Shake Hands With Shorty Review

artist: north mississippi allstars date: 10/31/2006 category: compact discs
north mississippi allstars: Shake Hands With Shorty
Release Date: May 9, 2000
Label: Tone-Cool
Genres: Roots Rock, Americana, American Trad Rock, Retro-Rock, Boogie Rock, Blues-Rock
Although the disc is loaded with guest artists ranging from fife player Othar Turner to the Tate Country Singers, it's ultimately the band's show, and the success of this album rests in their hands.
 8.9
 9.7
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Shake Hands With Shorty Reviewed by: TheRejoiceMug, on october 31, 2006

Sound: This is stripped-down roots rock and roll. It's the blues pretty much, but don't expect Eric Clapton "white boy blues", or a Rolling Stones sound. This is what they call "Hill Country" blues. Since I haven't found much of anything about the band on this site, I might aswell tell you what I know about this band. They are from Mississippi (obviously) and the sons of blues legends from down there, the new generation blues rockers. Now about the album, I can only say that it is a slap in the face to what they define as rock and roll now. The vocals aren't exactly up to par with some modern singers, but this is blues. The vocals aren't up to par with some of these modern-sounding bands, but it doesn't really matter. Pretty much like these "emo" bands with the screeching and the metal bands with cookie-monster vocals, it goes with the music they make (no offense to fans of metal or emo, I was just trying to make a point). As for the instruments, these guys are top notch. Electric, acoustic, and especially slide guitars drench this album. Luther Dickinson, the guitarist and vocalist is at the top of his game, to say in all modesty. Chris Chew's bass playing keeps the band moving, enough said, what else is there to say right? As for Cody Dickinson's drumming, he is just incredible. He's very modest about his skill, he doesn't seem to want to show off as much as others, but when he does, it blows you away. Overall, these three make a great band and can really jam out. // 10

Lyrics: Alright, the lyrics. These are blues songs and modern blues covers. What do you expect? Mostly songs about women, going somewhere, or wanting something better. It's simple, uncomplicated, but still overall fun. The real reason these guys play is probably to rock out and play rather than sing, this album shows how much more valuable the music can be rather than lyrics. If your a person who buys albums for the subject matter or complex lyrics, this isn't the best place to look. // 4

Overall Impression: Well I think this is a great album to listen to if you want to hear something new and refreshing. If you're a downloader, I'd reccommend the song "Goin' Down South" or "Someday Baby" for starters. You know how in like dare and stuff they talk about those "Gateway Drugs"? Well, this is what I would consider a "gateway band", one of those bands that get you into music you weren't really into before. Before I gave this a listen, I was listening to stuff like Black Flag, The Clash, Sex Pistols, etc. Nothings wrong with those guys, just this was something so different from what I was into. If this were lost or stolen, eh I don't anyone would steal this because they won't know who the hell these guys are. But if it were lost, I'd probably get it again. // 10

Comments