Materia Review

novembre: Materia
Release Date: 2006
Label: Peaceville
Genres: Alternative Metal
This is an enjoyable, well-crafted and highly melodic effort that thrives on all things melancholy.
 8.2
 9.7
 6.6
review (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
Materia Reviewed by: hethamulburton, on february 26, 2008

Sound: I found this band in iTunes by searching out from Opeth. Upon first listen to them, I was in love. Transitioning in every song from soft, beautiful acoustic work to death metal, with a hard rock tinge, there was almost nothing this band wrote that could not catch my interest. The acoustic sound itself is absolutely stunning, without flaw, it simply needs to be heard more often in other realms of music. In the vein of Opeth, Novembre often shuns away from the death metal 'chug' and plays more chords and strummed passages. Solos, are likewise, not shreddy, but follow a gorgeous melody that punctuates the song as a classic in my mind. The collective sound of this band is purely angelic, I doubt a soul would hate this band. The sound crafted by this band is something I feel missing from modern music in all genres. // 10

Lyrics: I've come to find that this band is summed up as a prog goth death metal band, which I would agree with. I was impressed mostly at how the singer was able to mesh his lyrics into the sound of the instruments behind him. This must have been a daunting task for the vocalist as the sound of the instrumental parts themselves would be more than enough for me to buy it. Though, what was created in the end, is nothing short of pure masterpiece. From a lulling, dreamy clean voice, through a death metal voice of grade B quality, based on that it often sounds more like a hardcore scream at times I thought the vocalist performed exceedingly well. Everything coalesces beautifully, though, as I was expecting a death metal band as well, the hardcore(ish) scream that is often heard did at times annoy me, but only for a few listens. Keep in mind, this band is Italian and often ties in Italian lyrics. I, being unfamiliar with that language, simply cannot analyze every word for critique, but it does fit orgasmically with the music. // 9

Overall Impression: Personally, I felt this band was a lighter, more hard rock influenced version of Opeth, with shorter songs. Though, note for note Novembre sounds nothing like Opeth, nor take great influence of Akerfeldt's work. Featuring more chord heavy passages, blissful melodies, delicate acoustics, this album is as said before a masterpiece. The most impressive songs I feel are Verne, Jules, Geppetto, Materia, and Croma. These songs stood out to me as not exactly being so far superior to the other songs on the album, but they demonstrate best the overall sound of Novembre. I personally recommend buying this album, even if you pirate music, this is the type of talent that truly deserves the actual sale of it's art. As a side note, Novembre has a second album out entitled The Blue, in which their sound is sculpted into something even greater than this one. A sheer stroke of brilliance, I've even written a few of my own songs in the vein of them and they are above all others, my favorites. // 10

More Novembre reviews rating latest review
+ The Blue 8 06/30/2008