Stories Of A Stranger Review

oar: Stories Of A Stranger
Released: Oct 4, 2005
Label: Lava
Genres: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, College Rock, Jam Bands
It doesn't change OAR's organic, homespun approach to pop, either. But it definitely refines it along the way, bringing the Maryland combo firmly into the adult alternative fold.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.2
 9.4
Stories Of A Stranger Reviewed by: oarjammer116, on october 07, 2005

Sound: OAR still has their reggae/funk vibe only with less acoustic from Marc (vocals and acoustic/electric rhythm). A lot of their songs are heavy on lead and sax. The sound is really good, but I would of liked more acoustic in the record. The reggae is heavy on this record. Their is even a small rap part on "Program Director." It fits well with the song actually, and it was a nice touch. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are sometimes cliche, but all the while from the heart. You can tell they have really grown as a band. Before they had fun songs, now a lot of their songs have meaning. Marc Roberge will always have a great voice for the band, but he has mixed it up more on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is their second best studio album. "Risen" was better, but this is still a great record. I think the best song is "Heard The World," it has a great feel and I think it can relate to everyone. I love the sound on this album. OAR has always had reggae in their music, but this is the most I have ever heard, and it fits well. I would buy it again if it was stolen/lost, it is a great album and I was very impressed. Overall, a phenomenal record. // 10

Stories Of A Stranger Reviewed by: jwknov29, on october 17, 2005

Sound: The album starts strong with "Heard The World," one of the best tracks on the record. "Love And Memories" is another great track, and it shows a new side of OAR. In the middle, "The Stranger" is a great song, but everything else is dissapointing until the very last track, "52-50." It shows that OAR is doing everything it can to prove they're just as good in the studio as they are live, and they certainly didn't reach that goal. For the most, the sound on this album is overly-produced, which has never been a problem with OAR in the past. // 6

Lyrics: Marc Roberge could certainly do better. He has written great lyrics in the past, and nothing on this album compares. He's a very honest writer, everything comes from the heart, and many of the songs reflect that. However, many of the lyrics don't match what we've seen Marc do before. // 8

Overall Impression: OAR is trying to be something it's not. Marc reminds me of Mark McGrath throughout "Daylight For Dog." Maybe no one else sees it that way, but his vocals seem like that on that song. I love his vocals on Love and Memories, along with the great music, but that is one of the few high points on the album. "The Stranger" and "Heard The World" are the songs that are most true to OAR's sound, along with the epic "52-50." Songs like "Wonderful Day" and "Lay Down" seem to only work live. I, personally, thought that OAR proved they were a great studio band with "In Between Now And Then," but in this record it sounds like they're trying too hard to match that or exceed that record's quality. // 7

Stories Of A Stranger Reviewed by: cmsurvive11, on august 02, 2006

Sound: OAR has always been a great band with a great sound. On their past albums they stuck with more of the sound from their first record the Wander. This ablum is a very big change. They do keep that ska/regee feel to their songs but they really have brought a more alternitive style to their music. Love and Memories really is the song in my opinion that signifies their new alt feel. "Wonderful Day" is a great saxaphone song which you got to love. I think its Program Director which I swear they imported Bob Marleys voice in a part, it really was neat. // 10

Lyrics: Marc is known for writing very cliche but fun lyrics. However I think on a few of the songs like Heard The World there is a new shown maturity of his lyrics, which seem very sincere. His voice itself on this ablum probably has its greatest showing of his vocal range which is very impressive. // 10

Overall Impression: This maybe OAR's best album but they really don't have one that is great so you'd have to listen to them all to decide. I just saw them live in Rochester NY and the new songs from this album really give the band a chance to do some great improve work with their songs. If it were lost I find the person who stole it kill them and then buy a new album. // 10

Comments