The Sunlandic Twins Review

of montreal: The Sunlandic Twins
Release Date: Apr 12, 2005
Label: Polyvinyl
Genres: Indie Pop, Neo-Psychedelia, Lo-Fi
The Sunlandic Twins is an album to leave playing while you're going about your daily business.
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
The Sunlandic Twins Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on april 22, 2006

Sound: Hailing from Athens, Of Montreal's sound, which was once a dreamy, Sgt. Peppers type sound, is now toned down into a laid-back, hip, and soothing sound. The first song of theirs that I heard was "Requiem For O.M.M 2" on my sister's OC soundtrack. After I bought the album, I was floored by their Beatles-ish, and sometimes evne Queen-ish sound. They are certainly an incredible band. // 10

Lyrics: Though they fit the dreamy music well, the lyrics on this album are sometime just bizarre. For example, in "Wraith Pinned To The Mist And Other Games," the singer often repeates the line, "Let's pretend we don't exist, let's pretend we're in Antarctica," which struck me as a strange verse. The singer has a Beatles-influenced voice that he can stretch into an almost Freddie Mercury-ish falsetto. His voice meshes flawlessly with the off-kilter music in the background. // 8

Overall Impression: This Of Montreal album differs greatly from the psychadelic sound in their other albums, which go back as far as 1998. My personal favorite songs are "Wraith Pinned To The Mist And Other Games," "Oslo In The Summertime," "Art Snob Solutions" and "The Actor's Opprobrium." I am astounded by their distinctive sound, and have no real complaints about this great set of songs. If you like original, soft, and relaxing music, then definately check out "The Sunlandic Twins" by Of Montreal. // 9

More Of Montreal reviews rating latest review