Don't Believe The Truth Review

artist: oasis date: 01/12/2008 category: compact discs
oasis: Don't Believe The Truth
Released: May 31, 2005
Genre: Rock
From the tambourines and jangling guitars to the tinny pre-hippie philosophizing, it's an album that thinks the way forward is by looking back.
 Lyrics: 8.6
 8.7
 8.7
 8.6
Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: jenkins3303, on may 26, 2007

Sound: The band itself is comprised of a delicious mix of talented men, who pour their heart and souls into there songs. Though most of the songs sound similar to eachother, they all sound great. This band was the band that inspired my own music, that I play. They are a great influence on any musician. They have a not so uniqueness about them, sometimes sounding a bit like Lapush, the Verve, or maybe even Coldplay at times, except for on a few songs. This CD is a great CD to listen to if you enjoy that type of music. Never going overboard, they create just the right tone, and sound. // 9

Lyrics: All of the lyrics on this CD are all very meainingful, and can only have been written by someone who has experienced what has been sung in the songs. If you listen carefully, you can eassily decipher a deeper meaning to some of the songs, such as "Guess God Thinks I'm Abel." A great song, with a deep meaning. The music fits the lyrics like a blove on a hand, and meshes perfectly with the bands musical style. No matter what, they sound great. // 9

Overall Impression: I would rate this music most highly, and recomend it to anyone who crosses my path. If someone stole it, I would find them and make them give it back or buy a new one. It's worth the money, for such an excelent music! I love the fact that all of the songs sound alike, but each have there own changes that make them sound not-so-alike. I love in "Let There Be love" how the singing switches from Noel to Liam in a perfect blend that makes the song work. I do think the band should experiment with a little more different styles, just to keep them fresh, but other than that, it's a first class CD, that should be in everyones CD collection. // 10

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: Nikki Christ, on january 12, 2008

Sound: Oasis' 2005 release Don't Believe the Truth was in a sense their comeback album, receiving great reviews from critics and fans alike because of its traditional Oasis sound. Some songs are played to a quick tempo with a '60s or '70s arena rock feel like "Lyla" while others are like soft ballads such as "Let there be Love". There is also british pop influences in some songs. It is a really nice mix and what you would expect from Oasis. // 9

Lyrics: Noel Gallagher writes most of the songs for Oasis, but on this album he only contributed 5. Bassist Andy Bell wrote 2, guitarist Gem Archer wrote 1, and Liam Gallegher wrote 3. A lot of the lyrics on this album are very clever, especially in songs like "The Importance of being Idle" and "Guess god thinks I'm Abel". Oasis have always had clever lyrics in my opinion. I think Liam's singing on this album is the best it has ever been. He seems to be in better control of where to input his sometimes annoying high-pitched rasp and he really shows him off has a better singer. Noel also sings a few tracks, and his clear tone sounds good as well. // 9

Overall Impression: Oasis themselves compared this album to The Beatles Revolver. It may not grow to be that classic, but to be honest it is not far from it. 01. Turn Up The Sun - soft verses and smooth guitar melodies with a hooky chorus. Okay song. 02. Mucky Fingers - sung by Noel. Cool Harminca solo near the end. Remides of a Bob Dylan song. 03. Lyla - nice '60 arena type rock song with a very catchy chorus. 04. Love Like A Bomb - cool rock ballad with some clever lyrics. 05. The Importance Of Being Idle - sung by Noel. Clever lyrics. Cool acoustic guitar riffs. British pop influence. 06. The Meaning Of Soul - fast paced song with a '50s rock feel. 07. Guess God Things I'm Abel - really cool acoustic guitar. Clever lyrics and really catchy. 08. Part Of The Queue - sung by Noel. Kind of like a more "rock" version of "Half the world away". 09. Keep The Dream Alive - guitars, drums, bass, everything has cool, catchy riffs. Very catchy chorus. Liam's voice is supurb. 10. A Bell Will Ring - similar to "Turn Up The Sun" except more rockish. It's said this is Ringo Starr's favorite track on the album. 11. Let There Be Love - sung by both Liam and Noel. Amazing, emotional slow ballad. I was really impressed and pleased with this album, and it shows me that Oasis are back on track and are as good as they ever were. // 9

