(What's The Story) Morning Glory? Review

artist: oasis date: 09/10/2009 category: compact discs
oasis: (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
Released: Oct 3, 1995
Genre: Rock
Styles: Rock & Roll, Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Pop/Rock, Britpop, British Trad Rock
 Lyrics: 8.3
 9.2
 8.9
 9.4
(What's The Story) Morning Glory? Reviewed by: paintITblack39, on november 17, 2005

Sound: Arguably the best album in the '90s and one of my favorite albums of all time, (What's the The Story) Morning Glory? has all around sound from acoustic to straight rock and roll. This album has everything a British alternative rocker would want. This album has also settled a feud with Blur. Blur was talking crap about Oasis, telling the media they were a much better band. The English media then made a big deal of this and called it "Oasis vs. Blur." Blur was basically the band that were favored my most people. They were the middle classmen that seemed to be the most popular people in high school. Then there is Oasis, people literally called them the bad boys that grew up on the mean streets of Manchester. With high school dropouts and brothers, Liam and Noel Gallagher. It seemed as if Blur were more favorable over Oasis. Then Oasis released (What's the Story) Morning Glory? The album sold more than 4 million singles. It turned out that Oasis won the battle while this album was at number 1 in the charts than any other album in the UK's history. The overall best song is Champagne Supernova. A song that originally shouldn't work out, somehow Oasis took this song, which only had like 7 different lines or so, and turned it in to a masterpiece. Like many Oasis songs, this starts off with an acoustic guitar and many other instruments and it hits the electric hard at the second chorus where everything switches over to distorted guitar. Then comes the famous riff which is short, easy, but great sounding. The songs solo is killer with Paul Weller, of The Jam, stepping in on lead guitar at the second part of the solo. Another excellent song in the album is Don't Look Back In Anger. This is the first time Noel Gallagher has lead vocals in a song, and it turned out to be a brilliant decision. Liam Gallagher had a choice of singing this or "Wonderwall," he chose "Wonderwall" just to piss off Noel. The song has the piano intro from John Lennon's "Imagine" but Noel Gallagher adds a short guitar part in the middle and the end of the intro. Noel puts short guitar riff after every line he sings, which shows how he can play lead guitar and lead vocals at the same time. The lines "So I start a revolution from my bed," is a tribute John Lennon. The song has an amazing solo and following that is the final chorus and a short and sweet riff that Noel plays. When I hear "Today was gonna be the day that they're gonna throw it back to you," I get excited in so many ways. "Wonderwall," a masterpiece by Noel Gallagher had another version of Noel singing it instead of Liam. Noel Gallagher loved this song because it was about his friend-turned-girlfriend, meg. This song has many great lyrics and has a cool acoustic part with the cello. Everything just seemed to work for this song. After all this, Oasis showed how they can kick Blur's ass and how this album should be remembered like a Beatles album. // 10

Lyrics: When lyrics come to mind, I think of Oasis. And it is mainly because of this album which Noel Gallagher is at his best. Liam's voice showed his immaturity and Noel's voice in "Don't Look Back In Anger" showed that Oasis has another singer. In "Hello" at the ending when Noel's backup voice is saying "It's good to be back," you can hear the guitar going along with his voice. // 10

Overall Impression: This album to me compared to a Beatles album and to be more specific, John Lennon. This band is highly influenced on John Lennon, with the piano intro and the tributes. "Hello," "Wonderwall," "Don't Look Back In Anger," "Morning Glory" and "Champagne Supernova" are the songs you must listen to. These songs basically made the album a great one. The best part about this album is how Noel Gallagher's songs are basically about his life, his accomplishments, and his mistakes. Yes, he admits his mistakes and states that you shouldn't do the same things. One thing that bothers me a little is Liam's vioce. Yes, it is much smoother and clearer than his present voice but it shows his immaturity which pisses me off. Yes, I will buy it if this album was misplaced or stolen, in fact I might buy it twice just because I love it so much. // 10

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? Reviewed by: Mask_of_Terror, on january 24, 2006

