Unplugged In New York Review

artist: nirvana date: 12/16/2010 category: compact discs
nirvana: Unplugged In New York
Released: Nov 1, 1994
Genre: Rock
Tones: Bleak, Brooding, Angst-Ridden, Weary, Melancholy, Soothing, Earnest, Intimate, Wistful, Intense, Somber, Yearning, Wry
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.7
 9.7
 9.6
Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: Goshdangit88, on june 06, 2005

Sound: Nirvana's preceding albums are basically a compilation of grunge songs put together to form a theme in the albums. This album is on a whole new level. Even without the distortion, Kurt Cobain provides a lot of feeling into his solos and riffs (Come As You Are for example). I do believe there is a story behind this album, whether or not Kurt wanted a story I'm not sure but there is one. // 10

Lyrics: Ok so the first few songs are from each album in order (Bleach, Nevermind, In Utero). I think each track represents a stage in his life. Opening up with "About A Girl" shows how when you are young, all that matters is love. Then as he grows up more he faces real life problems such as his stomach pains, self hatred, heroin addiction, etc. As the album starts to end it shows his suicidal thoughts. Lake Of Fire is about hell, All Apologies is his way of saying sorry, and Where Did You Sleep Last Night shows his his suspicion of his loved ones (Courtney Love in particular). You should also note the flowers and candles on stage when they played (sort of like a funeral) and it was their last concert in the US. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definately a great live performance by Nirvana. In between the songs, Kurt will say some stuff to make you laugh. I personally think the last song, Where Did You Sleep Last Night?, and Come As You Are stand out the most. I love how he can rip out his emotions so powerfully on an acoustic guitar. It shows he can play good without having distortion cover his mistakes. I downloaded this album and once I have enough money to spare, I will definately buy it. Great album. // 10

Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: MetaltilIm60, on january 30, 2006

Sound: Everyone always talks about how sloppy Nirvana where and the only reson they where popular was because of their insane stage antics. Enter Unplugged in NY. If their critics where right than this show should have been a disaster. Kurt on an acoustic? Not feedback, or running around onstage? They where proven wrong. Kurt as well as the rest of the band put on what is possible the best unplugged performance MTV has ever had. While his playig wasn't exactly note perfect, the effect was nevertheless amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are standard Nirvana along with a handfull of Meat Puppets and Leadbelly covers. This type of concert realy served to bring out the flaws in Kurt's voice. Oh and by the way Nirvana perfectly covered David Bowie's hit "The Man Who Sold The World." Surprisingly the vocal style seemed to fit the acoustic instruments without Kurt having a fish out of water type sound. // 9

Overall Impression: If this record where lost or stolen I would definately buy another. The way the songs where recorded it sounds like Kurt is singing to you. You feel like part of the audience. Overall a very intimate sounding record that is a must for fans and might even convert a few new ones. // 10

Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: Cobain_Is_King, on april 25, 2005

Sound: Ok, I'll start off by saying this is a great album and has many different sounds. Nirvana were a different kind of band, and when 'Unplugged In New York' first aired everyone was excited because it was so different from the other Nirvana albums. Kurt Cobain seemed so relaxed and it was good to hear everything on acoustic guitar. Kurt on guitar/vocals - well he's not Jimi Hendrix but Kurt didn't play great solos, he played from his heart, and the way he plays sounds great, makes simple things sound good. His singing is ok, but tries to go a little too high on 'About A Girl' and 'Plateau', still sounds good though. Krist on bass/accordian - Krist is great on bass as always, compliments Kurt well, Not much else to say really. Krist also played the accordian on tracks like 'Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam' and sounds great on that too. Dave Grohl on drums/vocals - Dave is a good drummer but he is more suited to fast, loud drumming, and that is not what you hear on this album. He also adds vocals to songs like 'Dumb' and makes it sound good as usual. Guest starts included Chris and Curt Kirkwood from the 'Meat Puppets'playing guitar on 'Plateau', 'Lake Of Fire' and 'Oh Me'. Also Lori Goldston on Cello, It sounds great, also kinda emotional, especially on 'Dumb' and 'Something On The Way'. I give sound an overall 5 because it sounds so good on acoustic, and everyone rally made an effort to put on a good show. // 10

