Ghosts I-IV Review

nine inch nails: Ghosts I-IV
Release Date: Mar 2, 2008
Label: Null
Genres: Industrial, Rock
Exhilarating, poignant, and overwhelming, Ghosts I-IV is like nothing you've ever heard before.
 9.1
 9.3
 8.8
Ghosts I-IV Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 03, 2008

Sound: Ghosts I-IV is the seventh studio album by the renowned Nine Inch Nails. As most of you know, Trent Reznor, the mastermind behind the opus that is NIN, bears a grudge against the music industry. It is for this reason that the band has decided to follow in the footsteps of Radiohead and release the album online for free -- well almost. Reznor has cleverly devised a scheme where he is giving away the first of the four nine-track EPs that form the 36 track instrumentals that is Ghosts I-IV for free. From there on, to obtain the next 3 parts of the concept album, the consumer can, much like the Radiohead album In Rainbows, choose how much he or she wants to pay for it. The difference is that the minimum you are allowed to pay is 5 dollars rather than the overly generous yet slightly daft zilch option that Radiohead were offering. This way, NIN can still sell much of their album for less than the corporate suits would have demanded, all the while raising a certain finger in the air directed at said money-obsessed outfits. The perfect compromise? But wait, it goes on. To add insult to injury, Reznor even uploaded the album to the popular torrent website www.thepiratebay.org for the less charitable of you out there unwilling to part with the meager 5 dollars requested. Raise your hand if Trent just became your favorite rock star... That's what I thought. Forget all the BS that ex-Blink 182 man Tom DeLonge keeps preaching about, Reznor is officially the top dog at the forefront of revolutionizing the way the music industry conducts its businesses. Now for the music itself. One word can sum up the album in its entirety: breathtaking. Reznor described it as a soundtrack of dreams. Nothing could be closer to the truth. Listening to the album in it's entirety track by track, the sounds of spooky synths, lighthearted yet haunting piano lines, and alien-like drumming, Ghosts I-IV is like nothing you've ever heard before. It's exhilarating, poignant, and overwhelming. The ambience on every track, mixed with NIN's classic industrial sound evokes images of peaceful construction sites, floating buildings, and noiseless apocalyptic earthquakes. If the eye of the storm (which is the calmest bit -- take heed BFMV) had a sound, Ghosts I-IV would be the soundtrack. // 9

Lyrics: The album stands perfectly without lyrics. Vocals would seem like an overstatement to the already over-euphoric 1.8 hours that is Ghosts I-IV. It would be like using acid to wash your hands when your average bar of soap would do (minus the pain obviously). // 10

Overall Impression: Upon realizing that the Ghosts I-IV consists of 36 tracks, not to mention instrumental tracks, many would find it hard to comprehend listening to the whole album in one sitting. Kind of like the eight hour art exam I have to 'art' through in 2 weeks time. But Ghosts I-IV is not the kind of album that you can 'enjoy' by listening to random tracks here and there. To get the whole 'Ghost's Experience', you must brave the whole one hour and forty eight minutes without rest, just you and your headphones. It is only then that you will understand and appreciate the true sonic oeuvre that is Ghosts I-IV. In fact, it would have been simpler had the album been made a la Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells format (an hour long track) making it easier to understand the concept behind the album. I personally would recommend the setting of a darkened room to heighten the 'ghostly' dream experience. So before you get going, quench your thirst, take a looong toilet break, tell your parents/ roommate/ grandma that you're staying hands free (if you get what I mean) and that you're not to be disturbed, lock the doors, dim the lights and begin dreaming. // 8

Ghosts I-IV Reviewed by: srilankasnprman, on april 03, 2008

Sound: Overall I believe that this is a phenomenal work by NIN and completely worth buying. It fits NIN and feels like an appropriate addition to their legacy. It retains their distinct style while doing something unique and refreshing. The sounds are beautiful and with Trent's beliefs in the record industries I would definitely buy this again if it got stolen. My one major issue with the CD is that after the first couple of active listens the CD seems to get repetitive. Despite this though the CD does make amazing ambient music or just something to listen to and let your mind wander. // 10

