Greatest Hits Review

Released: Jun 21, 2005
Label: Columbia
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival
Greatest Hits gathers every one of the band's modern rock radio warhorses into one place.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.1
 9.6
 8.6
Greatest Hits Reviewed by: offspring_punk, on june 22, 2005

Sound: First off let me start this by saying I love The Offspring. I've been waiting a long time for this even if it is mostly already heard stuff. The new song Can't Repeat is really good. Definately The Offspring sound. All the tracks have been digitally remastered in Dolby Digital and sound better than ever. 13 Old songs and Can't Repeat make for a good album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great and a lot of them are good to relate to. The music and lyrics go along really good. Dexter's voice is so awesome and he can hit some really high notes. Noodles and Greg provide some good back vocals. Lyrics are just so kick ass though. A song for pretty much any mood you're in. // 10

Overall Impression: It may not be the best Greatest Hits collection but it's certainly good. I think they should've included all of their singles and maybe another new song or at least a cover. But still a really nice collection with Can't Repeat in the mix. Some of the best songs would have to be Gotta Get Away or The Kids Aren't Alright. Really nice punk sound to both those songs and really good lyrics. This also comes in a DualDisc format with a DVD side. It includes all the songs in Dolby Digital. Also it has a behind the songs segment where Dexter and Noodles talk about the songs. Also, is an acoustic version of Dirty Magic from Ignition. Very good makeover in my opinion. If this got stolen I'd definately get it again and then I'd beat the hell out of whoever stole it and have 2 copies. I suggest you guys go out and get this now. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: fox69, on october 28, 2005

Sound: The Offspring are a great band and this is one of the best greatest hits CD's I've ever heard. All the tracks are very good quality and it just re-affirms that The Offspring are a great band. I reallly like this band and I'm hoping that it this band stay together for years to come. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically they are really talented and I was really happy to hear some new material from them on the album. This band can sing about anything, whether it be about how life goes on ("Can't Repeat"), or troubled kids ("The Kids Aren't Alright"), or about a wannabe white guy ("Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)"). Very good all the way through. // 10

Overall Impression: This is deffinetly a great album an is a must-have for a fan. All the songs are great, but I'd highly recommend "Can't Repeat," "Self Esteem," "The Kids Aren't Alright" adn "Hit That". An overall great album and I hope they keep it up. If you got it, great, if you lose it, buy it again. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 28, 2005

Sound: The trademark offspring sound - loud, fast, raw, funny lyrics, sad lyrics, great guitar riffs. A great punk band. For anyone looking to get introduced to the offspring sound, this is a pretty good CD to get. It contains some of their greatest hits. This CD would be more appropiatly titled "The Offspring songs heard on the radio." // 9

Lyrics: Offspring lyrics vary alot. Sometimes sad, sometimes happy, sometimes ridiculsley stupid and pointless. Some songs will make you laugh your head off. Others will make you cry (just kidding, this isn't emo. But who cries to emo anyway? emo kids. If you're an emo kid, go away. The Offspring aren't your style) others will make you stop and think. Dexter Holland writes excellent lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Okay, here's where I rate the songs on the album, then complain about the songs that arent on the album. 01. Can't Repeat - a new Offspring song. Something we haven't seen since Splinter. Good, right? Exactly right! Man, this song rules! It sounds just their older songs, and gives me confidence that the offspring can come back with another great album 10/10. 02. Come Out And Play - a classic. I can almost guarentee youve heard this. If this song weren't on here, I'd kill myself 10/10. 03. Self Esteem - the big one. Easily The Offspring's most famous song. Excellent 10/10. 04. Gotta Get Away - a great song, catchy and a song I would use to define punk. Also a very fun song to play on the guitar 10/10. 05. All I Want - a decent song, not one of my favorites. To me, it sounds like The Offspring are trying to be something they're not. But, it is a "greatest hit" 7/10. 08. Gone Away - how could this song be any better? Great Riff. Catchy. Fun to sing along to 10/10. 09. Pretty Fly - another famous song 10/10. 10. Why Don't You Get A Job - I dunno, it's okay I guess. Same deal with all I want. To me, it sounds like The Offspring are trying to be something they're not. Pretty funny lyrics, though 7/10. 11. The Kids Aren't Alright - this is a very good song 10/10. 12. Original Prankster - hilarious. Catchy. If you listen closely, it kind of sounds like "Low Rider" 10/10 13. Want You Bad - best song off "Conspiracy Of One" you may recognize it from American Pie 2 10/10. 14. Defy You - in my opinion, not very good. At all 5/10. 15. Hit That - OK song, pretty catchy the first few times you hear it 9/10. 16. Can't Get My Head Around You - well, can't get my head is good. But, being the last song, there is a secret song afterwards: a cover of the Police's "Next To You." A good song, why couldnt it have been a normal track 10/10. So, there you go. There you go. Here're the songs that should've been included: Million Miles Away, Bad Habit, I Choose, Cool To Hate, Meaning Of Life, Da Hui. Overall, a good introduction to The Offspring. // 8

