Sliver: Best Of The Box Review

nirvana: Sliver: Best Of The Box
Release Date: Nov 1, 2005
Label: Geffen
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge
It offers fans audio highlights from With the Lights Out with the bonus inclusion of three unreleased tracks: "Spank Thru," "Sappy," and a rehearsal recording of "Come As You Are."
 Lyrics: 7.6
 7.1
 6.8
Sliver: Best Of The Box Reviewed by: nineinch9, on november 02, 2005

Sound: RIP Nirvana. Ever since You Know You're Right graced airwaves, the crunch to get more unrealesed Nirvana tracks to the public has been on, and Sliver, sadly is just one step to far. Sliver has 3 new tracks to offer, one of which is even technically Nirvana, and the rest is filler added from last year's With The Lights Out compilation. Simply not enough. This is clearly a sad way of getting people to buy more. Usually I don't want anything to do with anyone's B-Side material but With The Lights Out was a must own, just based on the massive amount of content, but I have too many ways to say that Sliver is basically a waste of time, these tracks should have been put on iTunes or an EP, and Nirvana and its legacy should finally have a chance to rest. // 3

Lyrics: It's Kurt, so call it pure talent or heroin fueled nonsense, put you've heard it already. To here his voice on some of these tracks just adds volumes to the track, in particular solo acoustic peices, but others comes out as just plain out noise. // 5

Overall Impression: I love Nirvana, so don't get me wrong, it is interesting to here some of these takes, but it's been done already. I hate the premise behind this whole CD, as it is just a big hole to throw your money into. If you need your fix a Nirvana, put in With The Lights Out, or better yet, put in Nevermind or In Utero, something Kurt intend for you to hear. // 1

Sliver: Best Of The Box Reviewed by: Let it Happen, on december 02, 2005

Sound: I thought this cd was great. It was extremely grungy. This cd is for the hardened nirvana fan, as newcomers to Nirvana will probably be turned off by some of the noisy recordings. It might also be for the person who doesn't want to spend 30 bucks on the box set, but still wants to get the best from it for half the price. This CD has three previously unreleased tracks, which personally I find fascinating. One in particular, Spank Thru, is especially good. It is from Cobain's former group, Fecal Matter, and is from 1985. A rare gem indeed. This album has many cool treats for the hardcore fan. They include: live version on Led Zeppelin's Heartbreaker, "Opinion" solo acoustic radio appearance, "Lithium" solo acoustic radio appearance, home demo of Teen Spirit and Rape Me, numerous outtakes. The sound is grungy, but is music to the diehard's ears. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were great. They were based on personal experiences and observations. Some of the lyrics are even deep if you stop and think about them. However, I never really have, as I have been to busy listening to this CD! Anyway, the lyrics fit the songs perfectly, and Cobain is a master of the voice. // 10

Overall Impression: This is yet another compilation of some sort or another of rare Nirvana songs. There are some albums like this, such as Outcesticide, Rare Nirvana, and of course With the Lights Out. This album however, throws in alot more variety, (being the best from the box set) whether it be through crazy live renditions of songs, rare home demos, or on the fly acoustic renditions of classics. Also, this compilation spans the entire career of Nirvana, and even goes back before the band technically existed. I was most impressed with the Nevermind Outtake "Old Age" and the 1990 studio demo "Sappy." These songs sound so modern, even though they are 15 years old already. When listening to these songs, (and really anything Nirvana ever did) it is very easy to see how they shaped and created the alternative metal music that we have today. There's really nothing to hate about the album. Sometimes the recording isn't that great on the home demo's, but hey, they're home demo's. Besides, it just adds to rawness of it all. If this cd was lost, I would promptly replace it. If you're a diehard Nirvana fan, go out and treat yourself to Sliver: Best Of The Box. // 9

Sliver: Best Of The Box Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 14, 2005

Sound: After buying this album I thought it came with promise and sufficent intrest. All Nirvana's unreleased work combained into a neat album which would make you proud to have in your CD collection, sadly I was mistaken. This Nirvana album was a money making scheme and full of rubbish tracks such as "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (boom box) really are unlistenable the sound quility really is poor but in respect to geffen they made a good job of trying to re-master the sound. The album provides intrest and an inside look on the raw Nirvana but fails to provide enything you can get your teeth into. // 3

Lyrics: The album lrics are hard to access on such a poor quility of sound on some of the tracks but I give Kurt merit for songs such as Sappy and Sliver as I feel at ease with his strong and powerfull vocals, unfortunatley there is no mix between the instruments or vocals it's either main focus on Kurt's voice with a light insrumental background or focused on the instruments with Cobain's vocals in the midst. I only give credit to "Sappy" as both lyrical and instrumentals are balanced. // 4

Overall Impression: My overall impression on the album is dissapointment and I really do consider myself a true Nirvana fan. I really hated all the crakling and buzz in the background of all the home demo's these were not good enough to be put on any album. "Sappy" was the onli high quality track on the whole album and "Mrs. Butterworth" in my opinion was the only track which made me realise what a great band Nirvana were and really got me tapping my feet. The advice I'll give to evarybody out there is buy In Utero or Nevermind becouse that is the real Kurt Cobain and Nirvana or if you want to hear the raw side of the band buy Bleach becouse it's a fantastic outlook on the grunge kings. I'll end my review by saying geffen made a few bob on ripping me and fellow Nivana fans off so thanks alot. // 4