Lyrics: Kurt Cobain had his way with lyrics, and I was impressed with his lyrics on Unplugged. Kurt sounded so emotional on every track, and I was most impressed with his version of Leadbelly's 'Where Did You Sleep Last Night', that song is nearly enough to make someone cry, and what better way to end the night than with that song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is completely different from any of Nirvana's previous albums, and the fact it is on acoustic makes it all sound better. The best songs on the album in my opinion are 'Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam', 'Lake Of Fire', 'Something In The Way', 'The Man Who Sold The World' and 'Where Did You Sleep Last Night.' I love this album for loads of reasons including the fact it has a cello and an accordian, which makes everything sound unique. If I lost this album I would definately go out and buy another copy straight away as it is probably one of my favourite albums ever. // 10

Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: Teen Spirit, on june 29, 2007

Sound: Well, I might start this off by stating clearly for once and for all that this album is fantastic. This is an album featuring some cover songs, many of Nirvana's popular songs translated into an acoustic version. Here are the songs and a little about them. 01. About A Girl - this is an acoustically modified version of the song in Nirvana's first ever album, Bleach. This sounds great, though it is possible to say Kurt brought his voice a maybe a bit too high in some parts of the song. But this is still great; a classic. 02. Come As You Are - you guessed it. This is the hit from Nevermind, only played acoustic. Both are great, because both have more pro's than con's. But this still is a fantastic song, everything from the dark guitar background verse riff to the light pre-chorus, and the chorus itself. 03. Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam - Krist played the accordian on this one, and Kurt played his acoustic part. Both played fantastic. The way Kurt's vocals sound bittersweet in many of these songs is what makes him the man I consider the last real rockstar. 04. The Man Who Sold The World - the beautiful acoustic riffs and melodies in this just make this song so unstoppable, you just have that urge to keep on listening to it, to not let it stop. 05. Pennyroyal Tea - this song also won itself a place in the famous Nirvana Greatest Hits album, and it definitely deserves that place. The lyrics might strike you first as "wierd", but the smooth, soothing song itself is just fantastic. 06. Dumb - the guest stars Chris and Curt Kirkwood of the Meat Puppets play guitar in this song as well, and the way the guitars collide in a well-organized way makes this song even better. The lyrics are great. 07. Polly - if I am not mistaken, this is the third album in which some form of this song exists. First the raw, original yet somewhat amateur version of it in Bleach, then a more raw, more live, faster and deeper version of it in Incesticide, and finally one last final acoustic version of it performed Unplugged In New York. A great song, I love the way every verse starts off with something about "Polly". 08. On A Plain - this is one of my favorites in this album, probably because I love the original Nevermind version of it so much. The song played acoustic sounds so familiar, yet so different. The bridge that repeats itself over and over, the "Love myself, better than you! I know it's wrong, so what should I do." makes me think of Kurt Cobain reflecting upon his own life, his self-hatred of the negative things about him. 09. Something In The Way - another Nevermind track. This song features the celloist Lori Goldston. I love the way Kurt sings this song so emotionally. The lyrics may sound a little bit funny at first, but they do not sound funny when you imagine Kurt Cobain suffering as one of those homeless people. You can hear similar topics sung in "Help Me I'm Hungry", only in a more violent and crude way. This song is fantastic. I love it. 10. Plateau - this is a Meat Puppets cover song, and I love the guitar riffs in this. The way Kurt strains his vocals in the second chorus is fantastic. The lyrics are somewhat "random", (Nothing on the top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds) but the music, especially the outro solo, is just amazing. 11. Oh Me - this song also features the other guitarists, and is another song that makes you feel that Kurt was somewhat emotional when singing the song. Try listening to the lyrics carefully. 12. Lake Of Fire - this song is another great Meat Puppets cover, and I love the guitar riffs in it. The lyrics are great too, but it makes me feel sad listening to Kurt sing about where people go when they die. Nevertheless, I love this song. 13. All Apologies - the lyrics may seem strange, but the song itself is great to listen to, especially the chorus. This song also earned itself a well-deserved place in the Best Of album. 14. Where Did You Sleep Last Night - this song is fantastic. What else is there to say about it? This song is great. The guitar strumming in the chorus, the softer riffs in the verse, the ending part, where the lyrics are screamed, where Kurt lets the guitar ring, and his vocals strain on and build a suspense; then the way it just picks up and carries on after the seconds of silence. This song is just great. If you listen to this very carefully, maybe there is a message from Kurt Cobain that he wanted all of us to understand. The selection of the songs, the way they are placed in a certain album order but also in a story pattern; and the way he just comes back to the entertaining figure of the wonderful Kurt Cobain that we all love and respect. R.I.P. Kurt Cobain. // 10

