With The Lights Out Review

nirvana: With The Lights Out
Released: Nov 23, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge
With the Lights Out remains true to the ethos that defined the band and the alt-rock revolution that rose and fell with them.
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.5
 9.7
 9.3
With The Lights Out Reviewed by: LedZepplin64, on february 04, 2005

Sound: Kurt Cobain is just awesome I thought the CD was the best thing since wrestling. They have unique sounds, and are the masters of power chords. I would give It a 5 with just listening to a couple songs. It has so many previously unreleased songs, and recordings its amazing! // 10

Lyrics: Nirvana gives us lyrics, but what the hell do they mean? If you actually listen to the songs, it's usually funny, or about a girl or something. I personally was amazed about how awesome Love Buzz, Big Cheese, Gallons Of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Thru The Strip, and Drain You were. They are a combination of kickass riffs with nice solos and lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: I loved it. Nirvana was one of my favorite bands, and now definitely the most favorite. If I lost it, or broke it. I would buy 3 more, one in case I broke my spare, and another in case I break the spares spare. It that's awesome. // 10

With The Lights Out Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2005

Sound: The sound quality gets progressively better as the album continues, but pretty much reaches a good enough level of listenability after about 1987, which is about 4 songs in. The incomplete nature of the songs would not appeal to those who prefer Nirvana's more polished later works, perhaps, but Kurt's solo efforts are particularly fascinating. There are brilliant moments of inspiration on here, like the short solo acoustic track Beans. Most of my favourite songs so far are on the first disc, If You Must and Blandest being particularly outstanding. // 10

Lyrics: Kurt's lyrics, voice and singing are analysed more than almost any other artist has ever been subjected to. I like that this set doesn't make a huge deal of his more famous quotes (despite one of them being part of the title of the thing), instead they let his inventiveness and imagination come across very simply, yet in many different ways. Some are funny, ironic, unsettling, all sorts of things. This box set gives as much of an impression of his true nature as you could wish for. // 10

Overall Impression: Other than having just a couple too many cover versions on here, especially the three Huddie Ledbetters in a row, and unnecessarily putting both versions of Rape Me right next to each other, the structure of the thing is amazing. I still haven't really taken in much of the third disc yet since I got it on Christmas day, and I've listened to it every day practically. There is just such a wealth of interest and musical brilliance on display here. Disc one is the most invaluable in terms of content, Kurt appears at his most unaltered and human before his rise to excessive fame (though not unmerited by his talents). The order of songs may seem a little slapdash but this is an exceptional effort. // 10

With The Lights Out Reviewed by: METSOAD, on june 19, 2006

Sound: If ever a pointer was needed for the carrear of grunge giants Nirvana this was it until the famous box set "With The Lights Out" was released. It conatins all the hits and other famous songs mapping out each the bands different albums by the sound of their singles. From the rawness of Bleach to the global megahits Nevermind and In Utero and the promise shown for the future of "Silver" as well as the song "You Know Your Right". The best musicican in the group was master drummer Dave Ghrol. He is an immensly talented drummer and this fact helped him in his enormous catapult into fame and fortune with Foo Fighters. The Bass player Krist Novoselic has some intresting bass lines but in some songs his riffs are boring and rooty. Kurt Cobain was not a very good guitar player, although some of his riffs are rather impressive. What he did suited the sound of the band perfectly. // 9

Lyrics: Kurt Cobain isn't the best singer ever, his voice once again is moulded to suit the sound of the music perfectly although it is nothing special and for some can be a bit annoying. The true bit of genius in this grunge band comes with the lyrics that are written by Kurt. Songs like In Bloom and Heart Shaped Box helped to shape an entire generation of song writters looking for inspiration and focus. The best songs vocally are Rape Me and Where Did You Sleep Last Night. The best lyrics came from Pennyroyal Tea (in particular the mighty chorus) and Come As You Are. // 10

