Punk In Drublic Review

nofx: Punk In Drublic
Released: 1994
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Punk-Pop, Skatepunk
With their 1994 album Punk in Drublic, NOFX truly hit their stride.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.8
 9.7
 9.9
Punk In Drublic Reviewed by: Jaw Knee, on february 20, 2006

Sound: The sound. Beautiful. Easy to play songs are turned into majestic ballads of solid punk music. With only one acoustic song, one blues melody, they have 17 songs on this CD that have given this CD's title of the best Nofx CD ever recorded. This was my first NoFx CD to buy. And its one of my best CDs out of the 100 I own. The guitar solos are scarce. But Eric Melvin and El Hefe handle treat them well. Fat Mike's bass talent is fantastic and goes well with the music. But the most under rated member of the band, Eric Smelly is the drummer. He has a lot of talent which isn't shown off in this one as it is in others. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just as fantastic. "Oi Oi! We're the Brews, sportin' Anti - Swastika Tattoos" from the Brews. Which is an amazingly well written song. The lyrics are somewhat strange with the music. Not that they aren't good, they're awesome. But I can't help think that they might have been written in no less than fifteen minutes. Fat Mike's vocals never fail to impress. His obnoxious tone gives Nofx their obnoxious song titles and fast sound. I used to think it was Eric Melvin who sang the songs. But I have yet to learn the best of them even though I could consider I'm one of their biggest fans. // 10

Overall Impression: This is their most depressing album. Depressing songs, depressing lyrics, depressing sound. The proof of this is with the songs like "Lori Meyers," "Reeko," "Don't Call Me White" and "Linoleum." But that doesn't stop the greatness of this CD. The best tracks are "Linoleum," "Leave It Alone," "The Cause," "Perfect Government," "Jeff Wears Birkenstocks?" "Punk Guy ('Cause He Does Punk Things)," "Happy Guy," "Reeko" and "Scavenger Type." But overall, all the songs on this CD are fantastic. Nofx brought out the punk revolution with Rancid, Offspring and Green Day in 1994, and they're about to make another comeback in April 2006. Under any circumstances, I recommend you aquire this CD. // 10

Punk In Drublic Reviewed by: Jim Danzig, on june 18, 2004

Sound: This album came out in 1994 so it's a decade old now, but it shows how much NOFX have done over the years, punk in drublic is a fine example of a punk album. The sound is alot more technical on this cd with the guitar sounding alot more prominant and it shows that Eric Melvin and El Hefe have become an amazing pair of guitarists. The drums (Herb Reath Stinks) are stil fast and furious as ever on a NOFX cd, and there is some great riffs from the bassest/vocalist Fat Mike. // 10

Lyrics: This is one of the strongest NOFX albums for there lyrics, hitting such topics as skin colour and politics, this is the time when NOFX became political and people started taking them seriously, (though they don't take themselves seriously, and they they put on one of the best shows you could go to see) Fat Muike really shows how talented he is on this record. // 10

Overall Impression: An amazing punk album, if your into punk music go out an but this because not only will it make want to get up and rock out, it will also make you think about the world you live in, and maybe inspire young bands to write some proper punk songs unlike most of the new wave punk/pop bands like simple plan. Buy it if you dont already own it, and enjoy! // 10

Punk In Drublic Reviewed by: sk8_punk_Trev, on may 21, 2008

Sound: this album sounds like a TRUE punk record. written and recorded in one day in "some guy's crappy-ass apartment" (as fat-mike put it), it's filled with your standard fast-paced drum beats that are all more or less the same, distinct (but not drowning) bass, and of course, great guitars headed out by el hefe. So, wat makes this record different than any other skate-punk record? nofx does their job well. Only a few bands actually have the perfect mix of musicians whos attitudes and styles blend together perfectly, and nofx is deffinetly one of them. It's got your fast-paced, short skate-punk songs, and a few just as loud but darker sounding songs. and of course, there's a great little acoustic ditty at the end about a homeless man dying and no1 ever notices. Now, I know this is a punk band, but el hefe is actaually a pretty good guitar player. He really gets over looked, and I think it's because he plays punk guitar. He's got a very distinct, recognizeable tone, and he can solo pretty decently. and I know, his solos don't have 1000 notes a minute or what ever, but what he plays blends perfectly with his songs. I only give it an 8 because it doesnt't seem to me like this album was built around the guitars, which I like more. I'd suggest listening to the opening track "linoleum". It's got an awesome intro, and I love the palm mutes at the beginning of the second verse. The outro is pretty awesome too, which is almost the same as the intro. // 8

Lyrics: where can you hear about bums, lost friends, posers and blue-balls? all on the same record? this album! actually, most any nofx album, but we'll stick to this one. Fat-mike always writes funny lyrics, but never too funny as to draw attention away from everything else in the record. When he sings his lyrics, you can tell that what he's singing (no matter how crazy or muffed up) is most likely an experience from his or his band mates personal life. But despite how bad of a story his lyrics are telling, he always seems to be laughing at them rather than dwelling on them. The best lyrical song on this record has to be "punk guy ('cause he does punk things)". He's singing about all the crazy stuff this bad ass punk does. Just check it out. // 9

Overall Impression: overall, this album is a masterpiece! everything from the instruments, lyrics, even the album name itself, is great. This album really is punk at it's best. If you think you like punk but aren't sure, and ur confused as to who to start listening to, buy this record. That's exactly what I did. Kinda thought I liked punk, but never really bought any cds. I had older punk friends who talked about nofx alot, so I looked for them in some record store one day. I picked the album with the best looking cover art, and pre-listened it. After the intro of the first track I was hooked. The best songs have to be "linoleum", "jeff wears birkenstocks?" and "punk guy". I love the fast paced up beat-ness of it. It just makes me wanna crowd surf at warped tour in '98! once again, my only beef is I wish it was more instrument driven, but that's just my opinion. If My copy was ever stolen or lost or broke, I'd cry and buy 2 more. // 10

More Nofx reviews rating latest review
+ Wolves In Wolves' Clothing 9.2 01/16/2013