Silver Side Up Review

8.5
 9.7
 7.3
Silver Side Up Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 05, 2003

Sound: The heavier and more modern-sounding music is one of the main things that takes this album a few steps higher than Nickelback's first studio offering, The State. The riffs on this album are much more creative and there are more guitar solos on this album, but not quite enough, though. The music is still awesome though. // 10

Lyrics: Silver Side Up's lyrics are also much better than The State's. I thinks Chad Kroeger looked a lot deeper inside to write the lyrics to SSU. The lyrics line up very well with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This album easily exceeds The State and matches up well with The Long Road. The best songs off this record are How You Remind Me, Too Bad, Just For, Hollywood, and Good Times Gone. The only thing that's missing are the guitar solos. There are some, but I wish there were more. I'd definitely buy it again if lost or stolen. I'd say it's worth the money. // 10

Silver Side Up Reviewed by: Rock God #1, on june 01, 2006

Sound: Now this is the reason that Nickelback are my favourite band! And now, allow me to take you through the album, one amazing song at a time. 01. Never Again - a mind-blowing introduction to the album, that has one of the roughest riffs on the album, and succeeds to maintain it's edge. Along with Chad Kroegers course voice, it makes for a great song! 02. How You Remind Me - we will never forget this one! This is the song that the whole album orientates around. Yes, How you remind me is Nickelback at their awe-inspiring finest. With the metaphorical verses and the anthemic chorus and bridge, the song shows you what this album 'is all about'! 03. Woke Up This Morning - along with Ryan Peake, Chad sings at a fast pace (only matched by songs "Flat on the floor" (on "The Long Road" album) and "Animals" (on the "All The Right Reasons" album)) and is accompanied by a heavy, ringing guitar riff. Ironically, try playing this in the morning. It'll wake you right up! 04. Too Bad - a Nickelback song that tells a great story of a rather grimy childhood, along with the struggles of later life. Accompanied by a tragic video, "Too Bad" is a great song that contains all of the things that Nickelback are: cracking vocals and sublime riffs. 05. Just For - Chad conveys his bloodlust in this track, with a rather heavy feel to it. Although not as good as the other songs on the album, it still makes for a good listen. 06. Hollywood - probably the best riff on the album, Hollywood uses electronic devices in the chorus, to make the song oh so much more great! Another song with the Nickelback signature structure, the song is well worth taking note of. 07. Money Bought - nothing special with this one really. However, the guitar riff is pretty good and the lyrics tell of what Nickelback hate about the way snobby people are. 08. Where Do I Hide - another good story in this song, "Where Do I Hide" tells the tale of a guy on the run, that (as you have guessed) doesn't have anywhere to hide. Belter. 09. Hangnail - I didn't rate this one when I first heard it, but it grows on you after the 3rd listen. Probably their worst (if you can even call it that) song on the album, Hangnail has yet another nice riff thrown in for good measure. 10. Good Times Gone - Not for us their not, as the album has seemed to get better and better! The last song on the album, Good times gone gives a very mellow feel, and is tinged with a hint of country. A really nice, smooth song to round it all off. Overall Nickelback at their best. Nice one Chad, Ryan, Mike and Nik (real name: Ryan). How will you best this? // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are simply stunning. Each song tells one hell of a story as songs should. The lyrics vary, from better to best! The metaphors that Chad uses in these songs (like "How You Remind Me") sstick firmly in your brain. You wouldn't scrape 'em out even if you used a shovel! Now the question is: can Nickelback go beyond this? Answer: of course they can. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is the jewel in Nickelback's nu-metal crown. This album is definitely better than both "The Curb" and "The State" put together. Is it better than the next two albums? In my opinion yes. Although, "All The Right Reasons" and "The Long Road" come very close to "Silver Side Up". Well done guys, you did it! The best songs on the album are "How You Remind Me", "Never Again", "Woke Up This Morning", "Too Bad" and "Good Times Gone". To be perfectly honest, every song on the album is excellent! This album got me into music. If it weren't for Nickelback, I would not be playing and writing this now. Thanks Nickelback! I owe you one. I do hate something though, it's too short! Why couldn't you have filled it with more of your magnificence? // 10

