Nevermind Review

nirvana: Nevermind
Released: Sep 24, 1991
Genre: Grunge, Alternative Rock
Label: DGC
"Nevermind" is a record that defined a genre, became a staple on an entire generation, and was the breakthrough for Nirvana, one of the most important bands of the 1990s.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 9.2
 9.1
 9.2
Nevermind Reviewed by: redshademotion, on april 14, 2005

Sound: Alright, before you start reading this you should know I am a Nirvana freak. I've read 13 books on Kurt Cobain, and collect pretty much anything with his face or Nirvana on it. What can I say? They're the band that got me into music. However, it's also important to point out I can't stand most music like Nirvana. I love the old grunge, but as far as shit like Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace go don't blow me off as some idiotic teenager. This review is coming from a guy who listens to Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, the Doors, etc in his time. So of course what Nirvana is so famous for is combining the energy of punk (from the Sex Pistols to Husker Du) with the melodies of the Beatles. Since Nirvana, lots of bands have tried this same formula, but whether you like them or not, you have to admit Kurt Cobain was deffinitely a genius at this. The instruments thrash out with angst and pain, while still keeping up steady melodies that will be stuck in your head the rest of the day. And as worn out as this formula is, remember Nirvana practically invented this style. // 10

Lyrics: Alright, obviously Nirvana would not be Nirvana without Kurt Cobain. Infact, more people probably know of Kurt Cobain then know of Nirvana. He was the songwriter for his generation. He (in my opinion) falls in league with the likes of Bob Dylan, Jim Morrison, and John Lennon. The lyrics are probably the best thing about any Nirvana song. Kurt had a magnificent way of writing off what at may first seem to be just catchy nonsense, but actually had deep inner meanings. 01. Smells Like Teen Spirit - no comment needed. Almost everyones heard this song. "A call to arms for a misfit generation". 02. In Bloom - an incredibly catchy song, that ironically has everyone singing it that it was directed at. 03. Come As You Are - a eerie and haunting guitar part, accompanied by a ghostly monotone Kurt. 04. Breed - a high energy mosh song. This is one to get the adrenaline pumping. 05. Lithium - a song about a paranoid schizoprhanic. Starts out soothing, almost like a camp fire sing along, and then explodes. 06. Polly - a haunting acoustic number about a rape victim who escaped by acting like she enjoyed it. 07. Territorial Pissings - a raw, all punk song. One of my favorite Nirvana songs. 08. Drain You - a sappy song about love and heartbreak. Wrote about ex-girlfriend Tobi Vail (from the band Bikini Kill). 09. Lounge Act - one of the weaker tracks on the CD, but deffinitely not bad. Another song wrote about Tobi. 10. Stay Away - in my opinion, the weakest track on the CD. Despite some cool lyrics from Kurt, the song is pretty average. 11. On A Plain - one of the CDs best. This is the song where Kurt's Beatle/Bob Dylan influence shines most brightly. 12. Something In The Way - a haunting, depressing song about Kurt living under a bridge. (Side note-He never actually lived under a bridge). Still, the perfect downer for the CD to end with. Through all of these Kurt's voice is of course amazing. However, after hearing him live, some of the affect is taken away from the polish of the CD. Still, Kurt is one of the best vocalist ever in my opinion, and on each track his voice bristles with emotion. // 10

Overall Impression: Some want to be Nirvana fans would say this is the throw away record. That this isn't what Kurt invisioned Nirvana as. They would be wrong. This CD, despite what Kurt said in the media, is everything Kurt wanted Nirvana to be. He may of tried to act like a renegade punk rocker, but Kurt was a melodic pop loser at heart. Nevermind is the album that got me into music and all things rock, so I owe it my life. True, I said Pink Floyd's "The Wall" was the best rock album of all time, but this still remains as my favorite album of all time, and I can recommend it to almost anybody. Whether you're a new kid on the rock scene who enjoys My Chemical Romance or Three Days Grace, to the oldies who enjoy the Beatles and Bob Dylan, to the punks who enjoy Sex Pistols and Ramones. The album is accesible to anybody who isn't going into it narrow minded. Ignore all the hype around Kurt and his death, and just enjoy the music. If somebody stole this from me, I'd buy it back that day. I've already bought it back once. I love almost everything about the album, and truthfully can't find one thing to hate on it. Some would say that nothings perfect, and in turn, I would direct them to this album. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: ShoeLaces907, on november 01, 2004

Sound: The most important album of the 90s? Well, that's nice, but how good is it really? Well, for starters, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" will sound familiar to anyone who's a big Pixies fan: the riff is "borrowed" from "U Mass" and the bass line sounds similiar to the one Kim Deal used for "Bone Machine. "In Bloom" and "Lithium" are cut from the same cloth: some chord bashery and bass work to fill in the verses and big power chorus on each. "Come As You Are" is easily the most musically interesting song on the record, thanks to it's groovin' guitar/bass hook. Elsewhere, there's "Territorial Pissings", which goes out of it's way to sound exactly like a Husker Du song, but never rises above its status as a just merely decent imitation of a much better band. "Breed" is the most decidedly punkish song, harkening back to the Bleach album (and sounding awfully similar to something Mudhoney would do). "Drain You", "Lounge Act", and "On A Plain" all take simple, non-descript riffs and stick to them, giving us three and a half minutes of tedious repetition each. "Polly" and "Something In the Way" fulfill the acoustic ballad quota. Song-structure is pretty similar through out: either the songs make use of the tried and true loud/soft dynamic or nothing changes at all throughout the entire song, except for maybe the occasional bridge. Overall, nothing here that someone else hadn't done better and more creatively before or since. // 6

Lyrics: A combination of fake teen angst, stoner poetry, and lots of wallowing in misery, often with all elements present in one song. Various songs angst out about basic teenage existence ("Teen Spirit", "Lithuim", "Stay Away"), girls ("Drain You", "Lounge Act") and nothing in particular ("Breed", "Territorial Pissings", "On A Plain"). Vocally, all the songs follow the same pattern: Kurt starts off with his sighing "sad man" voice and then, if there's a big chorus, erupts into throaty screams. Lots of anger, lots of despair. If that's your cup, then go for it. If you want song-writing and lyrics that doesn't always lead to the same hatred, disgust, and self pity, look elsewhere. Most of the lyrics found here just mope, brood, and seethe without really saying anything or making any kind of meaningful point. Two songs in particular fail me the most lyrically: the first is "Come As You Are", which seems insincere given Cobain's famously high handed treatment of his fans, and the other is "Polly". The song is about torture and rape. It should be blood curdling, but Cobain sings it like he's about to fall asleep and thus his monotone takes away from whatever impact it may have had. I've known some who believed the song was about a bored guy talking to his parrot and given the way the song comes off, I can't blame them. // 4

Overall Impression: Musically average, if not unexciting, and the lyrical equivalent of listening to a friend go on about the uselessness of his meaningless life and his hatred of the human race for 45 minutes. One of the most important rock albums of all time, ladies and gentlemen. Just goes to show that a bit of hype and a lot of record company/MTV/media push goes a long way. // 4

Nevermind Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2005

Sound: The sound of Nevermind is a pure definition of alternative rock and it seemed that all Nirvana albums had their own sound like Bleach being grunge In Utero being of depressed alternative and Incesticide being a mixture of most of what Nirvana has to offer. These before mentioned albums are of course not the only albums made by Nirvana but the mainstream. // 8

Lyrics: These are not my favorite lyrics on an album but that doesn't mean they are bad. Some of the best lyrics are from Come As You Are, Drain You, and Lounge Act. Yet the downsides are the infamous Smells Like Teen Spirit which was a song never written for an actual event or even much of a purpose. // 6

Overall Impression: 01. Smells Like Teen Spirit - not a bad song but very much over played. It does work as a great anthem though 3/5. 02. in Bloom - this song is great and is one of my favorite Nirvana singles; it kind of reminds me of the great depression 4/5. 03. Come As You Are - a very artistic song from Nirvana, I think it goes along great with its water-like pedal effects to the nevermind cover 4/5. 04. Breed - this is a great moshing song although it never really changes lyrics in the whole song 3/5. 05. Lithium - reminds me of summer for some reason. Lithium is actually probably one of the most powerful songs on Nevermind 5/5. 06. Polly - this version of Polly is probably my least favorite because it doesnt really have the polly sound. Although Polly shouldnt be distorted (well unless its at the last part) it really doesn't sound that great on acoustic but on just clean guitar 2/5. 07. Territorial Pissings - this is yet another great song to mosh to, I also think this is the most punk rock song on Nevermind 3/5. 08. Drain You - my favorite song from Nirvana is drain you. This song gets stuck in my head every time I listen to it. The first verse lyrics are great but the second verse isnt as powerful. This song sounds better live and with its original solo but yet it is my favorite song 5/5. 09. Lounge Act - this is another favorite song from Nirvana and ironically it has the same story with it as Drain You did. It's a very catchy song (I've got this friend, you see) with a catchy bass line 5/5. 10. Stay Away - formally pay to play, this is a weak point to Nevermind. It kind of has the boring old rebellion against trends thing going on and just doesn't sound great 1/5. 11. On A Plain - I think this is Nevermind's pop song. Like Smells Like Teen Spirit it has confusing lyrics but sounds a little better 4/5. 12. Something In The Way - a very dark song from Nirvana yet it still is strong and artistic. It in a way sounds like Bambi Slaughter 4/5. // 8

