The Long Road Review

Lyrics: 7.4
 7.3
 7.5
The Long Road Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 08, 2003

Sound: The sound you will will when listening to this cd will make you know it's about Nickelback. The great intro's and the variation in the whole cd is great. You get some sentimental songs like"should've listenened and I include someday in this too. And very rough ones like Because of you and flat on the floor(which is way too short in my opinion). Indeed there aren't a lot of solo's, but maybe they are waitint for the next album with all their solo's...at least so I wish. // 8

Lyrics: Indeed sometimes the lyrics of Chad Kroeger are weird and not really fitting. But I must say that the lyrics have gone deeper and sometimes very emotional, I refer to "should've listened" again. But the three things I like about Nickelback are the lyrics, the instrumental-skills and the voice of Chad. SO I absolutely love the lyrics:D // 10

Overall Impression: The album quite was similar pretty different from everything else I hear. They have their own sound and it suits them. Best songs are "Should've listened", "See you at the show" and "Do this anymore". Bad side, they should' really try making more solo's. They know they can do it ;). I recommend it to all the people who have bought SIlver Side up. And i would certainly buy it back if stolen. I collect all their cd's. I'm still wanting Hesher(which is going to be hard). I just Love nickelback. thumbs up for the new album! // 10

The Long Road Reviewed by: METSOAD, on may 25, 2006

Sound: An album of many sides. In terms of production it is nothing new, with pounding but unimaginative bass lines, meaty guitars that never quite fullfill their heavy metal destinies and very good drumming which turns to be the highlight of the album (except the "Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting" solo done by the late great Dimebag Darrel Abbot, a freind of the band). Their sound is produced in a similar way to Load era Metallica, and POD or Staind at thier heaviest. // 8

Lyrics: Lots of topic displayed in this record, from Fear, (Believe It Or Not) stardom (See You At The Show), drunken violence (Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting (originally done by Elton John and Flat On The Floor) and insanity (Throw Yourself Away). The lyrical peak of the album is track 2 which is "Do This Anymore." I can't quite work out what it is about but the epic chorus of the song is actually pretty effective when combined with the music. But there are some truly stinky lyrics on this record. I mean, "Feelin' Way Too Damm Good" is about as immaginative as a Lard Sandwich and "Another Hole In The Head" is about as effective as Kurt Cobain trying not to take drugs. Also "Should've Listened" is just about as depressing as Lyrics get without being EMO (I'm not anti-emo just so you know) and the only reason they are depressing is because they are so bad. The singer actually has a respectable voice, making any emotion he tries to put accross clearly audible. He is particularly good at being angry. // 6

Overall Impression: The opening track is blisteringly fast and is called Flat on the Floor. It is a huge riff but it dosen't really change in the song at all, basically keeping the theme of "I'm going to kick your face in" during the riffs. Do this Anymore is track 2. It is the lyrical peak and has one of the best intros of a song on the album. There is a wimpish attempt at a guitar solo which stops this song from being very good instead of quite good. Someday is the "Run to the Hills" or "Enter Sandman" of the album, the 'pop' song as such with overly sad lyrics and a big chorus but it is redemed by a good guitar solo, Beileve It Or Not is a rather unusual song because it has some truly good bits, for example the bit before the solo, and some truly dire bits, the verses and the guitar solo. Feelin' way Too Damm Good is generally not very good but has an infectious chorus which isn't that bad. Because Of You is very heavy with a couple of monster riffs up its sleeve. The lyrics are not very imaginative but the chorus and the breakdown bits are very impressive. Figured You Out is another 'pop song' with simple and catchy lyrics and a simple guitar solo for beginners who want to learn Nickelback songs. Should've listened is the acoustic bit of the album but unlike otherer bands acoustic songs, for example Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead Or Alive" or "It's Been A While" by Staind, it is not one of the highlights of the album, indeed it is possibly the very lowest point. Throw Yourself Away is brilliant. The crunching riffs, the short but sweet solo, the excellent lyrics such as "Damm you for thinking we would never now and damm you thinking we would never mind" and the blistering drumming. Another Hole In The Head could have been a single. Very poppy in every way immaginable but I have found use for it as a good song to listen to while playing a motor racing game on a games console or PC. See You at the show has a very good riff and very nice acoustic verses. The Chorus is also pretty epic and the Bridge riff (or solo I don't know quite what it is yet) is superb. The first bonus track is Yanking out my, which has amusing lyrics but is overall not very good. Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting has the solo from the god Dimebag (RIP) and for a song that was originally meant for Piano has some really good riffs. Learn the Hard Way is just generally boring in every way. Overall I don't know what to think of this record. Do This Anymore, Because of You, Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting, See You At The Show and the brilliant Throw Yourself Away would be good on any good album you care to think of but I would frankly throw most of the rest it (not including Flat On The Floor and Believe or Not, which I would make B-Sides out of) to the bin because these songs are either awful or even worse. If the 5 best songs were released as a 5 Track EP they would have been a good record. Too much filler and Not enough of the supossed influences of Metallica and Dimebag they claim to use. // 6

The Long Road Reviewed by: NickelbackEst19, on september 05, 2003

Sound: Nickelback have, in their new album, managed to create a compilation of songs for everyone. For the people who like slow songs there is 'Should've Listened', for metal fans there is 'Because of You' and for rock and roll fans, there is 'Flat On The Floor'. I assure you that Nickelback fans and newbies will not be dissapointed. // 10

Lyrics: Chad Kroeger, the lead singer of Nickelback, has very clever rhymes and phylisophical lyrics, though sometimes not making much sense - but that is easily overcome. Chad's voice is perfect for the songs and it's lyrics, and easily beats some artists around today. // 8

