The Fragile Review

nine inch nails: The Fragile
Released: Sep 21, 1999
Genre: Rock
Styles: Industrial, Alternative Pop/Rock, Industrial Metal
There are new frills, yet these aren't apparent without digging and what's on the surface isn't necessarily inviting, either.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 9.6
 9.5
 9.7
The Fragile Reviewed by: PaRaBoLaTooL420, on august 02, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album, just as any Nine Inch Nails album is utterly amazing. The sound Trent Reznor creates take you somewhere far away, a different journey with each and every song. You can feel the heart and the emotion that Trent put into this album, it just comes at you so hard you almost feel embarassed to be listening. The instrumental songs on the album are absolutely beautiful, and really speak for themselves. Although each song takes you a different place, each part of the album (left and right sides) are sort of 'one big piece of music.' Each song leads into the next perfectly, and it's just a journey you'll never forget the first time you listen to the album the entire way through. Nobody can do it like Trent when it comes to creating an amazing sound, and this album is no different. // 10

Lyrics: I never really thought Trent's lyrics were very profound, but really he doesn't intend for them to be. He isn't trying to tackle issues that face the world, it isn't political or anything it's all extremely personal. There are different facets to the lyrics that only Trent could understand, and we can only guess at. With an album so personal, you can feel the emotion in his voice and start to understand what he's feeling as he sings, sometimes softly and fearful (The Great Below), and other times on the complete opposite side of the spectrum (Star--ers Inc.) I love the instrumentals so much that sometimes Trent's vocal input really isn't needed - because the music speaks for itself, but overall the lyrics are pretty damn good. // 8

Overall Impression: Nine Inch Nails really isn't comparable to any other artist, maybe prodigy, but I would say Nine Inch Nails is much more emotional and 'real.' I love a different song from the album each day, they all have something special about them, it's just a matter of finding what sticks out at you. The songs that I've really been feeling lately are, "The Day The World Went Away," "Just Like You Imagined," "The Great Below," "Star--ers Inc.," "The Fragile," and "Pilgrimage." There really isn't anything about this album I hate, and it's definently something I would recommend to fans of bands like Tool, Prodigy and anyone who's into industrial stuff. // 10

The Fragile Reviewed by: Dante_Diaz, on october 06, 2006

Sound: Well this I belive is NIN best album so far, it's the perfect blend between old and new Nine Inch. This album opens great with a simple riff and then just blows you away with a wide array of effects, lyrics and amazingly creative guitar riffs to complete the sound. // 10

Lyrics: Trent Reznor is on a roll for the lyrics of The Fragile. At times the lyrics seem forced and a bit off but a majority of the time he is feeding great lyrics and showing amazing control of voice while still keeping his signature sound. While it doesnt't show Trent to his full potential, like you might hear on Non-entity, it give a lot of soul to the music and give the album a personality. // 9

Overall Impression: This is my favorite album ever, although it has a few faults (like the feeling of forced lyrics) it's an otherwise solid piece of work. It is one of the few albums that you can listen to the whole way through and enjoy every minute of it. One of the most impressive songs on the album is "We Are In This Together Now" opens simply and closes on a brilliant note. If I lost this album I would go out in an instant and buy another copy. To me it would be worth it. // 9

The Fragile Reviewed by: Shredmaster42, on march 15, 2008

Sound: Ahh, The Fragile. Halo 14. This is it. A two disc full length album featuring some of the best NIN tunes to roll out of frontman/1 man band Trent Reznor's head. Released in 1999, the album features 23 amazingly composed material that almost seem to take the listener on a vast journey and reminisions like how the songs "The Frail" and "The Fragile" sound very similar. This also happens on tracks like "La Mer"(one of my favourites) and "Into the Void". The songs are very crisp sounding with nasty Industrial guitars-that-have-been-pro tooled-beyond-recognition on tracks like "No, You Don't" and "Starf--kers, Inc" and the somewhat creepy synth solos in "The Wretched". Not as political as Year Zero(2007), but it is very moody and this album is great to listen to if you have "one of those days". // 10

Lyrics: I absolutely love the lyrical content of this album. The words always seem to fit with each and every song, and not to mention a story behind them all. There are a fair share of instrumental tracks, but a very cool one is "Pilgrimage". It seems to be a "double sided" song, as it starts off with an almost happy, prosperous feeling which later turns into something way more synical and evil.I like the way Reznor creates these feelings and senses without using any lyrics at all. Reznor's voice still yields a very strong pressence and can be soft and quiet when the need arises, but it is nowhere as powerful as 89's Pretty Hate Machine. // 9

Overall Impression: An amazing accomplishment for the band in the 10 years since PHM and '94s Downward Spiral. The album is so vast and deep it is grotesque at times and subtle at another time, it all depends on what you look for in an instant classic album. If you want to get into NIN's music, or never heard them ever, I suggest starting with this. // 10

The Fragile Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 21, 2009

Sound: The Fragile is a two CD concept album, containing 23 songs, each one as beautiful as the next. This is my personal favourite of all the NIN albums. There is an amazing range in sound and texture, which you can instantly fall in love with. Not all of the songs are are raw and gritty as Closer from The Downward Spiral, but they don't need to be. My personal favourites from this album are The Fragile, The Wretched, Into The Void, Please and Starfuckers, Inc. // 10

Lyrics: I have heard many people talk about the forced lyrics on this album. However, I am not sure what they are talking about. I believe that this album contains some of the most beautiful lyrics ever written, as well as some of the angriest and thought-provoking. His singing is quite different from previous releases, but by no means less emotional. The Great Below has enchanting lyrics and are sung in such a way that we realise that this is an incredibly personal song to Trent. // 9

Overall Impression: I could simply put "The best album ever recorded. Buy it now" and it would be sufficient. Beautiful songs, not one low point, with a fabulous range of styles. It is vastly different to any other NIN album, but it still seems familiar, as if you are with an old friend. It spawned a few of NIN's famous tracks, such as Starfuckers, Inc. The Fragile (the title song) and The Wretched. If I were to have no other album for the rest of my life, I would be content with this. The very first NIN album I heard, when a friend lent it to me and I loved it so much, I brought myself a copy. If I were to lose my copy, I would by myself another one. It also spawned a companion album "Things Falling Apart", containing remixes, original songs and one cover, which I also own and love. // 10

More Nine Inch Nails reviews rating latest review