Definitely Maybe Review

oasis: Definitely Maybe
Released: Aug 30, 1994
Genre: Britpop, Alternative Rock
Label: Creation
"Definitely Maybe" is the debut album by the English rock band Oasis.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.5
 9.5
 9.4
Definitely Maybe Reviewed by: shkrmkr, on february 20, 2006

Sound: Definitely Maybe is probably the best Debut album ever written. I'm not saying this because I am an Oasis fan, but for what it meant to many many people and as Noel Gallagher once said "We've caught the spirit of what was missing in a lot of people live's." Any doubt? Hope not. Oasis created a significant and transcendental album that showed the world what they were capable of. It a few words: Definitely Maybe defined the '90s (yeah, probably along with Nirvana's Nevermind). It is not very difficult to say how this band sounds: Oasis sounds like Oasis, that simple. Obviously, you'll find some of the Beatles in their music, some of the Stones, Sex Pistols, Stone Roses, T-Rex, and so and so not because they copied all those great bands, it is simply because you can't reinvent rock & roll, the reason: it is not dead yet, and probably will never be. Definitely Maybe is Definitely Definitely more Rock than the following ones. It has this "careless" feeling we all experience once in a while (especially for all of us that are still young, don't get me wrong though no one is old if they don't want to). Awesome chords progression, catchy riffs and solos that will hook you up and won't leave your head for a long, long time. I can't tell you which is better in this album: the guitars or the vocals. I think both complement each other, because the instuments all together could sound amazing, but if it doesn't have the right voice, it's useless. R'Kid really makes a huge difference, his voice is unique, but Noel Gallagher is the genius behind the masterpiece: main writter and compositor, so I guess he deserves most of the credit here. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just brilliant, even Digsy's Dinner. Honestly. All the songs are just about "shagging, drinking and taking drugs" (Noel really knows have to express it) and some other stuff, of course. These 11 songs are majestic sing-a-longs thanks to their universality, they really express the whole meaning of "youth." Songs like Rock 'N' Roll Star, Bring It On Down, Cigarettes & Alcohol, Supersonic, Up In The Sky, Shakermaker, Digsy's Dinner and Columbia are a good example of that. Some of the Topics in Definitely Maybe: trying to find out who you realy are and what are your aspirations, achieve your goals, make your dreams come true, party, drinking, confusion, not having much money, psychedelia, equality, freedom, social comments, England, people and people, experience things for the first time, and I better stop or this will be veeery long. The other tracks left deal with the concept of love and friendship. Slide Away is about love itself, how Noel broke up with his girlfriend when he had to move to the city (if I can remember well), really touching. Married with Children is a funny story about spending your life with someone that you "love," it's basically about people's girlfriends, someone you just can't get on with very well, but in the end someone you can't live without. And finally but not least, Live Forever, the best of the tracklist and my personal favourite Oasis song. It is about Noel's Mom, but it really fits for any kind of relationship, not only with girls. It's about high aspiraions in life "Maybe/I don't really wanna know/how your garden grows/'cause I just wanna fly," respect, never giving up, and reciprocal care. "We see things that they'll never see/You and I are gonna Live Forever", wow, only very close friends or twin brothers can say that to each other. This song is the signature of Definitely Maybe. I don't think there is any better Oasis song than this one. Period. // 10

Overall Impression: There is no 'weak' track here. You can hear it from the beginning to its end and you'll feel like playing the CD again. It does have that power. I'll be honest, the first time I heard this album, I was just blown away. The structure and simplicity of the songs is just impressive. You can grab you guitar, even if you are a novice, and soon you'll find out these are not "difficult" songs to play (You can believe me in that one). Even the cover has something very special. It has many many little details you have find just like the music, which makes it perfect for Definitely Maybe, it's like the music and the cover are inseparable. Definitely Maybe was recorded three times, three times. And I guess it was it was worth, not only because they wanted it right, it had to be it, otherwise they wouldn't be what they are now. This is their best work to date. Well, what else can I say? This album meant and means so much to me to the point that I bought the DVD to celebrate the 10 year Anniversary, and probably would buy both the CD and DVD again just for the pleasure of owning them. Cheers. Mad Fer It. // 10