Overall Impression: You Know Your Right is a demo of a song that was going to be on the album after "Intesticide" and it shows because the shear rawness of the song. The lyrics are very good and the chorus is impressive. About A Girl is the very first Nirvana song ang shows in it's simplicity but that makes this song about dating ever more endering. Been A Son is short and racous, fast, simple, one of those songs that everyone will remember without to much trouble. Sliver is utterly hillarious. The lyrics depeict the young persons opinion of a stay at a Grandparents and the guitaring is suitably simple for the type of song it is. Smells Like Teen Spirit needs no explination at all because everyone has heard it at least three times. Come As You Are is everyones over favourite Nirvana song but the difference between this and SLTS is that this song actually deserves the praise it is given. Simple but great it shows exactly what Nirvana were about in three and three quater minutes. Lithium is one of the more popular songs by the band but for some reason I can't see why. The lyrics are good but guitar and bass parts are quite frankly annoying and the singing on this song is not on par with their greats. In Blooom is complelty great, it is one of those songs that never gets the recongnition it fully desereves. The solo is pretty impressive while the riffs are also quite noteworthy. Heart Shaped Box is a total classic. The solo is catchy yet brilliant, the lyrics are great while the drumming is the star attraction. Dave really does play the holy hell out of his kit at every oppotunity. Pennyroyal Tea is an unknown great as far as I am concerned. The lyrics are very breif and the solo is a gloryfyed riff but it all fits together so much and that chorus one of the greats in modern music. Rape Me is Nirvana's big FU to the civilised world with that opening line and some short but angry riffage. Dumb is nice, sort of innocent sounding song but it really dosen't strike any particular chord with me personally. All Apologies sounds excellent with the acoutic guitaring and very good lyrics. Man Who Sold The World has excellent lyrics, some soft but very good drumming by Dave Ghrol and a rather impressive bass line by Krist. Where Did You Sleep Last Night is a long, angry, interogation of a song with accusing lyrcs, mean sounding guitars and brilliant vocals by Cobain. Overall this is nothing more than a good pointer into one of the most important bands of the modern age, there is nothing unexpected on the album, except for maybe for the songs from "Unplugged". Most people will buy it just for Smells Like Teen Spirit and get into the band from there and the major fans won't buy this but will buy "When The Lights Go Out" for a more detailed look at the bands extraordinarily compact but somehow epic carrear. // 9

With The Lights Out Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2004

Sound: So yes it is finally here the boxset we've all been waiting for. The anticipation is finally over, but aren't they all demos and personal recordings so they should sound crappy. Not at all, pretty much all the songs are easy to listen to, with some exceptions (Heartbreaker etc.) But it doesn't matter at all because you can still hear the music that they made and the feeling it gives you. I really don't have any problem with the sound and I think it's great they could even get all the songs in the first place. Oh yeah I love the crying in the beginning of Rape Me it's so awesome. Even though the sound in Krists house isn't that good it's still awesome to see them. // 10

Lyrics: What else can I possibly say about Generation X's poet. We all know his unbelievable ability to blend words with other words to form ideas and meanings relating to us all. This boxset is no exception. Do Re Mi is an unbelievable song that can really make you depressed in a good way though. It makes you want to listen to it over and over again. Of course all the words in this album just make you feel Kurts pain especially the solo acoustic songs. I also really like how alot of the songs have different lyrics than normal so you can see the songs growth. // 10

Overall Impression: Was this boxset worth all these years of waiting, of course I think. It may not be entirely polished but it doesn't matter because the things Kurt is feeling seems to come out of the music and DVD. When watching the DVD and seeing them in Krists moms house and Kurt seems to be ignoring everyone in the room and just staring at the wall, it is so intenese. He never seems focused on whats going on around him and he's always staring into the abyss. Nirvana is the only band that can make you cry with one song and make you wickedly pissed off on another. I listen straight though every song on these cd's and if I ever lost the boxset I would buy two more, one to listen to, and one to listen to if I lost the other one again. // 10

With The Lights Out Reviewed by: hendrix___young, on november 26, 2004

Sound: Nirvana has always been my 1st or 2nd favorite band. Their sound is addictive. At first you might not like it, but after listening to it 3 or 4 times, you're hooked. The sound of the band isn't only the guitar, it's also the bass and the drums. Krist Novoselic is extremely talented and created catchy hooks. Mixed with Kurt Cobain's voice and Dave Grohl's beating of the drums, you have one thing. Real rock and roll. // 10

Lyrics: Some of Nirvana's lyrics aren't exactly the deepest, Nirvana wasn't all about that. Kurt Cobain intentionally wanted to sound dorky. In the song Sliver, "Granda take me home" is repeated 8 or so times. But then there are the other lyrics. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a really deep song in my opinion. Though it may not seem like everything makes sense, it all comes together. Heart Shaped Box is another really heavy song. The version in this set is different. It's a demo and has different lyrics, such as "I've been trapped in your heart shaped box" and at one point Cobain says "heart shaped coffin". I think Kurt Cobain has amazing skills. He can sing at a usual tone, but make his voice scream/sing when he wants to. He music also goes very well with the lyrics. This is a definite 5/5. // 10

