Splinter Review

Lyrics: 9.3
 8.4
 7.8
Splinter Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2004

Sound: Hmm. This album sounds a lot like Americana, but harder in some places. The parallels are there if you listen for them: "The Worst Hangover" borrows the same Caribbean feel from "Why Don't You Get a Job?", and the harder, more punk material sounds like it always has. In fact, that is my greatest criticism of it: I heard "(Can't Get My) Head Around You," I swore I had heard it before. When a new single instills that sort of deja vu in a listener, the band has succeeded in doing nothing more than badly rehashing its old work. // 6

Lyrics: Holland has a voice easily recognized by anyone who has listened to the "alternative" (read: mainstream for depressed teens) radio stations, and it's not a bad voice. On the album, he sings extremely high, up in the contratenor range in chest voice, and he sounds good when doing so, probably because of studio magic. The lyrics are about the same sorts of things that the Offspring have been putting out for a long time, a good mix of social commentary, loud, angsty things, and joke tunes. "Hit That," the first single from the record, is a strange number that mixes the social commentary and joke vibes, while tracks like "Long Way Home" and "The Noose" are standard "well, I'm fucked" songs that The Offspring have been making since Ignition. The subject matter gets old after awhile, but the lyrics are written well enough that it isn't so repetitive as to detract from the music. // 6

Overall Impression: This album is definitely THE Offspring album to buy...if you can't get your hands on Ignition, Smash, Ixnay on the Hombre, Americana, or Conspiracy of One. It's amazingly short, with twelve tracks clocking in at about half an hour. Also, some of the tracks, most notably "Neocon" and "When You're In Prison," aren't worth the disc they are printed on ("Neocon" for being so reminiscent of AFI in terms of blind, cliched teenage rebellion; "When You're In Prison" for having no redeeming graces whatsoever, unless you enjoy forties music and anal rape). The best three tracks off of the album are, in my opinion, "The Noose," "(Can't Get My) Head Around You," and "Spare Me the Details," which is my favorite, mainly because any song with the lines "I'm not the one who acted like a ho/So why must I be the one who has to know" over a happy acoustic tune, and a lyric comparing the singer's girlfriend to a "dumb donut," is automatically great, hands down. However, in terms of their other work, Splinter as a whole is short, hackneyed, and weak, and at best deserves to be called Average. If it were ever stolen or "losted," as the question prompt so amusingly puts it, I probably wouldn't buy another copy, but perhaps use the money to buy another copy of Smash or Ignition in case either of those got stolen or "losted." I'd then download the one or two songs that were good off the album, and return to listening to The Offspring back when they were young punks out of O.C. with something to bitch about. // 6

Splinter Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 03, 2003

Sound: The sound of classic offspring carefully mixed with modern punk is what you get here. Definitely a great album and one that should be in every punks collection. The guitars are perfectly blended with the drumming skills of Josh Freese and the end result is one dman good album...even if there is a ska song in there! // 10

Lyrics: The lrics have matured from previous albums and consider more public issues so the album definitely reaches out to everyone. Dexters voice sounds great on this album! // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great improvement on conspiracy of one and even though its not the return of classic offspring its still a damn good album and i suggest that you get it because theres some real good stuff on there. definitely worth the money. if i lost this cd I would replace it - but im an offspring fan - buy it and see for yourself! // 10

Splinter Reviewed by: Rankles, on december 03, 2003

Sound: With the new album Splinter they're sound has become an amazing hybrid of all their previous albums, mainly the older stuff with heavy songs like Race Against Myself and Head Around You. They also mix it up with some electronics in Hit That, a cool acoustic song with Spare me the Details and a full on ska song with The Worst Hangover Ever. Also a nice joke song about prison rape to finish off the album with a 30's vibe. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are as good as ever, with Dexter picking the perfect writing style with each song, be it quite in depth and metaphorical or a joke song, the lyrics always fit fine. There are one or two bad lines though, but that is nitpicking as they are still better lyrics than most punk artists out there. As usual, in fact better than usual Dexters vocals are fantastic, with some melodies sounding like something you'd get on Ixnay not the latest album. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I'm very happy with this new album there isn't a bad song on there, with around five all out punk songs and some heavier songs/ska and acoustic songs this album makes for the best Offspring album since Ixnay on the Hombre. // 10