Definitely Maybe Reviewed by: Abe, on november 13, 2003

Sound: This album is truly fantastic. Without being the greatest guitarist ever, Noel Gallagher has made a terrific sounding album. The chord progressions are solid and the solos are great - its a top guitar album. Aswell as a piano solo on Digsy's Dinner which again is top notch. Partnered by some excellent drum beats and the distinct voice of Liam Gallagher Definitely Maybe scores a well deserved 5. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent and have lifted me out of denial many-a-time. They are mostly up lifting and about getting away and getting a better life. Then some are about the 90's lifestyle (ie Cigarettes and Alcohol) Slide Away is the high point of the album for lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best debut album ever without doubt. It is also, in my opinion the best album ever. Whenever it goes in my CD player it stays there for a long time. From Rock 'n' Roll Star to Married With Children its quality, no filler tracks at all. 5 outta 5. // 10

Definitely Maybe Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 21, 2005

Sound: This album is amazing! Noel's guitar playing is absolutely brilliant especially on songs like Cigarettes And Alcohol, Rock & Roll Star and Live Forever. The album cover is also quite interesting because there are lots of hidden things in the background, e.g. the framed photo of Rodney Marsh. For those of you (like me) with no life and no girlfriend you can try and spot them! // 10

Lyrics: Noel Gallagher has to be the greatest lyricist of all time! I mean who could write a song so amazing like Live Forever which is about his mum. The lyrics often don't make much sense (just listen to Columbia) but this is good because it means that they have originality and are not always predictable. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a glow in my CD collection! It calls me to play it the moment I set foot in my bedroom, and naturally I cannot resist. This is a classic just like its follow up (What's The Story?) Morning Glory which is still brilliant but only half as good as this! The stand out tracks are Cigarettes And Alcohol, Shakermaker, Supersonic, Columbia but the best of all has to be Live Forever. // 10

Definitely Maybe Reviewed by: songbird64, on august 21, 2014

Sound: Liam's vocals are great on this album, as he always was in the '90s. Noel sings some of the B-sides really well. Sometimes it is difficult to tell what instrument is what, because at times it it kind of muddy sounding. I personally don't hear any difference between this version (the remastered one) and the original one. That said, I have the digital download of the album so i don't know if that makes a difference or not. Some of the live versions of the songs don't have really good quality, but that's understandable. I bought this album for the extra songs, not for it being remastered. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are great! Even though some of them are weird, such as "D'Yer Wanna Be a Spaceman?" and "Digsy's Dinner" and some other ones, I still think it is good. Even the B-sides and demos have some ace lyrics. Noel always seems to be singing about getting out of a town, which is a bit repetitive, but relatable. Songs like "Live Forever," "Slide Away," "Sad Song," "Take Me Away," and "Strange Thing" are really good in my opinion. I think it is really cool to see how some of the songs started out and how they evolved to be what they are today. // 9

Overall Impression: This album definitely compares to other Oasis albums. I think it is the best one. All of the songs are great, except "Shakermaker." I don't like that song very much. I love that this album has B-sides and demos on it. I think that was a really good decision on their part. A lot of the songs on it you could not legally download until now. I wish they would make all B-sides available to download. I don't like that they put some of the songs from "The Masterplan" on it. I would prefer it if they would have put some different B-sides and demos instead of already available B-sides. I would definitely buy it again if I had to. I love this album. It is definitely in my top five of all time! // 10