Sound: For all their current flaws, Oasis have always been able to stay ahead of much competition for their simply amazing earlier work. Their debut album is disputed as the greatest of all time; and their follow up perhaps even greater. What's The Story Morning Glory defined a generation, an era, and a decade. My first impressions are very much of Oasis and their inspirations; Roll With It famed for its Status Quo similarities. Wonderwall is perhaps their most original song; sporting a much slower and less oppressive fair. A use of two small solos split the album into three sections; a fantastic start which in itself is a perfect mini-album; Hello being a great beginning and Don't Look Back In Anger the gorgeous should-be finale, and Hey Now! Just slightly out of place. The second section is less memorable, but is not to be underestimated; Morning Glory is a fantastically Oasis song and Some Might Say pretty much sums up the band in 1995. The finale section has only one song; a true anthem, the true stadium filler Champagne Supernova which offers very much a lighter-lifting moment as the band finished a great work. // 8

Lyrics: While their music follows the guidelines set by their heroes, their lyrics are original and enjoyable; Don't Look Back In Anger may be simplistic (may), yet you don't expect anything less from a song that can claim plain beauty. It is in their slower, quieter songs that the lyrics really shine, and whereas they might not be able to claim brilliance in any song, it is the tracks as a unit that excel. // 8

Overall Impression: Oasis's great album, Morning Glory was made to be enjoyed. Almost like a booty of great songs and influences, it deserves to be experienced and withheld in the greatest of regards. Greatest album of the 90's? Likely. Greatest British Album of all Time? Not far off. // 9

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? Reviewed by: mewert, on september 10, 2009

Sound: (What's the Story) Morning Glory ? tends to create an overblown and extorted sound for a few of its song, and whilst songs like 'Wonderwall', 'Some might Say', 'She's Electric' and 'Champagne Supernova' couldn't be better produced, songs like 'Morning Glory', 'Don't Look Back in Anger' and most notbaly 'Hello' are let down because of their overblown production not bringing out the full potential of the scintillating melodies. Greatly distancing itself from the innocent sound of 'Definitely Maybe', 'What's the Story?' tends to exuberate Oasis as a band full of melodies, stadium swingers, noise, swagger and confidence. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't exactly Bob Dylan, but because of the technique of fittingly putting in words that blend with the music and melody, these songs have become timeless classics. And who needs shakespeare literature skills, when the songs are to be reaching out to anybody from any walk of life, so singing along is not a problem. Liam Gllagher hits his vocal peak on this album; mastering 'Shes Electric' and it's strainable high-notes, perfecting 'Wonderwall' and riding a wave of sweetness in 'Champagne Supernova'. Also, Liams top notch voice in the weepy 'Cast no Shadow' must be comended for its consistent efforts in not missing a note. // 8

Overall Impression: Morning Glory's only flaw is that it plays like a greatest hits album and therefore the songs don't have quite the connection with each other as they did on Definitely Maybe; especially considering the addition of the out-of-place and perhaps unnecessary instrumentals in the tracklisting. But with the consolidation that every song on this album could have been released as a single, the album never fails to impress. Swaggering tunes like 'Morning Glory' and 'Some might Say' perfect enscapulate the band, whilst heartbreakers like 'Wonderwall', 'Dont look back in anger' and 'Champagne Supernova' thrust the band into immortality far beyond the bounds of the Britpop cultural revolution. // 10

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 14, 2004

Sound: the album that made stars out of 2 loud mouth violent beatles fans from manchester and had us all asking who were the brit pop kings. Their second lp (after Definitely maybe) added the 2nd all time great album to 1997 (ok computer being the other.) The album kicks off with the chords to wonderwall, giving fair weather fans a brief glimpse of excitment, before pulling it away and launching into "hello" with its great energy giving distorted chords. Roll with it and wonder wall follow, which need little comment. Don't look back in anger is track 4, and is one of those moments when you are staggered by how far a band has come. The staggering piano which is carried along by lyrics which really cannot be said to be happr or sad. The album continues with some greats like some might say, shes electric and explodes in a5 minute creshendo of morning glory, the album closes with an astonishingly beutifull champagne supernova. // 10

