From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah Review

nirvana: From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah
Released: Oct 1, 1996
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge
All songs delivered in the loudest, most frenzied, and sometimes the sloppiest versions imaginable.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 9.3
 9.2
 9.4
From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah Reviewed by: Nacho2006, on may 03, 2004

Sound: The sound quality of this album is fairly good, considering it is a compilation of live songs, from a band known for making a lot noise. Over all though it kicks ass. Some songs are actually better than studio albums, they tend to have more energy, which i love. Songs like Polly, are different adn i like this version better than the acuostic on nevermind and unplugged. The song Tourettes can really get blood pumping and Teen Spirit, Drain You, Sliver, adn Lithium all have more of an impact, to name a few. The intro really adds to realism too. But at the last 4 tracks, you get more feedback and treble from hot miks. // 8

Lyrics: Well, any nirvana fan appreciates all of Kurts lyrics. Tourettes though, you can't really tell what he's saying. But this is a live CD so dont expect it to be crystal clear, its just what Nirvana sounds like live. Kurts lyrics always move me, so i liked them. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, this album was put together after Kurts death, so its not anything new. Polly, Aneurysms, Heart Shaped Box, Lithium, and Drain You are my favorites on the CD. I just love the fact that this is a CD made to capture a band that sounded pretty much the same in the studio as they did on stage. The fact that it has 17 songs doesnt hurt either. I dont hate anything about the album. This was actually my first Nirvana CD,(yes because it had Teen Spirit), and it was made before the "Best Of" came out, so I would definitely buy it if it was lost or something. But i have to say, if you never could get to see Nirvana live, like me (i became a fan when i was about 9, a few year after Kurts death) then definitely pick this album up. If i'm not mistaken, Krist Novelselich put it together, so it does ( i hope) capture the essence of the band. Buy this album, then crank it up and hope your ears ring afterward... and i cant believe that it hasn't been reveiwed before. // 10

From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 11, 2005

Sound: This is Nirvana as they're meant to be heard. It may just be a rehash of live performances but sounds great. All the songs are played with a different attitude then on the CD and it's pretty refreshing compared to all the cleaned up studio tracks. // 10

Lyrics: As I've said it's just a rehash of live performances, but I've always admired Cobain for his great lyrical skill. He's got a unique sense of writting. Cobains singing faultered a little bit, but it just added to the performances. // 8

Overall Impression: This is probably one of the best live albums I have heard. All of the tracks make an impression so it's hard to find one in particular. If this CD where stolen I'd go right out and buy a new one. // 10

From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2004

Sound: Wow. Kurt Cobain shoulda heard how well he could play live. It so god damn awesome. Every distortion he uses is rite,except for the clean intro to "Drain You". They tear through classics such as "Blew, Scentless Aprrentice, Breed, Lithium, Sliver and Teen Spirit" Though Kurt could never get the intro rite in the studio for " Teen Spirit" the chorus is underwhelming. Kurt gets quite physical in the solo to "Teen Spirt", though you cant see it. you can feel it. THIS has an excellent sound. Krist's thumping bass is amazing.Theres nuthing to it. Its friggen amazing. they had 2 different drummers on this album Chad Channing on "Breed" and "Polly" and Dave on the rest. Chad is very underwhelming(but hes in 2 songs so who gives)Dave GRohl is flat out an amazing drummer. If he was doing "Breed" it would have been better. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, well I can't say much about them because it was live. Nirvanas lyrics area always good but, Kurt's voice sounded hoarse through every song, except "Been a Son," "Blew". On "Sliver" it sounds like hes singin with a cigarette in his mouth, for Verse 1 with only bass. Kurts singing skill is underwhelming // 8

Overall Impression: I would compare this too "Incesticide" bcuz theres one song i dont liek Drain You on Muddy Banks and Mollys Lips ion Incesticide, but hell this is at least x10 as good as any Blink-182 album.if this were stolen, I would do anything i could to get it back, if there was a reserved copy at a CD storeid pay them $30 plus the original price, its worth it.I simply luv everything on this album except for "Drain You" Kurts singing iss so off and theres this weird chorus effect. // 10

From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah Reviewed by: _futurerockstar, on april 20, 2006

Sound: The sound quality is pretty shocking as its a live compilation album, songs were taken from 1989 up until 1994 and chucked onto this album which kurt will never know about as it was released in 96. Nothing much is different only a few variations in songs with tempo, drum patterns, lyrics etc. but overall pretty plain and the point, but awesome. // 8

Lyrics: As almost every fan knows kurts music was simple. He wrote simple and catchy riffs and his lyrics were from the heart. The good thing was it sounded good with little amounts unlike other bands who try to cram full their songs with a load of crap to make it sound better, but it just becomes a racket. Overall nice. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a nice album if you a one for spending time at gigs. Most bands when playing their music live keep it all the same. But Kurt improvises, with solos, riffs, lyrics and even dave grohl on drums manages to variate with drum patterns, like on Heart-Shaped Box. So it's good if you want to be proven that Nirvana are good on stage as well as in the studio. I lover the sheer atmosphere and the feedback that Cobain gets on some songs (Negative Creep, Smells Like Teen Spirit) is totally out of this world. Buy this album if your into live music, and sit back and relax or get up and mosh! // 9

More Nirvana reviews rating latest review
+ Amsterdam Love Buzz [Bootleg] 7.5 06/13/2013