Overall Impression: Nirvana is one of the most influential bands of our time. Probably one of the last real great rock bands, and this prove it. They do a couple Led Zeppelin covers, though not every song if that great. There were a few really good songs on it that I had never hear before like Blandest And Sappy, but then there were a few I did not like. Grey Goose was basically the same guitar tab over and over again. I eventually got sick of it and had to change it. The DVD though, is really good. I kind of was hoping they would show more of them as themselves though, rather then just music. I mean, I know it's all about music, but there was only like 3 or 4 minutes of them being them. But those are probably the only real negative things about them. The end of the DVD is real sad though. So if you're sensitive, be ready to be grabbing the tissues, like I did. If I had ever lost or something happened to this set, I would definetly buy it again. I had been waiting 53 days for this to come out. I couldn't compare this to anything else really. Maybe a bit of Soundgarden.. I don't know. Nirvana is unique and can't be compared. Overall, I would recommend this to any real Nirvana fan. If you're part of the fad of 14 year old girls and boys loving Kurt Cobain but having no idea who Krist Novoselic is, don't waste your money. // 10

With The Lights Out Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 26, 2004

Sound: When I got With The Lights Out, I was a little bummed that it didn't have mostly released songs and stuff from their 3 main albums. But it's so much f--cking better this way! The sound is phenominal and I couldn't ask for more. The cool thing is that the 3 cds kinda go along with "Bleach," "Nevermind" and "In Utero" (i.e. the style and sound). There is an amazing collection or B-sides, outtakes, demos, live songs and rarities. A must for all Nirvana fans! // 10

Lyrics: I can't even begin to wonder how Kurt Cobain wrote 100s of songs. His lyrics are so f--cking great and beyonds words that I can't even being to explain. Some good tracks to notice are "Even In His Youth," "Opinion," "Verse Chorus Verse," "Old Age," "Oh The Guilt," "Gallons Of Rubbing Alcohol Flowing Through The Strip," "Do Re Mi," "Sappy," and of course all the other great songs such as "Lithium," "Been A Son," "Sliver," "Polly," "Heart Shaped Box," etc. Oh, and Kurt has such a great voice on every song. // 10

Overall Impression: The drumming and bass and lyrics are phenominal. But I think the guitar is f--cking astonishing. Kurt Cobain had so many amazing riffs! Hes a genious! It also comes with a DVD of all unrealsed material, including the sub pop version of "In Bloom". The audio and video qualities are all exceptionlly great! Also includes a really cool full color booklet with rare pics and info about the band! // 10

With The Lights Out Reviewed by: mkenney, on november 29, 2004

Sound: Nirvana is the most melodic rockband in the history of music. This box-set is no exception. Even when they're completely improvising a song ("The Other Improve" Or "Scentless Apprentice 1992 Rehersal"), It sounds extremely melodic. And many songs that sounded horrible on bootlegs ("Verse Chorus Verse" and "Old Age") now have full studio versions. Even many of the demo versions of songs have been restored to sound great. // 10

Lyrics: Cobain's skills to write music are still unmatched. Look at the unreleased gem "Do Re Mi". Many of the songs on the CD's have alternate lyrics. "All Apologies" has alternate lyrics that in my opinion sound better than those on In Utero. "Very Ape" has a completely new verse that sounds great. "Marigold" (written by Grohl) has very simple lyrics, But they fit. "Scentless Apprentice" had no lyrics because it was in a fetal stage. It only had wails and howls (Remember it was recorded in 1992 - 2 years before In Utero). The howls on "Blandest" are sure to send chills down you're spine. You even get a couple cover songs by The Vaselines, Ledbelly and Led Zeppelin. // 10

Overall Impression: It has everything a good box-set should have. Rarities, b-sides, acoustic performances, demos, and radio sessions. It also comes with a 60 page full-color booklet with unreleased pictures and commentary by Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth. It also comes with a DVD with songs played at Krist's house, And many live performences. Even if you don't know much about Nirvana this is a great gift for the alternative music lover. It's 59.98$ and that is almost a steal. "Do Re Mi" is reason enough to buy this. You get that and 80 more songs. It's worth every penny! // 10

With The Lights Out Reviewed by: The_Roth_KungFu, on november 30, 2004

Sound: Holy s--t. That's what I thought to myself when I saw the number of songs in the set, 80 songs, all unrealeased demos, acoustic, and radio performances. When I bought it, I thought that the sound wouldn't be too great, cuz they were really old, but it sounded awesome, kudos to the editing tech who revived the tapes. These songs, you probably won't find on the internet, so if you wanna listen to them, you gotta buy the box-set. // 10

