Tragic Kingdom Review

no doubt: Tragic Kingdom
Released: Oct 10, 1995
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge, Third Wave Ska Revival, Ska-Punk
Led by the infectious, pseudo-new wave single "Just a Girl," No Doubt's major-label debut, Tragic Kingdom, straddles the line between '90s punk, third-wave ska, and pop sensibility.
 8.9
 8.7
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Tragic Kingdom Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on january 04, 2005

Sound: No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom CD was the first CD I ever bought. I believe I was seven when I got this CD. I decided to give it a listen again. The sound on this albulm is great. I wish No Doubt stuck to their ska roots later on in their career. Thats right the CD is not pop, but straight up ska. Tom Dumont does play the guitar good. He has some great riffs on this albulm. Plus Gwen's brother brings some uniqueness with the keyboards. // 8

Lyrics: Why can't female singers write good lyrics today? Gwen Stefani should show them how to write cause I thought the lyrics she wrote were great. Not every song dealt with a guy but just normal topics and struggles. Gwen can sing really good. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, Tragic Kingdom is No Doubt's best CD. It has some great songs on there that I liked. My top 5 were Spiderwebs, Excuse Me Mr., I'm Just A Girl, Sunday Morning, and Don't Speak. This was definitely in my opinion one of the best CDs of the '90s. If you like ska then you'll like this albulm. // 8

More No Doubt reviews rating latest review