Ixnay On The Hombre Review

9.5
 9.7
 9.2
Ixnay On The Hombre Reviewed by: Truth Seeker, on july 05, 2006

Sound: Upon making a controversial decision to switch to a major label instead of staying with the independent Epitaph, the Offspring bring to us their major label debut, Ixnay on the Hombre. Although expected to be another "Smash," that is exactly what it is not, which is why it is good. Who wants to hear the same album over and over again? Unlike its successful predecessor, Ixnay uses a variety of different sounds, and is headed more in the general rock direction, rather than punk with the exception of a few songs (I.e., "All I Want" and "the Meaning of Life" which fall into the punky category). This album spans from having a more heavier sound with songs like "Me and My Old Lady," "Gone Away" and "Amazed" to a more upbeat one with songs like "I Choose." The variety is great, and makes it interesting to listen to more than once. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics seem to be rather unorthodox, which is not a bad thing. It has its lyrical moments, with songs like "Amazed" (now my second favorite Offspring song) and the wonderfully sarcastic "Cool to Hate" and "Disclaimer" (which has a nifty cameo by Jello Biafra). However, it has its low points too. "Don't Pick it Up," despite it's upbeat ska rhythms, makes me want to cringe. It seems like Dexter was trying too hard to be funny, and it just doesn't work. They are still poetic and still standard Offspring, and still vary with songs about lust ("Me and My Old Lady"), loss ("Gone Away"), the consequences of taking drugs ("Mota"), alienation ("Amazed") and not letting others tell you how to live your life ("I Choose," "The Meaning Of Life," "All I Want"). But other Offspring albums have better lyrics. Although I will once again reiterate that Dexter does not have the world's greatest voice, this album does show off the range that he has instead of staying in one vocal area, while at the same time, keeping his distinctivly flat voice. I found that rather interesting, and on this album, it works very well. // 7

Overall Impression: Although it is drastically different from previous albums, Ixnay in itself, is a solid effort. Instead of sticking to one style of music, it would seem as if the band has expanded on their style. The lyrics aren't too terribly bad, and in some cases, "actually make you think" about certain things, even if you didn't the first time you heard the song. Smash is still my favorite Offspring album, but, with an album like this, you can't help like it. // 8

Ixnay On The Hombre Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 02, 2004

Sound: It's A Pretty Difficult Job Following Up An Album Like Smash. But The Offspring Did It. Not Only Did They Match It But (Arguably) They Bettered It. The Production Is Of Higher Quality, And Noodles' Guitarwork Is Nothing Short Of Amazing, Ranging From The Usual Drill Of Buzzsaw Guitar Sound (All I Want) To The Amazing Emotive Playing (Gone Away), Nothing Is Left To The Imagination. They Have Taken A Lot Of The Familiar Sounds Of Smash e.g. (Change The World - Genocide, Don't Pick It Up - What Happened To You) And Ron Shows That He Can Drum To Them Fast Songs (MOTA, All I Want) And Come Up With Good Beats That Fit Perfectly Into Each Song. Although The Bass Playing Doesn't Really Stand Out, The Offspring Still Wouldn't Sound The Same Without It. Overall It's A Sound That Can Go 12 Rounds With Any Other Punk Album You'd Care To Mention. // 10

Lyrics: Yet Again Dexter Holland Shows His Supreme Songwriting Abilities, From Love (Me And My Old Lady) Or High School Life (Cool To Hate) To What I Think Are The Best Lyrics I've Heard, Loss (Gone Away). The Lyrics Tend To Fit In Perfectly With The Music, And With A Voice Like His I Can't Find Anything To Criticise. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall This Album Is Impressive, It Is Arguably The Best Album They've Put Out. Boasting Their Hugely Popular Single 'All I Want', And Several Other Singles (Meaning Of Life, I Choose etc.) And The Best Track They Boast In My Opinion, 'Gone Away'. As Much As It's A Great Album, It'd Probably Be Greater If They Didnt Take Some Of The Material Off This Album From The Previous Album (Examples In Sound) If I, God Forbid, Lost This Album, I'd Definitely Buy It Again. Buy This Album, Now. // 10

