Nirvana Review

artist: nirvana date: 05/25/2007 category: compact discs
nirvana: Nirvana
Released: Oct 29, 2002
Genre: Rock
Tones: Volatile, Bleak, Brooding, Cathartic, Visceral, Aggressive, Tense/Anxious, Brash, Fiery, Intense, Harsh
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.9
 9.4
 8.3
Nirvana Reviewed by: YouKnowYourRite, on october 30, 2003

Sound: Nirvana. Pioneers of grunge. With Nirvana it's all about the distortion and power chords, but hey if it's a winning formula why change it? Songs like Smells Like Teen Spirit and Pennyroyal Tea, have all out raging vocals and chaos distortion but instead of sounding like a muddled up piece of crap they sound really really good. // 8

Lyrics: As everyone knows Kurt is an excellent song-writer and although some of his lyrics are a bit cheesy (i.e. 'I'll take all the blame, Aqua sea-foam shame') but still they seem to work really well with his style of singing and thats the beauty of Nirvana , though it is fairly oddball, it works well. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good compilation to introduce people to NIRVANA , i got it as a gift and since i have bought all the Nirvana albums and they are my favorite band, so if your not sure if you like Nirvana or not i reccomend you buy this album to give you a general idea of what they are like. Although some downsides to this are some of the raw full out tracks of In-Utero are left out and some classics are left out...like polly. Also it is very Nevermind dominated with only 1 track from bleach , 2 from incesticide , 4 from unplugged , 2 from in-utero , 1 unreleased and about 4 or 5 from Nevermind. This is a good choice for people unused to Nirvanas style or for people who love the band and want something that they can listen to through-out to enjoy the not-quite-full Nirvana expierience offered by this. I recommend you buying it. // 8

Nirvana Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 19, 2004

Sound: Diverse and yet you can still tell its Nirvana with their usual flowing verses and slamming choruses. To get the full feel of each song I will go through each one individually: 01. You Know You're Right - strange start but very catchy once you get to Novoselic's awesome watery bass playing. Then Kurt Cobain comes in with his eerie yet moving vocals. Very good. I give it a 5. 02. About A Girl - classic rock. Classic Nirvana. Starts with Cobain's usual slappy guitar playing (As in Smells Like Teen Spirit and Rape Me). Great drum playing in this song. I think in this song, Cobain tries to stretch his voice a liitle too high though. I still give it a 5. 03. Been A Song - catchy. Has an agreeable melody and riff. The verses have a latter day Beatles flavor to them but the song is a little monotonous. I give it a 4. 04. Sliver - definitely a different feel from the last three. Obscure is the word. I like the bass riff in the beggining. I don't like the overall motion of the song, there is no emotional climb. I give it a 3. 05. Smells Like Teen Spirit - do I even need to say anything. Dave Grohl wrote the majority of the song. Between the guitar, bass, drums, and vocals, nothing stands out too much in the song (which is good) and it has some nice drum and guitar licks. Very simple and a very excellent use of power chords. Good, classic Nirvana. I give it a 5. 06. Come As You Are - I can feel the Meat Puppets in this song, who were some of Cobain's innovators. I love the watery bass at the beggining. The drums come in and make for a very cool riff. Cobain's singing isn't too over-powering in this song, which is a undetermined plus or minus. A fair to good song. I give it a 4. 07. Lithium - definitely a Beastlesque verse style (with almost McCartney sounding vocals to boot), with the usual crashing refrain. I love the chord changes in the verse. One of my favorite songs on this album. Suprisingly good despite its lack of words in the chorus. Very Good. I give it a 5. 08. In Bloom - heavy prelude. Grungy verse. Punk chorus. Probably the hardest song in the album. I'd have to say this song isn't very good as far as chord diversity and emotional climb. Not too good. Sorry. I give it a 3. 09. Heart Shaped Box - Cobain's out of the blue fingerpicking style and jumpy, yet effective use of string bending create one of the best songs on the album as far as Cobain's performance and writing ability goes. Good job Kurt. Good song. I give it a 4. 10. Pennyroyal Tea - this song was remastered after Cobain's death which is a pity because he wasn't pleased with the original product. The sound changes from the typical minor chords to a semi-bright major. I think think this a very good song musically with great chord changes and vocal harmonies. Excellent. I give it a 5. 11. Rape Me - I actually like this song a lot even though its title prevents some people from even listening to it. Starts with Cobain on guitar and vocals and Novoselic and Grohl come in later. It almost has a whimsical start and adds intensity throughout the song. Simple song but I guess its likeable. I give it a 4. 12. Dumb - great songs musically with some outstanding riffs. I can't understand the vocals, but even if Cobain hummed it would still be good. I give it a 5. 13. All Apologies - the best song on the album. A change for Nirvana from electric to acoustic doesn't hinder their performance in the song. Cobain's lengthy vocal stretch gives the song a certain grace no one would expect and the acoustic guitar creates a delightful earthy atmosphere. You can feel the passion Cobain put in this song. A plesant drum boom-chik and grooving bass drone drive the song musically and emotionally. The best song on the album. I give it a 5. 14. The Man Who Sold That World - semi distorted guitar riff in the beggining is a plus. Drums have a very hollow tone. The acoustic guitar(s) strum out some beautiful major and minor-seventh chords and Kurt Cobain's voice matches perfectly with the acoustic feel. I believe the bass shines in this song. Listen to the driving bass progressions. They are fantastic. This David Bowie classic is a very good song to end on. I give it a 5. I give the overall sound a 5. Very good in general, with only a few "iffy" parts. Musically the best are: About A Girl, Lithium, Pennyroyal Tea, All Apologies, The Man Who Sold The World and Come As You Are. // 10