Nevermind Reviewed by: zope, on june 04, 2009

Sound: Nevermind is a record that defined a genre, became a staple on an entire generation, and was the breakthrough for Nirvana, one of the most important bands of the 1990s. Personally I think that eventhough Nirvana has great catchy songs, and this is one of my favorite records, Kurt Cobain is over rated. He is not comparable to Jim Morrison, John Lennon or any beatle, nor Nirvana should be compared at all to bands like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. I used to admire Kurt and love Nirvana up to when I was 19, but after watching him from the stage, hitting a security for no reason, showing a huge lack of respect towards others, and sometimes lacking sense in his songs, this ended my admiration towards them. I really haven't read any books about Kurt Cobain as many of his fans but as listening to his music I wouldn't put him on top rock acts, and I wouldn't call them grunge greatest, Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains kick much more ass than them, their music is definitely more complex, Jerry Cantrell, Stone Gossard and Mike McReady are by far much better guitarists than Kurt is, their melodies, harmonies by AIC, and overall lyrics from main composers Eddie Vedder, Jerry Cantrell and Layne Staley are much better than any catchy Nirvana songs. All these doesn't mean that Nevermind isn't a great record, and that I don't like it over several of PJ or AIC albums, I just think that musically, lyrical and historically it is overrated. As for the musicians per se in their roll on the record, I think Kurt develops catchy riffs and really does an amazing job on vocals, hi sings numbly and shouts his ass off when he has to. Krist Novoselic, I like the guy as a person but I don't admire bass players that just follow the guitar, and these is his playing, except for lounge act where he does a fair job. Dave Grohl, he is just a totally different musician now a days, where he has evolved very good, back in the day his drumming was solid and he played very well but nothing extremely amazing. 01.Smells Like Teen Spirits: this I think is the best Nirvana song. Has a smooth start before all hell breaks loose. Then comes a simple two note pattern backed by the bass playing the main riff. Krist should've brought a better mood to the song that just the main riff. Then Kurt starts mumbling the bridge and the chorus. This is an amazing singer shouting off some random lyrics. Kurts voice in this song is pretty good, nice at parts, mumbled at other and shouted very well. The pattern repeats again and then there's a solo where Kurt just plays his melody, I don't understand why this is a Top 20 guitar solo or why Kurt is a Top 20 guitarist of all time, he is a very important person by his catchy songs not for his ability to play. If he is then John Lennon should be the best guitarist of all time and I Want To Hold Your Hand's solo should be No. 1. The main pattern of the song is repeated again and the song ends with several powerful A Denial screams. 02.In Bloom: this is a very catchy song, where once again, Kurt mumbles very nicely and shouts in the choruses with his powerful voice. The solo is very noisy but well suited, once again not a solo that shouldn't be considered great. Kurt's solos are well suited for his songs, they are great in his songs but they don't have complexity, they sound great though. Great song in general. 03.Come As You Are: this is a song with an obscure sound. The riff is great, Kurt's voice is great and it is also catchy. 04.Breed: this is another very nice song, very catchy and heavy, Kurt's voice once again is very powerful. One of my least favorites in the record, but very good song. 05.Lithium: this is a very very catchy song, and I love Kurt shouting Yeah! with a very neat melody. This song is great for sure, very good song for beginners to get a strumming feel in the guitar. 06.Polly: this is a song with a very good meaning on the lyrics. Kurt wrote it about a girl being raped and showing a bit of Stockholm syndrome to finally escape the rapist. The riff is nice and the strumming on the guitar is very cool. Once again Krist should've managed to bring a better mood to the song. 07.Territorial Pissings: this song is my least favorite in the record. Very noisy and lacking of sense. Powerfull screams. 08.Drain You: I like this song a lot. Is very catchy. And the song's lyrics about a kiss are just amazing. I would've love that Kurt gave the same dedication to other songs lyrically speaking. 09.Lounge Act: this is a great song. Also catchy and Krist with a simple bass line manages to play something different of Kurt and create a mood, like a good bassits. Last verse and choruses are sung screaming very nice. 10.Stay Away: nice song, nothing else to it but to say that it has energy. 11.On A Plain: another catchy song, nice melody and nice instrumentation. I love the hums at the end before starting Something In The Way. 12.Something In The Way: this is another lyrically great song describing Kurt's life under the bridge. The mood he creates with his guitar and the cello arrangements put together a great song. Perfect to seal the record with a depressing mood. // 8

Lyrics: I truly don't understand many of the lyrics by Kurt, I don't know if they are scentless or too complicated. I love Neal Peart, James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine, The Beatles, Robert Plant, Jim Morrison, Pink Floyd, Jerry Cantrell, Layne Staley, and Eddie Vedder, all as lyricist, and they do have complex lyrics. I Think that Matthew Bellamy and others can develop better lyrics than Kurt having a good melody, so melody comes first my ass. Maybe is it because I haven't read a lot of books on Kurt but I do think he could've done a better job, he does have good lyrics. His voice is another complete subject, he sings greatly, I do like other grunge voices better but I recognize he sings his ass off. // 6

Overall Impression: The album per se is great, with it's simple instrumentation it is very pleasant to hear. I just think it's overrated musically. It's a must have for any rock fan but one has to learn to appreciate it for what it is, it may have moved a whole generation but this is because Kurt developed very catchy songs, that one won't get tired of hearing, not because they have instrumental super skills or beacuase Kurt is a great lyricist. This is just my opinion which developed after hearing tons of classic rock albums, I know I'm offending some hardcore Cobain fans and I respect their posture, this is just mine, and I never said the record was bad, just overrated musically. // 8

Nevermind Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on january 20, 2006

Sound: Nirvana - the band that attained Immortality in the hearts of music lovers. Kurt Cobain - the spearhead, the man who remains undoubtedly the pain filled hero who just "burnt out" yet remains in the minds of every Nirvana lover, and affects every thought of the listener with his lyrics filled with agony and his voice showing his frustration about life as it is. This is what Nirvana is about, and this is what Nevermind is about, life as it is through their eyes, mind and soul. Rebellious ideals; dope, music, hate, love, pain, that describes the album. There are many hidden secrets of Cobain's life in this album. At the end of the video 'Smells Like Teen Spirit,' there is a guy sweeping up the place. This was a secret of his dark past, he used to participate in the classes etc. of the school and then suddenly the next week he was dropped out and had to sweep the same school in which he previously studied. This disturbing past is the theme for all his classic grunge tracks feautured in this album. // 10

Lyrics: This is perhaps the only reason, Nirvana is not just another band but Nirvana. The dark words, the disturbed soul and the voice stabbed by pain, with awesome music to go with it describes nirvana's songs in Nevermind. Smells Like Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, In Bloom, Lithium, and Polly. These are the brilliant songs that this album features. And after hearing the words and vocals in these songs Nervermind is the album that one will have to admit, the greatest grunge album ever. This album though is not for the nu-rock/pop listeners. It is for people who are either into old school classic rock or even metal. I would say this is the album which you should discover. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Nirvana's best album, according to me. This is the album for listeners who aren't into the commercial shit we get today. It is the album featuring litrary genius. It is the album that had blown the world away and continues to do so. I reccommend you to listen to this album if you are a true old school lover or a neo rock/pop hater. // 9

