Smash Review

9.4
 9.3
 9.4
Smash Reviewed by: Truth Seeker, on may 17, 2006

Sound: The Offspring are truly an interesting bunch. Metal inflicted pop-punk. Who'd've thunk? Yes, it is well known that their music is relatively simplistic, but it works, and this is obviously apparent on this album. Starting with a flurry of drums on "Nitro (Youth Energy)," Smash is gritty and raw, creating for the listener a mood of pure adrenaline, while appealing to one with a short attention span, like myself. Although different stylings are used, i.e., middle eastern style riffs on "Come Out And Play," a psuedo-ska rhythm on "What Happened To You?" and even grunge, a la "Self-Esteem," it can get a little repetitive after awhile. Now, that is not necessarily a bad thing, considering the style of music that the band plays. They were just doing what they do best, and as I said earlier, it works. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, this tends to be one of their stronger releases. It attacks various aspects of society, such as, youth/gang violence, drugs, the government, following things blindly, alienation, and even bad drivers. Something that is usually done in punk rock. Yet, on a different note, topics such as paranoia, relationships gone bad, and individuality are touched upon. It is meaningful, and make the listener think. Although not delievered with the world's greatest voice (Dexter's nasally, flat vocals, may be endearing, but, let's be honest: the dude can't sing all too well) they instill some thought into the listener, and I will gladly pick any song from this album over, say, the more comical "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)" any day. // 10

Overall Impression: In closing, I will admit the following: of all the punk/pop-punk/punk revival bands out there, the Offspring is one of my absolute favorites. Listening to Smash, only shows why. This pure, undeniable testimony to punk gives the listener an adrenaline rush, while also, on occasion, provoking some thought. I love that factor of this album, I like music that makes me think. One of the few ways to make it better, would have been to release "Dirty Magic" on this album rather than Ignition (the song probably would not have fit in with the rest of the album, but, it is my favorite Offspring song, and to put it on my favorite Offspring album, would've been sublime). I rarely say this about any album that I own, but if something were to happen to this disc, I would immeadiately go out and buy it again: it's just that darn good. // 10

Smash Reviewed by: robtallica, on february 07, 2006

Sound: There is a difference between The Offspring's earlier albums and the more recent ones. This one, along with the likes of Ignition, has a much more raw sound compared to the clean-cut tracks on Splinter or Conspiracy Of One. There's a good mix of really fast tempo songs such as Genocide, Nitro, and It'll be a long time, and the slower, more powerful ones like Gotta Get Away and Self Esteem. I think if you want a good example of The Offspring's overall sound and their roots, this is where you should begin. Musically I really rate this album. It certainly isn't virtuoso stuff, but it's just that 'Offspring twang' thats so easy to identify. The drummer, Ron Welty, keeps up a furious pace throughout the album, The bassist, Greg K, is probably most recognisable on Self Esteem, and he keeps every song moving from the background (where I think he likes to be anyway)! The guitar playing by Dexter and Noodles may not be the most outstanding you'll ever hear, but it's very quick, very punk and not at all pop. The Offspring keep it simple, with regards to their music, but for the genre they're in, that'a all they need, and it works. It doesn't need to be flashy or anything, just kick ass. // 9

Lyrics: The lead singer of Offsping, Dexter Holland has a very unique voice. It's a kind of high-pitched wail, but that doesn't really do him justice, as he produces a great sound. The way he sings fits perfectly in with the guitars, and I think his voice is one of the reasons why their songs are so recognisable. Dexter's voice is such that although some of the subject matters of the song are almost downbeat, his voice is really upbeat and positive! The lyrics aren't too complex, and Offspring always seem to produce a catchy chorus somewhere along the line and this album is no exception, with Gotta Get Away, Genocide, Self Esteem and Come Out And Play being the most notable ones for me. This album is great for singing along to when pounding down the motorway in your car (doing the speed limit of course)! // 10

Overall Impression: For me, the Offpring are in a category of their own, their sound always seems original and identifiable, so therefore I only really compare this to their other albums, and I think Smash probably just beats Ignition and Americana to the top spot. I think it would make a great first Offspring album if you were just getting into them, which is what happened with me. It was my second Offspring album, and I bought it as I knew the song Self Esteem, but found other classics on it, with Gotta Get Away being my favourite. With the huge majority of albums you buy, there's always one or two songs you're not too keen on, but I really don't dislike anything on this album, honestly. It's one of my top five albums. // 10

Smash Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 23, 2003

Overall Impression: Track Listing - 1) Time To Relax 2) Nitro (Youth Energy) 3) Bad Habit 4) Gotta Get Away 5) Genocide 6) Something To Believe In 7) Come Out And Play 8) Self Esteem 9) It'll Be A Long Time 10) Killboy Powerhead (Originally A Didjit's Song) 11) What Happened To You? 12) So Alone 13) Not The One 14) Smash The album starts off with the words "Ahh It's Time To Relax" But don't take ot seriously, because through the album you'll have no time to relax and just chill while listening (Apart from maybe's the end where theres a little break of silence between smash and the secret track). The album is a good mixture of song types (e.g. fast punk rock to slow punk rock). The stand out tracks for me would have to be 'Bad Habit' 'Come Out And Play' 'Self Esteem' 'What Happened To You?' And 'Smash' I would highly reccomend any one who loves there punk rock music to buy this album. // 10

