Incesticide Review

artist: nirvana date: 06/20/2008 category: compact discs
nirvana: Incesticide
Released: Dec 1992
Genre: Rock
Tones: Volatile, Rebellious, Quirky, Aggressive, Acerbic, Freewheeling, Fiery, Fun, Raucous
Styles: Grunge, Alternative Pop/Rock
 Lyrics: 8.6
 8.6
 9.4
Incesticide Reviewed by: Teen Spirit, on june 28, 2007

Sound: I personally consider this one of the best rock albums ever. Depending on the song, the music itself is either hard, sharp, grungy, deep, straight and good (e.g. Dive, Aneurysm), or soft, poppy, light-hearted, happy and fun (e.g. Covers like Molly's Lips, Son Of A Gun). Nirvana has a good blend of various rock songs in this album, everything from their alternative sounding pop-rock to their famous grungy, hard and heavy sound. Of course, this album was a good comeback after Nevermind, especially with songs such as Sliver, Been A Son, Polly and Aneurysm. Out of 10, I would rate this 9. Their styles and sounds are fantastic. Kurt really seems to have thought deeply about what he was about to put into the album. Great job. 01. Dive - this song features Nirvana's famous heavy-hitting sound, and the chorus really reminds you of Kurt Cobain and no one else. Very dynamic song. 02. Sliver - I think this is one of the best song on the album. Despite the wierd counts and three-line verses and the senseless lyrics in the chorus (Grandma take me home), the way every verse is sung differently just gives the song just the right effect, and this fits Nirvana perfectly. 03. Stain - rather depressing compared to the other songs, the lyrics (I'm a stain) repeating itself over and over really does make you feel "like a stain". Kurt Cobain may have been reflecting upon his own life in a negative way with this comparison, but who knows? 04. Been A Son - this should definitely be one of their best songs ever, even though it is simple and straightforward. The guitar riffs are simple, and once again, the chorus is only a repetition of the words (She should've; been a son.) Yet the matching melodies and verse lyrics make it a very entertaining song to listen to. 05. Turnaround - this song is a cover song, the first of 3 in a row. It is a pretty good song, even though the talking during the song just somewhat does not seem to fit in. But a good cover though. 06. Molly's Lips - this song is a Vaselines cover, and it is fast-beating and poppy. It is fun to listen to, that's for sure, but the same guitar riffs are repeated over and over, along with the same lyrics every verse and chorus. Not bad at all, but a very simple song. 07. Son Of A Gun - perhaps one of Nirvana's best covers ever. Another Vaselines cover, and a pretty good one too. Nice and poppy, light-hearted and fast. It is very entertaining to listen to, and is a fun song on guitar as well. They skipped the guitar solo and put in a bridge instead, but the chorus sounds better than the original Vaselines version of it. 08. (New Wave) Polly - this is another fast-beating song, and surprisingly punky for a band like Nirvana. It is great, the way every verse starts off with something about "Polly". 09. Beeswax - this is not a bad song, but the vocals are just very "Kurt-ish". The music is good though; it's just not a song that you might list amond your favorites. 10. Downer - If I am not mistaken, this is a second version, a fresher, rawer and slightly faster version of the one on Bleach. 11. Mexican Seefood - this song is another very very "Kurt-ish" type of song, and as you can judge by it's title, it is another one of those "random" songs that Nirvana produced over the years. 12. Hairspray Queen - I just love this song. Kurt Cobain's pshyco high-pitched singing along with some fantastic guitar riffs, a great chorus with a strange but great outro. Wonderful. Very Nirvana-style. 13. Aero Zeppelin - another good Nirvana song. Kurt Cobain really does know how to write first-class music. This is why Nirvana turned out so popular. This is one of those first-class songs. 14. Big Long Now - this is not one of the best on the album, but it is a reasonably good song. Kurt Cobain seems to have described the song with it's title, "Big Long Now". The song is the longest song in the album, at a little past 5 minutes. 15. Aneurysm - this might just be the best song in the album. The guitar riffs, Kurt Cobain's vocals, the back vocals, the string-bending, the last bit where the repetition comes back, this is just a fantastic rock song. I love it. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics might not exactly make sense, but that is just part of this band's style, especially Kurt, and it is all part of the Grunge genre. Many of the chorus lyrics are just simple repetitions, such as in Sliver, where "Grandma take me home" just about takes up half the song, and in Stain, where "I'm a stain." repeats itself over and over in the chorus, and in Aneurysm, in which everything is a repeat. These songs are simply constructed, but that may just be what's making these songs so good. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this may be Nirvana's most consistent album. There are no "bad" songs; only some mediocre senseless songs, but overall, very good. First class. The other albums are good, but there are always these wierd songs that you are sure to skip. This album is consistent, and you can go the whole way through. Great band. Great album. // 9