Nevermind Reviewed by: Jaw Knee, on february 06, 2006

Sound: The music in this CD is unbelievable. Combining the best of grunge, rock and metal into one fantastic CD. The bass lines in Breed are some of the coolest pickups I have ever heard. And I'm a guitar player. This is their best CD yet. You may disagree, but its been thrown into one of the greatest CDs of all time. Even though Kurt Cobain isn't a talented guitar player, he shows off his best performance in this CD. The drummer is probably the most talented of the trio. Dave Grohl's drum sticks flying on to the drums are so fast. But the only problem with their history is that Krist Novoselic is never noticed. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are also fantastic. They'll make sense at one point then they'll get you lost. "We can plant a house, we can build a tree" is what I mean. Breed is one of the strangest, yet greatest songs with lyrics that don't make sense. The lyrics blend in with the music perfectly. The lyrics are mostly well written for each song. Kurt Cobain's vocals are probably the best part of each of the CDs Nirvana has made. But this and Bleach have been some of the better albums from the early history of the grunge/metal theme. // 10

Overall Impression: Nevermind is their greatest, hands down. The greatest songs on the CD are "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (obviously), "Come As You Are," "Breed," "Lithium," "Terretorial Pissings," "Drain You" and "On A Plain." Overall, all of the songs on this CD are great. The thing I love about this CD is that, Kurt Cobain's vocals are so good. The only bad thing about this is the length. Fourteen songs don't keep me content. You must get this album. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 08, 2006

Sound: The band has a constant sound. The verse have excellent bass lines, little or no guitar, and hard drum beats. Then the build-up (an important part in the Nirvana sound) especially in 'Teen Spirit' jumps into a powerful chorus with loud distorted power chords, sped up bass and Dave Grohl's pounding drums. This recording musically mixes the punk simplicity with Led Zeppelin hard rock chops. Smells Like Teen Spirit the best song on the album, features the catchy head bobbing guitar hook leading to the rest of the band joining. The verse features Krist Novoselic's slithering bass and a fast tempo version of Queen's We Will Rock You on drums. Then the build-up Hello, Hello, Hello, How Low into the legendary chorus with the return of power chords. The solo like most solos on the album (excluding In Bloom) follows the vocal pattern of the verse. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics don't match with one idea, no matter what people say. If you're looking for meaningful lyrics don't buy this CD. The lyrics do still make some sense though. The verses don't match with each other. Smells Like Teen Spirit's lyrics are the best as far as matching with the music. In Bloom contains a line in the chorus that tells you the lyrics don't mean anything. On a Plain is the best example of not having the verse lyrics correspond with each other. The final track Something In The Way has somewhat meaningful lyrics. Kurt Cobain's vocals (like him or not) are the best match with the style of grunge. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion the best album ever. Definitley the best Grunge album ever. Only Boston's Boston and GN'R's Appetite can compete with it. I love that every song on the album is great. The best song is probably Smells Like Teen Spirit. Even though overshadowed by the 4 breakout singles (Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, Lithium, and In Bloom) there are songs that could've have reached equal success mainly Drain You. Not to mention, the closing song (Some pressings contain Endless, Nameless) Something in the Way with Dave Grohl's rare light drum playing. If this was stolen I would go to the store and buy this 1, 000 times over and listen to each copy in entirety. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: hellfire21, on april 09, 2007

Sound: Now, as I get started, I'm obsessed with Nirvana. Within a couple months I bought all their studio released albums, but out of them all, Nevermind is by far the best. If you don't own this album, get now or else you're not a true rocker. Nirvana's other albums were a little more raw and were much harder than this, but that's what makes this CD the best. It's got a pop sound to a lot of songs, but there are loud guitar parts that Kurt wanted in the CD. This is the CD that, if you don't like Nirvana, will make you love them. // 9

Lyrics: Let's face it, no Kurt Cobain, no Nirvana. Without him Nirvana would have been some band no body cared about. Kurt was the band. He was Nirvana. sure, Krist and Dave were great, but Kurt was the face of NIrvana. His voice was what made NIrvana great. The guitars were roaring and the drums were pounding, but without Kurt's grungy voice, they wouldn't be the same. Also, the words made Nirvana unique. They didn't make sense to many people, but they did have meanings. // 10

Overall Impression: Out of all the albums I own (only about 20 or so) this is my favorite. In my opinion, it is nothing like Kurt's idol John Lennon. But as I said, Kurt made Nirvana special. Smells Like Teen Spirit and Lithuim are by far the best of the CD, but all of the songs are pretty good. If I misplaced or lost this CD I'd buy 2 more so if it happened again, I'd have a back up. So do yourself a favor and buy this CD! // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: Nirvanafan60, on november 05, 2010

Sound: The distorted sloppy sound of Nirvana is unbeatable. Kurt is talented it doe's take skill to play and sing not a lot of people can do it....successfully. these guys busted out some real big hits in this album making it my favourite it was worth every cent to buy i had to save up for two weeks to get it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics require imagination and thinking outside of the box to fully understand, so no its not some words muddled together and screamed out in a mess. Kurt has a got a voice to suit his style of music it is edgy husky messy sloppy but it sounds good and suits grunge do not say that he is pot head with no brain because he did have brain because you can't just pick a pen and paper and make the most awesome song in a day. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is the best closely followed by In Utero they are similar in some ways but all Nirvana albums are similar. I was very impressed with this album it fulfilled my Nirvana craving absolutely awesome. I think every Nirvana fan should own this album it never moves far from the roots of Nirvana. Insane amount of kudos. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: hendrix78, on july 23, 2003

Overall Impression: This is one of the best albums I have ever heard. Nirvana releases a mixture of heavy grunge, some punk rock, and even music so touching that it makes you cry. Kurt Cobain delivers lyrics that touch you so deep down that you will love the songs you listen to even more. I never skip a track on this album. I recommend this to everyone. P.S. "Something in the Way" is the most depressing song in the world, but it's great at the same time. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2004

Sound: This Is The Album That Defined A Generation, And Is Still, In My Opinion, The Greatest Album Ever Made. It as Not The First Album From The Band, As Two Years Before They Released Their debut 'Bleach', But This Was Deffinatly The One That Made Them Who They Were. This Includes Some Of The TheBands Most Famous Tracks: Lithium, In Bloom, Come As You Are And The Legendary Grunge Track Smells Like Teen Spirit, Which Not That Long Ago Was Voted The Best Single Ever Released. The Sound Of This Album Runs Throughout, And Is What Made Nirvana The Best Band Ever!!! // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics On This Album Are As Important To It As The Music Itself, As They Paint A Harrowing Picture Of Kurt Cobain And THe Life He Lead, From When He Was A Highschool Dropout And Was Living Under A Bridge (As Written In Something In The Way) From Who He Considered The Love Of His Life (As Written In Lounge Act And Many Of The Other Songs). Kurt Was One Of The Only Artists Who Could Put His True Feelings Into His Lyrics, And For THat, He Became The Legend He Is Today. // 10

Overall Impression: This Album Was The Greatest Album Of It's Time, And Still Is, Even Now, Ten Years After The Passing Of The Legend Who Is Kurt Cobain. This Album Will Never Grow Old, And No Matter What Kurt Thought, Changed A Generation Of Music, And For That, We Thank You Kurt, R.I.P. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: kap, on april 15, 2004

Sound: I loved this album!!! I could listen to it for hours and hours and I wouldn't get bored of it! Not a single song was the slightest bit dissapointing. I couldn't get over "Smells like teen spirit", it was awesome. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album were overall good, but I know a lot of better albums when it comes to lyrics, like Pearl jam - "ten", and ac/dc - "Highway to hell". In all the songs, the lyrics were either excellent, or not that great. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is one of the best albums I've ever heard. Nirvana was an awesome band. I think it's up there with "Dark side of the moon", "Ten", and "High voltage". // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 24, 2004

Sound: When Kurt and co recorded 'Nevermind', not only did they create a legendary album and inspire a generation of young punks, they created a new music style known as 'grunge'. This album shows 'Grunge' at it's best. It mixes the intensity of metal with the simplicity and excitement of punk. After years if listening - the songs never become dull. The wonderful guitar play by Cobain is given depth by Novesilic's bass, whilst Grohl pounds the drums louder than anyone I have ever heard. Truly classic. // 10

Lyrics: There is no doubt about it, Cobain is the greatest songwriter in the last 20 years.He related to a generation of disgruntled youth through his lyrics. Classic lines like 'Here we are now entertain us' and 'and I swear that I don't have a gun' are fantastic. These lines define the early 90s generation and there music is still relevant today. The vocals sit perfectly on top of talented instrumental play. As Kurt screams out on our Stereos, we wish he was still around today. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best albums that I have ever heard. It can sit along side 'Led Zeppellin' and 'Rolling Stones' on my mantlepiece and not look inferior. Songs like 'Teen Spirit' and 'Lithium' stand out because they are classics but no song is weak. Nirvana can write great acoustic pieces as well like 'Polly' and 'Something In The Way'. It is a classic album from a classic band. I urge any rock fan to buy it. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: Cobaingirl, on august 09, 2004