Lyrics: There's no Death defying screaming, no soft whispering. Just Kurt's usual drone which, if you're used to Nirvana, is normal. The lyrics are so Nirvana original, that's a good enough reason to listen. 01. You Know You're Right - eerie yet stunning, a 5. 02. About A Girl - musical and delightful, a 5. 03. Been A Song - monotonous yet workable, a 4. 04. Sliver - plesant however out-of-place, a 3. 05. Smells Like Teen Spirit - "Wait, what are they saying?, oh well, still sounds cool!" (It cracks me up to hear people try to sing the song stupid contagious and the average bear doesn't no what a mulatto is). Classic and catchy, a 5. 06. Come As You Are - groovy and grungy, perfect, a 5. 07. Lithium - simple ergo awesome, a 5. 08. In Bloom - fair to good, a 4. 09. Heart Shaped Box - good and likeable, a 5. 10. Pennyroyal Tea - immortal and driving, a 5. 11. Rape Me - musical yet questionable, a 4. 12. Dumb - droning yet moving, a 5. 13. All Apologies - detemined and likable, a 5 14. The Man Who Sold That World - classic and stylish, a 5. The lyrics are original, and driving. The best songs vocally/lyric-wise are: You Know You're Right, About A Girl, Come As You Are, Pennyroyal Tea, Lithium, All Apologies and The Man Who Sold The World. // 10

Overall Impression: If you want Nirvana, that's what you're going to get. It is full of forceful determination in both the music and lyrics. The best 3 Nirvana written songs on the album are: About A Girl, Pennyroyal Tea, and All Apologies. These are probably Kurt Cobain's best musical acheivements. Lithium, Dumb, and Smells Like Teen Spirit are, of course, still awesome Nirvana Classics. // 10

Nirvana Reviewed by: mental_zer0, on september 20, 2006

Sound: It's all of Nirvana's greatest hits. If you have this album, then you should be expecting the sound to be the same as always, with the exception of "All Apologies" and "The Man Who Sold The World," both of them being from the MTV Unplugged session, and possibly "You Know You're Right," depending on the version you have heard. It's also referred to as On A Mountain, though that was an error on Grohl's part at a concert. // 10

