Heavy Petting Zoo Review

nofx: Heavy Petting Zoo
Release Date: Jan 30, 1996
Label: Epitaph
Genres: Punk, Punk-Pop, Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Skatepunk
Heavy Petting Zoo is basically just a barrage of heavy riffs and gut-busting bellowing but it doesn't hold up on repeated listens.
 8.9
 8.3
 9.5
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Heavy Petting Zoo Reviewed by: Jaw Knee, on june 05, 2006

Sound: The CD itself is another great punk stroy itself. The crunchy chords and scarce solos on this album made me think of it as NOFX's "mediocre" album before I had purchased it just two weeks ago. But after I bought it and listened through, I was extremely impressed by the few solos and crunching chords it expressed. The CD also gave off the hardcore punk music. The "hardcoreness" of the album was drawn into such songs as "Love Story" or more importantly "What's Wrong With Kids Today?" NOFX's music relies very much on the power chord for progression for several guitar themes (I play guitar, so I wouldn't know what techniques are used for the bass or drums). There are other techniques used on this CD, such as single notes. // 8

Lyrics: "Birds sing, there's not a cloud in the sky. August 8th is a beautiful day." is a line from the song "August 8th". The lyrics are as clever as Drublic. The "oos" and "ahs" are back from their departure from the 1992 hit "White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean". The lyrics blend in very well. Especially on "Philthy Phil Philianthropist" and "Bleeding Heart Disease". Not to mention "Whatever Didi Wants" and "The Black and White". It has to be one of their most well written albums to date. As I have said before, NOFX is my favorite band. A fourth of the fact is because of he lyrics Fat Mike and Melvin write. The lyric stories involve love, unwanted sex, lesbians and fat girlfriends. One song, "Liza", continues the story of the lesbian couple "Liza and Louise". It is the second part in the three part story so far. Fat Mike's vocals, as always, go excellent with the music. I have come to view the fact that his voice is not "obnoxious". It's just the sound of his voice. His lyrics were written for it and nothing else except the backing vocals. Speaking of which, there are few backing vocals on this record. The only backing vocals I could find were on the song "Bleeding Heart Disease". But if they were the only set for Melvin adn Hefe, they were very well planned out. // 9

Overall Impression: This is far from being "mediocre". I'd say it was one of their "middle" albums. Not their best, not their worst. The most impressive songs on this album, I thought, were five out of the 13 songs on the album: Bleeding Heart Disease, Phility Phil Philanthropist, August 8th, The Black And White, Whatever Didi Wants. What I love about this album is that it's such a classic and is just a punk rock revival from the '90s. The band's music has improved a lot to this day from what it was back in the late '80s and early '90s. There is no much I hate about this CD. Maybe it's lack of pleasing the critics or the amount of time they spent on it. It could've been even better, but this is how it was. How it is. I'd totally buy this CD again. The impression I had when I first heard it, I can't believe myself. But now it's just like "d00d I like n0fx a l0t". I love them even more from buying this CD and would buy three extra copies just in case. // 8

More Nofx reviews rating latest review
+ Wolves In Wolves' Clothing 9.2 01/16/2013