Silver Side Up Reviewed by: boyan89, on april 17, 2006

Sound: The sound on this CD was amazing. It has amazing guitar riffs all the songs sound awesome. The sound on this is way better than the Curb or The State because it is way more heavier than them. It ends with with acoustic but why couldnt it be like 9th on the album. So next time please guys put your acoustic songs like 1st or 9th. The best sounding songs were Never Again which by the way has a kick ass breakdown to it. The 2 others are Hollywood and Just For (it sounds heavier and better here than on Curb). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were amazing! He sounds the same live as he does on this album The Long Road and All The Right Reasons. The best lyrically sounding songs were Never Again, How You Reminded Me, Too Bad and Good Times Gone. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album was amazing its my 2nd favorite Nickelback album with All The Right Reasons in 1st place. The most impressive songs on this album are ah what the hell theirs no good and bad songs on this album. I love the fact they used more heavier stuff in this album than their past ones. I hate the fact that it ends with an acoustic just like all their albums and if it were stolen you don't even know what I'll do to the person. // 10

Silver Side Up Reviewed by: Nickelbitch, on april 24, 2006

Sound: Classic Nickelback sound. Especially in 'How You Remind Me'. Good solo's, but not their best. 'Just For' is awesome on this album. Compared to their version on Curb. Fairly heavy in some places. The riffs in 'How You Remind Me' are so simple though, I'm still amazed that a song with riff's so simple as that, was able to make 2002 (I think) Billboard award. Inspirational or what? // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in 'Never Again', really got to me, heavy with an angry lyrical story. Perfect match. The lyrics in 'How You Remind Me' were as simple as the riff. But still an incredible song. Woke up this morning had a nice theme to it. I thought anyway. About how someones managed to open you up & you dont like it. Too Bad, is magnificcent lyric-wise. Very clever & fairly heavy in the chorus. about a broken family. Just For was a good song all round, nifce beats & riffs, but not much more to it. Hollywood, about making it big, & not being easy. Good song all round in my opinion. Money bought's about a girl with rich parents. Pretty much steriotypical to the rich girls you get. Pretty cool song. Where do I hide is a very catchy song in my opinion. I think it might be about drugs & jail, but I have no idea, thats all I've managed to work out so far. Hangnail, I think is about drugs too, & their affects. I have no idea about this one though either. I like this song alot. Good times gone, is a very long song but has awesome affects all through it. It's theme is fairly self-explanetary. Good lyrics in this one too. // 10

Overall Impression: I beleive this CD compares as one of the best that they've released, & could not be improved much. The most impressive songs, I Reckon, Are Never Again, How You Remind Me, Too Bad, Good Times Gone & Where Do I Hide. // 10

Silver Side Up Reviewed by: kfong03, on november 20, 2006

Sound: This is my first Nickelback album and I was impressed. I first read of nickelback from the guiness world records 2004, where their single "too bad" stayed on the billboard 1st for 20 weeks, then after listening some of their songs and the recommendation of a friend, I went to the store to pick this up and I was satisfied. Nickelback has all the traditions and skills of a heavy rock band, but they add something new to their songs that I can't defy, the music is filled with excellent riffs that'll be stuck in your head for a long time, along with brilliant solos that'll have you wanting to hear more. Really recommended. // 9

Lyrics: Chad Kroeger reminds me of Kurt Cobain, they're both good guitarists and they have the low grunge voice. But the other special thing is the lyrics, the stuff here isn't just anger and grunge like any other heavy rock/emo band. The songs have a personality and self-reflection inside them, makes you think of what chad wants to think. Good stuff. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is doubtlessly a great album, the sound and lyrics will leave you wanting more, hard to really compare because it sounds so unique, but this is definitely a great rock album for me, the DVD that came with it showcases them at concert and many more behind-the-scenes parts that will give viewers a good insight to the band's personnel life, plus the bonus videos, interviews, documentries will give you what you'll expect from a trully great hard rock band Nickelback. // 10

Silver Side Up Reviewed by: Tag43, on august 25, 2008

Sound: Nickelback has always had a rough sound, with hard-hitting, tight riffs that drill into you. That sound is presented here, with the opening track Never Again. I especially love the bass line, and once the guitar riff comes in, it's just the best. I think all the songs, besides How You Remind Me show a very dirty, and gritty sound, which makes Nickelback who they are. // 8