Lyrics: Kurt Cobain is one of the greatest songwriters of all time. The lyrics at first glance look like either deep thoughts or babbling nonsense. Some look like complete trip songs (though some are I.e. Mrs. Butterworth on Sliver: Best of The Box). However, with a closer look, you can truly understand either the joy or pain (mostly pain) Kurt tried to show through his music. Just listen to "Heart-Shaped Box" and you should get it. // 10

Overall Impression: Fantastic CD. Though it is only a compilation of their bigger hits, it still keeps the traditional feel of the band. Even the flow of the album feels right, with Kurt's 1994 remastering of "You Know You're Right" opening the album with the eerie ringing and a slithering bass. There aren't any true rarities on this album, so it's just another Greatest Hits album from another great band. // 9

Nirvana Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 09, 2006

Sound: This album covers the pop side of Nirvana leaving out much of the early noise rock songs (Sifting, Blew, Negative Creep) etc. It also has only 3 recordings from In Utero. The album not so much itself but the song You Know You're Right was heavily disputed between Courtney Love and 2/3 of Nirvana (Grohl and Novoselic) being settled in the courts in the end an unreleased real song not a demo from Nirvana. If you like the singles from the band you'll like the album. // 10

Lyrics: The new song You Know You're Right has very good lyrics and possibly the best Kurt Cobain vocals ever recorded. The rest of the album features the pop tunes which feature lyrics that follow the band's poetic pattern. The vocals are somewhat tame other than on 'Teen Spirit', Heart-Shaped Box, and Rape Me. If you don't like the grunge vocals the last two tracks and Dumb are easy going acoustics with soft vocals. Rape Me isn't explicit other than the word rape (doesn't talk about rape at all uses rape as a metaphor). // 10

Overall Impression: If you don't know any Nirvana songs, I highly recommend this album. If you're a hardcore fan you have to buy it for the new single "You Know You're Right" not to mention a re-mix of Pennyroyal Tea This by far is one of the best Greatist Hits albums ever. If it were stolen I'd buy it again and again. Keep one to listen to one in a vault and frame one. Here's an overview. 01. You Know You're Right - a must listen to song, combines every aspect of Nirvana in one sweet 3 and half minute present. 02. About A Girl - the only song from bleach on the album, but possibly the catchiest and lightest song featuring little distortion. 03. Been A Son - one of the shortest songs on the album with a high amount of distortion. One of two songs from Incesticide. 04. Sliver - a song recognized only by true Nirvana fans with one of the greatest bass lines ever. 05. Smells Like Teen Spirit - if you have never heard even part of this song or heard of it where have you been since 1991. 06. Come As You Are - a radio friendly upbeat song with no particular meaning. Most likely to be heard on a pop station today. 07. Lithium - this song describes multiple emotions not seriously though. And features the most simple chorus ever featuring one word YEAH. 08. In Bloom - a slower hard-edged grunge song with an awesome solo. Sometimes played by foot live. The last song from Nevermind. 09. Heart-Shaped Box - the lead single from Nirvana's final studio album. Often regarded as some of Nirvana's best work. 10. Pennyroyal Tea - the re-mix of a great Nirvana song, even better than original cut. Was to be a released as single in April '94. 11. Rape Me - the most controversial Nirvana song ever. Overlooked by many because of the title, Rape Me is one of Nirvana's best musical efforts. 12. Dumb - a fun song with a carefree attitude. This song is about what it's called. About being dumb. 13. All Apologies - unfortunately, it's the unplugged version so it's not as good as the studio version on In Utero. Along with Smells Like Teen Spirit one of the greatest Nirvana songs ever. 14. The Man Who Sold The World - a memorable moment from the unplugged performance and the only unplugged song to feature distortion. A great rendition of the David Bowie classic a great send-off. // 10