Splinter Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on december 04, 2003

Sound: The sound on "Splinter" is a real mix. Basically, if you took "Smash" and sprinkled it with "Conspiracy Of One", you'd get something like "Splinter". A lt of the songs are a return to the old punk style, but there's also quite a bit of other stuff on here too, for example the ska-reggae sound on "The Worst Hangover Ever", and the slower, powerful ballad "Race Against Myself". It's a great sound, much improved from the most recent efforts, and less commercially produced. It's still not a full return to the days of the self-titled album, but it's a refreshing change of direction. The sheer diversity of this album ranks it higher than both "Americana" and "Conspiracy of One", with the best songs being the more punky tracks. // 10

Lyrics: Dexter Holland has a great punk voice, and the lyrics always suit th style of song. The serious lyrics of "Long Way Home" and "Race Against Myself" are thought-provoking, whilst the anthemic sing-a-long chorus of "The Worst Hangover Ever" manages to sound stupid in a good way! There are a lot more back-up vocals on this record, again pointing the band back in the direction of the older releases. Which is great. // 10

Overall Impression: Obviously, I'm fairly biased, but this is a great album! It's such an improvement on the last two releases, whilst still managing to sound distinctively like The Offspring. It's clear that they have matured both individually and as a band, and their overall sound has become less raw and more melodic over their 17 years of existence. My favourite songs are "The Noose", "Race Against Myself" and "Da Hui" (the video of which is included on the bonus DVD), but I was impressed by all the songs. It's a really easy album to get into, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. Ever. It rocks...much like stones. // 10

Splinter Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 08, 2003

Sound: The sound on Splinter is pretty much the same as on americana but they threw some more power to it like on Cospiracy Of One. Of course most of the guitars are nothing but the same old powerchords, but the offspring is one of the few bands who can make sound a couple of chords really great. There's also a stupid techno bit on hit hat. But the worst song is worst hangover ever,they try to be a ska-band. Me being a huge huge ska fan think that they should let do ska-music by ska-bands. There are so many great ska band like buck o nine or the more punkier Less Than Jjake. But overall the cd sounds really great. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good, they sound good, they are good and Dexter sings them perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: This isn't their best cd, but it's a very good one. It certainly beats Americana and also beats conspiracy of one (but I'm not 2 sure about the last). But it aint as good as there older work. One big point of critic is THE CD IS TOO SHORT, you get 32 minutes of sound, that's right 32 minutes.And the first and last song arent real songs so lets say that you get 28 minutes of music. That's way to little. I think they better worked a little longer on the cd so they could put more songs on it and should have thrown away 2 or 3 tracks because they really suck. But the rest of the cd is great. So I certainly advice buying this cd and if you're an offsprinf fan (like me), there's no reason for not buying this cd, even if it's waaayyy to short. // 8

Splinter Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2004

Sound: Well dudes, the offspring strikes again!! They made an amazing album!! Splinter, the new band's album, seems like an old offspring record!! It's an album full of punk songs (with the exception of Hit That, Worst Hangover Ever and Spare Me the Details), with fast and catchy melodies (Da Hui, The Noose, Lightning Rod...every song on this album without the ones that I mentioned before). It seems that Noodles, Dexter and Greg are sick of being the "Pretty Fly" and "Original Prankster" guys, and they dragged out their true soul. It's cool! On the drum throne there isn't Ron Welty anymore, as you may know, but Josh Freese, which is a Drumming God and he has done an excellent work with drums in this album. // 8

Lyrics: Dexter's lyrics are based, like on every offspring album, on real life. The title splinter, is a way to express the splintered parts of him, that are represented in almost every song. I like his lyrics, like i ever do. It seems that he writes songs just for me :P His lyrics are very meaningfully to me. And you know how talented to sing is Dexter... I love his voice. // 10