Incesticide Reviewed by: Abstract_Man, on may 28, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is what Nirvana are grunge. It's nothing special, but in the fact that it isn't special, the emotion and everything else that Cobain et al put in shines through, therefore making it special. It's wise to keep in mind that some of the recordings are old b-sides and radio performances, but regardless of what's said or done, the sound is superb. Especially when turned up loud. // 10

Lyrics: One of Nirvana's strong points were the lyrics. Sliver is the stand out track lyric wise, 'mum and dad went to a show/dropped me off at grandpa Joe's/kicked and screamed said please don't go/grandma take me home', as they're just simple lyrics that describe the situation but, more importantly, fit perfectly. There are then other songs like 'Been A Son', 'Aero Zeppelin', 'Downer', 'Anaeurysm' and 'Big Long Now', which are all, in my opinion underrated lyrics. 'Big Long Now' is a genius of a song. Cobain was able to show what he can do with his voice on this album as well, with the angular track 'Hairspray Queen', 'Beeswax' and 'Mexican Seafood'. The fact that he is able to get these almost psychotic screams from his mouth, it's amazing. It's hard to imagine what it must have felt like to know that you're making the screams too. Unfortunately, due to the singing on 'Hairspray Queen', it takes a while to get into. But after a while, you grow to love it. // 10

Overall Impression: While I think this album is great, it still doesn't compare to In Utero. However, it's different to a lot of other things, and makes a good change. 'Anareusym', 'Big Long Now', 'Aero Zeppelin', 'Sliver', 'Been A Son', 'Dive', etc. They're all great songs. They're all so different too, so I find it hard to pick a favourite as they tend more to match my mood. Covers such as 'Son Of A Gun', 'Molly's Lips' and 'Turnaround' are good too. I love this album. It was the first real Nirvana album I brought, and I think that was probably a wise move, as I got to see the poppy side to them and the pure grunge side to them in one go. It set me up well for Nevermind, and In Utero. The only dislike is the amount of time it took to get used to Cobains singing in some of the tracks. If I lost this I'd buy it again. If it was stolen, I'd find the thief and steal it back. I advise you, no, urge you, to buy this album. // 10

Incesticide Reviewed by: bryon, on december 10, 2003

Sound: It's Nirvana, so the sound is gonna be raw, and since these are b-sides, and a lot of earlier recordings, there is a very grungy sound, and less of the pop side of it. It's still on the subpop label though, so it sounds a lot like their Bleach album than anything, but you still won't be dissapointed. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent, Kurt Cobain is a genius when it comes to song writing, even if you can't understand what he's saying, you still know it has meaning. His singing style varies from song to song, from his clean voice (new wave polly, been a son), to his more deeper almost growl (aneurysm, stain, dive) to his all out can't really describe and can't really tell what he's singing (Beeswax, Hairspray Queen), all good onone the less though. // 10

Overall Impression: This is in my mind one of there best albums, along with bleach, it is definatley worth buying, and if I lost it I would no doubt buy another copy. The way he uses his voice on this one really stands out, like in Harspray Queen, and Beeswax, other tracks that are really good are Dive, Big long now, and New Wave Polly. So if your any kind of Nirvana fan, I would definitely recommend buying this cd. // 10