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 18, 2005

Sound: Different sound from Oasis on this album. The opening track is dynamite and it just keeps getting better. The introduction of Gem to guitars has had a huge influence on the sound of Oasis. Musically I'd say this is their best album to date. // 10

Lyrics: Noel has a lot more songs to sing on, on this album which is ok, but as Liam is main singer I'd have liked to hear him feature on more of the tracks. Lyrically I think they've progressed backwards. This is probably due to Noel not writing all of the tracks. Good to see the others helping out but if you think back to when it was just Noel writing the tracks then you have to say that they albums were much better! // 8

Overall Impression: I think the album on a whole is their best since 1995. The music is so much better than previous albums and I think that's due to a better line up. Stand out tracks are Let There Be Love, The Importance Of Being Idle, Lyla and Turn Up The Sun! I've listened to the album religiously since I download it and each listen makes me like it more and more. It is a grower! Definite #1 album. // 10

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: walkerr, on june 09, 2005

Sound: As a blind dedicated true Oasis fan, I snapped up this album on its first day of release and I must admit this album is a hell of a lot different from what I was expecting. Admittedly, I had the exact opposite of the 'new product rush' and I thought half the songs were average on the first listen. However whilst refusing to believe that the lads have lost their magic, I began to appreciate what a f--king great record this is! As Oasis stand, the only "classic" Oasis track is Lyla, the first single to be released. The musical input from all members of the band is clearly seen, ranging from the full on Meaning Of Soul and the laid back Importance Of Being Idle to the monumental Let There Be Love, and I feel on the whole the band have taken a big step to re-establishing themselves as the Gods of rock'n'roll! // 10

Lyrics: With all four main members of the band contributing to the lyrics it was inevitable that we were going to experience a range of styles throughout the record. Naturally Noels songs are probably the most "Oasis" whinging about queueing up for his pint of milk and being lazy which is a welcome return from the more introspective Heathen Chemistry. Liams lyrical prowess however appears to be limited to songs of love but this is more than made up by the fantastic bursts of emotion he sings his tunes with. Again Andy and Gem's contributions also add to the flavour of the new Oasis lyrics and overall everything sounds fantastic. // 10

Overall Impression: In comparison to the other artists out there Oasis definitely have nothing to prove and it shows. With all recent bands trying to create their own sound, Oasis have simply incorporated styles from all members of the band and so without really trying, they have made yet another classic record that stands out head and shoulders above the rest. Classic tracks like Love Like A Bomb with its swirling piano, and the lazy Importance Of Being Idle a sure fire hit for the summer and also Turn Up The Sun has a lovely feel to the wind-down of this number which just puts you in the mood for the rest of the album. The only thing that may let this album down is the very mediocre Mucky Fingers. Its is not the best I've heard but hey, I cant believe anyone bought the Morning Glory album! On the whole, a fantastic offering from the brothers Gallagher. // 10

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 29, 2005

Sound: Oasis' experimentation with sound, tried on some of their earlier albums (SOTSOG in particular) has now shown increasing development and sophistication in 'Don't Believe The Truth', such as the change in dynamics from loud and electric instrumentation to the solo guitar in 'Turn Up The Sun', one of my favourite parts of the album. Not trying to put down any of the other newer Oasis albums (I am a huge Oasis fan! ), this album appeals particularly because of the softer, deeper sound than Heathen Chemistry and SOTSOG. Just as the Beatles developed their music to meaningful, dense musical masterpieces in 'Revolver' and 'Sgt Pepper's', perhaps this is the beginning of the transformation to true musical masters, similar to the Beatles, for Oasis! // 10

