Live At Reading Review

nirvana: Live At Reading
Released: Nov 2, 2009
Genre: Grunge
Label: Geffen
Bootlegged for years following the performance, the new issues present the performance for the first time mastered and color corrected.
 9.3
 8.6
review (1) 27 comments vote for this album:
Live At Reading Reviewed by: SSaxdude, on november 05, 2009

Sound: As most of you know, this is probably Nirvana's most famous concert ever. I don't have to explain how good these songs are, you already know that. They played a great combination of Bleach/Nevermind tracks with future In Utero songs "All Apologies", "Tourette's", and "Dumb". They also played a cover of the Wiper's "D7" and Fang's "The Money Will Roll Right In". I loved their early rare song "Spank Thru" also. Missing is the cover of "Love Buzz" by Shocking Blue. I imagine they did this because of the limitations of cds. I've heard this is going to be on the vinyl though. The intro where Kurt is wheeled onstage and Krist jokes that he's going to be alright is also missing. Also missing is the "More Than a Feeling" mock intro to "Smells Like Teen Spirit". The sound on the CD is very good. From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah was their earlier live album (other than the acoustic Unplugged performance), and this does sound better than the Muddy Banks. I give sound a 9 because of the missing stuff. Most people won't notice or care, but for hardcore fans like myself this is a hinderence. I understand they also might have done this to make the songs flow without boring more casual listeners. // 9

Lyrics: It's Nirvana, I don't have to go over how great Cobain's lyrics are. Worth noting is the different lyrics of "All Apologies". "Tourette's" does seem to make more sense than the album version off In Utero. The "Come On People Now" intro of "Territorial Pissings" is replicated by Novoselic. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the definitive live Nirvana album. The sound quality and songs are better than the previous live album From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah. Sure, Muddy Banks has more In Utero songs, but Live at Reading has more of a concert feeling. The only problem is the cut out banter and goofing around that the band did. It's still a great buy anyway. // 9

More Nirvana reviews rating latest review
+ Amsterdam Love Buzz [Bootleg] 7.5 06/13/2013