Lyrics: It's nirvana, you know what to expect. // 10

Overall Impression: When I saw the price, I was a little worried, 60 bucks, I could've chosen to buy 5-6 really good Bad Religion, Anti-flag, Ac/Dc, Black Sabbath, Green Day cds, but in the end, I decided to buy the box-set. I wasn't disappointed, not only did it have 3 cds, it also had a dvd, with some of Nirvana's first performances, and rehearsals. The unrealeased songs were just way to incredible, it was the best 60 bucks I ever spent. If someone stole this, I would buy a Britney Spears cd, hunt down the guy, beat the crap out of him with the cd, then make him listen to it, and then take his money and buy myself another box-set. It's that good. // 10

With The Lights Out Reviewed by: moeburn, on january 03, 2005

Sound: It's grunge, it's about as much grunge as you're ever going to get. Die-hard fans of Nirvana will easily love this CD, but those new to the grunge style may be turned off by some of the songs' raw noise. The band provokes wild and harsh emotions in previously-unreleased recordings of "Endless Nameless" and "Scentless Apprentice", then capture you with catchy riffs and rhythms found in "Old Age" and an earlier, different "Verse Chorus Verse". They finally leave you with a mellow, displaced feeling in "If You Must" and "Do Re Mi". // 10

Lyrics: Nirvana is easy to quote, Kurt's lyrics will often leave you repeating what he said, provided you can understand it. You may even find hints to his suicide, such as "I Will Never Die Again" (You Know You're Right). // 10

Overall Impression: Its a nice trip for those of us who needed a little more Nirvana, but with eighty songs and only a few making it to my "Best Of" list, the compilation had more of a "Spray And Pray" effect on me. However, for those of you thinking of simply downloading the hit songs, don't forget that this album comes with a thick garfield-book-sized inset and a DVD full of amazing videos of the band playing and lounging. // 8

With The Lights Out Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2005

Sound: People would think that the demo's and solo acoustics would sound bad, but heck, if anyone thinks this and hasn't got the box set should reconsider, the band is excelent at live demos and Kurt's solo acoustics are exceptional and really prove his abilitys as a singer and guitarist. Personnaly I think the best demo I've heard (so far) is Smells Like Teen Spirit, it proves that the band sounds great even when recorded into a cheap tape recorder and that the studio they use doesn't enhance their playing alot when compared to the song on Nevermind. Like so many pop stars are doing today who all sound crap live. Oops went off the subject there for a bit sorry. All of the demo's, acoustics and some live versions on disc 1 all sound great, unfortunately on the DVD the sound isn't that great because the were filmed using camcorders that just coudn't take it, still some great footage and the In Bloom video's great, with some strange shots of Kurt with a clear mask on. So after saying all that what I mean to say is. I'm not sure because words cannot describe the incredible sound. I would give it 6/5 but it only goes to 5. // 10

Lyrics: With every song, the lyrics fit the Guitar, Bass and Drums to form absolute gems all packed into a little disc or four, but now to focus on what the lyrics mean. I think Kurt's voice is tremendous being able to switch from a soft verse to kick ass screaming chorus like on 'Gallons Of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip' (which I am listening to right now). That's right I've been listening to the box set while writing this but it helps. So in other words, lyrics also unbelievable! // 10

Overall Impression: Great presentation (I'm talking about the box it came in) I love the heat reactant stuff on the back I think it's really cool. Great picture on the front of the box. Great little booklet inside. Cool pictures on the disc. Too big for a CD rack but who cares about that? Great songs, lyrics, vocals, great guitaring, bassing, drumming etc. An absolute must have collecters item for a Nirvana fan. If I lost it or it was stolen I'd have a small breakdown, then buy another. // 10

With The Lights Out Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 05, 2005

Sound: Nirvana have a completely unique sound to any other band. It's a wild mixture of grunge, indie, alternative, post-punk, hard rock and pop-rock. Cobain was a master of making alot out of a little. With the help of a few power chords he could do more than some bands with whining solos and 6 instruments. On your first listen, some of the sings might make you frown but I can guarentee that if you listen to it just a few more times, you'll see something special in every song. You really have to experience the sound to fully appreciate it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics always seem to fit in with the music, I think that's why it sounds so good. Although sometimes hard to understand, the lyrics always seem to have some hidden meaning or just a dorky strangeness. Alot of people called them wierd but it's kinda like modern art. It doesn't have to fit together, just has to sound good and different. Kurt also has a really good voice. It matches the music's style and he can really scream if he wants. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, it's the best release of 2004. It's definitely better than alot of albums released in the last couple of years. The music never seems to wear out, it has a timelessness to it, like great art (sorry about all the comparisons to art). Some of their most impressive songs are 'Aneurysm', 'Drain you', 'Breed', 'Sappy' and 'Heart-Shaped Box'. There are alot of acoustic versions of their hits as well as demos and radio appearances. Their cover of 'Heartbreaker' shows the bands contrast to many others perfectly, with Kurt's grungy distorted playing and wailing lyrics. All-in-all, this album is definitely worth the cash. // 10