Lyrics: Well this is an instrumental record. The tracks really make no effort to have any lyrical value, the sound does a brilliant job of painting images in your head. Most of the songs create epic stories or poignant scenes or just twisted images that change with the dynamics of the song. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I believe that this is a phenomenal work by NIN and completely worth buying. It fits NIN and feels like an appropriate addition to their legacy. It retains their distinct style while doing something unique and refreshing. The sounds are beautiful and with Trent's beliefs in the record industries I would definitely buy this again if it got stolen. My one major issue with the CD is that after the first couple of active listens the CD seems to get repetitive. Despite this though the CD does make amazing ambient music or just something to listen to and let your mind wander. // 8

Ghosts I-IV Reviewed by: AEnima18, on april 03, 2008

Sound: This is the latest album released by industrial rock legend Trent Reznor, under the band name Nine Inch Nails. It was kept pretty quiet and was so highly demanded by fans on its release on March 2nd that the servers on the official website could not cope. This is because I've kinda lied, because due to NIN's split from all labels, this was an internet-only release. I was impressed with the cost, $5.00 (about 2.50 for me in the UK) for a massive 36 tracks is impressive. Already it's plain to see this is no ordinary record. The album was recorded in some "intensive" sessions with long-time collaborator Alan Moulder and friend Atticus Ross. The album also features instrumentation from other artists such as former live keyboardist Alessandro Cortini. On to the music itself. The volumes themselves do not seem to have individual concepts, the music seems to go wherever it wants to throughout. It feels extremely natural, and Reznor himself has described the "soundtrack to daydreams". It has to be said, this is very good music for putting on your ipod, taking a walk and just, well thinking about stuff (and it's still possible to enjoy the music at the same time). The music ranges from soft piano and acoustic guitar, to booming drums, distortion and effects not too dissimilar from those used on NIN's earlier work. In this sense, fans of the older and newer incarnations of tye band should be satisfied, with such a wide range of musical styles on offer. // 9

Lyrics: There are NO vocals on the album, so I guess this bit isn't really needed! But because I have to rate it I'll have to give it 1. The lack of vocals does not make this a "boring" album by any means, if you are a genuine lover of music. The music manages to make up for the lack of them, and the songs are not structured like a vocal-based track. // 10

Overall Impression: I would reccomend this album, not only to NIN fans, but also to fans of music in general. If you're looking for 'With Teeth' or 'The Downward Spiral', you won't find them here, only musical elements of them. But the musicianship is undeniable, and originality was always something that this band did. It would still be better to hear about 14 tracks with vocals, in my opinion, but this album shows a genuine love for creativity that is sometimes left behind in this genre. // 8

Ghosts I-IV Reviewed by: paperskyx, on november 24, 2008

Sound: Nine Inch Nails really took a leap in this album, aside from their more general music. I think they really did a great job with each and every one of these songs, as each one leaves you with a different effect, as you're sitting there, thinking, "I can't comprehend this. It was just amazing." It's almost indescribable. NIN used strange music styles in this album. There was some rock, and the ability to mix acid rock with a creepy and lonely feeling is rare, but they did it! I was very impressed with all the effects this album gave off. Every song represents the same feeling, but to a different extent and with greater quality. // 9

Lyrics: Although there weren't any lyrics for me to rate, I'd like to say that they made the right the choice in making these songs instrumental. I believe the fact that there aren't any lyrics is what makes the whole album what it is. There isn't much they could put for lyrics anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, Ghosts I-IV doesn't compare to other albums, as it almost manipulates your feelings and makes you feel lonely and strange. No other album I've ever listened to have made me feel like that, or made me think so strongly of a particular subject. I was very impressed with just that alone. I think the two most impressive songs on the album were the eighth, because it can mix acid rock with a peculiar feeling that sticks with you, and definitely the ninth song. The ninth song just blew me away, as mild as it is. It's the perfect song, and again, it just leaves you with a strange feeling of loneliness. It is one of my favorite songs, and Ghosts I-IV is my favorite album. // 10

More Nine Inch Nails reviews rating latest review