Sound: The sound is definately good and its really catchy and it makes you want to just scream the song and jump up and down and go insane. Dave Grohl is a really talented drummer and the drums are major kick ass. The bass is good and sounds awesome with the guitar. Kurt Cobain wrote great songs and although some people say his songs were easy I'd like to see you play all their songs because Kurt Cobain is a great guitar player and all his songs are so unique. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very mysterious and it takes a little time to either understand what he's saying and what the lyrics mean. But the lyrics fit perfectly with the songs and with what notes are being played. I think if you really paid attention to what he was saying there is a message in his songs. Everyone gets something different out of it. They were basically famous for not even wanting to be famous. they didn't want the fame and everything. Unlike some poppy fake avrils these days Nirvana was a kick ass band and people can actually get something from their lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Back in the 90's it was definately one of the coolest albums out and it even topped Michael Jackson who was really popular. Smells Like Teen Spirit really changed the era of rock and pretty much saved it (except for the few exceptions). Come As You Are is a great song too and they made up some of the most interesting guitar riffs in my opinion. That cd makes me feel better and encourages me to keep playing guitar. If I lost that cd I would definately go buy a new one because I cant live without it. I listen to it all the time. It is totally worth buying and if you haven't heard Nirvana yet you should definately give them a chance and also listen to their "In Utero" album. Thats good too. But don't waste your money on pop singers when the only message they give is to stay mad at guys(who know who I'm talking about) keep listening to Nirvana! // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 24, 2005

Sound: Well what can I say. It's The album, the one everybody owns, even if they don't like Nivana. The sound quiality is perfect. Guitar effects and poppy balance make this album very cheesy, but a clear sound is given in every song. However, in the absence of much screaming and heavy riffs it is a wuss of an album, it's turquoise and blues in contrast with the Black And White of Bleach in sound and appearance. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics, again the ones everybody knows. However, this could be seen as a good thing. Not quite as abstract as other albums, songs like lithium and territorial pissings have some very nice lyrics however. On a plain is the criptic song of the album, really, an justification by Cobain that although his lyrics are strange that doesn't stop them making good music. Breed and Stay away have weaker lyrics as does Come as you are and dare I say it Smells Like Teen Spirit! Shock Horror! // 6

Overall Impression: 01. Smells Like Teen Spirit - here it is, the big tune. The opening chords of this song will immortalise Kurt for ever. The way Dave crashes in on the athletic drum line is thrilling, but poor krist has little to do. 8/10 02. In Bloom - this, like teen Spirit, has a very poppy sound. It is a very catchy song and hints at the screaming guitar soloes cobain will adopt on In Utero. This song is not particulaly strong, but has interesting chord changes. 7/10 03. Come As You Are - another of the big tunes, this one has grown on me. I originally got iritated by the slow tempo and watery guitar riff in the intro. It does get better, and the version on Unplugged is somehow much more interesting. 6/10 04. Breed - a nice driving guitar riff to start, a very exiting song. The balance isnt quite right though, the bass is louder than the guitar, which has a mega distorted drive, very powerfull and needs to be emphasized alot more. Lyrics are a little weak but and imaginative song. 05. Lithium - if it's possible to have a grunge anthem this is it. Simple, effective and a brilliant song. I defie anyone to forget the words to the chorus, and lets face it, the words are great. Its a real juicy song, with interesting drums and unusually complex bass runs for Krist. However, the studio quality of the guitar takes away some of the unleashed beast element of the live recordings. 9/10 06. Polly - I love this song, so simple and incomplicated. It's a calm, but dark release from the so far loud and thrashy tracks. Acoustic guitar used for the first time in Kurts album writing, and it is very effective. 10/10 07. Territorial Pissings - a sneaky peak into the punk origins of the Nirvana grunge style. A great distorted phase to open, and exiting drums. The lyrics are very cynical and make me smile. A realy rebelious song. Needs more screams at the end however, as it is let down by the vocals, which don't provide enough of a musical climax. 9/10 08. Drain You - a song that seems over looked. At face value not much effort has been put into the end ofthe album but Drain you is infact not that start of the crappy songs but the end of the good ones. One of Kurts favourites it was performed frequently at most performances. It grows on you however, the guitar is very chinky and the middle section becomes boring after about 5 seconds. 7/10 09. Lounge Act - I have to say this song is crap. A very twee song it has no spark. The chorus uses random stereo effects which make no sense. It does pick up when Kurt sings up an octave at the end however. 4/10 10. Stay Away - Another crap filler song. I dont think its ever been performed live, and it shows how over rated Never mind is. little effort to make it exiting, it sounds like some one trying to copy Nirvana. 3/10 11. On A Plain - a very poppy and happy sounding song, but very powerfull and holds well, even though it's very repetative it keeps the listeners interest all the way through. 9/10 12. Something In The Way - another first, this time the use of cello, which re-appears on In Utero and of course Unplugged in New York. It was a sound and feel that Kurt liked and it is obvious. The lyrics in this song, although simple speak volumes. It is a calm end to the album 9/10 13. Endless Nameless - as usual with Nirvana albums and extra track on the end. It seems like Gallons of rubbing Alchohol on In Utero to be a seoerate thought to the Album proper. This is wild, messy and very heavy. Again use of thick distortion and screaming anti guitar soloes make up this song. 8/10 If I lost never mind I would most likely buy it again although I wudnt be too dissapointed. For Some one new to Nirvana this is the Album to get. The songs have a poppy edge that is unlike any other grunge album of the time. After all it disgraced MJ, white socks and black shoes were out and cardigans and unwashed hair in. What do I hate about the album? Well its a little too popular, and over rated. I'm a hardcore Nirvana fan and would recomend the unrealeased material as it shows the true talent of the band. Still a good album and a record that changed the world of music for ever. // 8

Nevermind Reviewed by: Cobainliveson, on february 25, 2005

Sound: The sound on this is very smooth. Kurt himself said it was too smooth and wasn't the sound he really wanted. He said that Smells like teen spirit was to "radio friendly," hence the title of the song on In Utero - Radio Friendly Unit Shifter. The overall sound of this album is very good, but not the real Nirvana. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good. The lyrics are almost eerie, mostly in In Bloom. Kurt talks of people jumping on the bandwagon and singing words to songs when they don't know what it means. And after this album, that's exactly what people were doing. Kurt practically predicted the future. His lyrics on this album aren't very deep like they are on In Utero. But you can't knock Kurt on his lyrics. He was the best songwriter of this generation. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is great. Not one of my favorite Nirvana albums though. I'd have to say that In Utero is the best album. It really captures Kurt's real emotions. Nevermind is a great album. My favorite song on the album would have to be Lounge Act, followed by Drain You. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a great song, but to most people that's the only Nirvana song and that's dissapointing. If you want real Nirvana check out Bleach and In Utero. If you want to capture and get an idea of all Kurt's feelings and emotions, buy Unplugged In NY. Kurt wears his emotions not on his sleeve, but in every word he says. You can feel the pain and anguish. // 8

Nevermind Reviewed by: HendrixFan434, on april 15, 2005

Sound: I'm gonna keep it short on all three, but the sound of the album was really new, fresh, and unique. I had never heard anything like it before. Kurt used some wacked out effects and they had some really cool songs. // 8

Lyrics: Kurt Cobain was probably in like the top 10 song writers maybe even top 5 ever, so yea, his lyrics were really good, a lot of people don't understand them or half the time know whar he is saying so I don't know if they would agree. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, Nirvana is one of my favorite bands ever but the thing is that they did bring rock n' roll back but they cause something to happen that now I hate, these new bands like simple plan and crap like that are coming out and really Nirvana is the base cause of all of it. Love Nirvana, hate their effect on music. // 4