Nirvana Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 27, 2003

Sound: Great CD, I got it last year after my freind played it for me. It's got great sound. I especially like some of the Bass lines in songs like Lithium. I am a bass player myself and I think Krist Novoselic did a really great job with the Bass. The sound is really clean. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics really reflected the life of Kurt and a lot of other people in the world. He talks about how he was moved from house to house in his youth (Sliver) and just his life in general. Smells Like Teen Spirit is about his teenage life, it also shows his obsession with guns (first line which says "Load up on guns") The lyrics really go well with the flow of the song. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is my favorite CD and really is worth buying if you are into rock. The most impressive songs from this CD are Smells Like Teen Spirit and Pennyroyal Tea. I like how this CD reflects what Kurt was feeling and his opinions about things. If I lost this CD I would buy it again, it is a collector item for all those NIRVANA fans out there. It is the greatest CD in the world, if you like good music, buy it. // 10

Nirvana Reviewed by: Slut, on november 28, 2003

Sound: Nirvana was punk rock. Label it grunge or alt rock if you will, but the band itself, it's members were punk rock. The sound of this cd, as well as all Nirvana recordings, is more punk rock then any other grunge band. So if you like punk and grunge, but alot of grunge is alittle mellow or not aggressive enough for you, Nirvana may be your band. The CD sounds great, of course. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in my opinion were always the fine point of Nirvana, and it, of course, shines through here. Shareing some of the most memorable and famous lines from all Nirvana cd's such as "Im Anemic Royalty" and "I think Im dumb, maybe just happy". The guitars arnt shred-gone-wild of course, very simple, emotionally played music. But not in the sense of emo. The vocals of course was not the greatest, but Kurt Cobains voice shines through and basically says "listen to me". If you don't like it it will grow on you. // 8

Overall Impression: The CD did not really compare to Nirvana's other cd's because it is a greatest hits type of deal. The most impressive songs to me are Heart Shaped Box and Dumb. I love the CD because it takes good music from differnt cd's and puts them together, I don't like it because it's just a rehash and you probably already have those songs if you like nirvana at all. I broke mine, and I havent replaced it. But thats because I have them all on other cd's, so personally if I lost it or broke it as I did I wouldnt replace it. It's only worth buying if you're a fanboy or you're just getting into nirvana, otherwise you've already heard all the songs on the CD. The only reason to buy it is for "You know you're right" but you can get that easily other ways. // 6

Nirvana Reviewed by: Ratiug318, on november 28, 2003

Sound: The simplistic yet catchy guitar riffs are agressive and angry, and help with the mood of the song. Kurt Cobain was a very good writer and guitar player. Dave Grohl, who would later shine in Foo Fighters, plays drums perfectly on this album. // 8

Lyrics: Kurt's lyrics are very personal and moving. From the sarcasticness of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" to the deceptively sweet "Heart Shaped Box", his lyrics vary a lot, and portray emotions that we all have felt and can relate to. // 10

Overall Impression: A couple of the best songs on the album are "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Rape Me". If I lost it I would probably buy it again, after loading up on all the other CD's and guitar equipment I've been saving up for. This is Nirvana's final masterpiece, and it makes the cut. // 8

Nirvana Reviewed by: JenJen, on january 26, 2004

Sound: I think it was sort of grunge. Sometimes the guitar had a twangy country feeling to it, and sometimes it was just pure metal. I don't know, I just know the CD was absolutely awesome. // 10

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics were a little confusing on some songs, such as "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I guess they were talking about diversion, but the idea was a little unclear. On "Rape Me", I thought the idea was great and the sound was, but the part where it goes "I'll kiss your open sores" part was uh, interesting. "Lithium" had wonderful lyrics. I know that lithium is a drug/treatment (on the periodic table) for people that are depressed or bipolar. At the end, it goes, "I like it (I'm not gonna crack) I miss you (I'm not gonna crack) I love you (I'm not gonna crack) I kill you (I'm not gonna crack)" This shows a little bit or "bipolar-ness", hence the title. // 8

Overall Impression: I absolutely loved this CD. It was great and I thought Kurt did a great job (I have a subconcious attatchment to him) I personally like "You know you're right" the best. I love how all the songs have a different feeling to them. It is most definitely worth buying. // 10

Nirvana Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2004

Sound: Sound was very good in this album, with tracks like Teen Spirit and Come as You are you can't go wrong, though it really impressed me the re-produced version of Pennyroyal Tea, really well done. The tracks coming off the Unplugged album gave it kind of a diversity sound-wise. // 8