Definitely Maybe Reviewed by: Tom, on october 12, 2004

Sound: Okay, this is where the album scores big points with me. Personally I love albums with a deep sound. This album is layered, multi tracked and all that jazz aswell, and it works. The pure thought gone behind the sound you hear is well beyond your usual debut album. The sound on the whole is pretty heavy with much distortion used, which can never be too much of a bad thing. The two guitars work well with lead and rhythm. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are not brillinat. Yet this is still considered to be looked upon as one of the greatest moments of British music. It is all in the delivery of the lyrics though, lyrics which don't seem to be "deep" or "meaningful" are thrown at you by Liam rather than sung. However this works, it matches the coarse guitars and heavy sound. // 6

Overall Impression: This is the greatest album of all time bar none. Trust me, trust the millions of people who agree with me, it is simply the best, music does not get much better than this, where the lyrics don't live up to much the album makes up for it in pure balls. These guys put the balls back into music, and will continue to do so for ever. // 10

Definitely Maybe Reviewed by: god_luvs_a_trya, on june 13, 2005

Sound: The sound is immence! This album is filled with songs that were written to play live and not intended for an album, This is why the songs seem to flow. It has hard rockin tracks such as Rock N Roll Star, Slide Away, Supersonic and Cigarettes and Alcohol. But softer acoustic tracks (Married With Children and Live Forever). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrical content of this album is very good. There are classic songs with sing-a-long lyrics, "You and I are gonna live forever" "I wanna be myself, I can be no-one else!" "Is it worth the agravation to find yourself a job when theres nothing worth working for?" Liam almost seems to have a softer side to his voice on this debut Oasis album. // 10

Overall Impression: I find this to be Oasis best work, this is definately rockier than their other work! The most impressive song is probably 'Live Forever', it has an amasing chord sequence, with great lyrics and a top guitar solo, it never gets old. I love verything about it, I love the range of songs from 'Married With Children' to 'Supersonic'. This album if definately worth adding to your collection, it is much more than brit pop hype! // 10

Definitely Maybe Reviewed by: paintITblack39, on november 22, 2005

Sound: Where can I start from this amazing album that rocked the '90s. It made one band the biggest band in england since, well, any British Invasion band. I am not saying they were better, but this album could have been comparable. This album revealed Oasis to the UK and America. Possibly the best song in here is Columbia. The outro is what I love about this song. Plus, this song has great music interludes, which shows the bands talent. I also love the drum intro of this song. Evert time I hear it, it makes me want to dance. Speaking of cool drum intros, Live Forever and Supersonic have some tremendous drum intros. Live Forever is more of that slow song with an overdriven guitar and solo. Supersonic is a song that also makes me want to shake. // 10

Lyrics: Who wouldn't want to sing-a-long with the lyrics: "I can't tell you the way I feel, because the way I feel is oh so new to me." I'll you who doesn't, no one. Other than that, Noel Gallagher does great songwriting even for an illiterate guy. Liam's early voice goes along well with the songs, because the songs show how immature those guys are and Liam's voice is basically his immaturity. // 10

Overall Impression: Grunge was falling and someone really needed to come out in the music scene. Honestly, we couldn't really stay unhappy for a decade. Out of all the debut albums that came out (Dookie by Green Day, Weezer's Blue Album) Definitely Maybe is the best. It is probably better than its successor, (What's The Story) Morning Glory? This album started out a career for a band that was considered "the best band in the world" for a little while. If you have a chance, buy these songs on iTunes: Rock n' Roll Star, Shakermaker, Live Forever, Columbia, and Supersonic. These could the best songs in the '90s. // 10

Definitely Maybe Reviewed by: Thom Yorke, on december 18, 2006

Sound: Oasis is my favourite band. I should probably say this before really getting this review started. There, done that bit. In 1994 British music was in a state of decline, there were no major bands and the world was still recovering from the grunge music of America that had dominated the early nineties. This debut from a young group of Beatles obsessed Mancunians changed Britain's musical landscape. Spearheaded by lyricist and guitarist Noel Gallagher and the sneering Lennonesque vocals of his brother Liam Oasis single handedly created Britpop. Not especially pioneering but they soon had the whole country on their side. This first album is swept with seemingly nonescencial lyrics, physcedelic rushes and memorable hooks. The album manages to sound like The Beatles, The Stone Roses and The Sex Pistols rolled into one. As a whole is louder than future Oasis records. It's raw and flows with Liam's vocals at their early best. A true rock 'n' roll sound. // 9