Nevermind Reviewed by: rpguitardude, on november 02, 2005

Sound: This was the album that started it all for Nirvana. If Bleach was the album that helped them gain a cult following and In Utero their masterpiece, Nevermind is surely the album that put Nirvana on MTV, TV, VH1, radio, magazine covers etc. The album starts with Smells Like Teen Spirit a 4 chord masterpiece of a song. In Bloom is maybe the best song on the album with the best grunge solo ever. Come As You Are is another great song. But every song on this album is great! Favorites are Smells Like Teen Spirit and In Bloom and Come As You are (of course). Dave's drumming kick's ass! So does Krist's bass and Kurt's guitar playing is amazing. The solo's here are solos that can make anyone appreciate Nirvana. Overall great sound! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album is phenomenal! It is surely ahead of its time. Revolutionary indeed! All songs are written by Kurt Cobain and it shows how versatile of a songwriter he really is. and to top it all of all of the songs are meaningful and catchy! Something that is rarely done. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is really ahead of its time! If you haven't heard of Nirvana shame on you and buy and listen this album! Favorites are Smells Like Teen Spirit, In Bloom and Come As You Are. I recommend this to anyone that listens to music. If you don't like this album you're never going to like anything else because this is one of the best albums of all time! If this album was stolen I'd be crazy! After all I bought it a few years ago and there was only 1 left so I bought it. Nowadays there are only a few copies of Nevermind so if this got stolen I will beat the living crap out of the foolish person who did it. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: Sorcerer Steve, on november 23, 2005

Sound: This is maybe my favourite band. They were the gods of grunge music. The music is brilliant as they had Dave Grohl probably the best drummer in the world. They had superb guitar riffs and solos like no band ever before. They play acoustic songs and good old rock. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are clever, inspirational and emotional. Brilliant is an understatement! Kurt Cobains vocal skills are great. His singing is unique and special and nobody I doubt will ever be able to match him. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is nothing like any other but that is a good thing. It is original and different. The best songs on the album are Lithium, Come As You Are and Smells Like Teen Spirit. I love all the songs on the album and I can not find any fault with the album apart from the naked baby picture on the front of the case I would rather not look at. I would definitely buy this album again if I lost it. // 9

Nevermind Reviewed by: SuperAnalytical, on december 10, 2005

Sound: Nirvana's 1991 release 'Nevermind' is clearly the best-known album of the nineties. Starting with the teen anthem 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', 'Nevermind' starts off on the right foot and leads to everlasting stardom for Nirvana. Nirvana's sound varies from song to song. There's really no way of even attempting to classify all the songs in one word. 01. Smells Like Teen Spirit - one of the more well-known tracks off of the album, also one of the hardest-rocking songs. Sound is angsty, hard, and seemingly rotten. 02. In Bloom - one of my favorites off the disc. Lyrics and sounds are some of my favorites also. I have a hard time classifying this song. 03. Come As You Are - another better-known song. Sound is unique and quite eerie. 04. Breed - Nirvana's Seattle-punk roots shine through along with Kurt's excellent lyrical style. One of my favorites. 05. Lithium - a great soft-rock/dirty mix for this song. Excellent all around. Actually, one of the first songs from Nirvana I really acquainted myself with. 06. Polly - acoustic version, no drums persay. You get the occasional crash symbol, but nothing more. Also has Dave doing doubling vocals. Nice break in the CD. 07. Territorial Pissings - more punk roots shining in this song. Repetitive lyrics, but great at the same time. Very sarcastic and raw sounding song. Another favorite. 08. Drain You - pretty much the love song of grunge. Great song all around. Awesome effects use at the break-down with massive reverb. 09. Lounge Act - basically a slowed-down hard punk sound. It's a nice mix along with the other songs up to this point. Great lyrics as usual. 10. Stay Away - the final version of 'Pay to Play' (can be found on 'With the Lights Out-Disc 2'). I personally like 'Pay to Play' better, but this version does quite fine with the variation of the CD. 11. On A Plain - very strange lyrics and sound, but nonetheless a good song. 12. Something In The Way - great folk rock-like song. The story it tells of Kurt Cobain's supposed life under a bridge in Aberdeen in his childhood for a couple months. Nice soft sound. // 9

Lyrics: It's Kurt Cobain. What do you expect? Lyrics are the best ever. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the variation of this album. It's got a great mix of soft, punk, and hard rock. I dislike that they didn't include 'Opinion' and their version of Velvet Underground's 'Here She Comes Now. ' Those might have been nice additions to the varying styles included on the album. Definately not my suggested Nirvana CD if you're first being introduced because I think 'Incesticide' would be nice for the new-comer. Great album from Nirvana. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: PRWNDWIA, on january 04, 2006

Sound: One word grunge. This is definetly grunge at its best, there has never been a better grunge album since the release of nevermind. Having said that its not all that heavy and I'm sure there is something for everyone. The drums and bass work great together and kurts guitar playing is simple, but catchy. And the singing may well get criticised but it all adds to the magic of this album. // 10

Lyrics: Personally I have no idea what most the lyrics are about, they rather seem like random words that mean something to Kurt. Kurts voice add to the effect of every song, from smells like teen spirit to polly. You really get the effect in polly that you are there watching the girl tied up, whom its about, while jurt mumbles out the words. Excellent. // 9

Overall Impression: If you are a rock fan this is an album you musy own! Infact go out now and get it, because you will definetly find at least 4 songs on that album you will love. The downside is that some of the songs really let the album down, but the rest more than make up for it. Infact I only bought this album for teen spirit then I found the magic of nirvana, this album will entrance you for years to come, buy it now! // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: AxlRose54, on january 12, 2006

Sound: Their best and most famous CD, this is the CD that set off Grunge rock in the early '90s. What makes this record so unique is the fact that this was totally different, nothing similar to anything made the previous decade, much of that due to the creativness of Kurt Cobain. Many songs on the album sound similar, however, one of the few cons a bout Nevermind. most songs are good, the best include: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, Lithium, and On A Plain. // 9

Lyrics: lyrics are very creative, kurt cobain can make the most random lyrics sound good (listen to the chorus of Smells Like Teen Spirit) and he has a great voice. // 7

Overall Impression: Best grunge CD ever made, and it was one of the first. The only grunge CD that comes close to Nevermind is Superunknown, by Soundgarden. This is like a "classic" band, one that will be remembered forever, they had as big of an influence as the Beatles and the Sex Pistols; and this CD is what made them famous. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: jackass6767, on january 31, 2006

Sound: Nevermind by Nirvana is definatly one of the best albums of all time. The loud grungy riffs, the catchy baselines of Krist Novoselic, and the powerful drumming of Dave Grohl who often broke the drums skins from pounding on it too hard. This is the album thatlaunched Nirvana and grunge into the mainstream. Kurt Cobain the lead vocalist/guitarist/songwriter was considered by many the voice of the generation after this album. Nevermind made a huge impact on music forever with this album. The allbum is grunge sounding which is basiclly Punk Rock mixed with Metal. Some songs on this album are also pop sounding also. The sound has the energy of punk rock. Many people remember where they were when they heard the opening riff to Smells Like Teen Spirit. It's just one of those songs that sweep a generation off its feet. The album was produced by Butch Vig of Garbage who has also produced albums for The Smashing Pumpkins. Kurt occasionly said the album sounded more of like a Motley Crue album than a Nirvana album. The album overall is different from what you have heard in the mainstream like hair metal and such. The album opened the doors for bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice In Chains to become succesful in the mainstream. The album is a mix of punk rock, metal and pop. The sound of this album is very good. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very intellegent. Kurt Coabin is a very good songwriter. His raspy voice complimented the lyrics so well on this album. Kurt Cobain's screams send shivers down my spine you don't hear to many vocalists nowadays that sound like his voice did. The lyrics are about teenage angst, Kurt Coabin's life at the, and Kurt's girlfriend Toby Vali. The lyrics are different from those of hair metal bands whose lyrics were all about drinking beer, doing drugs, and getting girls. Insted Nirvana's lyrics were about how screwed up the world is and not everything in life is great. The lyrics are very unique on this album. // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite albums ever. It dosen't sound like any other bands. Impressive songs on this album in my opinian is every songs. Every song on this album is unique. I personally like everything about this album. Kurt's vocals are so unique, Krist's basslines are jsut so catchy and grab your attention and Dave's drumming is so full of energy. I would definatly buy this album again if I lost it. It is a great album. I strongly think everyone should listen to this album. // 9

Nevermind Reviewed by: g 4 11, on may 25, 2007

Sound: The song is great, but not the best in the world. I think that they shold turn the guitar down a little bit but other than that it is good. On smeels like team sprit, the guitar is a little to much. I think that all the sound in it is good though. This is a very hard rock band so if you don't like hard rock, don't listen to this. There are some soft sounding parts in this CD but at the middle or end, it 100% will change to hard rock. but I like this CD and the sounds in it. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. It the song come as you are, the lyrics are telling a great story about how you need to stay how you have been but the singer mostly talks about his life. the singer has great skillz on singing loud. He is real good at that. The on part of lyrics that I don't likre is that polly song. it makes no sence. Man, I can make a poem better than that. But overall, it is better than the sound in the CD. I hope this CD will not harm you though. It is a good CD. // 8

