Bless The Martyr And Kiss The Child Review

norma jean: Bless The Martyr And Kiss The Child
Release Date: Aug 13, 2002
Label: Solid State
Genres: Heavy Metal, Post-Hardcore
Bless The Martyr And Kiss The Child is the first outing since Luti-Kriss adopted the new name Norma Jean, due to constant confusion from certain venues who believed the band was the hip-hop MC Ludacris.
 9.5
 9.9
 9.1
Bless The Martyr And Kiss The Child Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2005

Sound: Amazing. So incredibly unique and raw its hard to describe. This is Norma Jeans first album coming from their old band Luti-Kriss, and its much more different from Luti-Kriss, but don't worry 'cause they sucked (they sounded like Limp Biscut). All the songs except two just destroy you upon listening to them (in a good way). The other two are nice melodic partings from the albums overall art that take you down below the Mason Dixon line into pure southern craziness. It's great. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are incredible, along with the vocalist (my favorite vocalist in hardcore today) Josh Scogin. His vocals always have some message in them that just takes a while to digest, disect and figure out. My favorite lyrics are in the song "I Used To Hate Cell Phones, But Now I Hate Car Accidents," mainly with the lines, "They're Walking To Wallstreet In A Straight Jacket" which I have come to believe as him saying these people have gone insane over money. Anyway, for a good vocalist or lyricist, this CD is for you. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is my 2nd favorite album, next to Throwdown's "You Don't Have To Be Blood To Be Family." I am in love with Josh Scogins voice and and percussion section. Favorite songs are, all of them pretty much. If I had to pick like 2, id say numbers 2 and 8, but I hate doing that for its a injustice to the rest of the songs. If you like this album, and your looking for something like it (with the knowledge that the new NJ stuff sounds nothing like it), check out the Chariot, Josh Scogin's new band. // 10

Bless The Martyr And Kiss The Child Reviewed by: Griffer38, on january 31, 2007

Sound: Formerly known as Luti-Kriss, Norma Jean explodes with their first CD. This shows just how much talent these boys had. A large part of it didn't go to the music, but to the singer, which I'll get to in a minute. Either way, you get this CD, and you have one rare jewel. These guys are very talented at what they do, which is constantly beat you over the head with some real hardcore music. They make some of this stuff sound really eerie, like "Memphis Will Be Laid Waste", with slower guitars in the middle and spooky moans. Let me lay it straight. They are the hardness I've been craving for in some hardcore music. So many bands sound generic, but these guys have a really sharp edge. The songs do sound alike, but it's fine because they all sound really good. // 9

Lyrics: Josh Scogin. This dude could be the best screamer I have ever heard. He just scratches that itch in your ears to hear a seriously gruff scream. It works with all of the songs and is just a fantastic voice. He's very versatile. He can go from a screech to a growl to a long, throaty scream. It's truly a shame that he's no longer making music with Norma Jean. He seemed to write a lot about how the world is fighting each other, but that it's not necessary. There are other great songs in there about redemption through Christ and the such, but people are more likely going to look at the words just so they can screech along with him. // 10

Overall Impression: It would be a lie to say that this is my favorite hardcore CD I own, but it is easily the runner up. Despite a slightly repetitive sound, this album has no flaws. There are one or two black sheep songs that almost every CD is going to have, but everything else just has you really caught up in the rockin'. Once you start, this CD doesn't let you catch your breath, and when you get a chance to, you won't be ready for the next headbashing. This is a truly impressive album, and I would get again if lost in a heartbeat. // 10

More Norma Jean reviews rating latest review