Lyrics: Noel Gallagher is an excellent lyricist. His lyrics don't essentially mean anything at all but his ability to pin them onto catchy tunes make the album great. The lyrics to second track 'Shakermaker' seem ridiculous on examination but the tune makes a truly memorable song and 'Cigarettes And Alcohol' is made up of borrowed hooks and riffs but Gallagher makes them his own with the lyrics. Managing to change music to fit with lyrics and vice versa shows up what a truly great songwriter Noel Gallagher is. His brother Liam's lead vocals help as well. Sneering and Lennonesque, he makes mediocre lines come up and keeps the album alive throughout the dodgy parts, such as his humourous rendition of Track 9, 'Digsy's Dinner'. The brothers together are what make Oasis great. // 9

Overall Impression: The album compares heavily to other great British rock bands from The Beatles to The Rolling Stones and The Sex Pistols to The Stone Roses. But it's rawness isn't like any other album I've heard. You are forced to believe everyword that Liam Gallagher speaks here and the guitar parts become instantly memorable. The most impressive track is 'Live Forever', recently voted #1 song of all time in a Q Magazine poll, it really hits home and Liam delivers it like nobody else could. Other standouts include the opening track: 'Rock N Roll Star' and lead single 'Supersonic' as well as the attitude track 'Cigarettes And Alcohol'. I love this album. I find it really hard to criticise anything on it. But to be honest one thing it could do better is the flow of the record. It seems to start and stop constantly and isn't one of those albums you could listen to every day of your life or even every week, like Oasis' follow up '(What's The Story) Morning Glory? And the novelty of 'Digsy's Dinner' does nothing for the album merely slowing it down while tracks like 'Columbia' and 'Slide Away' merely go on for too long. Still it's one of my favourite records of all time and trust me is truly brilliant. // 10

Definitely Maybe Reviewed by: Long_Live_Rock, on december 28, 2006

Sound: This was oasis's debut album and was also their major breakthrough. The album is packed with attitude and a sort of arrogant swagger to it, which is what somes up the band perfectly. The loud dirty guitar parts played by older brother Noel, backed up by rhythm guitarist Bonehead, go amazingly well with younger brother Liams vocal snear especialy on songs like "Supersonic" and "Ciggarettes and Alcohol". The album kicks off with the upbeat droning of "Rock 'N' Roll Star" which sets the mood well, then it kicks into the slow rolling blues "Shakermaker" and continues to please the listener with the classic "Live Forever". The album has some low points, some songs such as "Digsy's Dinner" and "Bring It On Down" lack the imagination and attitude to keep up with the others. One of the most obvious musical influences shown is The Beatles, similar chord progressions and techniques used by the band make that apparent. The main aspect of the music that gives makes it great is the vocal tunes of the songs, they all seem to have a certain ability to make you listen. // 9

Lyrics: Noel Gallaghers Song writing had not yet reached it's best but he makes a good first impression. Many of the lyrics are self indulgent and arrogant but have a very 'feel good' tone to them like "Ciggarettes & Alcohol". but there is some brilliant pieces of songwriting on there the best being "Supersonic" and "Live Forever". However Noel does tend to repeat verses and sometimes there just isn't enough lyric to satisfy. Liam Gallaghers singing voice matches well with the lyrics in every song he may not be the most skilled singer but his voice is what carrys the lyrics and adds an extra charm to them. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is brilliant and I would say it is the definitive Oasis album, it has the attitude which all the others lack even though it doesn't have the best songs it still somes up the band better than any other album. The 'must hear' songs on the album would have to be "Live Forever", "Supersonic" and "Slide Away". I love the mass of guitar playing and rolling rhythms of the songs and the whole aura you get from it, there's not much I dislike about it except that sometimes it loses it's effect. If it were stolen or lost I would definitly buy it again // 9

