Into The Light Review

Nuclear Blast Allstars: Into The Light
Release Date: Jun 4, 2007
Label: Nuclear Blast
Genres: Rock
"Into The Light" is one of the company's first presents, given by no one else than RAGE composer and multi instrumentalist Victor Smolski.
 6.1
 4.2
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Into The Light Reviewed by: Fraserwatt, on august 22, 2007

Sound: This 20th anniversary album, celebrating 20 years of Nuclear Blast's history is made up of 10 songs, all written, composed and recorded by Rage composer and musician Victor Smolski. Musically, it's 10 varied tracks of high quality power metal. The thing that makes it special are the vocals to this album. Featuring talent from Edguy/Avantasia's Tobias Sammat, Helloween's Andi Deris, Nightwish's Marco Hietala, Sonata Arctica's Tobias Sammat, and several others. Like the music which Smolski has composed for Rage, it proves to be quite a thrashy album on the whole, however there are a few songs which don't work as well as expected, such as Death Is Alive (Featuring Therion's Mats Leven). // 7

Lyrics: The quality and subject of lyrics on this album are as varied as the songs themselves. From the well disguised political rant of Ruling The World featuring Tony Kakko (to be honest, I'm not a fan of political songs but I thought this was really well done), to the optimistic "Dirty Wings" (feat. Tobias Sammet). Personally I'm not a big fan of Communic's vocals, so Eternally (featuring Odleif Stensland) was a lowpoint for me. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, it's an interesting album, a tad hit and miss at times, but the tracks that are good are really good. I really like how it all fits together as an album, yet the changes in vocallists makes every track totally different stylistically and vocally. If it was lost, I probably would eventually get it again, but I'd buy something else first. All in all, albums like this cannot please everyone because not everyone is going to like every vocallist, but in my case all but a few were very pleasing. // 8

Comments