Lyrics: Chad Kroeger is the main songwriter. In his lyrics, he shows us someone who's been tortured through emotions, are is just bitter and angery. I feel the best song lyric wise on this album is Hangnail, with expressive language and lyrics that say something, but mean something else with keeping it's agressive sound. The thing I like most about Nickelback is Chad Kroeger's throaty shouts and his raspy voice. Chad has a very distinct voice, and goes well with the music he plays. // 9

Overall Impression: Silver Side Up was released on September 11th, 2001, a time when America was in shock after the attacks on the World Trade Center. Silver Side Up gave people a wake up call with agressive lyrics and riffs. When I picked up this album, and heard it was released on 9/11, the first thing I did was look at the song list. With songs titled Woke Up This Morning, Where Do I Hide? and Good Times Gone, I don't know, I guess I thought, in such a time of peril, they release an album with songs like these that relate to the attacks. Anyway, below is what I think of each song on Silver Side Up. 01. Never Again - Silver Side Up opens up with a track about spousal abuse. Through the eyes of a child, who watches his "father" beat his mother daily, I presume. I think it's a great opener to an album like this. 02. How You Remind Me - the song that propelled Nickelback to stardom. Somewhat of a power ballad, Chad's voice is fantastic on this song. 03. Woke Up This Morning - this is my second favorite on this album. It has great lyrics, and wonderful riffs that just appeal to you. 04. Too Bad - Chad tells the story of how his father left when he was just a child. The thing that I like about this song is the solo, which is awesome. 05. Just For - this song was originally on their debut, Curb. Recreated fro Silver Side Up, this tells the tale of a man, who wishes he could exact revenge on a man for hurting a woman he cares for. 06. Hollywood - is a pretty good song with grinding guitars and pounding drum beats. Includes a voicebox on this song. 07. Money Bought - the beginning starts as a clean guitar riff, which quickly turns into a heavy rock and roll riff. It's not the best on the album, it's just mediocre in my opinion. 08. Where Do I Hide - my favorite off of Silver Side Up. Very fun to play on guitar, and has an awesome beginning. The solo is sick also. 09. Hangnail - an awesome and killer intro riff. One of the best off of the album, Hangnail is a great track. 10. Good Times Gone - a perfect closer to an album like this. Good Times Gone has sort of a southern rock feel to it, and Chad's vocals puts the cherry on top for this song. I had high hopes for this album, and it pulled through. Although some tracks are weaker than others at times, you won't be disappointed with Silver Side Up, probably Nickelback's best album. // 9

Silver Side Up Reviewed by: ESPman6505+, on may 28, 2009

Sound: 2001's Silver Side Up is such a great follow up to The State. Even though their sound was good in The State, it only got better on Silver. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that Chad and Ryan are using Mesa amps to get that Nickelback sound. Their post-grunge sound is perfect for the time Silver was released. // 9

Lyrics: Chad's lyrics on this album absolutely blow away their future albums like All the Right Reasons and Dark Horse. I'm pretty sure no song on here has a reference to sex like their later work. Throughout the whole album you can clearly tell that Chad is just filled with anger and hate. Songs like Never Again, Too Bad, and Just For show Chad's attitude and it fit's their grungy sound perfect. Chad's singing skills (in my opinion) are better on this album. He seems to have changed his style on newer albums (he sings higher in my opinion). His voice on this album is much deeper and edgier which is what I like. // 10

Overall Impression: I kno this isn't the best review of an album, but I just put this together really fast because I'm in school writing this. LOL But Overall this album is a def. 10/10. Compared to their other albums, this one is DA S***! Absolutly love it! It has great songs and great attitude. It's obvious that more people will like the singles from it like Never Again, How You Remind Me, and Too Bad. But there are lots of others that are very good like Just For, Hollywood, and Good Times Gone. I love the lyrical content on this album. Songs range from spousal abuse to rough childhoods. I would definatly buy this again if I lost it or it was stolen // 10

More Nickelback reviews rating latest review
+ Here And Now 6.6 08/24/2012