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2005

Sound: The sound over all is pretty impressive. The voices fit right over the background sounds in most cases and it all fits together. The new single "Can't Repeat" from their yet to come album is very impressive as far as their music goes. It sounds like a new era for them, it's not like the rest of their stuff. Some of the songs have more of a hip hopish beat to them even though there are actual vocals there. The last album "Splinter" was a big improvement from the original sound, for example the guitar riffs are alot more crisp and clear. Theyve come along way and as they've prgoressed through each album on the CD, the sound improves. Its a mix between the recording methods and the ability to write even better as time goes on. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics could have had something done with a little polishing up when they were produced. On the dvd which is on the flip side of the dvd, sathe lead singer, in an interview, mentions that for their first hit CD "Smash" he was "under the gun", because he was recording vocals for 2 songs every night just a few weeks before the debut of the album. Some of the lyrics make no sense but others sound like a lot of thought was put into them like the single "The Kids Aren't Okay." This relates to how the neighborhood they grew up in had changed since they once lived there and what things have gone horribly wrong. The interview also concludes that the new single is based on the fact that the future is all in front of you and you cant just stop and take a break. Overall though I really liked the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: The Offspring's first albums really blew it's audience away and them as far as sales go. Major hits such as "Come Out And Play" and "Self Esteem" just go to show how much effort they pushed into this first album and it really got them off to a great start. Since the album "Ixnay On The Hombre" hey have tried different styles like a type of song that Bad Religion might write. Another type they tried was an older sounding song called "Gone Away" If you ask me it sounds alot like new wave more than the Offspring. I love the guitar riffs although some could be a little more complicated. Theres only 2 guitar solos in the whole album but we are talking punk rock so it doesnt matter. And they are still writing music to this very day so obviously people love the music. If I were to ever lose this thing I would be out to buy it again, and I would also think about getting the new DVD that is soon to be released faeturing 14 of their videos. Overall this album rocks! If had to pick one word to describe this album, that would have to be it. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: Briteless, on july 04, 2005

Sound: This band has done so much for modern punk rock. This album is just a basic outline of what the band is capable of. This album includes some great chart toppers such as; Pretty FLy For A White Guy, Original Prankster, The Kids Aren't Alright, Self Esteem, and many more spanning their 20+ year career. // 10

Lyrics: Their lyrical style changes between each song, from comical (Pretty Fly For A White Guy), to a sad, serious subject (The Kids Aren't Alright), but they still write some great lyrics no matter what. Dexter has a great voice, and busts out great lyrics no matter what the mood. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely one of the best albums on the market right now. As said, it includes some great favourites, and any Offspring fan/punk rock fan, will love this collection. I hate nothing about this album except they could have added just a few more songs. If it were stolen/lost, I would hunt down the sunnavab--ch that stole my CD, beat him down with a baseball bat, and hang his ass from a traffic sign, and let the birds eat him alive. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: JaMeZtEr, on august 01, 2005

