So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes Review

9.4
 9.2
 9.5
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes Reviewed by: refusedparty, on march 21, 2005

Sound: 'So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes' is NOFX's seventh album, and the album many NOFX fans consider their best. All the classic NOFX sounds are here, from the hardcore of 'Murder The Government', to the skate punk of 'Dad's Bad News' and the ska of 'Eat The Meek', this album has it all. The sound quality is also the best sound NOFX have ever produced. The guitars are crisp and casually roar about with a tone I've been trying to perfect for years. The drums and bass are always present and sounding great, and the trumpet solos only add to the fun. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great throughout the album. Fat Mike is a very diverse lyricist, with songs ranging from psychotic grandparents to depression to falling in love on crashing airplane, and even a song in French. Fat Mike's snotty vocals are an aquired taste, and some people will find them annoying and grating to listen to, but I like them. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is probably my favourite NOFX album. 1991's 'Ribbed' and 1992's 'White Trash...' are also exceptionally good, but I think this one edges it. It has a more diverse range of sounds, which means it doesn't get boring or repetitive. The most impressive tracks are 'Champs Elysees', 'Dad's Bad News' and the awesome 'Falling In Love'. All the songs are of exceptional quality though. You won't regret it if you buy this album. I'm going to stop typing now and go and listen to it again. // 10

So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 09, 2004

Sound: Man, this is like different to any other NOFX album I've heard. It's like fast but at the same time mellow. It's also good quality recording and the solos are really different also, this may be an old album but it sure is amazing. Excellent sound quality. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are really good too. There like, really easy to catch onto, and they are really easy to sing along to. I love the lyrics in one song though, called "Champs Elisee", because as you can tell from the title of the song, it's sang in French. Its too bad though, that they didn't put the lyrics in the booklet, but apart from that, really cool. Another song which has cool and strange lyrics is "Eet The Meek". This is my favourite song on the album, perhaps my favourite NOFX song even. This is like a ska/reggae song and is really laid back. I'm not quite sure what this song is about, but it is really catchy and fun to sing along to. The only thing that angers me is that there are no good tabs, if not any at all. // 10

Overall Impression: This NOFX album is one of the best from them I've ever heard. In fact it is one of the best albums i've ever heard in General. The BEST SONG on the album without a doubt, has to be "EET THE MEEK" (track no.12) followed closely by "CHAMPS ELISEE" (track no. 9). I just love everything about this album man and I don't dislike one thing about it. With an album that good, you can't really find anything wrong with it,dude. If I ever lost this, got it broken, or it got stolen, I would definatelly have to go and buy it again. If anyone is a fan of NOFX, I highly reccomend you go out and buy this album NOW. It is totally awesome. 10 out of 10. Really cool. If you decide that you see an album you like by any other artist and you also see this one, Buy this one. You will be blown away by the quality of this album. // 10

So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes Reviewed by: rad82, on april 17, 2008

Sound: Yet another classic by SoCal legends NOFX. The album contains some very catchy songs. However, there are some I felt were a little bland that I would not probably be listening to if it weren't for the other great songs that surround them. I also liked how they branched out of their skate-punk sound and tried things like ska and others. "All Outta Angst" is one of my all-time favorite ska songs. I also enjoyed their really short songs like "Monosyllabic Girl". // 8

Lyrics: Like all their other albums, NOFX has good lyrics that make a point that falls in well with the style of music they play. There is never a moment that I cringe at how corny a lyric is, which can happen with many other bands, weather I like them or not. Their sarcastic social commentaries and off color humor always ammuse me. And not only did they sing in english on this record, but they stepped it up and even through down in french with a cover of Joe Dassin's "Champs Elysees." Although I wouldn't say Fat Mike is an especially talented singer, the way he sings goes with NOFX's music terrifically and I wouldn't want it any other way. It's kind of annoying when their guitar player (Eric) does that yell thing though. // 9

Overall Impression: NOFX is a great band with songs that don't grow old for me. My favorite songs off the album are "Murder the Government" "Monosyllabic Girl," "All Out of Angst,"Champs Elysees,"Kill the Rock Stars," "The Desperation's Gone," "Flossing a Dead Horse," and "Quart in Session." I have not heard all of their albums, but I would imagine although it might not be thier greatest album of all time, it is certainly a good album that is worth a listen, if not a purchase. I also liked the Howard Stern commentary at the end. // 8

More Nofx reviews rating latest review
+ Wolves In Wolves' Clothing 9.2 01/16/2013