Definitely Maybe Reviewed by: Dragon Master, on april 05, 2008

Sound: With this album, Definitely Maybe, Oasis was finding itself around the new direction that British popular music was taken. Having served as a template for many bands to come after, such as Jet, the Killers, the Arctic Monkeys, and others, Oasis' first album is the best way to become a fan of Oasis, before truly appreciating their music. Noel and Liam Gallagher may have not immediately struck it's fans as the "Beatles of the '90s", but they were officially the most influential band of the '90s Second Wave of Britpop, having bands such as Blur, Oasis, Coldplay, the Stereophonics, and others arise from the burgeoning indie rock scene. Oasis, drawing on influences of the British Invasion and First Wave of Britpop in the '80s (The Stone Roses, The Smiths, The Happy Mondays, etc.), has created their own sound that has made them the most influential band of the '90s. What may be disparraging to purists in any realm of music is their tendency to lift a few of the original bases of popular British songs, in which case "Cigarettes and Alcohol" is the prime example, in which the legendary Marc Bolan is ripped off, while his contemporary, the even more famous David Bowie, is ripped off in the mediocre "Digsy's Dinner." However, with the continual growth in their songwriting, as well as Liam's vocals, Oasis became even better with each album than the last. The vocals may not be as perfect as every musical magazine made them out to be and Oasis is actually somewhat over-publicized in British music. However, Oasis lives up to it by making good music with excellent songwriting, with songs like "Rock and Roll Star", "Bring It On Down", "Supersonic", and "Live Forever", on this record. The legacy of Oasis should be enjoyed chronologically and in order to appreciate their later albums. Their legacy is very progressive and with the turn of the New Millenium, Oasis was maladjusted for the decade to come, as their albums would take directions shifting from their original sound, which is always a welcome change. All of their albums are good, but could Oasis make a steady debut? It was a Definitely Maybe. // 9

Lyrics: The best songwriting, by far, is on "Rock And Roll Star", which explores the basic constructs of rock and roll and people who dream of that success. This is very good songwriting that hearkens the days of the punk era, specifically the Jam, their main punk influence. 01. Shakermaker - is a Beatlesque ripoff of "I'd Like to Teach the World To Sing" that completely rewrites the lyrics of the song to fit their hedonistic undertones. Byfar, one of their most notorious (yet, one of their most famous) examples of plagarism that would continually be phased out, with each new album. 02. Live Forever - is byfar the best song on the album and the perfect example that simply has the most melodic songwriting of the album. it's chord structure and the way that the melody fits into it is a fresh breath of air for a new decade. 03. Up In The Sky - is a good song that is one of Oasis' archetypes. All of Oasis' basic melodies have been written out and this is a very good example of it. In the same way that Marc Bolan's entire collection of bluesy melodies were written out and made into great, perfect songs, this one gives a good example of that. 04. Columbia - may denote the feeling of an airport location, due to the dialogue in the background. However, the name of the country isn't spoken. A perfect example of shoegazing, this has a very well-written instrumentation that calls to mind Suede and the Jesus and Mary Chain, while also giving a great example of the shoegazing genre and how it would be perpetuated in British music, most popularly by the Verve. 05. Bring It On Down - is a punk-influenced song that denotes a '70s punk rock feeling that is mostly Sex Pistols-influenced. Bands like Elastica and Lush would be shown as the Second Wave of Britpop's best examples of punk rock-styled bands that played songs like this. However, punk is not alive, anymore. The best place to look for songs that call to mind this type of punk rock influence are definitely bands that Oasis influenced, such as the Kaiser Chiefs, the Libertines, and others in the Third Wave of Britpop. 06. Cigarettes And Alcohol - we meet again. This song, while having catchy, intricate songwriting, suffers from two faults. It is not approved for non-smokers, or, children under the age of 18+, due to it's overtly hedonistic nature. While catchy, it may leave a bad taste in listeners' mouths, due to this. Refer to Sound Section for it's influences. Oasis definitely does not call to mind Marc Bolan and T-Rex. 07. Digsy's Dinner - is not the best song on the track. In fact, it is probably the most mediocre and David Bowie, who was more famous in America than Marc Bolan was, would hate this song. One of punk's most influential artists, since the Who, David Bowie's song "Rebel Rebel" is definitely ripped off in this particular song. 08. Slide Away - is another great song that is similar to "Up In the Sky", in the fact that it brings to mind the familiarity of Oasis' stylistic melodies. It is the basis for an album-oriented track. 09. Married With Children - is only seminally approachable. It does not bring to mind the Oasis style and does not reflect a particular touch and it is a pretentious track that seems to call to mind the Gallaghers' attempts to act like the Stones, with lyrics like, "Your music's sh**e/ It keeps me up all night, up all night." Truthfully, the Gallaghers are not the Rolling Stones, but are certainly rock and roll, none the less. // 9