Sound: There are many styles of music in this record. The songs are the singles from pretty much all the albums, and their music has evolved over the years. There's also a new song called "Can't Repeat" and it's pretty good. To name a few other songs; Pretty Fly, Original Prankster, Come Out And Play, Why Don't You Get A Job, The Kids Aren't Alright and Want You Bad (these aren't all the songs, I'm just naming a few). In my opinion these songs are great! What a coincidence that these are my favorite Offspring songs. There's also a bonus track, which is the WiseGuy's remix of The Kids Aren't Alright. I think its pretty crap because its like a dance version of it. Oh and mine (maybe not yours) had a hidden track, but I don't know this song. (Incase your CD does have it, its around 5:50 of Kids Aren't Alright WiseGuys Remix). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome in most songs. My favorite lyrics are those to "Want You Bad." They're pretty hilarious. Most of the lyrics on this album are really meaningful, such as those to "Kids Aren't Alright" and "Original Prankster". "Why Don't You Get A Job" has pretty good lyrics too! But don't think that this is the most meaningful CD in the whole wide world, because some lyrics on this album are pretty meaningless (even if the song itself kicks major ass). The lead vocals by Dexter and backup vocals by Noodles are pretty good too. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a very good album. I can't really compare to any albums because this is a compilation of their songs over a long period of time (10 years maybe? ). But if I took into consideration another band's songs over 10 years, I would say maybe Millencolin and NOFX would be pretty similar (not so much of NOFX). The most impressive songs I've ever heard in this album would be "Want You Bad" and "Original Prankster." I love everything about this album. All the songs on this album are great! In the booklet of the album in the case, it shows all the album art to the singles, and they look totally awesome. If it were to be stolen or if I lost it, I guess I would either buy it again or, if I had the money, all of the albums by The Offspring. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: headbanginroach, on august 03, 2005

Sound: The Offspring greatest hits album is exactly what the title says it is - Greatest Hits. The only problem is the album begins with their newest song "Can't Repeat," and then goes back in time to "Come Out And Play," and then moves forward and goes through the rest of their singles. I would have put "Can't Repeat" at the end so the consumer can see how much they have matured. // 8

Lyrics: "Can't Repeat" is The Offspring looking back on the years and saying that time has been good to them, but they're looking towards the future. Perhaps hinting that the band is far from over. // 10

Overall Impression: Being a greatest hits, it would be stupid to compare it to other albums. The most impressive songs on the album in my opinion are "Can't Repeat," "The Kids Aren't Alright," and "Gone Away," which I think the verse sounds like Alice In Chains "Rooster." If this CD were stolen, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: $limJim, on march 20, 2006

Sound: This CD shows a classical, alterntitive music style such as the style of Red Hot Chili Peppers in the beggining of the album with there classic songs such as Come out and play, self esteem, and all I want. Near the middle is their emotional proof that they are doing more than just the same old songs in a different key with their hit single gone away, and carry away with the modern alternative song styles with their songs such as origanal prankster, hit that, and their most popular songs, the kids arent alright and pretty fly for a white guy. This album was made as proof that they arent letting their old age kill them off musically. They created a new song for this album titled cant repeat which is probably of an all new kind of musical style that must be described as original. Also contained on this CD is a dual disc, DVD side. This side contains an all new acoustic song called dark magic, and an interview with the guitarists dexter and noodles where they share the motivation and stories of their songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrical creation of the songs were of different impression through the entire song mostly based on real life problems. Paranoia, relationships, family, less-fortunate's, (people with a not as well turn out in life) and even cultural differences. Any of those who know of dexter, the singer, don't need explaining, but those who don't, Dexter is a fabulous singer with a voice so unique, it bassically pattens the songs to never be covered. He is so original that any other lyrical genious would be boo'd of the stage if even starting to sing his lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This album does not compare to any other band. The closest band might be Red Hot Chili Peppers, however, there's still quite a difference. All the songs are great however, the kids arent alright stood over the rest with the lyrical enthusiam, the guitar solo and intro, the drum rythymes, and the bass's bridge made this a song every instrument can enjoy. Also I must give credits to the amazing guitar effects making it go from a heavy distortion to a technotic, keyboard-sounding melody. If I were to lose this I would most definantly buy it again. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: punkrocker25, on may 10, 2007

Sound: I love the offspring, a great punk rock sound. All of their albums are great, which lead to this greatest hits collection. I bought the dual-disc version which comes comes with a DVD on the second side. This includes all the songs in 5.1 surround, as well as an interview with Dexter and Noodles where they explain all the songs while playing them acousticly, and they play an acoustic version of the song 'dirty magic' from their 1992 album ignition. They picked a handful of songs ranging from smash to splinter, although their are so many worth it that they probably could have fit more onto the cd, or at least a second disc possibly. Dexter Holland has a unique voice that many will like, but not all. Good guitar, ranges from medium speed rock (gone away) to a rock/pop/techno sound (hit that), but most follow the same punk rock style, as well as a new song created just for this album 'Can't Repeat' and a hidden track 'Next to you' following 'Can't Get My Head Around You'. // 10