Overall Impression: This new record is my 4th favourite from the band (1st Smash, 2nd Ignition, 3rd The Offspring): in this 10 songs album (the first is an intro, the last a shitty outro/song...), 8 of them are really good! Sure, this album is short (30 mins, more or less), and maybe they could have added a bunch of songs.. but splinter is good! But it, you will not regret it, if you're a true fan of the band, and not just a fool who listen only to "Pretty fly" or "Original prankster". In this case, just buy the "hit that" single, then shut up. Bye. // 8

Splinter Reviewed by: VES, on february 10, 2004

Sound: This record is a typical Offspring record. In other words not dissapointing. Offspring has after all been called the worlds best punk band for some years now. Offspring still plays Punk rock in their own way. On this CD they also play some SKA and METAL actually, but punk is still dominating. // 6

Lyrics: Offspring has always been number one at writing lyrics. The lyrics is variated and every singel one of them is exciting. Dexter has a great voice, that you just don't get tired of. // 10

Overall Impression: It is as I sais a pretty much typical Offspring record. The Albums most impressing songs is DA HUI and The Worst Hangover Ever. They both rock. The only thing I hate about this album is the song "when you're in prison" which is so bleedy booring. And I lvoe the facts that this album is Offsprings most variated record. Worth buying everyone, Every punk rocker should own this album. // 8

Splinter Reviewed by: offspringer 07, on march 12, 2004

Sound: The sound in this album is one of the best sounds the Offspring has had. They really mix it up on this album. They open it up with awesome guitar riffs with songs like The Noose and The Long Way home. They also have some funk/regae in their songs like the Worst Hangover Ever and some acoustic with Spare Me the Details. All in all the sound of Noodles' guitar and the drum beats sound pretty sweet. // 10

Lyrics: Dexter still keeps to his title of one of the best rock singers in this album. Vocally it is a very good album and the lyrics are both pretty funny (Da Hui) and both pretty serious and heavy (Race Against Myself). The lyics are great though. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is that Splinter is definetly a good album. They could have made it even better if the had made it longer but what can you do? All I can say is that it is good to have Dexter and the boys back after such a long time waiting for their new album. Although it is a pretty steady album it doesn't compare much with their earlier albums such as Smash and Inxay on the Hombre. // 8

Splinter Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 15, 2004

Sound: Really good!!! The guitars, the bass, the drums and vocals all rule on this album. The Offspring are back on form with this cd after the less punk Conspiracy Of One album. The Offspring have also experimented on this album as well with ska punk song The Worst Hangover Ever, and the lyrics in the songs have meaning and a seriousness about them, which The Offspring do best. // 10

Lyrics: Dexters voice is unique, its amazing to say the least, he is a VERY under-rated singer, and song writer, as is Noodles a guitar player and as band, The Offspring are a very under-rated band for (my opinion) pretty Fly For A White Guy being the success it was. Splinter is GREAT!!! This album will gain The Offspring the respect they deserve. // 10

Overall Impression: This album stands up to there old albums totaly! Splinter is great from start to finish, tho it does end a little too soon lasting only 29 minutes. But it doesnt matter as long as The Offspring bring us (The Fans) the goods! And this is album doesnt disappoint!!! YOU WILL LOVE THIS ALBUM!!! // 10

Splinter Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2004

Sound: I grew up on the Offspring, and the thing I notice about the sound is that they always manage to make a slight change in it--it develops over time, always sounding like them but with a little twist. Spare Me The Details is especially catchy, done in acoustics, while Can't Get My Head Around You is fun and loud. The strange track at the end, When You're In Prison, sounds like a 20's recording. Songs like Long Way Home and Lightning Rod are reminiscent of some older Offspring stuff, and Hit That is a fun little (but strange) song that sounds like Casio keyboards gone very, very wrong... a pretty unique sound. // 10

Lyrics: Deep issues are laden in quite a few of the Offspring songs, this one's no different. The Noose is an apocolyptic-feeling dark song, Long Way Home is (I *think*) about getting out of a bad relationship. Race Against Myself is fighting the inner mind, I'm not quite sure... Spare Me the Details is just funny about a cheating girlfriend, Lightning Rod is about death, and the last track, When You're In Prison, is about not bending over for any reason while in prison... for obvious reasons. Dexter is EXTREMELY talented as a singer, in my opinion, and is kind of underrated... but the vocals in this, in my opinion, are better than some previous stuff (not all, definitely). Maybe its just me. // 10