Incesticide Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2004

Sound: This album was a split of "Nevermind" and "In utero" and it was probably the best album to describe NIRVAVA. It starts off with "Dive" a true NIRVANA song,simple and effective. It ends with "Anurism" a favorite live of NIRVANA and one of mine. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, the best song to describe it is "Sliver" (which actuly wasn't an original recording for the album) wich has lines such as "my mom and dad went to a show, they dropped me off at grandpa jo's", this song is the gateway into Kurt Cobains childhood and was featured on "Bleach". // 10

Overall Impression: A great album, which describes NIRVANA to a T. // 10

Incesticide Reviewed by: feesk8ordie, on september 17, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is awesome. There is such a range of styles. From the churned up Dive to the slow grinding Big Long Now. My favourite tracks sound wise are Big Long Now, Son Of A Gun and the funky Hairspray Queen. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, and as this is more of a compilation CD, it has songs from all the diffrent time periods of Nirvana. It is interesting to see how Kurt's songwriting evolves. From the immature Downer to the autobiographical Been a Son and Sliver, there is a wide range of topics covered. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably the most unusual Nirvana album, as the music styles range so much, and it's so different to all their other albums. It takes a while to grow on you, but once it does, you won't want to stop listening to it. It has metal tracks (Big Long Now), pop tracks (Son Of A Gun), rock (Been A Son) and even pop, rock funk (Hairspray Queen.) I love this album. If it were stolen I'd buy another copy. (I picked my copy up for 5, which is about $8!) Go buy it now! // 10

Incesticide Reviewed by: kurt_isnot_dead, on november 07, 2005

Sound: I think it's the most homogeneous album of Nirvana, the track 1 (Dive) makes you think is Nevermind 2, except that if you are Nirvana fan only because slts, (I don't like that song but also doesn't like Teen Spirit too much) you will jump that song (sorry loosers). From track 2 (Sliver) to track 8 (New Wave Polly) you get pop-rock songs like Been A Son or Son Of A Gun, that are really hooky, it has 3 covers, Turnaround (Devo), Son Of A Gun and Molly's Lips (Vaselines) I think the purpose of that is to kept you listening until track 9 (Beeswax), after this comes my favorite part of the album(Beeswax included) Downer (many people say this one is Nirvana best song) Mexican Seafood (one more metal/punk song, good but not so much) Hairspray Queen (recorded on Bleach sessions I think, Novoselic says "oh we were so "new wave", Aero Zeppelin (this song was played on nirvana first public show in a party in'87, krist stiil doesn't know on whos house was) Big Long Now (my favorite Nirvana song, recorded in blech sessions too, long but cool) and the final track, Aneurysm (the better crafted song, and by far the best song of the album, I like the final chorus with 3 vocal tracks, sounds amazing and lets you a really new impression of Nirvana). // 9

Lyrics: I'm going to be honest, it's a rarities and b-sides album, dont expect too much cause you gonna get really disappointed, I think the best lyrics are in Sliver, Big Long Now and Aneurysm (3 of 15, what is that). // 7

Overall Impression: I think is a bridge between Nevermind and In Utero, it's for all Nirvana fans, from the posers to the weirdos, you are not buying an studio record but you get that feeling, Big Long Now leaves a big fat mark on you, you will never forget, also is the first riff that I figure it out by myself, and I'm really proud of that, there are two things on it that I really hate, the anoying sound oin the beginning of son of a gun and as I say before I really don't like Dive. // 9