Overall Impression: Oasis is influential and should not be recognized for mere tabloid stardom. When their music is truly examined, they are starkly original, which is a glass half full. Their other half is not truly original, but that would become phased out with the motions of time that came from later albums, especially "What's the Story (Morning Glory?)" and "Don't Believe the Truth." If Oasis released a new album in the U.K., it would still be successful, though, it would only explore the heightened levels of expectation that have been garnered by an ever-ready audience, as Liam Gallagher is a better vocalist now, than he has ever been. However, it would take a while for British 1990's kids to forget the great album that came with Definitely Maybe. This album isn't perfect, because Liam's vocals had yet to evolve. However, this is an album that marked a new direction in music. Oasis' "Morning Glory" would bring absolute glory, as they would reach the height of the Britpop era. Thus, they would be able to reach the heights of their prophesized and oft-discussed British Invasion, First Wave Britpop, and '70s punk rock influences. But until then, it was Definitely Maybe. For bands that have been influenced by Oasis, check out the following: Kasabian, The Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Jet, The Libertines. Again, Oasis served as the template for these bands and thus, I would recommend buying it again, if it were to be lost. // 9

Definitely Maybe Reviewed by: mewert, on september 16, 2009

Sound: Oasis' immortality and legions of fans have been set in stone for quite some time; the band having hit their zenith, and perhaps the popularity of British music's zenith in the last 25 years ten years ago. The place where it all started is Definitely Maybe; perhaps underrated upon release due to the band's obscurity, but commended and rightly acclaimed in recent times with further listens into its brilliance and confidence. Definitley Maybe's sound is the sound of band full of confidence, swagger, combustion, sentimentality and energy, pounding onto the scene with a live sound of perfectly placed proportion. Although it can initially be considered overblown and too rough at a first listen, it is quissentially easy to look past this shallow observation and delve into the recycled but yet masterfully composed fusion of true Rock and Roll. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of Definitely Maybe were never meant to replicate Charles Dickens' or Bob Dylan's extraordinarity, and in turn Noel Gallagher's lyrics not only fit into the music with perfrect influxuation, but the words also rever almost perfectly with what the song is about; lines such as 'We'll see things they'll never see" being amongst Oasis' greatest works. 'Rock n Roll Star' mischieviously yet brilliantly enscapulates the band's general feeling, and perhaps righlty theorises the future; deeming that "Tonight, I'm a rock and roll star!". 'Cigarettes and Alcohol' cleverly takes aim at Manchester's lower-class life; whilst the ever sprawling 'Slide Away' breaks through walls and barriers with it's atmospheric chorus, "Now that you're mine!, We'll find a way, of chasing the sun". Liam Gallagher's singing has only been eclipsed on Oasis' next effort '(What's the Story) Morning Glory ?', and is in full flight on the sweet 'Live Forever, snarls and weaves through vines on 'Shakermaker', is sentimental on 'Married with Children', humorous on 'Digsy's Dinner', contemplational on 'Up in the Sky' and perhaps hits the perfect fuse of snarling ferocity and harmonic clarity on 'Supersonic'; the album's clear highlight. // 9