Lyrics: All the songs on this album have great lyrics, which you can only expect from a greatest hits. In my opinion Dexter Holland is a great singer and really suits the offspring sound so well, not all like his voice but that is just personal preference. The new song 'Can't Repeat' has really good lyrics too, which is a good sign for their upcoming album this summer/fall. Their lyrics talk about general personal or world topics/issues, but the offspring are really good and known to add their own little touch to their songs' lyrics, a great example 'Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)'. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a good album, and good song choice in terms of the hits, but true offspring fans would know the songs from all of their albums obviously. The offspring are hard to compare to other bands because of their unique power chord sound and dexter holland voice, but if you like punk rock music in general you will love the offspring and this album is a good place to start. I find the dual-disc is really worth it even though you don't get a whole lot of video, the surround sounds great, all the songs are really good, definitely recommended. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: allanon88, on june 27, 2005

Sound: The Offspring's music has always sounded good and this CD has compiled the best songs in 14 great tracks. Dexter and Noodles are both creative and entertaining guitarists. The only bad thing is (like most punk bands) that they use mostly power chords. I guess that doesnt really matter because they still make it sound good. The new single "Can't Repeat" is one of the best Offspring songs I have ever heard. The songs picked were probably the best songs that you could choose for a greatest hits CD, but I was disappointed when I discovered that there was no songs from "Ignition." What is with that? I was expecting a revise of "LAPD" or "Dirty Magic." This didn't really bring the enjoyment level of the cd down though. // 10

Lyrics: Dexter is one of my favorite vocalists of all time because of his energy and emotion when singing. The Offspring's lyrics have always been creative and original. The lyrics always fit the music pretty good. The whole band keeps rythm pretty good on all instruments and lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: I like this album because it has a nice mix of old Offspring with with new stuff. The right songs were picked for the album. I would recommend this album to everyone who likes punk music. I am disappointed that there are no songs from "Ignition," but they can only fit so many songs on one CD I guess. I would recommend buying the whole collection of Offspring CDs, its worth the cash, trust me. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: RockerX275, on june 29, 2005

Sound: The sound is a sound that semidefined the times whether people including the band knew. People could relate very very well as could I. It's a simple sonic gasp of fresh but good music. The songs are simple but they are classic each one. Now times that by 14 and add 5.1 surround sound along with commentary and you have a perfect disc. Simplicity is good and punk is simple. This is only the perfect 1/2 of the music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were and still to the day are good. This mix of lyrical content may not describe the band at all, but they put you in a first person view of some of the people they knew. Classics such as Self Esteem was about some of the people that had lives like this: down ass days. Gotta Get Away is about being paranoid as said on the dual disc commentary; which fits the lives of many. Maybe Dexter spent little time on them but for that you have the other perfect 1/2 of possibly the greatest punk band around. // 10

Overall Impression: I was stunned by the content of everything. The music had a good volume at which you know. The lyrics were great. Put great and great and you have a super great disc. The only problem I had was how they packaged the collection. They left out Dirty Magic (another simple Offspring classic) and it would have been easier for 2 discs as in a DVD and a CD. I see its so you don't get 2 discs and line the internet with the downloads or something. Overall I love the disc both sides. If I had to buy it again due to one of my friends screwin it up I would buy it in a heart beat. The other problem is me trying to get it out of my CD player for something else. I just won't let it go.. Lol great cd for anyone who loves the Offspring. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: Ixany_Smash, on june 29, 2005

Sound: Let me start by saying I've liked Offspring since '96 and this collection is predictable, all Offspring's songs sound perfect, the timing is excellent, fast drums, everything on this CD sounds great, especially 'Next To You' and 'Can't Repeat'. // 10

Lyrics: I ain't gonna comment on the lyrics of the older songs as well all know them, but as for Can't Repeat and Next To You (Police cover) Can't Repeat's lyrics are great, everything you could expect from Offspring, it was from the Splinter sessions and never made it on Splinter. The sound overall is quality. // 10

Overall Impression: This album rocks, as a Offspring fan the anticipation was overdrive, especially the live performances, and dirty magic acoustic, and in response to wrote "Why weren't there any songs off Ignition and S/T?" Well those records weren't popular and they didnt release any singles from them, so they only took there 'Hits' and put them on the record. Anyways this album rocks. Everybody go get this now! You won't regret it. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: llama_slap, on november 21, 2005