Lyrics: Liam is no pop idol finalist or well trained machine that can hit notes only dogs can hear, hell, you can hear the mancunian in his voice. Yet the way you are familar with his voice, adds almost a comforting factor to these songs. And while Noel isn't the greatest lyricist in the world, the songs do find a place in your heart, itll will take you back to 97, when bars opened later and the yells of "and after all your my wonderwall" chorused from inside. // 6

Overall Impression: No beatles impersonations, no offering fights to blur, no boasting about money, this is oasis at their prime, the good ol days mad for it! // 10

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2004

Sound: The Gallagher brothers have made a great record here. Noel tends to keep it simple on the guitar but nevertheless brilliant. You always find yourself singing along. The songs are catchy. Liams vocals are kept blatent and almost shouted and this adds to the catchiness of the melody. The bass and rhythm guitar help to make the songs thick in texture whilst a lead guitar plays well over the top. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are not Oasis's speciality. They seem to have an obsession with weather and repeat lines about 'Rain' and 'Sunshine'. 'Wonderwall' stands out with the best lyrics. The other songs lack meaning and cannot be related to. They seem to be written purely for the sake of rhyme. Liam and Noel share vocals and they both produce different sounds, both good, and they are both talented. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a classic album. Probably the best that Oasis have done. It contains a number of hits including 'Wonderwall', 'Roll With It', 'Don't Look Back In Anger' and 'Morning Glory'. I love the melodies in the album. I would advise any rock, indie or pop fan to at least consider buying it. I will make sure I always have a copy forever. // 10

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? Reviewed by: god_luvs_a_trya, on june 14, 2005

Sound: It is more mature than their first album. Noel wrote most of the songs on his acoustic guitar which is why they are more melodic rather than riffs. Paul Weller plays bits of guitar on 'Champagne Supernova'. It is a truly classic album! // 10

Lyrics: Noel Gallagher can put across his feelings very well with a mix of qualiy lyrics and melodys. Liam is the main singer, but Noel sings on 'Don't Look Back In Anger'. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definately one of my favorite albums of all time, alomng with 'Definately Maybe'. This is among Oasis' best work and the album never gets old. There are still hard rocking songs such as 'Some Might Say', 'Roll With It' and 'Morning Glory'. The quiter songs hold up just as goodm 'Wonderwall' was a classic strait away and 'Don't Look Back' will never stop gettin bigger. But the stand-out track is Champagne Supernova! It is pure genius! You must buy this album! // 10

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 06, 2005

Sound: Oasis albums are produced so they can be heard in a crowded pub/bar. They play louder than just about any CD put out by a major label. Great for a jukebox but the sound which is compressed beyond belief, comes out badly on a good system. There are no soft parts. With that said I still love this CD; I just wish it didn't sound like an mp3. // 6

Lyrics: The songs all sound like they have been around forever. Even the 1st time you hear one you swear you've heard it all your life. My greatest compliment. // 10

Overall Impression: Many bands have tried to sound like The Beatles and the other greats of the '60s; only Oasis managed to pull it off. I wish they would do a high quality 5.1 mix and turn off the compression but I do understand their reasoning and I am sure I am in the minority. Since I have over 2000 watts in my main room and like to play it loud, their music sometimes comes out louder than a 747 taking off which sucks but soo far no speaker damage. // 9

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? Reviewed by: guitarhead, on december 01, 2005

Sound: The instruments on this album are all thrown together to create a wall of sound on most songs e.g. Morning Glory, Hello. For someone who plays guitar these songs are very hard to decipher certain parts but the sound is excellent. Other songs like Wonderwall and Cast No Shadow have lovely acoustic and orchestral parts that have to be appreciated! Both Noel and Liam sing on the album, I love Liam's voice and the fact that he stretches out his words when he sings. // 9

Lyrics: There are certain albums where lyrics and their meaning are very important. This is not one of those albums. A lot of the lyrics dont make sense (What's The Story Morning Glory?) but Liam's voice is amazing and the whole thing meshes together to create a superb album. // 8