Lyrics: Kurt Cobain was always praised for his lyrics, he was a regular guitar player and an average singer (well he had a screwed stomach so you couldn't ask much from him anyways), but his lyrics were one of the highlights of it's music. Personally Lithium comes out to me as a very honest songs that shows off Cobain's amazing talent to fill the tunes with emotional yet truthful lyrics. He really had a good sense of melody, which was always a bonus as the lyric's flow through the song was great. // 10

Overall Impression: Well i have divided thoughts on this album as it certainly was a great greatest hit collection but even when about all the songs in it are valuable in Nirvana's career, a lot of other GREAT songs were left out and it really hurt the credibility of the album. Songs like the always depressing 'Polly', one of the first MAJOR hits of the band 'Aneurysm' and so on ('Territorial Pissings', 'Lake of Fire', 'Serve the Servants'). But all in all, it was a good album. // 8

Nirvana Reviewed by: altronataku, on june 01, 2004

Sound: Their greatest hits album has the signature sounds of Nirvana. obviously because of the singles Smells Like Teen Spirits and in Bloom and all of that. But it doesn't have some of the more rawer and different sounding songs. It's pretty easy to get used to because the songs are more pop and pretty familiar too. Also the last song is the very catchy David Bowie song, The Man Who Sold The World and they did a great job covering it. // 8

Lyrics: kurt wrote some great lyrics that are in this album. You can see his growth as his feelings and style of writing change in this album because it has songs from the different time periods of Nirvana. On About A Girl, from their first album, and also Sliver, if you compare it to the other songs, it sounds more premature and just typical teenage attitude. That still lingers a bit in SLTS but you can also tell Kurt was changing his outlook on things with Lithium and Come As You Are. Then, after the Nevermind songs end, the matured writings of In Utero follows. You can tell how much Kurt has matured on songs like Heart Shaped Box and Pennyroyal Tea. // 10

Overall Impression: The cool thing about this album is that its sort of like a chronology of Nirvana records, from the first Kurt ever written (About A Girl) to the last recordings they did before nirvana stopped (unplugged)in order. Although, the first song is the last song they ever made, you know you're right. This is probably sort of like a goodbye note before you reflect on nirvana's history. What I think it lacked was more songs. The cd's only about 50 minutes and I no they could have fitted more on it. They couldve used this to put some of the more unknown songs or songs with different sound to it, so it would give off a more accurate impression of the whole Nirvana. But if I had to buy it again because somethin bad happened to it, I would. The cd book gives you a great summary of nirvana and the songs. And its a great way to start off if you want to get into Nirvana. // 8

Nirvana Reviewed by: 3CardMonty, on july 21, 2004

Sound: The sound quality of the cd is top notch as far as I could tell. The music styles vary widely from kind of soft rock to all out grunge rip em a new a-hole. Overall the music and sound is excellent. // 10

Lyrics: The songs are a compilation of Nirvana songs from the 3 albums so they are all pretty good and innovative. The singer skills aren't good in relation to say Placido Domingo but I think they're very good for the music and it fits a heck of a lot better then opera would. // 10

Overall Impression: I think it is better then most albums out there today because Nirvana was certainly a great band. The most impressive songs are (in no particular order): About A Girl, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, Lithium, Heart-Shaped Box, Rape Me, and Dumb. So it pretty much covers all the best songs from the three Nirvana albums. I like most how it has most of the best songs from the albums. But that's also what I hate. There are very notable songs missing, the biggest being Polly, I'm not sure why this one is missing. I would definately buy it again if it was lost/stolen. // 10

Nirvana Reviewed by: can't_stop4ever, on august 12, 2005

Sound: Overall I think that this CD is definatley one of the best sounding on my shelf the thick grunge sound makes this a must have for anyone. Even though this is just a mix from other albums it takes the best of Nirvana and mixes it together into one seriously good album. // 10

Lyrics: I think that lyrics were probably not one of nirvana's strong points and after Smells Like Teen Spirit few people would (a mullato, alibino etc.) but some lyrics such as the lyrics to come as you are or even you know your right have a deeper meaning that what first comes across. // 8