Lyrics: Again, as mastered on '(What's The Story) Morning Glory', the contrast between Noel and Liam's voices is superb, in particular from 'Guess God Thinks I'm Abel' to 'Part Of The Queue' and during 'Let There Be Love'. However, I believe an underlying message of a reunion or peace between Noel and Liam is evident in the lyrics ('Let There Be Love', a song about loving, not fighting). My much admired jumbled, drug-induced John Lennon-esque lyrics of 'Be Here Now' have disappeared, but what they have replaced seems to suit this different style of music Oasis have created. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is worth getting just to see how Oasis has evolved as a band and musically from 'Definitely Maybe' to now. One of the downsides to this album is the first single, 'Lyla', which I think is a huge letdown as it is just repetitive and boring (sorry to everyone who likes it) compared to songs like 'Turn Up The Sun' and 'The Importance Of Being Idle'. The contrasts and the change in atmosphere between songs (thanks in part to the whole group writing music) is also something special and significant. My favourite, and in my opinion most underrated song by reviewers thus far, has to be 'Guess God Thinks I'm Abel', which truly shows Liam's writing capabilities. Although sounding a lot like REM's 'The Great Beyond' (another good song, although I believe Noel holds a strong distaste for Michael Stipe), it has to considered as the gem of the album. The grand finale, 'Let There Be Love', shows a soothing, comforting and loving side to Oasis not really experienced before (possibly in 'Stop Crying Your Heart Out'). I hope, as I am sure all Oasis fans do, that Oasis' music continues to develop further (and become more frequent! Although, I would much prefer quality over quantity, as shown in this fantastic album). // 10

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: Twh2003, on may 14, 2005

Sound: To start, the sound of the CD at times can be sketchy. Perhaps it's a technique to add reverberation, but on such tracks as "Mucky Fingers," the audio effects make the music a bit convoluted. Past the technical issues, the sound of Oasis is slightly different from before. While the parallels to the Beatles are still noticeable in tracks like "Love Like A Bomb," other, assorted tracks sport a new sound. In a guitar perspective, theyve even experimented with new chord patterns away from the same repetition as before (which we all loved anyhow). // 8

Lyrics: I have to say that Oasis was never the most poetic. The lyrics for "Don't Believe The Truth" aren't amazing, but they do hint at subtle relations to religion. In the title "Guess God Thinks I'm Abel," references to heaven and death, and a new overwhelming sense of pious undertones, Oasis might be hinting at a deeper meaning to songs, which isnt a bad thing. For those singing the lyrics, there is noticeable change too. Though most of the songs are short, the singing variety on the CD is pleasant. Noel and Liam are complimentary to the music in the songs they sing; Noel now has some godly pitch he can reach ("The Importance Of Being Idle") and Liam can still sound Beatles-esque (except "A Bell Will Ring," which seems sketchy). Overall, not a bad job singing at all. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, the Oasis' CD is better than Heathen Chemistry, which I disliked. Theres more lyrical value and while the voices may have been sound boarded, there are no complaints for the end product (with 1 exception). Other good tracks not mentioned are "Let There Be Love" and "Lyla," their single. Only reason it doesn't get straight 5? It'll never compare with the Oasis of the past. I feel blasphemous rating this better or the same as Morning Glory or Definately Maybe. // 8

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2005

Sound: Don't Believe The Truth is an album, as Noel has said, aimed at the working class man. And my god is he right. The '60s guru would tell you it sounds like The Beatles, a little bit like the Stones and Velvet Underground. To a degree they are correct, but for the first time this has been done in a positive way. No longer does Noel "copy" songs (sorry mate I love your tunes to death but you yourself said you do it) he (and Liam) are for the first time influenced. This is Oasis, front to back and inside out and jesus h christ does it sound good. Key tracks are "Turn Up The Sun," "Lyla," "The Importance Of Being Idle" and the incredible "Let There Be Love." // 10

Lyrics: Some have said that on Don't Believe The Truth, the lyrical quality has declined. They're saying this because for the first time Noel and Liam are using the words "girl" and "love" and singing them comfortably. How is this a decline? It just means that they're finally writing music strait from the heart without fear of being laughed at. Wonderwall was a semi love song, but it was written in a way that didn't quite show it. This was done very well, but then songs like "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" didn't really have the same warmth. My point is that the lyrics may seem more simplistic on first hearing, but really they are just more truthful and strait forward. As Paul McCartney once said "I love you, thats all I want to say." // 10