Overall Impression: Great! I would spend 50 dollars for that CD. It is the best CD of Nirvina. I would not go any where else untill I found that CD or went back to get another one. I listen to tant every night before I go to bed and while I'm trying to go to sleep. I love the whole CD but that song polly well you already know why but that is the only song I don't listen to. This kinda sounds like a very hard AC/DC or Ozzy. I can tell you that you will absloutely love this CD because I do very much. My mom don't like it that much so that is good. // 8

Nevermind Reviewed by: guylikesnirvana, on may 28, 2007

Sound: This Nirvana's second album and it's awesome. As news-reporters called it "a ground-breaking movement in grunge" in '91-'92. As usual all of the songs are hardly bad. Some are so catchy you can't get them out of your head! Main thing:Songs are catchy. There is no story that I know of. Main music styles are grunge-pop and hard-rock. Some of the songs are kinda creepy because Kurt uses his soft voice a lot. Also if you skip through "Something In The Way" to 13:49 "Endless, Nameless" starts. // 10

Lyrics: Overall impression of the lyrics are great. I think Kurt were still alive he'd still be writing lyrics for bands because he's just a great writer. He classified his lyrics as "A big pile of contradictions. I'll write a few sincere lines then I'll go back and make fun of them." That is so true. Compliance of the lyrics are awesome because some don't make sense but you know what he's saying anyways. Singer skills are great. Dave Ghrol of the Foo Fighters (was Nirvana) said "Kurt was a great singer. It sounds like he was boiling nails in his throat." // 10

Overall Impression: Overall impression on me is great. This is the first Nirvana album for me so I love it. This album does compare to other albums that they put out. All of the songs are impressive. "Endless, Nameless" gives me a headache. I absolutely love this album because it's Nirvana. My fav band! But that doesn't matter, I don't hate it at all. If you just now started to get into the grunge genre, buy this album. If this were lost/stolen from me I would probably buy this album again. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: Fender Mender, on june 18, 2007

Sound: This ground breaking album in the line of many is made up of distortion, acoustic, and an electric crunch that just can't be played be other bands. They used heavy bass lines and amazing bursts of guitar to put together an amazing album that reached billboard tops in the blink of an eye. // 3

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album seem to enter your head and make you think what were they doing when they thought of this song? This is one of the few bands that actually makes some (not a lot) sense of there lyrics. They made a huge impact on the whole world. Most of the time you couldn't sing some parts of the songs becuase of how Kurt Cobain would sing them. Kurt Cobain could sing amazingly well and pull it off. But he wouldn't pronounce the words as cleanly as he should have. As Kurt said in an interview; "I make two sincere verses and I have to make fun of them in my next". Kurt was an amazing artist and influence to everyone young and old. // 8

Overall Impression: This landmark in music history changed the overall perspective of what punk rock music is. But one song took the whole spot light of the album, the song Smells like teen spirit swept the nation and took no prisoners in its path. Many of the other songs on the album are just as known and played. For example Polly, Come as you are, and Lithium. This is one of the most amazing albums ever to be conceived. It perfectly blends Punk, Grungde, Rock, and Freedom to a perfect state and unleashes it. All of the songs are and were amazing. Almost every song can be listened to and not get old. RIP KURT COBAIN an amazing artist. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: cheddar2222, on january 07, 2008

Sound: This album is great I think it's a bit underated. Thais was my first album and it made me see that I had a passion for music and it changed how I thought bout music. Just because it has smells like teen spirit dosnt mean your not a true fan if this is your fvorite. This Album also got a lot of bands starten as far as '90s alt goes. My impression was that I thought it was pretty poppy yet hardcore and it sounded good. The passion Kurt, Dave, and Krist had is what I love bout them. they're other albums may be very hard core. (which I love and I think they all deserve a 10) but along with most of they're work this is trully geneus (except people need to listen to more than smells like teen spirit). // 10

Lyrics: Ok I don't need to say much. Kurt Cobain was a lyical geneus and I think he's one of the best. Singer skills may be rough but you can tell the passion in his voice so it sounds good. I've seen people around here saying that eddy vedder writes better lyrics. Not even close. Kurt had so much more song writing ability than them. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is one of they're greatest achevements. Anyone starting out listening to them should get this album then go from there. I think that "Bleach" is another great one and it will give you your hardcore grunge fix. This one is lik poppy/hardcore leaning a bit on the poppy side. Best songs: In Bloom, Come As You Are, Lithium, Polly, Drain You, Lounge Act, On A Plain. If I lost it I would definently have another one within the day. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: ironman1207, on february 14, 2008

Sound: When Kurt Kobain wrote songs, he always concentrated on sound first. This album came out of nowhere in 1991 and soon came to be the real start of alternative music worldwide. Nirvana is a grunge group, a grunge group consisting of a guitar, a bass, and a drum set. Grunge sort of is a mix between punk rock and heavy metal, with distorted sounds and a mixture of melodies instead of a centralized or recognizably centralized guitar, bass, or drum part. A good example of this can be sited in the song "Come as You Are", which maintains a constant rythm guitar riff throughout the song, but the guitars, bass, and drums progress through the song to build up a heavier sound. In a unique style of playing, Nirvana perfected the term grunge, although not as prevailent today, grunge became a nationwide trend in the 90s, largely due to this album. However, we can still see alternative music existing today that has survived and become amazingly succesfull, majorly because of this album. This is one of my favorite albums of all time and is very melodic when you are able to identify the beat and progression. This album definatly deserves 10/10, being one of the landmarks in the history of rock. // 10

Lyrics: Like the music, the lyrics are mellow and apathetic, influence becoming independent and confronting the challanges we face throughout life. Kobain, at the time, was feeling apathetic in his relationships with his family, peers, and God, which, unfortunatley, might have lead to his suicide in 1994. However, the legacy he left behind in his lryics tells us to sympathize with our fellow man, to "come as we are", hide nothing, don't be afraid, just get out whatever you need to get off of your chest. Ulimately, just feel for others. The lyrics in this album get you to think, and thus, the beauty of music - everyone has there own take and opinion. // 10

Overall Impression: You can't compare this album to any predessecor of this or any other band, as it was one of the first focal alternative albums in popular culture. Being a landmark in the history of rock, people who love music and history can't be without this album, not only as a milestone in rock, but in all of music, and the entire culture of the human race, and our ability to sympathize and feel for others. It marks a point in history when we progressed in society to become more independent, and free from others, which has ultimatly influenced the urge to grow up and become independent, espicially in teens of the time. A must own. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: dcg1234, on march 05, 2008

Sound: Nirvana is described as part of the "Seattle sound" and "grunge sound" but actually they had many punk and rock infulences that shine through on this album. The sound of the album is something different from what the '80s was, '80s being "hair metal" such as Poison and Quiet Riot. Till Nirvana and many others burst onto the scene with this new sound. The music style is grunge because of the way Kurt's guitar is distorted and how his voice fits with the style he's playing. Overall the sound is great, I have learned many on guitar myself and this is definetley a great album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very hard to make out because of Kurt's unusual singing voice.Though the lyrics are very deep and all have meaning behind them. Kurt always hid messages behind his songs and if you listen you can tell every story behind the songs by listening to the words. The lyrics also mix with the music and how it's played for example "Smells Like Teen Spirit" has the perfect sound for the lyrics and voice and how he's playing it. Also the Verse bass run for "In Bloom" sounds perfect to match with the song. The singing skills on this album are less than perfect but they do fit the lyrics and music. Kurt's words were very hard to figure out because of how he sung it but to me it blends right in with the album. // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of their best albums because of the hits and how this put them on the top of the charts.Though not my favorite, I think In Utero is their best. The most impressive song in my opinion is Come As You Are because of the verse riff and how much it stands out on the album. Also Drain You and Polly are two that stand out on the album. I love the sound of the album and how it all seems to come together right, But I hate some of the songs on the album such as Stay Away, Breed and Lounge Act.I also love the hidden track "Endless, Nameless" on the album too. If it were stolen I would be in the store the next day to buy one because it is one of my absolute favorites and I listen to it quite a bit. // 9

Nevermind Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2008

Sound: Nirvana is the greatest rock band of the 90s. Anyone who thinks different deserves to be dipped in chemicals. This band started grunge, and they are amazing. Nevermind is their best album, and it is the greatest rock album of the '90s. I have no f--king clue why they decided to put the cover the way it is. Anyway, Nirvana is my favorite band, and I give all their albums 5 stars, but this one gets a million stars. It's amazing! And "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is definitely the greatest song of the '90s. Every song on this album is great, but "Teen Spirit" is the best. // 10