Lyrics: I was deeply impressed with the lyrics in the songs, and even though they were either songs from previous albums or cover songs, the song selection itself seems to mean something. The way the songs are chosen and the lyrics in them all are just great. // 10

Overall Impression: Many artists have produced unplugged albums and live albums over the years, but there are hardly any that can beat this one. In my opinion, this is the best live acoustic performance ever. It has everything. The songs, the quality, the stage arragement, the people themselves, the bands, the special guests, the talking in between the songs, the finale and the music itself. // 10

Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 28, 2003

Overall Impression: To most parents nirvana would just be noise but my mum and dad love every minute of this. Hear the classics "About a girl" and "Come as you are" as well as some covers like "The man who sold the world", "Where did you sleep last night" and "Jesus doesn't want me for a sunbeam". During the album special guests the meat puppets join them on stage and play some really good riffs in the songs. My own fave on this album has to be "Where did you sleep last night". The hammering of the the acoustic and the spine tingling singing from Cobain makes it a must buy for any Nirvana fan. // 10

Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 30, 2003

Sound: This album basically sounds really good but it's not perfect. After every other Nirvnaa being all rage and distortion its refreshing to hear they in a more relaxed and more emotional setting. Kurt seems to have made more of an effort to make is guitar work a bit more sophisticated, Krist is excellent on bass and Dave is brilliant, if a bit under utilized on the drums. I had always thought that the only real problem with Nirvana's sound was its depth so the addition of Pat Smear on guitar and a cello adds a lot the feel of the music. Overall very good and a definate improvment. // 10

Lyrics: Since there are no new songs on the album its hard to comment on the lyrics themselves, more on their excellent delivery. As I have always maintained, it is more important to convey emotion in vocals than to hit every note right on the head and Kurt certainly does this. Songs like 'Lake of Fire' and 'All Apologies' blow you away with raw emotion and even though the lake of powerful music makes Kurt's voice sound a little hollow and raw at times, this is easily overlooked as the raw feeling of the music takes you. Impressive vocal effort. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far my favourite Nirvana album, purely for its raw emotion and tone of music. Listening to the whole thing gives you a feel for what the band, especially Kurt was going through at the time, even though there is a bit of happy banter between songs. I think this is an album to get for sure as, in reality is gives you a better picture of the true Nirvana than any of the studio albums will. // 10

Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on august 13, 2004

Sound: Kurt Cobain inspired me to play the guitar after listening to this cd. The acoustic guitar sounds great with every strum and pick. Cobain had a way with the guitar as every song flowed with poetry. Dave Grohl was great on the drums as usual. Novoselic sounds great on the bass. I liked when he played the accordian to Jesus Don't Want Me For a Sun Beam. Very Nice Touch. Also additional cellists and violinists for some of the songs like All Apologies brought a more haunting presence. // 10