Overall Impression: Oasis have don't it. After ten years they've made an album that is actually in the same league as the likes of "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "Highway 61 Revisted." Don't listen to that dick head at Rolling Stone Magazine who gave it a 3 and 1/2 star rating. This album will surely go down in history. // 10

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2005

Sound: This album has a good variety and the contribustions of four different song writers makes the album sound fresh and intresting with each listen. Theve obviously "stolen" many ideas but Noel is the god at doing this and makes the song sound completely new. "Turn Up The Sun" goes from a Travis like start to a rocking verse while "Keep The Dream Alive" is one of the closest songs I've ever heard to The Beatles. // 10

Lyrics: Most Oasis' lyrics seem to be jumbled up on previous albums and don't make sence. Prime examples are "Supersonic" and "Some Might Say." This would have been down to the use of drugs by Noel. Now he is clean and his lyrics and the other band members have a real meaning. "Part Of The Queue" are Noel's greatest set of lyrics while "Guess God Thinks I'm Able" see's Liam showing a secitive side to himself. "Let There Be Love" is another classic Oasis tune with fantastic lyrics showing that the band are becoming more mature and meaningful. The best example of the more mature and emotional lyrics is the opening to "Let There Be Love" when liam sings "who kicked a whole in the sky so the heavens could cry over me" wonderful! // 10

Overall Impression: I loved Heathen Chemistry but this is even better than there last effort. It matches the quality of "Definately Maybe" and "What's The Story" but it seems fresher and a new approach to music from the band is evident. Out of the 11 tracks, "Lyla" and "Mucky Fingers" are the only low points but even then they are not bad tracks, they just aren't as good as the other nine. This is Oasis on top form. The real gems of the bunch are "The Importance Of Being Idle," "Keep The Dream Alive," "Let There Be Love," "Love Like A Bomb," "Part Of The Queue" and "Guess God Thinks I'm Abel." // 10

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: god_luvs_a_trya, on june 06, 2005

Sound: The sound of Oasis has softened over the years when compared to their first album 'Definately Maybe', but is still worth listening to if your a dedicated fan. On previous albums they stuck mainly to guitar rock, but on this album they incorperate new sounds such as, harmonicas and various types of Drum sounds. On this album they had to re-record it a number of times as they were not happy with the results. Apart from the drummer everyone contributes to the album with songs, unlike the first 3 albums where Noel Gallagher wrote(borrowed) everything. My overall impression of 'Don't Believe The Truth' is that its the best one since 'Morning Glory' and should definately be listened to. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics work well as they are combined with well structured melodies. Let There Be love proves his. Liam and Noel both sing on the album, I feel this gives variety and can again be seen on 'Let There Be Love' as they sing a duet. // 8

Overall Impression: The best songs on the album are 'Lyla', 'Let There Be Love', 'Mucky Fingers' and 'A Bell Will Ring'. All of the songs on this album are listenable. With this album I love that they both sing, everyone contributes and it shows that Oasis are back on track. I would definately buy it again, but buy the special edition as you receive a free DVD! // 8

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: saad_aslam, on june 07, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is great. This CD was criticized for being an old-fashioned CD. Yes, maybe the harmonica in Mucky Fingers is pretty old-fashioned, but it sounds great. Buy it if your a huge fan of the Beatles. Overall it's great to hear something that aren't powerchords. Most guitarists who play that are overrated. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are excellent. Oasis excels when it comes to writing lyrics. You can tell how good there songs are by just reading their lyrics. The lyrics can come off any subject and it could lead to the main point of the song. // 10

Overall Impression: The best songs are probably A Bell Will Ring and Let There Be Love. The guitar playing in A Bell Will Ring reminds me of Led Zeppelin. I don't know if I'm crazy or something but it just seems like it. Let There Be Love reminds me of Oasis's old days like (What's The Story) Morning Glory? and Definitely Maybe. To make it specific it sounds kind of like Wonderwall except it's a duet with Liam and Noel. // 10