Lyrics: People say that Kurt Cobain sounds like he has a sword stuck in his throat. They deserve to have their balls cut off and their head cut off. Kurt Cobain is definitely not the best singer, but he's my favorite songwriter/guitarist/singer. And I refuse to believe the fact that he killed himself. We all miss you Kurt. R.I.P. man. Krist is an amazing bassist, especially his work on "Lithium" and "Lounge Act." He is awesome. And Dave Grohl, well, if Kurt was an immortal, then Dave is one too. He is a master drummer, and plus he is the singer/rhythm guitarist for the Foo Fighters and the drummer for Tenacious D. This band rocks my heart and soul out! // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to all other grunge bands (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, STP, etc.), Nirvana beats them all. Nevermind beats out Ten, Superunknown, and all other grunge albums. Here are the top 5 best songs from the album from my opinion: 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit; 2. Come Aa You Are; 3. Lithium; 4. In Bloom; 5. Polly. I love everything about this album. (The cover I would definitely change.) I have the whole album from the CD on my Ipod. If I lost this CD, I would be upset for about 3 days. This is my favorite album. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: Stratogibson, on july 17, 2008

Sound: When Nirvana released Nevermind, the band nor DGC had any idea of the impact it would have. With the video of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" Nirvana reached mainstream success they never thought would be possible. The widespread radio play of their first single drove this album to the top of the charts. None of this was a goal of Nirvana. They just wanted to put out a good album that captured their new songwriting styles and musical taste. Nevermind has more of a pop side to it which was concieved by Kurt Cobain's songwriting. He took this technique on purpose but, he didn't want it to be too "poppy" so, he made the guitar sound really heavy to get a unique sound. Most of the songs on Nevermind are basically original. The only song that is directly influenced by another artist is "Smells Like Teen Spirit." That was a direct influence by the Pixies using a quiet, loud formula for that song. Even Kurt Cobain said he "basically ripped off that guitar riff." The other songs are just amazing when you listen too them. The album grabs your attention and you do not want to quit listening to it until the last second. Nevermind is a classic album and has influced countless artists the day it was put on the record store shelves. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Nevermind are somewhat hard to understand for a first time listener but, if you take the time and listen to them, you can decipher what they mean. Kurt Cobain had a unique way of writing lyrics. He either had no specific meaning in a song or he had several main ideas in the same song. He left it up to the listener to decide what it meant. The way the lyrics blended with the music was a perfect fit. The melodies along with the heavy guitar riffs and pounding drums was a terrific balance. Kurt Cobain delevered his best singing in this album which helped bring the songs out to a whole other level. Dave Grohl also helped with back harmonies that added a good sound to the singing. Butch Vig did a good job in double tracking Kurts vocals and making the songs richer and giving them better fullness to go along with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This album sometimes doesn't get the respect it deserves. People can say that Kurt wasn't a good guitarist or a good singer. They can say that the band as a whole didn't have any talent, that's fine. Those people don't realize the impact this album had on the music industry. Nevermind opened so many doors musically and influenced so many different genres of rock. I can't think of another album that created such a "buzz" on the radio or MTV so quickly. It changed the way everyone thought of the rock genre as a whole. Every song on Nevermind is amazing. Their are absolutely no fillers on this album. Every time a listen to Nevermind, I never skip a song. The particularly good songs on Nevermind are: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Lithium, Come as you are, In Bloom, Drain You, Territorial Pissings, and On a plain. The rest of the songs on Nevermind are terrific but, the songs above are the ones that just stick out. If Nevermind was never made, I don't think any other "grunge" album could have changed the coarse of music although, their was a lot of particularly good grunge albums (Ten, Superunknown, Dirt). If I lost Nevermind, I would definitely buy it again. It is a album that is unforgettable and is arguably the best rock album of all time. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: matadm, on september 06, 2008

Sound: Here are my impressions of each individual song. 01. Smells Like Teen Spirit - this is my second favorite song of Nirvana. The beginning of this song has the catchiest little tune ever. Overall this song is great! 10/10 02. In Bloom - one of my favorite Nirvana songs. The meaning of this song is about how people listen to song and have no idea what it means. Ironically this song is listened by all the people who targets. It is catchy. 10/10 03. Come as You Are - this song is great. It starts out as a ghostly tune and continues with a very catchy tune. Not much to say about it except that I like it. 9/10 04. Breed - good song great lyrics and even better guitar. This song is one of the most catchy tunes ever! I think because of it repetition. 9/10 05. Lithium - one of my favorites songs by Nirvana! I don't quite remember but I think this song was about going crazy or somthing like that. Overall great song! 9.5/10 06. Polly - strange little song if you ask me. About a girl getting out of being raped by pretending that she likes it. Weird! A little too slow for me. 7/10 07. Territorial Pissings - I used to really like this song, but I really overplayed it. This song is really more punk than Nirvanas grunge stuff. 7.5/10 08. Drain You - this song is good, not my favorite but it is still good. Catchy little beat at the beginning. 8/10 09. Lounge Act - I love this song really catchy great lyrics and a good guitar. 9/10 10. Stay Away - not many people like this song by Nirvana because of it's poor lyrics. Althought I do think it has poor lyric use, I still like the song. A lot better than the pay to play version. 8/10 11. On a Plain - I love this song. It has a really catchy verse. I never really liked it more than the others like "teen spirit" and "in bloom" but it is still a great song. 8.5/10 12. Something in the Way - a very sad depressing sounding song. I really love this song really one of my favorites of Nirvanas. It was a really good choice to end the album off with (although endless nameless is truly the ending song is much better!) it's about him when he used to live under a bridge. 9.5/10 13. Endless, Nameless - one of the greatest Nirvana songs ever. it's is even great how they played it, smashing their guitars and equipment. I also love the way he screams in this song (I love how Kurt screams! He has the greatest scream in my opinion!) Really and truly a great song I recommend it to anyone! 10/10 // 10

Lyrics: Kurt Cobain has better lyrics than any band I know. Kurt was a master at wrighting songs. No one could ever be better than the master! If you like a good guitar, catchy beat, meaningfull lyrics, and an awesome song overall Nirvana is the right band for you. Kurt is the greatest! // 10

Overall Impression: I really have no idea what I like better 'in utero' or 'nevermind' they are really both great albums! If you like "nevermind" you will definitely like 'in utero'. Nirvana is my all time favorite band next to Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. If you like Nirvana listen to Alice in Chains, they are heavier than Nirvana and are almost just as good. Grunge will live on forever! // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 28, 2008

Sound: Nevermind, what can I say, definitely the greatest grunge album ever released and in my opinion the greatest album ever released. Anyway, this album differs substantially from Nirvana's first album, Bleach, it's a more polished sound, yet with keeps it's punk origins, this is really the album that gave birth to the grunge phenomena. Every song has a cathcy melody and will have you nodding your head to the rhythm Nirvana create and every solo, so simple yet so effective will have you playing air guitar. I'll rate every song individually now. 01.Smells Like Teen Spirit: so catchy for such a simple riff, you'll just want to rock out to this one.Amazing //10 02.In Bloom didn't instantly draw me in, but one your pulled in by the melodic guitar riffs, it'll blow your mind //9 03.Come As You Are: an instantly recognisable sound at the start, mixed with some great lyrics and different monotones in Kurt's voice, you'll be hooked //10 04.Breed: fast, abrasive, a typical grunge sound//8 05.Lithium: a smooth intro, of simple but effective riffs, exploding into a chorus of fast guitar riffs and Kurt's voice shines in this one//10 06.Polly: not a typical Nirvana song, but a haunting song about a rape victim who escaped, Kurt's voice is deep and hurtful in this song, excellent.//9.5 07.Territorial Pissings: probably my least favourite song of the album, but still punky, fast and will get the adrenaline pumping//7.5 08.Drain You: a song, which experiments with raw grunge yet goes iin and out of grunge and light rock.//8 09.Lounge Act: fast, smooth, lyrics you can't understand, Kurt with a crazily fast voice, a polished but good sound.//9 10.Stay Away: a song with a fantastic drumbeat and some catchy lyrics "Monkey say, Monkey Do".//9 11.On A Plain: great lyrics, soothing yet, abrasive melody to it, great monotones to Kurt's voice here.//9.5 12.Something In The Way: to enjoy this song you need to understand Kurt, a very haunting, slow song, with some eerie yet deep lyrics//8.5 // 10