Sound: To me, The Offspring always had good singles, but the other songs on their CDs were horrible. It's ususally the other way around. So I was very happy to see them releasing a greatest hits album. These songs are great, and the band is great at changing their sound. What I mean is they can go from a fast-paced song like "Want You Bad" to a slower, more lyrically inclined song like "Gone Away." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are great at times, but stupidly silly sometimes. They fit the music and mood good though. You've probably heard most of these songs before (unless you live in a box), so you know what kind of music The Offspring write. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great album, and I would suggest buying it even if you have only heard a couple of Offspring songs. I like every song, some more than others, but I still like all of them. That is how good it is. If it were stolen, heck yes I would buy another one, and I hate buying CDs twice. So maybe I'd ask for it for a gift or something, but if you're unsure, go buy this CD now. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: snakeyes9510, on may 24, 2006

Sound: This is a greatest hits album. The Offspring have been around for some while, and have produced some hard hitting, punk rock songs and if you want all their hits, this is the CD to buy. Songs like Why Don't You Get a Job and Original Prankster are unforgettable and with this CD, you can get those songs and even more. Very good song selections too, and it also includes a new single Can't Repeat. // 9

Lyrics: Me personally, I liked the earlier Offspring lyrics, from Americana and before. Those seemed like true Offspring hits. For me, since Splinter, they haven't quite been able to get it together. Sure, there are songs like (Can't Get My) Head Around you that stand out but really, the best vocals and lyrics are from track 1-9 which only leaves out 4 tracks but those four tracks came from 2 different albums whick kind of sums up what I have just said. They should have released this album after Americana came out. // 6

Overall Impression: Offspring have been to the top, and now are somehwere near the bottom. This CD really reminds you of what this band was capable of and has amazing hits on it. If you are a first time Offspring listener, difinatly buy this CD before you purchase any other. Then you can see what albums interest you, because alot of their good songs aren't on here. I would definately buy this album again, just because I used to dress like the Fly White Guy. // 8

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: Bozjoarmstrong, on june 28, 2006

Sound: The Offspring are famous for their individual sound of hard thrashed riffs a rattling bassline and the powerful vocals of Dexter Holland. Each selected song for this album illustrates this fantastically using an irrestible hook in the new track Cant Repeat and that fantastic punk rock sound in Come Out And Play and the superb Pretty Fly For A White Guy. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics to songs like Hit That and Come Out And Play are sometimes less than obvious but are very clever and have a important story behind them. The lyrics to Pretty Fly force you to giggle as everyone knows a guy like the idiot theyre talking about. But the way the lyrica are sung is much more impressive as it is very unique and you always know when you hear an Offspring song. // 9

Overall Impression: The Offspring are one of the original punk bands so it is sad to think they will be quitting it soon but the Greatest Hits album is a superb way to sign out. It is a compalation of most things great the band have ever done and brings together some of the gretest punk songs of all time including my personal favourites Pretty Fly For A White Guy, Come Out And Play and the new one Can't Repeat. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: Oldreich87, on july 26, 2008

Sound: This CD rules! I can't say anything bad about any of The Offspring's albums. What I really Like about the Greatest Hits album is the insane sound. Each song has a good mixture of powerchords, octaves, hammer-ons, pull-offs, soloing, and sometimes harmonics. You can't forget the great vocals by Dexter Holland. The song that his vocals stood out the most in was "Can't Repeat". Can't Repeat is the first track off the album and it is a new Offspring song and it is getting very popular already! The worst song on the album in my opinion is "Defy You". I am not digging it at all. It is way to soft and could use some more energy. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics were also pretty good. The thing that I really like about the lyrics is how catchy they are. They are kind of funny in some songs like "Why Don't You Get A Job?" and "Original Prankster. Those two songs are the ones that I find most catchy off the album and have the most clear lyrics. In "Why Don't You Get A Job", the lyrics are clearly stating that some guy is getting pissed off and he keeps telling his girlfriend to get a job. Later on in the song it changes around. In other songs I have to study the lyrics a bit to understand what the song is about but that dosen't matter because The Offspring is great with Lyrics and Dexter Holland is amazing at singing them. // 10

Overall Impression: All I can say is wow! This CD blew me away. All of their best songs were on it. Everyday I am playing along with these songs on guitar or just singing along with them. The songs that I love the most are "Can't Repeat", "Come Out And Play", "Self Esteem", "Gone Away", "Why Don't You Get A Job?", "The Kids Aren't Alright" "Original Prankster", and "Want You Bad". I love this CD. I would recommend it to any out their who wants to buy more Offspring stuff. // 10

More Offspring reviews rating latest review
+ Days Go By 8.5 06/27/2012