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2005

Sound: This is probably the best record they've ever made. It's more adventurous than Definitely Maybe, but not as pretentious as Be Here Now (which is still probably my favorite record they've made). The drumming on Part Of The Queue is just simply awesome. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. // 10

Overall Impression: It's better than Definitely Maybe and anyone who disagrees is just living in the past and needs to grow up a bit. Let There Be Love, Love Like A Bomb, Part Of The Queue, Keep The Dream Alive, Mucky Fingers, and The Meaning Of Soul are all supreme stand-outs. Anyone who doubts this record should just stick a gun in their mouth and blow their brain out. // 10

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2005

Sound: The sound this album is great. They've been mucking about with new sounds since SOTSOG and it evolved in to something more refined on Heathen Chemistry, but on this one, it's like a final product, polished. I like the harmonica influences and also the mellotron. Zak Starkey's drumming is just ace, the guy is the best drummer Oasis have had. I like the sound on all the tracks, if I have to pick one, I'd go for the Importance Of Being Idle, the best song on the album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, well Oasis have never been renowned for the lyrical prowess. It's pretty alright, I guess. Importance Of Being Idle, Part Of The Queue and Let There Be Love have got nice words, so does Guess God Thinks I'm Able. // 8

Overall Impression: Yeah, I think this album is better than the previous one, it's got a little bit more soul. I like the last one, but I think I will like this one more as time passes. The best song on this album is definitely The Importance Of Being Idle. Lyla, The Meaning Of Soul, Part Of The Queue are also class. I quite like Mucky Fingers, it's a good track, I like the idea of the harmonica and the mod sounding rhythm. // 10

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: ooowaaa, on december 08, 2005

Sound: If, like me, you have been waiting for the new Oasis album for what seems like a century, you were probably as plesently surprised as I was to hear that they have hwit a sound that packs all the punch and energy of Definately Maybe crossed with the maturity of Heathen Chemistry. To start off with 'Turn Up The Sun' is as inspired a decision as making 'Rock N' Roll Star' the opening track of their debut album, and from then on the booming sound flows out out. It seems as though for the first time they have made an album where bass has become an essential part rather than playing a minor role. No doubt they have one of the most talented players today in Andy Bell, not only for his instrumentual talent but his writing. Gem Archer has also shown how he is not just an also-ran in the Oasis set up. 'Keep The Dream Alive' compliments Liam's snarling voice brilliantly, something that has not been done consistently since the early days. Clearly Liam is back to his best with his gravelly voice and powerful sound. Noel blasts out riffs that seem to come and go so quickly you wonder if they happened at all and when you add Bell and Archer you have an amazing mix, almost bluey in places. The uplifting 'Mucky Fingers' is almost a carbon copy of 'Force Of Nature' from 3 years ago, but this time Noel doesn't have his stash smoked. Instead, it seems he's had it destroyed. The best song on the album is 'The Importance Of Being Idle', a song which Noel described to NME as the best he'd ever written, and we can see why. If you read something like that, you are 9 times out of ten completely dissapointed when you hear it. Not so with this track you immediately fall in love with it. It's exactly what Oasis would have wanted to sound like 12 years ago when they were playing small gigs at the Boardwalk. Mature, but pulsating. Overall, Oasis have an amazing sounding album thanks largely to the fine musicians each of them are. Ad Zak Starkey to the mix, and 'Don't Believe The Truth' becomes an instant return to rock n' roll form. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, Oasis are never faltered. Even the widely discredited 'Be Here Now' had it's high points. So if Oasis are on form, you better watch out. Andy Bell and Gem Archer give Oasis a writing line up which already includes both Gallagher brothers. Be afraid, be very afraid. Liam's writing is nothing on Noel's, however you can tell that the youngest Gallagher has learnt alot from his brother over the 12 years he has allowed him to rule the lyric roost. 'Loves Like A Bomb' didn't blow me away, however if I listened to it in summer then I would probably think different. It's a song that you can tell when and almost where Liam wrote it, whereas with every song Noel pens you imagibe him in his room at 21 like in the day of Definately Maybe. Liam gives Oasis a new sound, a new direction even, with his lyrics and you can tell that Noel has started to have some belief in him. Noel's lyrical triumph on the album comes from 'Mucky Fingers' more than 'The Importance Of Being Idle' or 'Lyla', with its pulsating beat emphasising everything Noel sings. 'Lyla' is not Oasis' best song in my opinion, and I'd pick alot over it in my top 10. However, it works because the album does not rely on it to be a success. Finally, the beautiful 'Let There Be Love' tops off the album. In one 4 minute outburst, the Oasis lads pour their hearts out in a lyrical gem which started life as a b-side from Noel's vastly impressive repetoire. Originally recorded under the name 'It's a Crime', Noel rewrote it and made it Don't Believe The Truth's Married With Children, but this time hes not saying goodbye I'm going home, hes already there with the wife in froint of the fire. Not vintage Oasis, but what you want from a band who is growing old gracefully. // 8

