Be Here Now Review

artist: oasis date: 04/02/2010 category: compact discs
oasis: Be Here Now
Released: Aug 26, 1997
Genre: Rock
Styles: Rock & Roll, Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Pop/Rock, Britpop, British Trad Rock
 8.8
 8.6
 8.9
Be Here Now Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 23, 2004

Sound: Some might say this is Oasis worse album, others say it it the greatest rock n roll swindle. When this album came out in '97, there was mixed opinions. I was one all for it. Oasis progressed from their previous album, Whats The Story? to create longer, more complex songs. There really are a few classics here such as D'You Know What I Mean, Stand By Me, Don't Go Away and All Around The World. All Around The World clocks in at over 9 minutes then another 2 minute reprise at the end. The album also has other gems here like, My Big Mouth, I Hope I Think I Know and Be Here Now. The remaining tracks are also ace. // 10

Lyrics: Noel is definatly a great songwriter. Here the lyrics are cathcy and memorable just like nearly every Oasis song. The melodies are sweet and Liam and Noels vocals are on top form. For me the stand out track for vocals would be D'You Know What I Mean, with catchy lyrics and a great chorus. // 10

Overall Impression: I have no idea why some people criticised this album. Sure Noel may hate it, but Liam loves it. Out of the 12 tracks maybe, possibly only 1 would be skipped. There is something here for everyone. A great album by a great band. // 10

Be Here Now Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 18, 2006

Sound: Although Be Here Now often receives far more negative reviews than Oasis' first two albums for being overproduced and trippy, the expirimental sound is, on the whole, still very pleasant to listen to, and nowhere near as extreme as some retrospective reviews have made it out to be. Sure, some of the songs are too long, and some of the backwards helicopter nonsense is a bit of a waste, but, on the whole, Be Here Now is another very good Oasis album. // 8

Lyrics: One of the very nice things about Be Here Now is the mixing of the non-sensical lyrics like in Magic Pie and Be Here Now (the song) with much deeper, more meaningful songs like Don't Go Away. My Big Mouth's lyrics are genuinely very funny, and it is a bit of a shame that it is probably the worst song on the album musically. The songs are, on the whole though, catchy and upbeat. // 8

Overall Impression: Be Here Now came at a difficult time for Oasis. The pressure to match something like Definitely Maybe, or even just (What's The Story) Morning Glory? was massive, and Be Here Now quite clearly does not measure up to what are two seminal rock 'n roll albums. However, Be Here Now is packed with good songs, with several excellent ones. Don't Go Away, Stand By Me, All Around the World, and It's Getting Better (Man) are the standouts, with really only D'ya Know What I Mean and My Big Mouth being particularly boring. Definitely a must have for even the remotest of Oasis or Britpop fans, as it is definitely a quality album. As the title would indicate, it really is more about living in the day, and really does have less staying power than the first two Oasis albums, but still very enjoyable to listen to. // 8

Be Here Now Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Sound: In 1996 Oasis were the biggest and best band in the world. After the release of their second album (What's The Story) Morning Glory? they played twice at knebworth to the greatest ever gathering of people in the UK. 'Definitely Maybe' is the best selling debut of all time in the UK and 'Morning Glory' is up there with 'Dark Side Of The Moon'. When they scheduled the release of 'Be Here Now' in 1997 the media hyped it like nothing that had come before, in the UK this album was the most anticipated of the '90s. At the time it was released it was the fastest selling album of all time, yet now it is found in bargain bins. I picked up my copy for 3.00 in a stock clearance. Why does it sell so poorly? Because it is a major dissapointment. It cannot live up to the hype. But was it a bad album? No. It just wasn't up to standard. Oasis took their sound out of proportion on this album and made every song an epic. The songs either sounds overblown with ego, or stale with lack of effort. However, Liams voice and the bands distinctive sound are dtill present which means that the songs are still listenable, but compared to the fresh sound of their previous works it can't compete. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on 'Be Here Now' aren't bad, as Noel has never been a bad songwriter. In fact some songs have excellent lyrics such as 'My Big Mouth' and 'Magic Pie' (although this is way too long). Even on songs like the title track, when the lyrics are non-sensical, there is still some good poetry and imagery. Some of the songs have simple lyrics, which work as you want to sing along as in 'Stand By Me'. Overall the lyrics stand strong compared to their other efforts, its the length of the songs which make them seem strained. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall it isn't bad, but has little re-playability as you get fed up of some of the songs upon the first hearing. Most of the songs are around 6 minutes in length which means you get bored around the five minute mark. It is better than the follow ups of 'Heathen Chemistry' and 'SOTSOG' but the new CD 'Don't believe the truth' is probably better and more consistant than this album. Despite all that is said about this album there are some good songs on it. Do you know what I mean?, My Big Mouth, Stand By Me, Be Here Now and It's Gettin Better Man! are all good songs. The album has some tracks that are too long, Magic Pie, All around the world. And songs that don't contribute anything, The reprise and I hope, I think, I know. Overall an album that has some good moments and could have been massively improved, some of the songs are worth it though, and for 3.00 you're gonna find it hard to get a better deal! // 6

Be Here Now Reviewed by: Timo2a, on april 02, 2010

Sound: In my opinion, Oasis are the greatest band ever! I don't know why alot of people (especially Noel) hate this album. This album is one of their best and my favourite. It contains All Around the World, which is my favourite song. All the songs in this album are top class. However, if there would be one complaint about it, it would be the un-needed content in songs like D'you Know What I Mean and Maic Pie. Its not the fact that their long its just weird. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in the album are, as usual, top class. There are some humorous lyrics like in My Big Mouth and some really not so humorous ones, like in Don't Go Away. The last track is without lyrics. Howeve its one of my favourites one the album and a great way to end. // 10

Overall Impression: This is certainly different from their other albums, but in no way worse. My favourite songs on it are All Around the World, Don't Go Away and Stand By Me. The songs in this are long but not repetitive, I don't understand why some people complain about the length. If this were stolen I would definately buy it again. // 10

More Oasis reviews rating latest review
+ Time Flies... 19942009 10 04/18/2011