Smash Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on november 26, 2003

Sound: I have every Offspring record, and I have to admit I prefer the older sound. "Smash" was the first rock album I ever bought, and for this I am greatful to the Offspring for making a good album, or I might be listening to Justin Timberlake and the like. The sound on this album represents, for me, the transitional period in the Offspring's career. The first two albums were all about punk and raw guitar sounds, whereas "Americana" and the more recent "Conspiracy of One" take a new, 'poppier' direction. The music is still undoubtedly good, but this particular album manages to balance out the melody with the aggression. There's even a bit of ska! For the most part, however, this is a punk album, and a damn good one at that. // 10

Lyrics: For me, the Offspring have always had the kind of lyrics that never fail to satisfy - nothing amazingly poetic or original, but they make sense and do the job without sounding corny or cliched. Dexter Holland has one of the best voices in modern punk, and this blends nicely with the style of lyrics he writes to create a good sound. On this album, topics range from aggressive themes such as in "Bad Habit" to more 'real' themes such as the awesome "Self Esteem", about women. Overall, a nice mix of styles and a quietly impressive array of lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: The Offspring's rise started with this album. "Smash" was the beginning of a new era in the Offspring's career. Whilst retaining the raw, punk sound of old, Dexter, Noodles, Greg and Ron (now sadly departed) managed to successfully blend in more accessible riffs and lyrics. I love this album for it's sheer energy and everlasting appeal. I will never get tired of "Self Esteem". Other highlights include "It'll Be A Long Time", "Genocide" and the title track "Smash", which then leads into a secret track (actually a short demo of the intro for "Change The World", from the next album). Overall, a great album, and one that only gets better with time. // 10

Smash Reviewed by: Offspringer2004, on april 21, 2004

Sound: This is the greatest album of all time!!!! I love every single song on it!!! I thought that the intro was absolutely hilarious because the album is so hard core and it says that it's "Time to relax" haha. My favorite song on here, I would have to say, is come out and play. It's really fun to play on the guitar...plus it's just cool. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, as always in an offspring song, are great. Some of them are deeper (It'll be a long time) and some have a positive message (Come out and play) and some are just fun (bad habit). As always, Dexter's genious shines through. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is their breakthrough album, and my second favorite (Ixnay on the Hombre is my fav). The only reason it seconds is because it doesn't really focus much on Dexter's personal emotions rather than the political points. I love the tunes, though, and I always have it in my cd player. // 10

Smash Reviewed by: wisdom_to_go, on december 27, 2004

Sound: The Offspring is just a great band. No two songs of theirs on this album sound the same. They are all unique. The guitars are awesome and so are the vocals. The Offspring has the ability to make great music and they show that greatly on this album. The sounds range from angry (Bad Habit) to a little comical (Come Out And Play). This has a great sound, and theres no doubting that. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good on this album. Some songs like Nitro (Youth Energy) and Genocide make you think about the lyrics. While others like bad Habit or Come Out And Play just have fun lyrics. As I said before, the vocals are great on this album. They show all the emotions that are shown by the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd is awesome. It took me a while to find, since none of the stores I go to carry it, but I'm glad tat I've finally found it. This cd is worth the $13.00. I'd buy it again in a second if I had to. I lovoe how The Offspring can be serious or not so serious. They put emotions into there songs. The best songs on this album have to be Bad Habit, Genocide, Nitro, and Come Out And Play. This has to be one of ther greatest albums of the '90s. // 10

Smash Reviewed by: bloodchair, on march 10, 2008

Sound: I think that Smash is an 'okay' album. They are a pretty unique band, they have a very bass sort of sound because in quiet a few of the verses and some other parts there is just drums and bass, I don't have a problem with that or anything though, sounds good. Their guitarist is excellent, though the album 'Smash' doesn't really contain much of their guitarists best work. Songs that more accurately display their guitarist talent are songs like 'I Choose', 'Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)', 'Can't Repeat', 'The Kids Aren't Allright', 'I Want You Bad' and 'Gone Away'. The Album is still quiet amusing to listen to though, but it doesn't keep me repeatively coming back to it in my setlist. I think that the Offsprings drummer is definetely one of my favourite drummers. He is an excellent drummer, listen to the songs 'Self Esteem'(In my opinion the best song in the album! Excellent drumming) and 'Come Out And Play (Gotta Keep 'Em Seperated)', where at the start the drummer is tapping on the steel stand for his cymbals and the bottom of his cymbals (I think I'm a guitarist not a drummer). But when I saw the video clip of him doing that I was impressed, very unique and creative. Excellent drummer. // 7

Lyrics: Dexter sings pretty well, except sometimes it doesn't quiet go with the music, don't know what I'm talking about? Listen to the start of 'Bad Habit' and the verse of 'Gotta Get Away', little awkward. But he sings very well in 'Self Esteem' and some other songs, not in the album. The lyrics are well thought out and make sense as far as I've heard, but just like the instrumental part of this album I think that there isn't much of Dexters best work in this album. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of my least preferred albums from the Offspring, I do like this band but this quiet honestly, isn't one of their best albums. At least there are some good songs ('Self Esteem', 'Gotta Get Away' (Don't like the verse too much), 'Come Out And Play (Gotta Keep 'Em Seperated)' and 'Smash'). But this album would be my last pick of all the Offsprings albums, but all too obviously I would pick this album anyday over something like 'Fergie' or 'Madonna' or some crap like that, because that type of music sucks big time, seriously who the hell would buy that crap! // 5

More Offspring reviews rating latest review
+ Days Go By 8.5 06/27/2012