Lyrics: Kurt Cobain had a way with lyrics. All of his songs were hits to even the hardcore Nirvana fan. His topics ranged from problems in his life to even Counrteney Love. His lyrics were like poetry in motion.Cobain's voice left an imprint on every song with his memmory. He really was a great musician. Listen to the record at night or on the road at night it works very well. // 10

Overall Impression: Unplugged In New York is their best live albulm. Listening to it at night really gets me in the mood. It's also great to hear Cobain's voice. It's a shame that we would never see how much of an impact Nirvana would have on our musical culture. If you love Kurt Cobain or Nirvana, Buy this record. You won't regret it. Kurt Cobain may you rest in peace. // 10

Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: skatersic666, on september 13, 2004

Sound: The sound on Unplugged In Newyork is amazing, from the from the melodic riffs of Dumb and All Apologies to the country and blues riffs in Plateau, Oh Me, Lake Of Fire and Where Did You Sleep Last Night this CD has a good viratity of sound. Kurt is a guitarist with passion and it shows. The addition of another guitarist (Pat Smear) really give some songs depth, Dave is superb on drums and Krist is exelent on bass. The passion of Nirvana songs on an acoustic set shows what Kurt could really do. Just to think that Kurt was (rhoumered) going to leave Nirvana and move away and go acoustical and solo, that would of been a great move and would of showed his talents. // 10

Lyrics: All the lyrics in each song are sung with passion and commitment. These are Nirvana lyrics so they are of detailed, poetic, musical bueatey. Even the cover songs are sung really well. Very moving. The last song, ledbelly cover 'Where Did You Sleep Last Night' is sung with total commitment and Kurt sings it from the bottom of his heart, the way he sung that song really moved me and looked at Kurt in a different light. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is an amazing buy if you like Nirvana. It defenetly was a good move for Kurt to go Unplugged and perform this because its a masterpiece. The best songs have to be 'Where Did You Sleep Last Night', all the meat puppet covers ('Plateau', 'Oh Me', 'Lake Of Fire'), 'Pennyroyal Tea' which he does on his own) and 'All Apologies'. This has ernt a place on My cd rack for life. Go out and but it now and if you don't then rent it out and try it out. You won't be dissapointed. // 10

Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: Eloy montes, on april 20, 2005

Sound: Hello, I am Eloy Montes and my over all impresion of Nirvana was just amazing that during the '80s and '90s and even in the new milenium Nirvana has made its mark. Cobain and Nirvana are what we could call the masters of alternative and grunge rock as we know it! His unique style of guitar playing has made its mark. He always used flanger and delay for most of his songs. I play a guitar same as him and will start my own band in june and I have to look for good unplugged artists to do that. Nirvana is no ecception. // 8

Lyrics: You can think the lyrics are dumb & I agree but if you realize what they mean you'll know that it is something in everyday lifestyle even if you like rap (rap sucks monkeys). The lyrics go along with the music very well. Cobain and Grohl are very good singers and it is just a shame that Kurt died, I saw the perfomance live. // 8

Overall Impression: Yes if you compare this or any other Nirvana with 2Pac, or as I say too fag, you will see that this kicks ass. The most impressive songs are: Polly, On A Plain, Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam and Come As You Are, allthough most of them are very good too. I have it on my iPod as well as on my CD and I say if I lost it (the I pod and the CD, both) I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: fender_mustang7, on november 29, 2005

Sound: The whole CD amazed me. From About A Girl, "This is off our first record, most people dont know it" to Where Did You Sleep Last Night, a Leadbelly cover. Being the first Nirvana CD I had ever heard, I didn't have much of a clue of who they were. Since I heard this CD, I became attached to the whole Nirvana "thing," and everytime I hear a Nirvana song on the radio, I know Kurt Cobain had changed the world of music forever. // 10