Sliver: Best Of The Box Reviewed by: guylikesnirvana, on may 24, 2007

Sound: Nirvana does it again by releasing 3 old previously un-realesed tracks. There may or may not be a story attached to this song. All I know about the story is the cover of tapes and Nirvana demos were chosen by Frances Bean Cobain (Kurt's Daughter).Most music styles are grunge and hard rock. Some songs are already recorded and in it's origanl state, no editing, such as "Oh the Guilt". Drummers switch between Dave Ghrol, Chad Channing, and Dale Crover (also Dale is on bass for 'Spank Thru'.) Songs dating back from '85-'93. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really funny if you just listen to them without listening.Kurt described his lyrics as "a pile of condratictions". He also said "I'll write a few sincere lines then I'll turn around and make fun of them all over". Compliance of all lyrics are really amazing because he has such a way with rhyming. If you play some songs backwards they are really creepy. All singer skills (Kurt & Dave) really are fairly well. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is definetly better than some of their other albums even though some of the song recorders are kind-of shaky sometimes you are like "What is he saying?" But anyways, all of the songs are great and should be put on your mp3 player if you have one. If this album were lost/stolen I would definetly buy it again because all of the songs are really great. Maybe I should buy some of the other Nirvana albums because I only have Sliver, Nevermind, and Nirvana. // 10

Sliver: Best Of The Box Reviewed by: Green Sheep, on november 04, 2005

Sound: Well if you have the box-set you know what it sounds the only reason I got this was for Spank Thru and Come As You Are and Sappy. Spank Thru you could tell it was recorded at home. Kurt's vocals sound a little weird at times but you can still tell. Come As You Are sound just like Smells Like Teen Sprit and Drain You from the box-set (because they came from the tape). Sappy sounds like it was recorded live but that's just what I noticed. // 5

Lyrics: It's Kurt, same old songs same old lyrics nothing new here. // 5

Overall Impression: The only reason they release this (from what I hear) is they had to have a rarity album to release the box-set. This is great for people who don't have the box-set because of its price and good for the die-hard because we finally hear something from the Feacal Matter tape. Overall it gets a 5 for it not really necessary to release it but it also helpfull to people who don't have the box-set. // 5

Sliver: Best Of The Box Reviewed by: GrungePb, on february 15, 2006

Sound: This CD isn't getting the best ratings here so I decided to help it out. I love this CD. The sound quality isnt great but hey thats whats so great about this CD, it's Nirvana doing live shows recordered and un-editied proably with a $20 tape recorder in someones basment for a few songs. If your not a hard core Nirvana fan this CD isn't for you! If your interested in how there sound evolved, how songs started and became legends and you dont want to pay the price for the box set then this is your ticket! Also don't rate this CD after the first listen, listen to it 3 times before you judge it, by then you would have heard the value of these songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in these songs differ from there other albums, most of the songs where a work in progress while there were recorded and there still really great. Kurt knows how to sing! // 10

Overall Impression: If you love Nirvana and you one of those people have a few cds by them possible a biograghy on the band and want to hear where these amazing songs started off you will enjoy this. If you sit in your room on an acoustic guitar trying to play Nirvana songs all day but you cant match the sound of the CDs there's a lot of songs with Kurt by himself playing an acoustic guitar and its fun to play along and hear what the 1 guitar part should sound like. // 10

Sliver: Best Of The Box Reviewed by: mental_zer0, on september 20, 2006

Sound: It's almost traditional Nirvana sound, but the rarities add some new flavor. Ain't It A Shame is a nice change from the ordinary, and Blandest is one of the best songs on the album. This album is frequently one of the most looked down upon, but it have some great songs on it, especially the boom-box demo of Come As You Are and the version of Rape Me with his daughter on his lap while recording. Possibly the most important song for any Nirvana fan to hear would be Spank Thru, from the 1985 Fecal Matter Demo tape. This is the song allegedly inspired Krist to form Nirvana with Cobain and Channing. This CD also contains a rare version of You Know Your Right. The CD is great, despite people who say otherwise. // 9

Lyrics: It's early Cobain. It's rougher because he hasn't ruined his voice yet. A sign of damaged vocal cords is actually in Spank Thru, where he coughs a few times, from the initial scream. The singing isn't much different. It sounds better in my opinion because it has a completely raw feeling to it. It hasn't been overmastered and keeps the authenticity. // 9

Overall Impression: The album may take some getting used when you first listen to it. Clean Up Before She Comes grew on me after a while, so it just goes to show you need to listen to it a few times before you get it. Mrs. Butterworth is my second favorite with Spank Thru at the top. Keep an open mind when listening to this CD. It is looked down upon, and it was only released because Courtney Love is selling all of Cobain's remaining rare tracks, but that doesn't make it any less of a great album. Definitely worth a listen and keep it in that stereo for a while. // 9

More Nirvana reviews rating latest review
+ Amsterdam Love Buzz [Bootleg] 7.5 06/13/2013