Distance Is Decay [EP] Review

Ola Madrid: Distance Is Decay [EP]
Released: Sep 13, 2012
Genre: Screamo, Emo, Punk Rock
Label: Self-released
For a band local to New Brunswick, NJ, that is DIY and relatively unknown FOR THE MOMENT, at best they are comparable to the likes of known underground legends.
 7.1
 9.7
 4.5
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this album:
Distance Is Decay [EP] Reviewed by: gnarlax, on february 17, 2014

Sound: The sound of this righteous 4 piece have pieced together the best of local underground hard punk styles. Contrary to other pop screamo acts, Ola Madrid encapsulates a heart ripping, mosh worthy progression of aggressive sound coupled with a wash over of delay, gang vocals and clever use of metaphor.

The vocals although not brutally gut wrenching, lay well in the mix with a focus on faint melody. This suits the Deftones-like layers of the music. There is definitely a strong influence drawn from other progressive punk bands that allows this EP to "Survive" and stay afloat of the mess of CD's that lay on your dashboard. Definitely a band you have got to hear! // 9

Lyrics: Although I'm judging from their earliest public release, the lyrics of "Distance Is Decay" are far from drab. You may find that the lyrics can touch base on certain angst filled tendencies.

"When you find what moves you,
Let it sail into the sun
And you will find vultures,
circling the sky."

"California, Hear Me Out"

Definitely a great use of lyrical allegory! Although counting as a fairly young effort, there are certainly points within the music that pleasantly surprise you and how they correspond with the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: I'd say for a band local to New Brunswick, NJ, that is DIY and relatively unknown FOR THE MOMENT, at best they are comparable to the likes of known underground legends: Touche Amore with a strong whiplash of Circa Survive tones. There is just so much that goes into their own music that they can gladly call it their own!

I absolutely love the use of effects, being a guitar player I found this production to be amazing for a band that is in my own backyard! There is little to hate from this band when it comes to this style of music. Ola Madrid have hit us with the perfect amount of angry, angsty noise and technically driven, catchy, rhythmic music.

Listen and support the band at their bandcamp! // 10