Pump Up The Valuum Review

9.2
 8.6
 9.8
Pump Up The Valuum Reviewed by: SpacedOut, on february 16, 2004

Sound: The usual NOFX sound, but a bit better. Mikes voice isn't as bad in this album and their are some cool guitar & bass riffs. The songs arent especially catchy but are fun to listen to. // 8

Lyrics: Its the usual split between nonsensical acid trips and reasonable arguments. Dinosaurs will die being a decent angry song about the destruction of the pop music industry, rather than an argument about a republican government, but then songs such as bottles to the ground & theme from a NOFX album rely more on the tune. Whats the matter with parents today and My vagina are comical but not quite funny. Over all a decent balance. // 6

Overall Impression: When the press release for the war on errorism came out the production title was "our second best album". This is arguably the first, its typical NOFX but in the best ever way. The only NOFX album I have considered buying. // 8

Pump Up The Valuum Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2004

Sound: Start to finish: great album. Hands down my personal favorite of all their all albums (I have all except war on errorism, liberal animation, heavy petting zoo). No ska on this one, but thats fine with me cuz I don't think its for them anyways. They play ska well, but I think fast and furious punk sounds more like their sound. Melvin and Hefe both have some great solos. Smelly (Erik Sandin) occaisionally branches out with some creative beats and fills. fat Mike uses pretty simple riffs, but the dynamic duo (Melvin+Hefe) cover for him on that. // 10

Lyrics: I have a friend whos all about NOFX. He says they're different and superior from other punk bands because of "intelligent lyrics." And hes serious. He doesn't have pump up the valuum, so hes never heard "Clams Have Feelings Too" or "Louise". Intelligent lyrics my ass. Good, yes. Intelligent, noway in hell. But if your like me, you couldn't care less about about intelligent lyrics. If they make sense and have at least some meaning behind them, then great if not, o well. // 8

Overall Impression: Best NOFX album (I think so at least). Hilights for me are: take two placebos and call me lame, pharmacists daughter, and theme from a NOFX album. Fast, hard, loud. Good formula. No hatin on this album. Worth the price if it was stolen, I'd get it again asap. That's about it. // 10

Pump Up The Valuum Reviewed by: Jim Danzig, on june 21, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is great! Wow NOFX have come along way! This is a great album, there best along with Punk In Drublic and White Trash. This is great and the guitars, drums, bass and vocals amazing as usual for a NOFX cd. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't up to musch in this cd, but NOFX still make some good points about some politcal issues, drugs and the music business. This is more of an amusing album rather than the more political album War On Errorism. Stil good though NOFX can write much better lyrics despite these songs being complete classics. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great album, from the snarling singing on songs such as Bottles To The Ground and Dinosaurs Will Die to the fast and energetic songs like Louise and Thank God Its Monday this shows NOFX are still here to stay, and it shows that experiance really does show when listenin to their music. // 10

More Nofx reviews rating latest review
+ Wolves In Wolves' Clothing 9.2 01/16/2013