Incesticide Reviewed by: SuperAnalytical, on december 12, 2005

Sound: 'Incesticide' is Nirvana's compilation album. From their own copywritten material in 1988, to 1992 from Sub Pop to Geffen, this CD is wonderful. 3 Songs are covers of inspirations for Kurt Cobain, the Vaselines and another band I don't know. All of the songs included on this disc were pre-record company written songs from Kurt, along with the Kurt and Krist composition 'Dive'. It also includes the New Wave version of 'Polly', written by Kurt, Krist, and Dave. This CD shows signs of bad recording compared to other releases by Nirvana. Besides this fact, the CD is unique for Nirvana. It goes between poppy music and ball-bashing straight ahead rock. 01. Dive - one of my favorite songs off of this album, and quite possibly the best. Has hard-edge feel with excellent dynamics between the opening and other parts in the song. 02. sliver - a story-song inspired by multiple occasions of Kurt's childhood drop-offs to his grandparent's house in times of harshness between his parents. Creative, yet bland. 03. Stain - possibly a personal account of Kurt's feelings toward his significance in life. Intriguing, but not very entertaining. 04. Been A Son - not sure what to say of this. I don't find it anything really. Sort of a good loss for Nirvana for this not being well known. 05. Turnaround - poppy, upbeat. Not sure of who is covered on this one, but it's ok. 06. Molly's Lips - Vaselines cover. Great upbeat-ness to it. A better song on the album. 07. Son Of A Gun - another good Vaselines cover. More upbeatness. Very poppy. 08. (New Wave) Polly - very punk for Nirvana. Nice and quick, definately not as mellow as the 'Nevermind' acoustic version. Good variation of an already great song. 09. Beeswax - I'm not sure what I can say about this. The music sounds good, but the vocals are a little indecipherable. 10. Downer - a rawer version of what is heard on 'Bleach'. Maybe a little faster, but nothing new. 11. Mexican Seafood - a first-hand account from Kurt on bothering bathroom trips. Sort of creepy and insignificant. 12. Hairspray Queen - high-pitched screaming on Kurt's part. Indistinguishale stupidity really. I dislike everything besides the actual music behind it. 13. Aero Zeppelin - nice everything really. Nothing too much to complain about here. 14. Big Long Now - is just what it says. Big and long. The longest song on the CD at 5:03. Interesting trade between vocals and music. Sort of just "there". 15. Aneurysm - this song just does not make sense on this CD. It's just so good why did it have to be with such low quality stuff? Anyways, nice instrumental intro to the whole song from fast to very mellow and slow. // 7

Lyrics: Kurt Cobain at his lowest pretty much. Oh well, he's still good for what he's done. The lyrics and music together make sense, on occasion. // 6

Overall Impression: I love that it has some good songs. I hate that it has many crap songs. I would buy it again, just to have it in my collection, but not necessarily to enjoy that greatly. Nice and raw, but at times too raw and inexperienced seeming. Impressive songs are 'Aneurysm' and 'Dive'. Nothing much else to say. If you love Nirvana, buy it. If you like Nirvana, check it out. If it's your first Nirvana, take this along with 'In Utero'. Compare and enjoy! Good album for what it's worth. I still love Nirvana though. // 8

Incesticide Reviewed by: matchbox, on january 25, 2006

Sound: This particular Nirvana album is different to the others. I was not impressed with this particular album however it's not to say that it isn't to some peoples tastes. This album was compiled of B-Sides and compilation tracks which had been left out from other albums (and I can see why). // 3

Lyrics: The lyrics in most of the songs are quite boring and would not be my choice to listen to. However the new wave polly is a good track as it is a faster mix of the original Polly thus making it more entertaining and less sleep inducing. Kurt's vocals remain much the same as in previous albums and I can't really note him down on that. // 6

Overall Impression: This album, I'm my opinion, does not so much as even show a smattering of hope in comparison to other Nirvana albums. There are few songs I would personally sit and listen to but this however is down to personal preferance. If this album were stolen I would first ask why? Then I would just ignore the fact it had been stolen. I would not buy this album again I would most likely just get a friend to download it from the internet for me and burn a copy. // 5

Incesticide Reviewed by: hellfire21, on october 05, 2007

Sound: Well, to describe Nirvana's sound you'd probably think "pop sound, cool riffs, rythmic lyrics". Well, you can throw most of these things out the window. Nirvana sounds raw and heavy here. Only "Sliver" and "Been A Son" have that pop sound. Everything else is full of heavy, distirted riffs, much like some of the songs on "Bleach". They all consist o Mumbled or screamed lyrics from Cobain. The way I'm making this sound may imply that I don't like this cd, but it's the exact opposite. I love the dynamics of this cd! So different from "Nevermind", so good. // 9