Overall Impression: The album on the whole is a triumph, a slap in the face for any who doubted Oasis after Heathen Chemistry. They returned to their snarling, rock n' roll heritage with songs like 'Turn Up The Sun' and 'Meaning Of Soul', but has shown signs that they are a mature and overall more rounded band. Noel gracefully gives up some of the songwriting duties, which ultimately leads to his songs becoming masterpieces in their own right. The only problem I would have is the reaction to it. Many wrote off Oasis before the album even came out, but then ever since they were young the Gallaghers have been write offs. Thats what makes them so great now. My other problem is that people are now treating them like absolute royalty. In my opinion, they are still the boys who played to 20 people at the Boardwalk every Thursday night, but to many they're designer. They bring out a song, and they have to buy it. If I heard 'Lyla' in a pub from a live band, I would have left. Only the fact that they are performing it entices me to listen. Noel saves it thought, with an otherwise superb album. One which they would have wanted to make 12 years ago as the unknowns they now most certainly arent. Top stuff, lads. // 9

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: oasis96, on december 09, 2005

Sound: The sound is good. It sounds actually a bit to basic to be Oasis, but that's the new style without Bonehead (rythm) and McGuigan (bass). The one thing that kinda pains me is that Liam's voice isn't the same anymore. He is still great but not smooth and he's definitely struggling a bit. It sounds like he's been singing for an extended period of time and he's getting tired. Like after you've been singing 10 songs already and you're on your 11th. That kind of thing. Another thing that kind of subtracts from the album is that the songs are a little unstructured but again that's the new style Oasis. I still absolutely love this album it's just different. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are great except "let's go find a rainbow" for f--ks sake Liam. "'There'll be no tomorrow' they say well I say 'more's the pity'" now that is outstanding lyricism. And of course "fed up with life in the city, 'cause all the phoneys have blown my mind" amazing. What it means? Well, who knows. Not anyone in the band thats for sure. But it's about what they make you feel, they can be applied to anything. Personally, I can't tell between Andy Bell and Gem Archer's voices, and I don't really care. Their songs are good, certainly, but they're not on the same level as Noel. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, this CD is tops. The best track would be Mucky Fingers if he had more than one chorus, 'cause the chorus is incredible. More of that I say. Let There Be Love is great of course, it's the only song that sounds anything like the old Oasis, 'cause it's been around forever and was part of the old Oasis. Either way I love it. Part Of The Queue has to be the best known song on the album overall though. Keep The Dream Alive is another top song. I don't know if it's just an extension of Let There Be Love, but on the version I have, there is this incredible instrumental with like a few times "can you see it now?" It's f--king crazy everyone. I hope enough Oasis fans are reading this 'cause like unless it's an extension of Let There Be Love and I'm an idiot, not enough people know about this song find a way to get it. It's really worth it, I'm not f--king around. When I said known it's because of this track. It's the best song on the album hands down. I haven't bought this album 'cause it doesn't have this last track on it according to the labels, and I'm not spending 20$ on this CD without that last track. If it did have the last track on it I'd buy it again if I lost it, but I dont, so I'll just keep fastforwarding to 43:44. This album is definitely the start of something big, so get ready everyone. If Liam gets his voice back Greenday and the fucking Killers will be poor in no time. Speaking of Green Day, "Wake Me Up When September Ends" is a straight jack of Rockin' Chair by our boys from Burnage. Noel sould be talking some good shit right now on television. // 8