Lyrics: I was blown away by everything. Pennyoroyal Tea quickly became a favorite, but Something in the Way struck something inside of me. The Martin acoustic guitar Kurt used sounded amazing. The way he belted out "night through..." on the last note in Where Did You Sleep Last Night was amazing. I thought that the covers of The Man Who Sold the World, Plateau, Lake of Fire, Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam were awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: Nothing can compare to the way Nirvana made music. The band shaped the way bands and groups are today, and thats something to look up to. The most impressive song, I thought, was Pennyroyal Tea and On A Plain. I love everything about the CD, there's nothing to hate. If it was stolen, of course I would buy another, without a doubt. Thanks Nirvana! // 10

Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: Boe, on march 05, 2007

Sound: The sound is so powerful, I thought the originals off the albums were strong, but these were just power house.Alot of people would be turned off by the whole acoustic aproach, but for those who are dedicated, this album is amazing. The feels range from almost jazzlike to blues licks, and to the hard rock we all know and love. The little interludes between songs contain jokes and wise cracks from Kurt, and some really inspired playing. Some people assume that "unplugged" means selling out, but every body should consider this album as a contender in every way, except for usless noise. Kurt Cobain was on heroin when the album was made, but I dosnt show. For begginers, I suggest "Man Who Sold The World", "Come As You Are", "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" and "Something in the way". I lowered the rating from 10 because not everyone will like this, but for me, it's an 11. // 8

Lyrics: Naturally, the lyrics are awesome, even though Kurt didn't write them all. Actuall, the album is mostly covers. The lyrics seemingly mold and embrace the music, strengting each other. You just can't sepperate the two. Kurt's voice is earth shattering. He alternates from the powerful and emotional "Pennyroyal Tea" to the dream like and wise "Plateau". Some people bash Kurt for his voice, but it is almost perfect on this. He controls his "cracks" better than on "In Utero", butlets a few trough, most noticably on "Pennyroyal Tea". But it only adds to the power, not destroys. // 10

Overall Impression: It is as powerful as "Nevermind", but not as listener friendly. It is more so than "In Utero", "Incesticide", and "Bleach". So I will say that the album is probally better than "Nevermind", but dosnt have the timeless appeal. So, just because it dosnt have "Smells like Teen Spirit", dosnt make it a bad choice. Though, it is very deep at moments. // 9

Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: Nirvanafan60, on december 16, 2010

Sound: This is yet another album showcasing the talent of Nirvana not only playing live but with out all the special effects distortion stuff. I love how Kurt did Penny royal tea on his own which gains a lot of respect from his fan's. This is almost like a tribute as it was very close to the time of Kurt's death and it is a really great album its another reminder of all the talent and potential Nirvana had. The usual Heavy-pop/Punk/Rock/Dirge style of music is played. I would like to say this I am a Nirvana/Kurt Cobain enthusiast but this really a great album and the second influential (Second to Nevermind) in my opinion. Overall this is another great classic Nirvana album worth the money for it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't changed at all and are always based on life experiences..mostly. I have always and will always rate Kurt Cobain has one of the greatest vocalists of his style of music. He is an amazing singer with amazing songwriting abilities. Thing that is awesome is that he can listen to piece music interpret and then modify to his own likings not a skill most people can do. // 10

Overall Impression: This a one of kind album Nirvana never did anything like it because it was a one off deal. The most impressive song for Kurt as an individual is penny royal tea as he does it on his own in a different tuning but as a band I would have to say lake of fire or all apologies. I love this album for its uniqueness and its great showcasing of the band's talent. The only thing I hate is that I lost it and haven't managed to find it.. ANYWHERE!!!. Seeing i have lost it yea I would buy it back and I am trying to but oh no we aren't going to sell a great album are we no because we are the warehouse where everyone gets a rip off... sorry got a bit angry. Overall this a fantastic album BUY IT! // 9

More Nirvana reviews rating latest review
+ Amsterdam Love Buzz [Bootleg] 7.5 06/13/2013