Ixnay On The Hombre Reviewed by: Offspringer2004, on april 21, 2004

Sound: This is their best cd in my opinion. The music is awesome! Noodles' guitar sounds completely different from all of their other albums. The music seems to be more involved than in the previous cd's. I heard that this cd flopped because it was more alternative than punk, but I thought it was great that they did a little experimenting while also managing to sound like themselves. It's also got deeper meanings in a lot of the songs, unlike the others which were more political. Their future albums continue to flow this way. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album don't even compare to the lyrics on his others. They blow them away. The best ones are in Gone Away. Everything about that song is amazing...it all flows together perfectly. The reason this song means so much to me is that I know what it's about. Dexter lost the mother of his daughter in a car accident and he delivers the way he feels straight to the point, while remaining poetic. This song actually makes me cry sometimes. Another great song is "Amazed" where he is talking about trying to make a change in himself. My personal favorite line is "And when you know you can't relate to one more shiny face your heart breaks" that is the best line I have EVER heard. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the Offspring's best album. It's got some great moshing songs and some emotional ones. I would never lose this cd...but if someone stole it I'd go out and buy two. haha. // 10

Ixnay On The Hombre Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 23, 2004

Sound: This is arguably The Offsprings best album ever. Every sound adds the experience. Whether its Noodles guitar, the drums or the subtle bass. Every single song on this disc was great. Whether its the metal-ish "I Choose", the sad "Gone Away" or the high-school minded "Cool to Hate" (that is so me). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics. What can I say about them 'cept they kick arse. The lyrics fit perfectly with the song. They never sound out of place, never. The first time just listen to the cd, let is play. The second time really listen to and think about what Dexter is saying. Dexter, as usual, is great. His singing is perfect, he says every thing just right into the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: This is their best album, being followed by Smash. The most impressive songs a hard one. I liked every song but if I have to pick out favorites I would say: "Cool To Hate", "I Choose", "Gone Away", "Mota", "Me and My Old Lady" (hideously gross, but good), "Amazed", Don't Pick It Up", "All I Want." // 10

Ixnay On The Hombre Reviewed by: j-pal, on may 01, 2006

Sound: Ok, it's late to review this album, but I couldn't leave it without even say a word. Everyone knows that Offspring is mostly a punk band, and maybe the best punk band nowadays. But, in this record they tried to show their rock side, and they did it very well. Ixnay On The Hombre is a great rock album with very pop guitar riffs and of course the well-known style of Offspring. I believe that this gorgeous record is the best of Offspring. I think it is even better "Smash" and "Americana". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were absolutely stunning.I would advice you only to listen to "Gone Away". Then you could understand what I mean.Dexter created again and there isn't any doubt about it. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive song is "Gone Away" with great riffs and extremely great lyrics.Other nice songs are "Mota" and "Amazed" which are more old Offspring and lastly the song called "I choose" which reminds us the also well-known pop side of Offspring. This is a "must" record for every fan of Offspring or a punk-rock fan. If it was stolen, I would certainly buy it again. // 10

Ixnay On The Hombre Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 16, 2006

Sound: The Offspring is my favorite band, and this cd is really amazing. With songs like "I Choose" and "Way Down The Line" the cd has a very cool punk rock sound to it. The lead singer said that this was one of his favorite albums, so you know it has to be good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great on this CD. While "Intermission" has hilarious lyrics and so does "Cool To Hate," the band also has an extremely meaningful song, "Gone Away." The lyrics blend perfectly with the music and Dexter sings better than on any other CD. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're up for a different sounding cd with awesome guitar riffs and nice lyrics you should definately buy this CD. The best songs on here are "I Choose," "All I Want," "Gone Away" and "Change The World." I love how the songs on this album seem to go together and get a definate message across. I hate the intro to "Me And My Old Lady," that kinda ruins the song for me. If I lost this CD, I would stop whatever I was doing and go buy it again. This is the greatest cd ever made. If you don't own it already, go buy it now. // 10

More Offspring reviews rating latest review
+ Days Go By 8.5 06/27/2012