Overall Impression: 'Definitely Maybe' plays and connects within it's songs and itself better than 'Morning Glory' does, and as a result is Oasis' greatest album in terms of consistency and positioning. The songs all come from the same vein, creating a rush of fitting concuctions and a superior listen from start to finish. An album without a weak point, 'Defintely Maybe' takes great strides in resurrection great Rock and roll for the new generations; soaring most highly in tracks such as the defying 'Rock and Roll Star', the hauntingly twining 'Shakermaker', the immortalised classic and perhaps Oasis' greatest tune to date; 'Live Forever', the periphially contrasting 'Up in the Sky', the wiry and outcast 'Columbia', the essentially vocal brilliant and guitar beaming 'Supersonic' and the age-defying love ode 'Slide Away'. 'Married with Children' closes the disc on a wise and sentimentally concluding note, effectively distancing itslef from the album's wide-spread intimidation and shedding light on the band's stellar lighter side. Being the album that thrust Oasis into the face of music critics and fans alike worldwide on release, 'Defintiely Maybe' has lost none of it's fresh appeal or pristine novelty within it's simple yet great tunes than it had when it was rleased, and to date it's remains Oasis' finest full-album effort. // 10

Definitely Maybe Reviewed by: Timo2a, on august 27, 2010

Sound: When I ask sensible people/friends, who know their music, "what is the best debut album of all time?", they mostly say "Definately Maybe". That is my opinion as well, it is the best debut album of all time, if not the best album of all time. The songs always give a sound of freshness in the guitars and Liams singing. The sound in this album is quite different from a lot of their other albums, and its a good sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album aren't the most meaningful or impressive in the world but they state clearly what Oasis are about and go well with the songs. The opening track, rock'n roll star, opened with "I live my life in the city...". This is a great way to open the album because it sums up what their life has been like so far and what they're about. Overall the lyrics are great for such an album. // 10

Overall Impression: This album isn't necessarily better then other Oasis albums like Don't Belive the Truth or (Whats the Story) Morning Glory, it just feels different (hard to describe how). The best songs on the album are Supersonic, Slide Away, Columbia and Live Forever. If there was one problem I had with it is that Noel could of put more songs on the album, but this isn't really a problem with the actual album. If it was stolen i would Definately buy it back. // 10

Definitely Maybe Reviewed by: digoutyerarse, on february 07, 2011

Sound: Simple guitars, drums, bass, etc. Though simple yet effective is what's happening here. Bonehead and Guigsy create a wall of sound while Noel does some lead over it and McCarrol bangs away with the drums. And if that wasn't enough Liam comes wailing away with his voice. From Rock and Roll Star till Slide Away those things above are present but the last song which is Married with Children is an acoustic song that is just perfect for a closer, the dry tone of the lead guitar and Liam's "soft" voice comes in play. // 9

Lyrics: Noel is brilliant, the lyrics from Rock and Roll Star till Married with Children has something to say, even Digsy's Dinner with it's lyrics about havin tea and eating lasagna just come together very well with the music, it's simple but just hits you in the right spot. With Rock and roll star about living your life in the city and trying to find a way out and Live Forever about just wanting to live and be alive. Liam's with his distinct voice became a voice of a generation from givin his all to unleashing his soft side in Married in Children. It comes together very well. // 9

Overall Impression: Great album, great band.The stand out tracks are Slide Away, Supersonic, Cigarettes and Alcohol, Married with Children, and Live Forever. I love the fact that is just plain rock and roll with just plain honest lyrics and if it were stolen I would definitely not maybe buy it again. // 9

More Oasis reviews rating latest review
+ Be Here Now 8.7 08/21/2014