Slowly We Rot Review

8.7
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Slowly We Rot Reviewed by: Metal_NZ_FTW, on february 02, 2011

Sound: Obituary took the still young Death Metal scene to a whole new level in 1989 with the release of their infamous debut full-length, Slowly We Rot. The album is every bit as heavy, brutal and down-right ferocious now as it was on the day of it's release, blast beats and double bass drumming are in abundance thanks to skill of Don Tardy, riffs are sharp complex and heavy, and some of the solo's absolutely shred. Vocalist John Tardy's (brother of drummer Don) vocals are definitely what set Obituary apart from every other Death Metal act back in the late 80's/early 90's and still do today. Vicious death growls that sound like he's gurgling a throat full of gravel and fierce thrash yells make up the albums brilliant vocal parts. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty typical of Death Metal, focusing mainly on death, gore, blood etc. but they fit well well with the music and John Tardy's brutal vocals take the lyrics to a whole new level of evil. It's not often you find a vocalist who is the stand out member of a Death Metal band but John Tardy certainly is and you only have to listen to the album to see why. // 8

Overall Impression: Absolute classic. Essential for anyone who considers themselves a Death Metal fan. Easily rivals such influential Death Metal debuts like Death's Scream Bloody Gore, Gorgut's Considered Dead and Autopsy's Severed Survival. The stand out tracks on the album for me are Gates To Hell, Internal Bleeding, 'Til Death, Suffocation and the title track. Would I but it again if it got stolen or lost? Hell Yes, if you don't own it I strongly suggest you go out and find a copy as soon as possible. // 9

More Obituary reviews rating latest review
+ Xecutioner's Return 7.2 04/17/2008