Overall Impression: I think that overall this is a fantastic worthwhile album that first got me interested in Nirvana. I definatley think that this album would not have been complete without the grunge tones of Smells Like Teen Spirit and the more relaxed Dumb and I also think that the previously unrealeased You Know You're Right was one of the best songs on the album, however, I would have left off Where Did You Sleep Last Night, I thought it was very western and had a spooky sound to it. I think that their song serve the servants should have been included as it is one of their finest. // 10

Nirvana Reviewed by: Cobain-iac_90, on october 01, 2005

Sound: Basically the godfathers of grunge, Nirvana has a sound that transcends pop culture. I bought the album after hearing "Come As You Are" and "Lithium," first hooked by the dark, melodic riffs and then reeled in after the screaming choruses. I love the mixture of the screaming, the whispering, and the inaudiable verses you hear in songs like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "All Apologies." The blending of both grunge and acoustic performances was just amazing. Kurt's use of unorthodox scales, patterns and even harmonics is just mind-blowingly simple and creative at the same time. Definitely worth a listen. // 10

Lyrics: Now, I do agree, some of Nirvana's lyrics were a bit mystifying and of course hard to hear, but the mood that some of them set makes up for that. All the songs in there deal with the feelings Kurt Cobain felt during his life, I. e. teen angst, depression, love, hate, anger, fear, etc. so there is a great deal of emotion used in each and every song. He even makes his cover of David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World" sound like his own. But then you get those songs where you're wondering, "What's he saying?" So while they may not have the greatest lyrics, they still send out a message. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this album is a great album for the new Nirvana fan, seeing as this is basically your starter-set for grunge. It does have some very hard-to-find tracks, like "Sliver," and it basically takes the best of every album and radio hit. I was a little disappointed that "Polly" or "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For a Sunbeam" weren't on there, but most of the songs were their big radio hits. I love the sound that the band creates throughout the album, from depressed to angry to hate to love and back again. If I lost this album or someone stole it from me, I'd definitely buy it again, no hesitation. This is a great album, but the seperate albums do give you a little more depth to the band. // 10

Nirvana Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on november 18, 2005

Sound: This is the bands greatest hits album or something like that. I am not a big fan of grunge but I do like Nirvana. My two favorite songs by Nirvana are Come As You Are and Smells Like Teen Spirit. Come As You Are has a cool introduction. I always get it stuck in my head every time I listen to it. Smells Like Teen Spirit has to be the best song by them in my opinion. Other good songs on this album may include Lithium, In Bloom and Rape Me. I think that they should have put the track Polly on the album to. // 10

Lyrics: I like Nirvana's lyrics alot. Kurt Cobain was a great vocalist before he died in 1994. If he never died Nirvana propely would be five times better today then they are when they first started. // 10

Overall Impression: I like Nirvana way better than the Foo Fighters. Nirvana are like 1,000,000,000 times better than the Foo Fighters in my opinion. The most impressive songs on this album to me are Come As You Are and Smells Like Teen Spirit. I didn't realy want to buy the album Nevermind because of the naked baby so I bought this one. I don't hate anything about this album and if it were lost I would be looking everywhere for it until I find it. // 10

Nirvana Reviewed by: PRWNDWIA, on february 22, 2006

Sound: Grungy rock I suppose. This is the best of the best when it comes to Nirvana and the sound is well just what you would expect, it blows you away. You should know most of the songs on this album already, and if you dont you need to buy this CD then. There should be something for everyone here, from their softer begginings to their peak grunge period to their unplugged period to their moving to a harder rock sound period which was never fully explored. // 10

Lyrics: I cant help think a lot of the lyrics are just randomly things scribbled down but that doesnt matter because you cant hear them most of the time anyway. Anyway the lyrics to you know your right are something you really need to listen to, it's as if he is explaining what he is about to do. Kurt hasn't got the best voice in the world but it really stands out on his cover of The Man Who Sold The World and Where Did You Sleep Last Night. // 8