With The Lights Out Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2005

Sound: The sound is good but could of have been better. On some songs it's understandable that most of them were home demos and live but like on "Opinion" how the quality got crapy for awhile could they of fix that? Overall the sound quality is good. // 10

Lyrics: Kurt Cobian is likely to be one of the last great songwriter (he's up there with Lennon/McCartney etc) he put his heart and soul in his songs. Which is missing in todays music)He was at a level of songwriteing that no one today can get too. We also here "Marigold" by Dave Grohl and the songwriteing style the world would soon fall in love with later. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall its worth the money but they left out great songs like "The Money Will Roll Right In," "Do You Love Me?" (Kiss cover) and the lost Fecal Matter tape. They should of put the studio versions of songs like "Even In His Youth" (SLTS single), I Hate Myself And Want To Die (Bevis And Butthead Experence) and Moist Vagina (HSB single), and do we really need two more versions of Polly? But we get a studio version of "Old Age," "Verse Chorus Verse," "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam" and "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" Anyway this box set is for the hardcore Nirvana fans not for the ones who only own Nevermind. // 10

With The Lights Out Reviewed by: SuperAnalytical, on march 16, 2006

Sound: Nirvana's 'With The Lights Out' box set of the band's past truly opens doors to unreleased Nirvana material, along with some rough recordings, whether it be live, acoustic, or studio, versions of some of their greatest hits. All of the traditional Nirvana sound is present in some form or another, along with an included alternative-metal feel with some songs. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are pleasing and wonderful, as usual with Mr. Kurt Cobain. Lyrics and music flow together and they're on the same page with each other at all times. Kurt's voice is obviously the same as it always is, some days there's range, some days there isn't. Also, the track 'Marigold' is vocalized by Dave Grohl. This song would be stiff competition for best song on the album, if it weren't for it's length and repetitiveness. // 9

Overall Impression: The unreleased tracks are awesome, and the varied recordings shed new light on the early days of Nirvana. Some songs that stick out in my mind in greatness would be 'Marigold' (disc 3), 'Anorexorcist' (disc 1), 'Old Age' (disc 2), and 'Sappy' (disc 3). There is something for all Nirvana fans in this box set, and I would totally buy it again if it were stolen, even if it were twice the price originally. // 9

With The Lights Out Reviewed by: foxrider, on june 01, 2006

Sound: First of all, lets just say that Nirvana was an amazing band and deserved the attention they got because of their amazing lyrics and creativity thanks to Kurt Cobain. He was a pioneer for the rights of the discriminated, he was an amazing person and that he didn't deserve to die (I believe he didn't commit suicide. For more information google "The Cobain Case" it is a very informative documentary). Now that that is out of the way let's get to the album. Nirvana's unique tone, lyrics and playing are showcased on this album by playing their live preformances and their demos. The sound on the album overall isn't that great mainly because of the fact that it is a collection of demos and live preformances recorded by shoddy tape recorders, but that said the overall impression of the record is a good one. They showcase some of the softer songs in a solo acoustic version other than that it is great Grunge. // 8

Lyrics: It is fair to say that Kurt's voice is one of, if not the best, voice suitied to Nirvana, I gaurentee if he wasn't the vocalist Nirvana wouldn't be half as popular. Kurt's soft, crooning, gentle voice is showcased in "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam" and it is a beautiful thing to listen too. His darker side comes through on such songs as "I Hate Myself And I Want To Die". Then his vocal range is extended over several songs such as "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Heart-Shaped Box", and "Blandest". When it comes to the lyrics themselves, there is a varying range. Some songs are strong and others are weak, but all of them go well with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a good album but I would only reccomend it to Hardcore Nirvana fans because of the fact it is almost all demos. The most impressive songs on the album are definitely any of the solo acoustic songs on CD#3, specifically "Do Re Mi" other songs worth checking out are "Token Eastern Song", "They Hung Him On A Cross", and "Sappy". This is a pretty good collection but I wouldn't drop another 100 for a similar one, I would prefer to get the rest of all the Nirvana albums. Before you buy this definitely check out the other albums specifically In Utero and MTV Unplugged Live in New York. // 8

More Nirvana reviews rating latest review
+ Amsterdam Love Buzz [Bootleg] 7.5 06/13/2013