Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants Review

oasis: Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants
Released: Feb 29, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Pop/Rock, Britpop, British Trad Rock
Standing on the Shoulder of Giants isn't really the debut of the new, post-Guigsy/Bonehead lineup.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 8.3
 8.2
 8.4
Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants Reviewed by: Stuarttt-1, on june 18, 2008

Sound: All together, this is a very different Oasis album. Oasis maintain their swagger and self belief, but this album is a lot more psychedelic and experimental. There is also signs of electronica shining through. Noel has stated that he "worked harder on that album than anything before and anything since." Oasis had lost two founding members, (Bonehead and Guigsy), and hired a new producer (Mark Stent) to replace Owen Morris, so this album is much different from 'Definitely Maybe', '(What's The Story) Morning Glory?' and 'Be Here Now'. It is easy to see a more mature sound here. Songs such 'Go Let It Out', 'Who Feels Love? ' and 'Gas Panic!' all sum up the change in direction. However, some tracks such as 'I Can See A Liar' fail to inspire. Despite the change however, the main sound of the album is hard not to get hooked on. Definitely a good result of not the easiest of times. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are again different from the previous Oasis albums. I find them an improvement on many previous songs, and are sutable for the new change in style and direction. I found myself hooked on 'Gas Panic!' after hearing the delivery and quality of the lyrics. The drink and cigarettes seem to have taken it's toll on Liam though, his voice has became more gravel-ly and rough which is visible in this album. Noel's voice, however, is strong on tracks such as 'Where Did It All Go Wrong?'. Liam's fist song-writing attempt is on this album, a song called 'Little James'. This is written for his stepson, yet the lyrics on this aren't exactly above par. The way the lyrics are delivered in 'Go Let It Out' helps to create an anthemic, stadium sound. Altogether the lyrics are a more mature attempt, and Oasis have been fairly successful with them. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I regard this as one of my favourite Oasis albums. I find it underrated and surely deserves a place in any Oasis fan's record collection. However, it fails to match up to the standard of 'Definitely Maybe' and '(What's The Story) Morning Glory?'. Tracks such as the thundering 'f--kin' In The Bushes', 'Go Let It Out', 'Gas Panic!' and 'Who Feels Love?' all deserve a listen. I love the way that Oasis can still produce a great album through difficult times with only three members. The tracklisting is great too, with 'f--kin' In The Bushes' opening the album and 'Roll It Over' closing it. I would definitely buy it again if it were stolen. // 9

Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants Reviewed by: shkrmkr, on march 30, 2006

Sound: I have to say that I've just heard this album after a long, long, long time before writting this review. Don't get me wrong, I really really like Oasis for many many years, it is my favourite band. I guess I have heard this album just 2 or 3 times since I bought it in 2000. The reason: it is definitely not the album Oasis promised that were waiting since Be Here Now, and definitely not the best way to "begin the new millenium". I don't think Bonehead and Guigsy leaving the band was the reason this album wasn't so good, in my opinion, it's because they forced everything to release a new album, even the songs. True, they used new sounds, effects, heavier guitars for some songs, even tried some "Hallelujah" chorus (which really sucked and made the music worser), but it didn't really bring anything worth listening to this new album. Even the B-sides weren't what that good. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are just average, they show Noel still can write good songs, but obviously there's one or two songs like "Gas Panic!" or "Who Feels Love?" that save the rest. I couldn't say the lyrics are more mature, but they definitely show another perspective about responsabilities, growing up, sadness, remorse and regrets, and love itself. Also, there are some lyrics that are basically just random ideas, such as "Go Let It Out", "I Can See a Liar", "Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth is". Liam wrote a song for this album, "Little James", his first but that's all I'm going to say. // 7

Overall Impression: SOTSOG is not a bad album, but it was good enough to keep them alive in the music business. I think that's respectable. I hear once in a while that some people say this is the best album Oasis has ever released, but I guess it is just because either this is a very good album (in their opinion), they have bad taste, or they just didn't listen to Oasis before they bought it. It doesn't really matter what the reason is, because Oasis remains as one of the greatest bands ever and that's all that matters. // 7

Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants Reviewed by: eviljoker7075, on august 11, 2004

Sound: This album features some new sounds with some quality sound effects used. The same melodic guitar riffs and screaming noise, just with a more grown up feel. And every now and then there are moments of tranquil easiness, before the enevitable blast of pure Oasis! // 8

Lyrics: This album has produced some of the most memorable lines, and lyrics of Oasis's career. "Who feels love?", those damn kids, doing their business in the bushes. Go let it out! And of course the truely acidic Gas Panic. // 10

Overall Impression: It is noticeable that the overall feel of the album is not quite the same as Definately Maybe or (What's the story) Morning Glory? But it is obvious the spirit of Liam and Noel remains. Still a classic album! // 10

More Oasis reviews rating latest review
+ Time Flies... 19942009 10 04/18/2011