Overall Impression: The Long Road is Nickelback's greatest album to date, and blows the previous album 'Silver Side Up' away. One of the most impressive songs is 'Do This Anymore', which could possibly be the next 'How You Remind Me.' This album is probably one of the best rock albums I have listened to, the only problem is the bonus tracks which are songs which all Nickelback fans would have heard already, and I should have been the upcoming B-sides. I would definately re-buy this album, and it was worth the money I paid. However said mainstream rock went out of style, obviously failed to hear Nickelback. // 10

The Long Road Reviewed by: TheGimpMaster01, on october 15, 2005

Sound: The sound is good if you hear it for a first time, but the guitars get really repetitive and boring after a while. Especially since they have used the exact same guitars on all of there other albums. They never change it, which I find annoying and uncreative. I like Nickleback, but I like them less every time I hear one of their songs. Take the song "Photograph." The chords are boring and overused! And the singer's part (Chad Kroeger or something) is unbelievable boring as it never changes. I give them a three for trying, though. // 3

Lyrics: The lyrics are actually not bad. They have some depth to them compared to the music. I like the lyrics. That's all I can really say about that. The singer's skills aren't bad. His voice is raspy, but it's good for the kind of music they do. // 6

Overall Impression: I really don't like this album at all. I think if it was stolen, I would just say "Ah heck". I'm not really impressed by it. I would say to you if you were considering buying it "you should really look at something else." This is a fairly boring album. // 3

The Long Road Reviewed by: Mike_rocka_boy, on april 04, 2005

Sound: The sound was cool. It is true Nickelback. Especially some of the tracks like "Figured You Out" and "Do This Anymore" were impressive. Flat on the floor does not really get the album off to a good start though. It is just a big bang out with full rocking would have been better off in the middle of album. // 8

Lyrics: Chad Kroeger is a pretty good singer although some of the lyrics are a little out of shape. // 8

Overall Impression: I think it is a fairly good album. Green Day's American Idiot would beat this buy a couple of reasons. The best songs in the album would be Someday, Figured You Out, Should've Listened and Do This Anymore. I still like this album and would buy it again if some thing happened to it. // 8

The Long Road Reviewed by: superguitarist1, on november 03, 2005

Sound: This album is more of a metal type sound. It's got a lot of good rhythym and is very well composed. It's a much bigger attraction than their previous album, Silver Side Up. Also on the featured/reperformed songs, by other various artists, they created a much cleaner sound to the songs and did much justice to them. // 10

Lyrics: Not a very political band, but a band that can be related to well by people ranking in age groups from as young as 13, to as old as 35 or 40. But when you listen to the songs you just know that each lyric was meant for each part of the song. They just go together like peanut butter and jelly. Simple as that. And Chad Kroeger's voice is like that of a god's. Where did this guy learn to sing? Did he learn from like a studio recording machine? He's amazing in that aspect! // 10

Overall Impression: I loved this album it's just great! I wouldn't buy it again though, I do have more important things to spend my money on. My favorite songs are these: Flat On The Floor (excellent guitar), Someday (amazing vocals), Feeling Way Too Damn Good (amazing composure), Should've Listened (awesome acoustic), Another Hole In The Head. Redone songs: Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting) and Learn The Hard Way. All of these songs are fabulously written/reperformed. So I definitely recommend this album. // 10

The Long Road Reviewed by: fox69, on november 25, 2005

Sound: Nickelback has always sorta been a neutral band to me. I don't mind their music, but I'm not a big fan or anything. That was until I saw them in concert and got this CD. Chad is a really good guitarist and ryan backs him up fairly well. Mike's bass, well it was alright but not the best. Drumming also was a little weak, but it wasn't bad. Overall a good rock sound. // 8

Lyrics: Chad's singing and lyrics are definetly what make this album stand out. He can write about actual experiences, and about fictional stuff too. His singing is also really good and that surprised me because it's rare to have a good singer who also plays guitar. Ryan's backing vocals also are very good. I think that in future albums him and Chad may split the lead singing like Daron and Serj of SOAD. A good album singing wise. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I was happy I got this CD. they can rock out in the CD and slow it down really quickly, but it still sounds good. Best songs are "Someday," "Flat On The Floor," "Because Of You," "Figured You Out." I also was lucky enough to get the version with the 3 bonus tracks "Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)," "Yanking Out My..." and "Learn The Hard Way," which are also favorites. I'd buy this if someone stole it, then beat the shit outta whoever stole it. // 9

The Long Road Reviewed by: PJamMan6, on february 06, 2006

Sound: Nickelback are an alright band, but really they are repative and I think all their songs sound the same. Also they might be geting a bit old because of their lack of variety. The singer has a distinct voice that can be told out from many ohters. The riffs aren't that complicated and this is the only Nickelback album that I have and I don't listen to it very much. The band, I think are really for a young teen audience and have many hits bought by their fans. // 5

Lyrics: The singer pumps the lyrics out like a machine with his pumpy out voice that he has. The lyrics are random, about the songs that they are for. They are relevant to the songs that they are for and they make wonderful sense and they never have no point, which is a bit of a shame for me because I like songs without any point. I don't really listen to the lyrics, but the lyrics for 'Photograph' absolutely suck, they all rhyme and it is like some 5 year old wrote it. Maybe some 5 year old did, who knows? // 2

Overall Impression: I had this given to me and I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it because it doesn't get played much by me. The Nickelback albums all sound the same according to me and I think 1 album is all you need to get what Nickelback are all about. I don't like the repetition of songs and sometimes I can't tell the difference between the album tracks. Nickelback are on the way downhill, making and releasing worse songs as they go on with their albums. So if I had to buy another album it would be the first because if I'm right they'll be good at the start and then worse at the end. Rock on. // 4

More Nickelback reviews rating latest review
+ Here And Now 6.6 08/24/2012