Anthology Review

artist: oingo boingo date: 12/10/2004 category: compact discs
oingo boingo: Anthology
Released: Nov 2, 1999
Genre: Rock
The new package is nice, some great art by Georgeanne Deen, and has a great picture of the boys circa 1982 or 83 standing over a grave.
 9.4
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Anthology Reviewed by: hellcat28, on december 10, 2004

Sound: This two disc compolation covers most of Oingo Boingo career. The two disk gives us a taste of the early years of the band up too there farwell tour. Includes hits like "Dead Man's Party," "Weird Science" and "Only A Lad." This collection of music gives you a idea of the bands sound. With each song you hear you could hear evolution in musical styles. From an early new wave sound to a more modern rock sound. Most of these tracks are from live and out print recordings. All these track sound fresh and time less. // 10

Lyrics: Danny Elfman vocals are incredible and amazing. The lyrics are interesting there not your average "song about girl" but go into some deep issues like: Big Brother and life tragedies. Most of the songs are well structure and give a deep understanding of the bands knowledge of music. Songs like "Grey Matter," "Insects" and "We Close Our Eyes" are example of there unique style of song writing. Some songs you might hear instruments like accordions, xylophone, and electric Drums. // 8

Overall Impression: The first time I heard Oingo Boingo it was fresh and unique. Even do the songs are 20 years old they still sound good. I was very impress with there style of music because they took a risk and did what they wanted to do! Most of the songs are very musical and well written. They are one of those bands that have a unique sound and style. I most impress with production of this recordings. The guitars sound is incredible is worth the price but I recommend buying Dead Man's Party if don't know the band. The album is a must for any Boingo fan. I highly recommend checking out Danny Elfman's scores like "The Simpsons," "Spider Man" and "Mars Attacks." Enjoy! // 10

More Oingo Boingo reviews rating latest review