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 21, 2006

Sound: Well this album is a shock to the system, the first thing you will ask yourself is where is Oasis? Basically you could mistake this for Oasis's version on '60s rock 'n' roll, which is exactly what it is. Why it took them so long to record this between Heathen Chemistry, from when they finished touring that album in March 2003 is a mystery. Because this album is by far the worst Oasis album ever, in fact I'm surprised they sunk this low. They got Dave Sardy to produce the album, the person responsible for producing "System Of A Down" and Bush's dissapointment "Goldenstate." And in America in LA, a British band like Oasis, its just weird. What they need to do if they wanna give the commercial crap away, is get Owen Morris to produce their next album like he did on the first three, because he makes loud records which what Oasis is. "Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants," "Heathen Chemistry" and "Don't Beleieve The Truth" have been major dissapointments. // 1

Lyrics: Terrible! Noels are alright, but Andy Bells in Turn Up The Sun "I carry madness where ever I go, over the border and back to the snow, c'mon, Turn up the Sun, Turn it up for everyone?" Bonkers! Liams are awful too, "I could be your lover, we go on and on," wow Liam what a way to open the song. // 4

Overall Impression: This is a total dissapointment, Oasis have hit rock bottom with this, unless they think selling alot of records and disowning their true fans is worth it. The only decent song on the whole thing is surprisingly the Noel penned tune "Mucky Fingers" but even that was'nt that necceary. After what seemed to be a bit of a spark with "Heathen Chemistry" has now become a total let down, this album goes down like a knackered lift. If this album were lost or stolen, I would'nt even think about buying ever again. // 3

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: penney5, on february 01, 2006

Sound: They have exactly the same sound as they did at the start and now the Manchester rockers rely on gimmicks to make an album. Liam still relies on his heavily nasal whiney voice while Noel delivers an almost (shocking for Oasis) original performance. He should go solo or kick Liam out. This deserves a 5 for Noel mainly. // 5

Lyrics: The Importance Of Being Idle is a good slacker ballad but their lyrics lack enthusiasm and are generally abit meaningless but overall I think that there songwriting skills are quite decent and have some emotion (mainly love). // 5

Overall Impression: It is not their best album but comes second to best after What's The Story, Morning Glory. They have reached the peak of staleness and should give up while they have fans left. They need to smarten up their act chuck Liam out and reach some younger listeners to. I don't own the album but I borrowed and listened to all of it to compose this review apart from the Importance Of Being Idle Oasis have not change have not learnt and never will. // 4

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: willer_32890, on march 24, 2006

Sound: In this album, Oasis tried to go back to their original sound and stop experimenting a lot with sounds and techniques like they did in the past 2 albums (Heathen Chemistry, Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants), they came back to the sound that most of us know and like. This sound can be heard in the tracks Let There Be Love and Turn Up The Sun. The songs in the album seem like they transport you to different seasons like A Bell Will Ring's sound seems to take to a nice summer day while Part Of The Queue takes you away to a cold autumn afternoon. // 10

Lyrics: Like in past albums, Noel Gallaghers wrote most of the lyrics in the album, but this time the band contributed more to the album with songs like Keep The Dream Alive (by Andy Bell) and A Bell Will Ring (by Gem Archer) both really good songs. Overall the lyrics are amazing, they express alot of feelings, a lot of passion and a lot of power. // 10

Overall Impression: The band has grown a lot since their Definetly Maybe days, they're no longer those teenagers from Manchester, their music grew up with them and here is the product of that coming of age, songs like The Importance Of Being Idle and Love Like A Bomb show this. This album tells the music scene that they are a new band ready to face new challenges and a new world. // 10

