The Decline Review

nofx: The Decline
Release Date: Nov 23, 1999
Label: Jun 1999
Genres: Punk, Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk-Pop, Punk Revival, Skatepunk
It isn't the sort of song which would have won NOFX any new fans, but sometimes even the converted need to be preached to.
 9.5
The Decline Reviewed by: noneoftheabove, on october 29, 2005

Sound: Leave it to NOFX, who are known for their minute-something songs, to do something completely different and record an 18 minute song. This EP only has one, 18 minute track, that sounds like your typical, ridiculously fast NOFX. You might be fooled into thinking an 18 minute song could get boring when surprisingly, it doesn't. Fat Mike has carefully orchestrated every segment of this song, using different styles that flow seamlessly from one part to the next. Of course there are a lot of punk parts, a few ska parts, a little acoustic, a few solos and a trombone part as well. As always the drums are extremely fast, the guitars play more than just powerchords and there are bass fills everywhere on this record. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on "The Decline" are some of the best I've ever heard. NOFX's trademark satire/sarcasm is executed flawlessly. From the first line, "Where are all the stupid people from? And how'd they get to be so dumb?" Mike sings about the decline of society, and basically how we are fucking ourselves every day, hence the title, "The Decline." "Why go against tradition? when we can admit defeat, live in decline, be the victims of our own design..." The lyrics really blew me away on this record. Most of the lyrics on have a slight political angle. Topics range from the NRA, the church, and cops, to television and everyday life. Overall the lyrics really highlight this well-crafted song. // 10

Overall Impression: The music on this cd sounds similar to other NOFX, although they manage to change it up quite a bit throughout. All in all, it's NOFX. You either like them or you don't. I would recommend, pick up this record if you have one of their other cd's and you like the sound. This record has a much more serious vibe than some of their "joke-songs", (i.e. "The Brews," "Monosyllabic Girl" or "She's Nubs"). If you're at the point where you enjoy Fat Mike's intentionally bad singing/uncompromising punk attitude and the ultra-fast NOFX tempo, then you will love this CD. It's cheaper than most full-lengths so I would undoubtedly buy it again if it were stolen. // 9

The Decline Reviewed by: bernie93, on june 04, 2007

Sound: Though quite technically this album is one song. It is still one hell of a song. The way NoFX have combined different components into one 18 minute masterpiece is brilliant. There are no self-indulging solos like we grew accustomed to during the '60s and '70s. Most of it is well written lyrics and little bass/guitar licks. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, well, what are to say about lyrics apart from "bloody spectacular." The whole song has the theme of the "decline" of the USA with little mini themes such as the condemnation of the Religious and Constitutional Rights. After listening to the song a few times it made me think about my view on American politics. // 10

Overall Impression: It is almost completly different to other NoFX releases in that obviously it's much longer. But also the subject in which the song is about. I love it how they have structured this song so well that every bit is as good as the last. And when the solos come on they never fail to impress. I sometimes wonder whether they could of made this song in parts like Pink Floyd's "Shine On Your Crazy Diamond." Although when I think about it, it would be hard to seperate the song into parts because as I said, it is structured so well that everything just fits together. // 9

More Nofx reviews rating latest review
+ Wolves In Wolves' Clothing 9.2 01/16/2013