The Greatest Songs Ever Written (By Us) Review

artist: nofx date: 04/10/2006 category: compact discs
nofx: The Greatest Songs Ever Written (By Us)
Release Date: Nov 9, 2004
Label: Epitaph
Genres: Punk, Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Punk-Pop, Skatepunk
This is still a fun look back at NOFX's colorful career, and a validation of their veteran status.
 9.7
 8.2
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
The Greatest Songs Ever Written (By Us) Reviewed by: sassamafras, on april 10, 2006

Sound: NOFX has been a staple in the punk scene for almost thirty years now and they could quite possibly be one of the few things holding it together. For proof of that, this compilation of 27 of their favorite songs (including one previously unreleased track Wore Out The Soles Of My Party Boots) are basically displaying their long and colourful career. NOFX hasn't changed their sound much since they began way back in 1983 as a three piece. Which isn't a bad thing at all. The tracks on this record are pulled from all of their full lengths and a couple of EPs. Though the tracks aren't in order they're their and thats what counts. The sounds found on this compilation aren't very varied, but are varied enough to keep it interesting. Of course NOFX's traditional skate punk sound is found in such songs like 'The seperation of Church and Skate' and 'Murder the Government'. Also some of their best ska songs are here such as 'Reeko'. Even some political pop punk as the likes of 'Franco-unamerican'. Also please note, there are NO musical inovations here, just the NOFX all us fans know and love. // 10

Lyrics: Fat mike is a very talented song writer and it shows where he hits the target. Songs about opinion and partying. From the brutally honest 'Franco-Unamerican' too the hilarious 'Bob' he never fails to impress when it comes to putting lyrics and catchy hooks in your head. One instance where the lyrics fit the song perfectly is the laid back reggae style 'Kill All The White Man' which is hilarious without a doubt and it shows hes able to think outside the box unlike most of the cliched subject matter found in most of todays music, although that song is fairly old. Now Fat Mike isn't going to win any singing contest, but his voice is just snotty enough, just snarky enough that it fits the style of music perfectly, enough said. // 9

Overall Impression: It is compilation, not a brand new studio effort, so comparing it with lets say punk in drublic wouldn't be fair. The one thing I can say is, that its WAY better than 45 or 46 other songs that weren't good enough to go on our other records. Naturally of course, since that was a compilation of their crap songs, as fat mike said himself. In my opinion, the songs that stand out on this the most are 'Bob' and 'Franco-Unamerican' and the party enema. The thing I love the most about this is that it gives the listener a glimpse into their LONG and very colourful on-going career, that shows all the poseurs out their *cough simple plan, GC, avirl lavigne cough* how its really done. The ONE thing I could trash this compilation about is how the tracks aren't in order from when they were released but thats not really a huge deal but it bothers me enough to mention it. Basically, if you are curious about NOFX I suggest you go and buy this, but if you've been a NOFX fan for a long time, you already have all these songs except the last one, which that last song may warrent a purchase, it did for me. If it were stolen or lost I'd go all the way back too best buy and buy it again just for the one sole reason I got it in the first place, most of my favorite NOFX songs are on this disc so I thought it was convinient. // 10

More Nofx reviews rating latest review
+ Wolves In Wolves' Clothing 9.2 01/16/2013