Lyrics: Man, where to start on this cd? Well, I could put it this way, the lyrics are sorta like "Nevermind"'s in the sense that they don't make sense. But the way their sung is different. Ofthen mumbled and quite low songs trn into insane screamfests. The opening track, "Dive", is much like this. Very hard to understand the verse. But when he screams the chorus, "Dive, Dive, Dive, Dive in ME!", it's pretty clear what he's shouting. Other songs are sung just plain weird, but it works. "Hairspray Queen" and "Mexican Seafood" are probably the weirdest ones. A ten for one of the greatest singers of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: Now, it's hard to compare a Nirvana album to "Nevermind" and "In Utero", but this is definetly 3rd on my list. To some "fans" (the guys who listened just because "Nevermind" was great) this was disappointment. But to me, and other true Nirvana fans, this album is pretty good. I love "Sliver", "Dive", "Anuerysm" and "Been A Son". Nothing bad on this album. Definetly a must for people who don't have "Nevermind", because it's something different. A very solid 9 for Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl. // 9

Incesticide Reviewed by: Madvillain_Me, on june 20, 2008

Sound: Incesticide was an album all on its own, it passes as one of their studio album, no question. The songs are amazing, and I know it sounds lame just to say it like this, but weird. "Hairspray Queen" is one of the best Nirvana songs, great guitar, bass, drums, and yeah why not, vocals too. Any fan would not mind Cobain's style of voice, and it doesn't take a while to get used to, it just sounds incredible. Along with "Aneurysm" that is one of their best songs, this album is full of early Nirvana, raw, and angry, and alienated. "Sliver" is a powerful song, even though it's a simple one. "Beeswax" is another song that is a highlight of the album, the lyrics are impossible, and the sound is rich in dissonance. "Big Long Now" a song that I think is about aliens, is one of my favorites, and it's so rocking, any fan can hear it over and over again, louder and louder. "Aero Zeppelin" the best song in the album is pure Nirvana, it just sounds so good. Overall, the sound in Incesticide is pure agressive-alternative rock, lovely and messy, just like Nirvana. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are great, in most of the songs, "Big Long Now" has very good lyrics, the one great lyric that stands out is "can we show our faces now". "Sliver" might be biographical, but we don't really know, either way, it's very good storytelling by Cobain. "Hairspray Queen" has funky vocals, and funky lyrics, "at night the itch so modest, at night the crisco loch ness, at night a mouthful omelet, at sight a fishful goblet, at night the witch go." This is a bit of the chorus, and the verse has an even weirder tone, surprisingly, the lyrics sound amazing, thanks to the way he sings it. "Stain" has to be the least lyrically rich song, just some very generic lines, with "I'm a stain" being repeated in the chorus, but that's ok, the song is good. "Mexican Seafood" just some random words put together, and they rhyme, very typical of Cobain, he never took it too serious, and that is why these lyrics are fantastic! The song is full of nasty stuff, that apparently he has, and he vomits this and that, and on the tile floor, and he fills his toilet bowl with more grungy stuff, very good song! "Aneurysm" has simple lyrics as well, but it has one line that I consider to be one of the best words in a song, in all of music, "Love you so much it makes me sick!". I don't know why, but I like how that sounds. I don't know if the song is about his dirty heroin addiction, or a love song, or double meanings! "Dive" has lyrics that really seem to be picked at random, much more than any other song in this album. "Been a Son" is some of Cobain's best lyrics, it's in a simple process, but they sound good, and they're helluva catchy, "She should have died when she was born, she should have worn the crown of thorns" best stuff right there. The best lyrics of the album come from "Aero Zeppelin" which is also the best song. The song starts off with some lines that are hard to grasp, but the chorus is killer, "all the kids will eat it up, if it's packaged properly. Steal a sound and imitate, keep the format equally. Not an ode, is just the facts, where our world in nowadays, an idea is what we lack, it doesn't matter anyways!" I don't know, but this describes the music today. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other albums, this album will come out on top. There is a song for everyone here, and that is good. Best song of the album "Aero Zeppelin" I just like how it sounds, and the lyrics are excellent. What I love about the album, is it has a lot of songs, and all are good, bad part is that most people that say they like Nirvana don't like their non-commercial sound. I would buy this album if it was stolen, or if I lost it, I wouldn't mind wasting money that I needed for something else, Nirvana is more important! // 10

More Nirvana reviews rating latest review
+ Amsterdam Love Buzz [Bootleg] 7.5 06/13/2013