More Betterness! Review

artist: no use for a name date: 05/03/2004 category: compact discs
no use for a name: More Betterness!
Released: Oct 5, 1999
Genre: Rock
Style: Punk Revival
 8.9
 9.1
 8.6
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
More Betterness! Reviewed by: MarkL, on january 12, 2004

Sound: More Betterness is without doubt one of my favorite albums. What I like is the beginning of some songs: Persons are speaking a sometimes more, sometimes less intelligent phrase or dialogue and then suddenly the band comes in. The mix of clean and distortion songs prevents the cd from becoming boring and the structure of each song is well thought out. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are - in a great part - melancholic and exhorting. The songs mostly deal with friendship, loneliness and love. Tony's voice gives the songs a special note and carries the emotions that are created by the music. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all I can say that this cd was worth every cent. I have listened to it for an innumerable number of hours and I still find something new in each song when I hear it again and again. My favorites are "Fairytale Of New York", "Why Doesn't Anybody Like Me" and "Life Size Mirror". If you want a good cd that lives up to its promise then you found it in "More Betterness". // 10

More Betterness! Reviewed by: matt_rawlings, on february 12, 2004

Sound: No Use For A Name are a balls out punk band. "More betterness" sounds like lagwagon mixed with the descendents (which is always going to be something special). The sound quality and production cant be falted anywhere over the album. Tony Sly's voice is amazing and the songs come thick and fast. This is part of the problem. Some of the songs stand out alot more than others and alot of the songs sound similar to the song before it. // 6

Lyrics: Tony Sly has a great way with words and often writes bitting, relevent and intelligent lyrics. Songs such as "Always Carrie" and "life-sized mirror" work there way into your head and wont go away for some time and "Why doesn't anybody like me?" is a loser anthem. The thing with NUFAN is that without there lyrics they would just be another punk band. But as long as they've got Tony Sly at the helm, they can do no wrong. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, "Live in a dive" and "Hard Rock Bottom" are better than more betterness. But this is still a great album and certainly worth buying. My favourite songs are "Always Carrie", "Chasing Rainbows" and "Saddest song". If I lost this CD I would definitely buy it again, but I wouldn't rush to the shops to get it. If you like anything else on the fat wreck chords label (e.g. NOFX, Lagwagon) then you will love this. // 8

More Betterness! Reviewed by: s3xy l3m0n, on may 03, 2004

Sound: Man the singer has an excellent voice and the songs are simple with little fancy things throne in every now and then butg other than that its excellent sounding. // 8

Lyrics: Like I said before the singer has a great voice. The lyrics flow great with the rythem and sound. If you go to a lyric website and look at the lyrics where its easy to ready they tell a great story about tons of things. // 10

Overall Impression: My over all impression with this CD is great and I would definetly advise people to buy it right away! My favorite songs on the CD are "Saddest Song", "Chasing Rainbows", and "Why Doesn't Anybody Like Me?"! If i ever lost this CD i would most likely just burn it but if I had no way to burn I would 100% buy it again! // 10

More No Use For A Name reviews rating latest review