Overall Impression: Although I like Definitly Maybe I prefer this album. It is hard to pick but the best songs on the album are Wonderwall, Champagne Supernova, Cast No Shadow, Some Might Say and Morning Glory. All of the other songs are great too and I can listen to the whole album straight through except for one song called Untitled Track which is just a minute long guitar bit which I don't really like. Excellent album would absolutely buy it again if I lost it. // 10

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? Reviewed by: SuperAnalytical, on february 11, 2006

Sound: Oasis is one of my favorite bands to just drift away to. Their music creates a spacious mind that you can just travel into, much like you can with this CD, "(What's The Story) Morning Glory". Oasis has some unusual, but very unique and beautiful ecclectic sounds. The accumulation of originality in all of their music makes everything on the CD worth giving a listen to. // 9

Lyrics: Noel and Liam Gallagher, despite being one of the worst combinations that could possibly happen in the music business, brothers, works out well vocally. The lyrics make no sense, but definately get meaning once you go on through events in life. The lyrics and music go together nicely, with little areas lacking in support of one another. Skills could be better, but are still enough to get me singing along. // 8

Overall Impression: This CD from Oasis truly sets a mood apart from anyother CD I own. The great thing about this CD is the variety of sounds used to create a layout for the song before it even gets past the first verse. The most enjoyable song on this CD for me is 'Morning Glory'. It would definately be one of the CDs I would repurchase if stolen, lost, or damaged. Truly a magnificent CD. // 10

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? Reviewed by: bluemoon05, on march 28, 2007

Sound: One of the most important British albums of the '90s with so many classics on it it could have been a Greatest Hits album. From the well-known classic Wonderwall, to the harder-hitting Roll With it, this truly is a classic album from start to finish, Varying Ballads and rock songs throughout. Ending on the beautiful and Breath-taking, Champagne Supernova. // 9

Lyrics: Noel Gallagher is well reknowned for his top quality lyrics and this album is no expception, featureing some of his highest points. There are some strange lyrics in songs like Some Might Say(The Sink is full of fishies) but these are outweighed by the beautiful lryics in songs like Cast No Shadow, Don't Lok Back In Anger and the aforementioned, Champagne Supernova. Lyrics like 'Where were you while we were getting high' can get your spine tingling at times and show that Noel realy is a lyrical genius. // 8

Overall Impression: Easily the best brit-pop album ever made and the high point of Oasis' career, a genius that they will never be able to repeat again. The best song on the album for me is the beautiful 'Don't Look Back In Anger'. Beautiful guitars sprinkled all over the song a great chord progression, great singing and beautiful lyrics, truly a masterpiece. There is nothing I really dislike about this album apart from the fact that it has two tracks that are instrumental which great b-sides could have replaces (the masterplan, Anyone?) If it were stolen or lost I would track down the person who stole it get it off them and buy tow other copies so I always have backups of this masterpiece. // 9

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? Reviewed by: Pink Zeptallica, on september 11, 2008

Sound: This album is probably one of the greatest ever created. The sound is really a variety of a lot of things, there are traces of acoustic rock to blues rock. It has a whole Bundle of sounds. I guess they probably would have got some inspiration sounding a touch like some other bands in some songs but that's the way it goes, I don't believe they stole anyone music as people have said. When your coming up with a song there who cares if it sounds like another song. Plus most of the songs are unique and they are what give this album it's own unique sound. // 8

Lyrics: I love the lyrics in this album, the beauty about them was that in almost every song I was able to relate troubles in my life to what they where saying. They are simple lyrics yet extremely effective, some great sing a longs in there. // 9

Overall Impression: Although it does compare to other albums it is more unique than it is similar. My most enjoyable songs from the album where, Roll with It, Don't Look Back in Anger, She's Electric and Champagne Supernova. This album actually has the greats of everything, it stretches into a whole range of musical genres, there's a bit of everything for anyone. I love the melancholy feel throughout the album and I can't say that there is anything I hate about it. If it was lost/stolen I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again! It is defiantly one of the greatest albums of the 90's if not all time. // 10

More Oasis reviews rating latest review
+ Definitely Maybe 9.5 08/21/2014