Overall Impression: For an Offspring album, its pretty solid: in my eyes, it's better than Conspiracy of One, but not quite as good as Americana or Smash. The upbeat Can't Get My Head Around You is very impressive musically and lyrically, and Spare me the Details is different because of its acoustic sound. I keep the Splinter CD on my iPod at all times, its perfect for a lot of moods. The only downside is that its not very long--just over a half an hour, and only 12 songs...that's REALLY a short CD in my opinion. But it's still good, and a good addition to the Offspring collection of music. I can't wait to see them live! // 8

Splinter Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 15, 2004

Sound: When looking at the quality of the sound when it comes out of the speaker, it keeps better and better, but however all the different styles The Offspring tried on this record :/... I don't know. Songs like "The Worst Hangover Ever" suck. Really, they sound funny to me once, but they get more annoying every time they're played. On the other side, the songs more like oldschool Offspring, DO rock. The Noose and Long Way Home for example. And 'course: the most rocking number since Ixnay on the Hombre... Can't Get My Head Around You. // 8

Lyrics: Offspring lyrics have always been very good and will be (I hope...). That's all I really can say about 'm. Oh, about the skills of the singer: Dexter Holland is the best punk vocalist in the world. // 10

Overall Impression: When I bought the album, I wasn't really... that it was really a good record. But when you listen to it quite much, you start to like it more and more (exept for a few songs). And after all... as an Offspring fan a good Offspring album is never a problem. I must say, as a conclusion, I really like the album. // 10

Splinter Reviewed by: Metallicam, on april 16, 2004

Sound: Well, the sound to this album is not anything too spectacular. They aquired a new drummer, but he does not make an appearance on this one. But, whoever does do the drumming (John Freese) is very good. They go for a ska song which is not bad, but can get annoying. The last track should also not be on the album, at least not as a regular track. Guitar wise, well, not much to say. Both Dexter and Noodles pretty much don't explore here. Much more of a rock feel to this, but a vast improvement to the pop feel on Conspiracy of One. // 6

Lyrics: Well, I've always been a fan to Offspring lyrics, and this album doesn't dissappoint there. But, there is not much of a change. The first track features lyrics which we have always been used to from these guys; go-against-authority type stuff. Besides the last song, all of these are typical Offspringish lyrics. I think Dexter tries to come off as a bit more darker and tries to get his own message accross and it shows in some of the songs. Anyways, lyrics are good, if you like Offsping lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: It is not a bad album. It takes a bit to get used to, and it is extremely short, but still a step up from their previous effort. It does not compare to any of their stuff pre-Ixnay, but it isn't bad. If you wanted them to release another Smash, well, this ain't it. But if you wanted an album that gets harder than Conspiracy, you got it! // 8

Splinter Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2004

Sound: This album isn't as great as their other ones...and although the sound is good, it's pretty much the same thing as Conspiracy...perhaps a bit of Americana is mixed in their too. It's got some flops on the songs, like "Lightning Rod" and "Long Way Home" (even though they sound great live). But it also has some good ones like "Spare Me the Details" and "Race Against Myself" I also enjoyed the experimenting on "Hit That". Overall I guess the sounds are good...nothing I wouldn't expect from them...(kinda funny because I've been saying how great they are in my other reviews). I'd still give it a five though, because most of the cd is good...despite it's short length. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were awesome...especially in "Race Against Myself". "But I am losing the race against myself..." that was great. Dexter stick to universal emotions and his voice is also pushed even more to the limit than the previous cds. I love him as a vocalist and a song writer. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this cd is that it is traditional Offspring...nothing but quality. They tried their best and came out with some more hits for the summer...but I like their previous ones more, so I'd have to give it a four...sorry guys! Maybe next time around!!! // 8