Lyrics: Some great lyrics here, most people see Kurt's lyrics as just fast and catchy, but make no sense. But underneath his misunderstood lyrics, lies the lyrics of a moody genius who can change songs, with his moods and writes exactly what comes to his mind, even if it's fast, aggressive, he'll get his point across. Brilliant in my opinion, even if you don't understand them. // 9

Overall Impression: Great album, way too many good songs in these, all these songs are strong, fast, loud, abrasive, aggressive yet in some songs his voice can epitomise the moody melodies of some of the softer songs. At his best when screaming out fantastically catchy lyrics, yet keep a melody and polish to them that most rock fans can enjoy Nirvana. Kurt's amazing yet credit to Dave Grohl for his explosive drumbeats with keep the songs pace up, and Krist Novoselic for his background bass, which keeps the songs going in there quieter moments. Best album ever in my opinion, definitely best album of the 90's. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: vacant101, on december 17, 2008

Sound: Nirvana did amazingly well, to start off with, for creating the genre Grunge and influencing so many young people. Even though Kurt Cobain wasn't the best guitarist or singer in the world, his songwriting talent provided teens with a music sensation to hit back at adults. There was good use of distortion and clean sounds, the drumming was varied, but the screaming in some songs put me off a bit, especially if you listen to it loudly. // 9

Lyrics: As I said, Kurt Cobain's voice wasn't the best, but the lyrics got the message across, for example, Smells Like Teen Spirit and Breed. Polly had a strong message, that they got across very clearly if you listen to them. The lyrics aren't complex but it mixes well with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: Probably my least favourite of all the songs on Nevermind is Something In The Way, as the sound's slightly depressing. My favourites include... well, the rest of the album. I keep listening to certain songs though, like, Lithium, Breed, Lounge Act, Drain You. It I lost it or it got stolen, I would definitely buy it again, as I enjoy 11 songs out of 12. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: 90smusic92, on march 31, 2009

Sound: I vaguely remember Nirvana growing up, this being because Nirvana was sadly over before I was three years old. However I did hear some of their songs on the radio, like Smells Like Teen Spirit and Lithium, etc. But in the past year or so I have really started listening to music seriously and I can honestly say Nirvana is one of my favorites. What was so special about Kurt Cobain was that he could take poppy, catchy songs and make them sound so heavy, and in your face. This album is probably the best of their three studio records, being that it took alternative/grunge music to the mainstream. Did Nirvana ask to be put in the spotlight? No, but with this record, Kurt was put as the spokesperson as the then modern music. With the high energy guitars and drums plus the angst ridden lyrics, it was impossible for Kurt not to be the voice of his generation. // 9

Lyrics: Supposedly most of the songs on this album were written about Kurt's relationship with Tobi Vail, an ex-girlfriend. So, in a way the songs are written in a pained, personal, expression than they are as trying to evoke a message. I believe Kurt is a great lyricist in some ways, because he doesn't exactly follow the certain writing criteria, meaning he talks about some things that would seem uncomfortable or are darker than others. 01.Smells Like Teen Spirit: there probably is no other song on this album that is a better opener than Smells Like Teen Spirit. With it's high energy sound and Kurt giving one of his best singing performances ever, the sound is amazing. However the lyrics were written as nothing more than nonsense. The only real reason the song was considered angst ridden was the music video. 02.In Bloom: this song is one of my favorites on this record. Kurt is basically writing about the kind of person who just sings along to any song, not really listening to the words he's singing. What's so great is that Kurt makes the song itself catchy and it's hard not to sing along to! 03.Come As You Are: this is a great track as well. With it's haunting riff played over and over, it gives the song a kind of dark sound. It's also kind of eerie hearing Kurt say, "I swear I don't have a gun". 04.Breed: a very high energy song that you can't help but feel rebellious and causing chaos. I do think though this is another song written about nonsense. 05.Lithium: my personal favorite on Nevermind. With the loud and quiet dynamics, and Kurt yelling "Ya" in the chorus, it gives the song an awesome sound. Written about a man who turns to religion after everything in his life goes bad. 06.Polly: another dark, haunting song. Written about a raping of a girl in the narrative of the rapist. 07.Territorial Pissings: the most punk song on Nevermind. It's very high energy and loud. I don't think it has any really meaning. 08.Drain You: another decent song. It kind of has a more poppy sound, reminiscent of The Beatles. Written about the relationship between Kurt and Tobi Vail. 09.Lounge Act: an okay song. Supposedly another song about Tobi Vail. 10.Stay Away: this song means absolutely nothing. Probably the weakest song on Nevermind. 11.On A Plain: another one of my favorites. Kind of goes along with Drain You with the poppy, catchiness. 12.Something In The Way: the most darkest song on the record. It keeps being interpreted that Kurt was writing about himself living under a bridge. However, that's not true. Still with that in mind, it gives the song a depressing feeling. 13.Endless, Nameless: if your record has it, okay. If not, don't worry about it. Basically a seven minute jam with Kurt screaming nonsense words over it. It is pretty safe to say that Kurt Cobain is one hell of a singer. You can definitely tell he's singing his guts out and singing with emotion. In fact on Territorial, he loses his voice at the end! // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great album. It's so catchy in so many songs that it's hard not to sing along to and yet it's heavy. What makes Nevermind so highly regarded is it brought grunge music to the mainstream and totally redefined popular music. Listen to the music and appreciate it as what it is and not about how Kurt was depressed with his life, cause that's not what Nevermind is all about. Kurt was not depressed at all in the making of this album and I truly believe this is the greatest piece of art he contributed to music. So buy this CD and give it a good listen. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: dixon247, on december 14, 2011

Sound: If you haven't heard Nirvana you are either a) jazz fan, b) deaf, or c) living under a rock. This is THE most important band of the last 25 years and "Nevermind" is their most important album. The variety of music on this album goes from pop-rock to grunge to punk and all the way back. The album is mainly known for smells like teen spirit, the song that catapulted Kurt Cobain and Nirvana to superstardom, yet it isn't the best song on this near perfect album. The grinding, heavy guitars compliment the Beatle-esque pop melodies and the contrast between quiet verses and loud choruses work in a way that only one band can get away with. They did it on this album. // 9

Lyrics: If the sound and music are legendary, the lyrics are godly. Certain lines stick out such as "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't after you", "We can plant a house, we can build a tree" and "Truth covered in security, I won't let you smother me". The lyrics are as good as they get on an album since Lennon and McCartney. Kurt's voice is definitely divisive as the raspiness and rawness doesn't suit every person's ears. This said though the vulnerability of Kurt Cobain's vocals show a man that means every single word that he sings, shouts or cries. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is as relevant 20 years after release as it was 20 years ago. It is almost flawless and the production is near perfection. If this album was stolen I would buy it again although I own 2 copies of it anyway. Buy this album if you don't have it already. // 10

Nevermind Reviewed by: aaronmcm99, on july 04, 2012

Sound: This is the almighty Nirvana album. Their biggest and most famous album to date. The album cover is symbolic - message being money corrupts all. Now onto sound. The general sound of Nirvana is big, dirty heavy grunge, so heavy guitars are the call of the day. While everyone knows Dave and Kurt, I have to give credit to Krist Novoselic, the bassist as normally the bass has little to do in the main parts but he does a wonderful job and is the 2nd best bassist ever the first being Twiggy Ramirez. Dave Grohl is just a BEAST on drums, he's so good at them, and Kurt is a great guitarist even if some of the songs are a little on the simple side. So sound wise everything's great not a bit of bother on the trio. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are very well written - for example: "Sell the kids for food Weather changes mood Spring is hear again Reproductive glands". As for Kurt's singing ability, well look you can hit as much high notes as you want or sing a melody, but the way Kurt sings is good and requires more talent than you would think. So the lyrics are great too. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a very good album and a true classic. 01. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - they're most famous song and rightly so, the song is great with a fantastic riff. 02. "Come As You Are" - I have to say, best bassline EVER and has a very catchy chorus. 03. "In Bloom" - a depressing song but outright fantastic. 04. "Breed" - another classic, I love it. 05. "Lithium" - my favourite song on the album and THE LYRICS! Are out of this world. 06. "Polly" - Not the best but still great. 07. "Territorial Pissings" - ignore the name, this isn't p-ss, its the SH-T! 08. "Drain You" - its a good song but just the one I'd skip a lot. 09. "Lounge Act" - this really grew on me! 10. "Stay Away" - bit of a disappointment but a decent song. 11. "On A Plain" - a very good song! 12. "Something In The Way" - a great finish. JUST BUY THIS ALBUM! // 10

More Nirvana reviews rating latest review
+ Amsterdam Love Buzz [Bootleg] 7.5 06/13/2013