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: Luke7290, on may 05, 2006

Sound: The sound is probably the most dramatic difference between previous albums, however the change is for good, its Oasis at their most prolific showboating best. It was somewhat unexpected at first but this album is just as addictive as (What's The Story)Morning Glory? and just as good musically as their first two albums if not better. Andy Bell, Liam Gallagher, and GEM Archer all contributed lyrically to this album and have already proven themselves as talented songwriters and adds alot of variety. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics vary immensely as GEM, Andy and Liam all wrote songs for this album as well as Noel Gallagher. This adds variety but whats so special how Oasis have managed to retain those catchy and brilliant lyrics, from the storming 1st single Lyla to the genius of The Importance Of Being Idle to the absolutely immense Guess God Thinks I'm Abel and Keep The Dream Alive. All the lyrics just fit together so well like a beautiful jigsaw. As always the vocals of Liam and Noel Gallagher are still as astounding to listen too as Definitely Maybe or (What's The Story)Morning Glory? simply incredible. // 10

Overall Impression: It's almost impossible to pick the best track but my personal favourites have to be Turn Up The Sun, Mucky Fingers, Lyla, The Importance Of Being Idle, Guess God Thinks I'm Abel, A Bell Will Ring, Keep The Dream Alive and Let There Be Love. Although the influences still show in bands today, there aren't alot of acts or albums who compare with Oasis or their album. It was definitely was of the best albums of 2005, only Coldplay's X&Y or Green Day's American Idiot could challenge their masterclass. Just think about six years ago people were thought Oasis would never be the same again after their bassist, drummers left and after the extremely mediocre Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants, but they've pulled themselves together and created this modern masterpiece, well done boys! // 9

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: kfong03, on september 21, 2006

Sound: After hearing the single Lyla, I decided to purchase Oasis' latest album, "Don't Believe The Truth", and I admit it was a good buy, ther is a lot of good music in this album, and even thought it's not my favourite punk rock, I find the stuff here easy-listening and a softer alternative to what I usually listen to, just for those of you who want to know, my favourites are "Turn Up The sun", "Mucky Fingers", "Lyla", "The Importance Of Being Idle", "Guess God Thinks I'm Abel" and "Let There Be Love", so because half the album are favourites, it should tell you that the sound here is of high-standard. // 9

Lyrics: Oasis writes good lyrics, and they though seem so simple, they don't lack depth, and they fit into the song instead of seeming squished in, it's awesome lyrics, if you think it sucks, try writing stuff like this. Definitely another great thing about the album aside from the music. // 9

Overall Impression: Oasis has had a good long run in the past decade or so, and this album is their hard work and dreams realised, in short, it's clssic Oasis with new refreshing elements in it that gives you something familiar and different at the same time. This is a must-have for Oasis fans, a must-consider for music fans, and a must-get-another-one for me if I were to loose this album. // 10

Don't Believe The Truth Reviewed by: Peter Kroeger, on may 18, 2007

Sound: To start of: This album is severely underrated. It tops a lot of albums that made the top of the charts in 2005. OAsis has a way of letting the music flow into eachother. All instrumentes get togetehr at one point. Soemthing that happens in Turn up the sun. A beautiful song with an even more beautiful guitar riff. It's a songs that makes your mind stand still for a moment and let it get taken over by the music. They've made this album one of their best works during the ages. People thought they could never top an album like (What's The Story) Morning Glory. But this one was getting really close if you ask me. // 9

Lyrics: The Liam brothers have a different sound. Liam's voice follows the music. It has a annoying (in the good sense for once) thing to it. It is perfect for the music that Oasis brings. However when they want a song to hit the heart like 'The Importance Of Being Idle' Noel will take control. Noel shows the listeners what an amazing voice he has and that he is as good as his brother. In my opinion soemtimes even better. The words to the music stay the same. Nothing world-moving but straight to the point. // 9

Overall Impression: You want a good album? Take this one. They have had their time of doubts. No one believed in OAsis anymore after 'Be Here Now' and 'The Masterplan'. But they proved with this album that they are still masters of writing songs. Even though the worst OAsis song ever (imo) is on it (referring to 'Mucky fingers') this album is something the GAllagher-brothers should be very proud of. It show they haven't lost their touch in making music and they still have much to show us. // 9

More Oasis reviews rating latest review
+ Time Flies... 19942009 10 04/18/2011