Splinter Reviewed by: meadowskid, on may 03, 2004

Sound: Id have to say this album was amazing, I bought it after I borrowed it from my friend. My first thoughts were that it was gonna be some pop crap like original Prankster or Pretty Fly For A White Guy. But it wasn't. This album was hardcore! It's great stuff and if you like punk music buy it, if you've ever liked any Offspring songs before - buy it. I'm deffinitly an Offspring fan now. I've been told its more like there earlier work which i really have to hear now. A group of my friends said that they dont like offspring after I got this cd and I asked why. They said that their all old! Just cause someones old doesn't meen they suck. These are all the people that are into AC/DC, Led Zepplin and all those other awesome old bands. The're older, but that just meens they've got more experience than all of those newer bands. They know whats good and whats not. Not a bad song on the CD, except for when You're In Prison, its pointless but good for a laugh. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are, theres no other word for it, amazing. Dexter's has a different topic for each song most of them are about emotions or some sort of thing that ties in with his emotions. As was said in a different review, they all represent the splintered parts of him as was said in the title of the album (Splinter) and I couldnt agree more. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was just awesome. The best songs are, in my oppinion, "The Noose" and "Lightning Rod". The Offspring are just amazing at all of the elements of their music, although the bass isn't very noticable. Although I was sort of dissapointed at the lack of solo's the longest one being in "Da Hui," which was an amazing hardcore song with just as many words and elements to it as all of the other songs just only in 1 and a half minutes instead of 3 or 4. The album was sadly, very short and could use to be much longer, although I can have enjoyed all the songs on it by the time I get to school. If your a fan buy it, if your not but you like bands like blink 182 or Sum 41 buy it, if you've only ever heard any Offspring song and liked it buy it, if you like punk rock buy it, if you've got extra money and dont know what to do with it buy it. If this album was ever stolen i would replace the extra copy of it that i replaced it with. and then shoot the person who stole it broke it ect. If you are not sattisfied with this album, theres no harm in having extra copies, I will buy it. // 10

Splinter Reviewed by: feesk8ordie, on june 09, 2004

Sound: The albums sound is good, as it has a few different styles, such as ska, (The Worst Hangover Ever) dark punk, (The Noose) and the classic "poppier" side of The Offspring, (Spare Me the Details). Although When your in prison is just plain wierd! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty decent. I especially like The Noose, Race Against Myself and Lightning Rod. It has angry lyrics, gross lyrics, real-life type lyrics etc. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, Splinter was a bit of a let down. It's a good album, and has some great tracks, but it's only about 32 minutes long, and some of the songs are unnecesary eg. When Your In Prison, Neocon, and even The Worst Hangover Ever gets kinda boring. Nothing majorly wrong, and some great material, but Offspring are capable of more. If your new to The Offspring you should get Smash, Ixnay on the Hombre, or Americana instead. Still Splinter's pretty good, I give it 4. // 8

Splinter Reviewed by: Pyroflameout, on june 10, 2004

Sound: This album straight up rocks out from start to finish with a couple lighter songs thrown in for fun. It's a little heavier than their other stuff but the guitars match the lyrics extremely well and while I'm not a drummer I would say they sound pretty damned good for it being a new guy playing them. // 10

Lyrics: As usual Dexter get his point across really well. As I said before the lyrics match the music almost seamlessly. // 10

Overall Impression: Splinter ranks up there with Smash and Ixnay. The best song on the album is Race Against Myself with Can't Get My Head Around You a close second. The last song is pointless but hilarious and the hangover song gets annoying after a bit but overall its a great album. If it got stolen I would shoot the motherf--cker who stole it then buy a new one right away. This album is definantly worth the money and is a must for all punk rock fans. // 10

Splinter Reviewed by: silverymetaller, on november 08, 2004

Sound: This album sounds less punk than their old stuff like "The Offspring" or "Ixnay On The Hombre". But it still rocks. "Neocon" is a very good and powerful intro. It's like bringing you into the journey of "The Splinter". This album has different ypes of sounds, such as alternative (Lighting Rob), punk (Can't Get My Head Around You), old skool punk (Da Hui), etc. Personally I don't like "When You're In Prison", cuz it doesn't fit with other songs. But it doesn't really affect the whole "Splinter". I still love it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics is absolutely amazing. As usual, Dexter has written incredible lyrics for their songs. He can always express his thoughts or anything through his lyrics. My favourite is definitely "Race Against Myself." This song is just perfect. "I've tried as hard as I can/I've taken all I can stand/But I am running a race against myself" -- I love every single word in this song. In my opinion, Dexter is one of the best writers in the music industry. // 10