Overall Impression: This is definetly an album you must own if your a rock fan, this is the of the best for nirvana and really the only album you should need. I probably wouldn't buy this album again 'cause I've already got the other niravan albums but if I didn't own any Nirvana but this CD then I definetly would. There really is no excuse not to own this record. // 9

Nirvana Reviewed by: METSOAD, on june 21, 2006

Sound: If ever a pointer was needed for the carrear of grunge giants Nirvana this was it until the famous box set "With The Lights Out" was released. It conatins all the hits and other famous songs mapping out each the bands different albums by the sound of their singles. From the rawness of Bleach to the global megahits Nevermind and In Utero and the promise shown for the future of "Silver" as well as the song "You Know Your Right". The best musicican in the group was master drummer Dave Ghrol. He is an immensly talented drummer and this fact helped him in his enormous catapult into fame and fortune with Foo Fighters. The Bass player Krist Novoselic has some intresting bass lines but in some songs his riffs are boring and rooty. Kurt Cobain was not a very good guitar player, although some of his riffs are rather impressive. What he did suited the sound of the band perfectly. // 9

Lyrics: Kurt Cobain isn't the best singer ever, his voice once again is moulded to suit the sound of the music perfectly although it is nothing special and for some can be a bit annoying. The true bit of genius in this grunge band comes with the lyrics that are written by Kurt. Songs like In Bloom and Heart Shaped Box helped to shape an entire generation of song writters looking for inspiration and focus. The best songs vocally are Rape Me and Where Did You Sleep Last Night. The best lyrics came from Pennyroyal Tea (in particular the mighty chorus) and Come As You Are. // 10

Overall Impression: You Know Your Right is a demo of a song that was going to be on the album after "Intesticide" and it shows because the shear rawness of the song. The lyrics are very good and the chorus is impressive. About A Girl is the very first Nirvana song ang shows in it's simplicity but that makes this song about dating ever more endering. Been A Son is short and racous, fast, simple, one of those songs that everyone will remember without to much trouble. Sliver is utterly hillarious. The lyrics depeict the young persons opinion of a stay at a Grandparents and the guitaring is suitably simple for the type of song it is. Smells Like Teen Spirit needs no explination at all because everyone has heard it at least three times. Come As You Are is everyones over favourite Nirvana song but the difference between this and SLTS is that this song actually deserves the praise it is given. Simple but great it shows exactly what Nirvana were about in three and three quater minutes. Lithium is one of the more popular songs by the band but for some reason I can't see why. The lyrics are good but guitar and bass parts are quite frankly annoying and the singing on this song is not on par with their greats. In Blooom is complelty great, it is one of those songs that never gets the recongnition it fully desereves. The solo is pretty impressive while the riffs are also quite noteworthy. Heart Shaped Box is a total classic. The solo is catchy yet brilliant, the lyrics are great while the drumming is the star attraction. Dave really does play the holy hell out of his kit at every oppotunity. Pennyroyal Tea is an unknown great as far as I am concerned. The lyrics are very breif and the solo is a gloryfyed riff but it all fits together so much and that chorus one of the greats in modern music. Rape Me is Nirvana's big FU to the civilised world with that opening line and some short but angry riffage. Dumb is nice, sort of innocent sounding song but it really dosen't strike any particular chord with me personally. All Apologies sounds excellent with the acoutic guitaring and very good lyrics. Man Who Sold The World has excellent lyrics, some soft but very good drumming by Dave Ghrol and a rather impressive bass line by Krist. Where Did You Sleep Last Night is a long, angry, interogation of a song with accusing lyrcs, mean sounding guitars and brilliant vocals by Cobain. Overall this is nothing more than a good pointer into one of the most important bands of the modern age, there is nothing unexpected on the album, except for maybe for the songs from "Unplugged". Most people will buy it just for Smells Like Teen Spirit and get into the band from there and the major fans won't buy this but will buy "When The Lights Go Out" for a more detailed look at the bands extraordinarily compact but somehow epic carrear. // 9

