At The Gate Of Sethu Review

7.6
 6.5
 8.7
At The Gate Of Sethu Reviewed by: SPLANCHN0PHILE, on july 25, 2012

Sound: This album is incredible. I had an eargasm when I heard "At The Gate Of Sethu". This album contains some of Nile's finest and most brutal guitar work to date. I was slightly disappointed in "Those Whom The Gods Detest", but this album makes up for that in spades. This album features Nile's clearest sounding guitar tracks (their guitar tone is awful on their first albums IMO), which makes it easier to hear why Karl Sanders and Dallas Toler-Wade are some of the best guitarists in the business. // 9

Lyrics: When I listen to Nile, I normally don't focus or have high expectations for any deep or meaningful lyrics. If you're a technical death metal fan you know there's a lack of emphasis of lyrics, the must is most important. If you're a Nile fan you already know the content of their lyrics. // 7

Overall Impression: In times of djent and deathcore, it's still nice to see some technical death metal bands can still deliver and Nile does more than that with "At The Gate Of Sethu". This is definitely their best since "Annihilation Of The Wicked". If you're an old school metal head like myself, are a Nile fan, want to hear something interesting, or a fan extreme music buy this album now! You won't be disappointed. // 10

At The Gate Of Sethu Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2012

Sound: Musically speaking this is a good effort from Nile. George Kolias is outstanding as always, and there are some seriously tasty riffs. This is some of their fastest material to date, which is a feat in it's own right. I'm not a fan of the guitar tone or the overall production though - it does sound far too thin. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are to the usual high standard expected of Nile; well written and full of substance. I appreciate their desire to try new angles and ideas, but personally the vocals don't do much for me (particularly Dallas Toler-Wade, who seems to give progressively worse performances with each album). Karl Sanders still has one of the most brutal low vocals I've ever heard, and his input is a welcome respite from all the strained shouting from Dallas. Bring back Chief Spires or Jon Vesano on vocals with Karl! // 4

Overall Impression: For me, this album is no better or worse than "TWTGD". I won't be listening to it again for a while, as it didn't grab my attention in any way. If you've never heard Nile before, I would recommend Annihilation of the "Wicked Or In Their Darkened Shrines" as a starting point. This is a let down from one of my top bands. Such a disappointment. // 3

More Nile reviews rating latest review
+ Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-ka 9.3 07/01/2010