Overall Impression: Once again, The Offspring has produced a kick ass album. They have choosen the right songs to put into "The Splinter" besides "When You're In Prison." I would prefer without it. Like I said before, it's pretty weird. Anyway if you like their "Conspiracy Of One", I'm sure you will like this too. They both rock! If any bastard stole it, I would kill him get it back. Or if I lost it, I would go to the cd store immediately and buy it again cause The Offspring is my all time favourite. // 10

Splinter Reviewed by: indeedyes, on march 29, 2005

Sound: Although people whinge and moan about how this album doesn't portray the band's sound like the others do, I think that this is a really impressive album. As it launches into the furious riffs and quick vocals of "The Noose," I was reminded of the old sound of the band. Some tracks, however, such as "Hit That" and "The Worst Hangover Ever" spoil the album and give people cause for complaint. // 8

Lyrics: What can I say? Typical Offspring lyrics, with Dexter whining about girls and the like. But they are, as always, fitting to the music and impressive. Dexter has outdone himself on this album. // 8

Overall Impression: This may seem strange, but this is my favorite album by the band, and it was buying this album that really got me into The Offspring. The most impressive songs I thought were the heavy guitar riffs and uptempo drum beats of "The Noose" and "Can't Get My Head Around You," and the worst being "Hit That" and "The Worst Hangover Ever." The only fault I can find with this album is that it doesn't really last long enough. If the album were stolen or lost, I would definitely go out and buy another one as soon as possible. // 8

Splinter Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Sound: I have grew up on The Offspring and, this album is a masterpiece. The fast-punchy guitars, the extreme fast drumming of Long Way Home, and the infectious Race Against Myself, make this album a piece of musicical genius! // 10

Lyrics: Dexter's voice is one of a kind, I don't think there is an artist with a voice as good as Dexter's! The lyrics he should be proud of, the vocabulary of Lightning Rod is second to none, the Teenage reblious lyrics of Hit That, and Spare Me The Details. Dexter never gives us a bad song! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is unique, the most impressive songs are The Noose, Race Against Myself, Lightning Rod, Neocon, Spare Me The Details, Can't Get My (Head Around You), and Never Gonna Find Me oh and Da Hui! If someone nicked Splinter I would go crazy! If I lost it I wouldn't 'cause I look after my 7 Offspring albums! // 10

Splinter Reviewed by: Tster, on december 10, 2007

Sound: The Offspring, an awesome band but honestly I was just slightlydissappointed with this album. I was suspecting something huge, something epic. But what I found were too many ideas for songs jammed into 12 tracks. Now don't get me wrong this album does rock, but could rock a lot harder. The sound has an old-school offspring sound to it which is awesome! Some of the songs have a bit 'what the hell' bits, but most of it rocks. There's an awesome effect with some of the effects and timing which make some of these songs wickid but also make some just bad. // 8

Lyrics: The Offspring lyrics have always been awesome. Dexter's voice sounds so wickid and suits the type of music so well. He's go an awesome voice. The lyrics, just like any other offspring album have a bit of humour in em' and depth and just the right mix which make it awesome. He's got such an awesome voice it just suits it so well, the lyrics are so out there! // 10

Overall Impression: With my copy I got bonus CD which has the 'Da Hui Video' and the behind the scenes of the video. It's an alright bonus CD nothing special to be honest. The actual CD itslef though is actually really cool! It's got some awesome tracks with awesome rhythms and lyrics which will leave you rocking out/playing guitar to. The better songs on the album, well the only crappy songs are Da Hui and When You're In Prison (just 'cause it's not that funny even). This CD is wickid and if you're into the type of genre of music or kinda like the Offspring you should really like this album totally worth it, I'd buy it again. // 9

More Offspring reviews rating latest review
+ Days Go By 8.5 06/27/2012