Nirvana Reviewed by: Nirvana-Man, on december 20, 2006

Sound: Nirvana's sound has changed over the course of their CD's. Most people think of grunge when they think of Nirvana, but they do have some lower key stuff to. This CD is really attractive to any Nirvana fan because it includes the never before released "You Know Your Right" which is a killer track which should have been a big hit. // 10

Lyrics: I love the way I seem to relate to the music, Cobain always was very good at that. Every song contains music that you'll hear and want to learn instantly, and the chantable choruses you can relate to and will be singing in the shower for weeks! Often I wake up at night with Kurt haunting me, singing the chorus from Sliver, "Grandma take me home! Grandma take me home! Grandma take me home! I wanna be alone!" // 10

Overall Impression: I think the only band that can compare to Nirvana is Alice In Chains, but their gloomy lyrics pale in comparison to Nirvana's catchy hooks. The only thing bad about this album is that the lack of any non-hits. Being a hardcore Nirvana fan, I've listened to every song obsessivly (Note my profile name) and I feel that their were some that should have been included that weren't. Regardless, this album is so worth it, even if you've heard all of the songs before, just because of "You Know Your Right". If you buy this for any reason, that's gonna be it. // 8

Nirvana Reviewed by: Tster, on april 16, 2007

Sound: Nirvana - one of the best bands ever. This is their greatest hits so you know it's going to be amazing. Nirvana is a grungy band with amazing solos and amazing sounds from guitars and vocalists. There are a few 'unplugged' tracks on this but don't let that ruin it for you if you're not into it since Nirvana's sound and feeling they throw out to you will still drag you in. There sound is amazing. An amazing band. // 10

Lyrics: Some of the songs you can't really tell what he's saying but just the tone of his voice with whatever the hell is going on makes you go crazy and throw your head around. Yet when you actually take the time to really figure what he's saying you'll find that Kurt Cobain is one of the greatest song writers of all time. It amazing of what one man can produce. His skills as a singer are good even though there is the odd song where your like "what's he saying," sum it up in one word; awesome. // 9

Overall Impression: Nirvana is one of the greatest bands of all time so when they bring out a greatest hits, it will be amazing like this one is. Every song on the album is so impressive it blows practically every other band away. No one can touch them, they are too good. It keeps the sound of Nirvana and shoves on one disc. I love the feel and sound they give out I hate that Kurt Cobain's gone now and there won't be another Nirvana CD. If it was lost I would search it out and buy it again. It's an amazing band and an awesome CD. // 10

Nirvana Reviewed by: guylikesnirvana, on may 25, 2007

Sound: This album is mainly most of this bands greatest hits. This is of their best albums. It has all remastered songs. If you listen most of the bass riffs in "Smells Like Teen Spirit", and "In Bloom" really stand out. The main story attached is Kurt, Krist, and Dave's last recording together, which was "You Know You're Right". Most of the songs are grunge and there is only one cover song "The Man Who Sold The World" originally by David Bowie. I think most people should buy this because I think Kurt, Dave, and Krist put a lot into it. // 10

Lyrics: Overall lyrics are really well. There is really nothing funny on these lyrics on this album. Compliance of the lyrics are awesome and I wish Kurt was still alive so Nirvana could do another album so I could buy it. Singer skills are awesome because how Kurt holds and prenounces the word 'pain' in the "You Know You're Right," Really Scary man! Some songs like Pennyroyal Tea, About A Girl, and Rape Me, Kurt sounds really cool because it sounds like he's a completely a different Kurt. // 10

Overall Impression: This album really compares to there other albums because I think it is really just a tribute to them but nobody did a tribute (weird). I just love it because the album just sounds good, clean, and really good. I really don't hate it. If you hate it, you're just plain weird. If this CD were lost or stolen from me I would definetly buy this again because it's so cool I can't get enough. Maybe I should buy the whole Nirvana 'With The Lights Out' So I can listen to all the songs and give you all the albums. // 10

More Nirvana reviews rating latest review
+ Amsterdam Love Buzz [Bootleg] 7.5 06/13/2013