First Came The Law Review

Once Nothing: First Came The Law
Release Date: Jan 15, 2007
Label: TNL
Genres: Christian Metal, Heavy Metal, Grindcore, Thrash
Almost by definition, listeners have to be fans of at least two of the three main elements of the album to get behind First Came The Law, and only those who hit the trifecta will really love it.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.3
 9.5
First Came The Law Reviewed by: hiyohi55, on march 26, 2008

Sound: While not original per se, First Came The Law is a fantastic combination of many musical genres; to name a few, '80s metal, thrash, southern rock, and just straight up metal. With it's opening track "The Intimidator" the beginning riff really sets the tone for the album that hints at a Metallica-esque sound, followed by the lyric "you wanna go for a ride." After that the song kicks into a fairly intense song with fantastic drumming and guitar breakdowns. What ensues is a mash of western metal that really has no equal. Songs such as "Juliet or At Least What's Left of Her," "Dust of a Town," and "Whisky Breath" really stand forward as being the best (in my opinion) but the entire album shines with this. It should be noted that this record is supposed to have a western hint, so those looking for euro/black metal will be sorely disappointed, but I believe it is a fresh new take on the now cluttered metal scene. // 10

Lyrics: This is not metalcore. There are no "soft" singing spots, it is purely screaming and what can be described as yells. The singer Todd Lowry really belts his ass off the entire record through and it is a welcome slap in the face. It is more musical than most metal bands out today, which is saying something seeing how there are no quiet, emo choruses. The lyrics themselves are interesting enough, having a western run 'n gun feel to them and are original in that sense. They are, however, based on the same old love, death, drinking, themes. Then again, we are talking about the the wild west, and I'm assuming that is how it was, based on the many western movies I have seen. But that is just nitpicking. The lyrics are great, loud, and they fit the album incredibly. // 9

Overall Impression: I was truly surprised when I "bought" this album. I was expecting the same growls, followed by guitar breakdowns, followed by growls routine, and I was happily mistaken. Instead I was given a much more musical experience with clear guitar, drums, and vocals. Once Nothing has really advanced itself into prime position of being one of the elite metal groups today with this near perfect album. The songs on the record reflect the obvious theme that is being presented, which is rare for bands, and with some of the tightest, most music driven guitar around, it is safe to assume almost everyone will find something to like with this album. Now is the time to use that free trial towards napster, emusic, or rapsody. Hell, myspace.com/oncenothing is a place to listen to their songs for free, no registration required (lazy bastards). There is no excuse to not hear at least one of these songs. They are great in concert and deserve all the support they can get. // 10

First Came The Law Reviewed by: davids2010, on april 02, 2008

Sound: What's "Blue Collar Metal"? If you are wondering who you should ask about this type of metal, these are the guys you need to ask. Once Nothing is different from other metal groups. Along with your normal ear screaming, mosh-pit break downs, they throw in a southern swing to their music. The music itself is just so interesting you just want to keep listening to it. Once Nothing used this CD to really get themselves the attention that they rightfully deserve, after all this is their first album with Solid State Records. They recordings are just just striaght and simple, a couple effects here and there, but nothing to fancy. The guitarist don't do much of leads, but they have some insane riffs that you should listen to. The drummer though, he is to me one of the best drummers out there right now. Overall you guys should checks these guys out. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't really the best you'll find out there, but when the lyrics and music put together they really flow. Todd Lowery is a good song writer and knows what he is doing. Plus, there is no vulger language because thses guys are christian. Todd not to much of a singer, he trys, his sream though is one of a kind and is perfect for this style of metal. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall it is a great album indeed. Once you listen to them, you will to listen to them again and again. It's only their first album, but they have great things ahead of them in the future. The must here song on this album is "Whiskey Breath". This song is a great example of what "Blue Collar Metal" really is. First of all, the copy of the album I have was signed by all the members, so I would probably hunt down the guy and negotiate with my fists to give it back. But if this were any other copy, then yes I would go out and but it again because I love it that much and you need to get it too. // 10

Comments