Ghost Reveries Review

opeth: Ghost Reveries
Released: Aug 30, 2005
Label: Roadrunner
Genre: Rock
Styles: Progressive Metal, Scandinavian Metal, Goth Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal
It shows their creativity in almost every area of music-making, while offering long-time fans some very new and refreshing ideas.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
Ghost Reveries Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2005

Sound: Opeth are recognised as a band who are always pushing themselves forward and progressing their music all the time, while keeping their unique and recogniseable sound. The addition of a keyboardist to the band really seemed a natural progression for the band, and it's worked quite well. The opening track, Ghost Of Perdition showcases this quite well, the keyboards giving a haunting backing to the softer parts of the track. There's still room for improvement though, as I feel the keyboards are at the moment mostly providing this backing noise which, while very effective, leaves you with the general impression that there could've been more. The keyboards do take the lead at several points during Beneath the Mire, which is something I would love to hear more of in the future. The keyboards work well, but could still be better, Opeth are still an ever-growing band, now more than ever, so it should be interesting to see where they take this. A further layer to their already multi-faceted music can only be a good thing. The guitars on this album are just as good as on their previous albums, still continuing to make the transitions between heavy-as-hell riffs and slow, haunting melodies perfectly. As far as guitars go Opeth have pretty much stuck with what they do best, making these transitions and keeping the listener captivated in their playing. The album features predominantly the kick-ass heavier side of Opeth interspersed with moments demonstrating the beautifully constructed softer side, in a similar way to the Deliverance album. Hours of Wealth, Isolation Years and Atonement are the softest tracks on the album, and fit in perfectly with the much heavier tracks, so there's no disappointment for fans of either their heavier sound or the much softer, fascinating music they create. The album progresses from both the Deliverance and Damnation albums pretty much equally. In conclusion, I'd say Opeth have really pushed some boundaries with this album while keeping their own unmistakeable style intact, something they have consistently done with each album, but this one stands out a little more due to a brand new member of the band. It's still captivating, more importantly it's still very much Opeth, but there is a little room for growth in respect to the keyboards. While the keyboardist does a brilliant job, I think it will take time to become fully integrated into the band. Not yet perfect but still a sign of great things to come. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very dark and thoughtful, this time dealing with a great many occult images and acting as a perfect reflection on the album's title. A number of songs consider ghosts, demons, the devil etc. as lyrical topics. However once again what impresses most upon the listner is Mikael Akerfeldt's vocal talents. His gentler vocals are fantastic on this album, at times reduced to almost a whisper during The Grand Conjuration, and fitting in brilliantly with the soft side of the tracks. But as always his trademark growls and roars on this album really stand out. My favourite thing about Akerfeldt as a vocalist is his ability to mix the soft and heavy vocals together without any difficulty or awkwardness, which when you consider the nature of their guitar playing fits together with the music excellently. The lyrics compliment the sound of the keyboard and the guitars very well, with the music quite often reflecting the mood created by the words in every single track. The two parts work together equally to create very dark, brooding songs as well as more violent and tormented-sounding music. Once again the lyrics and vocals represent Opeth very well, and Akerfeldt is one of the most unique-sounding and creative vocalists in modern music. No complaints whatsoever. // 10

Overall Impression: Opeth have progressed with this album alot. Their creativity has always been one of the most impressive things about the band, and Ghost Reveries shows their creativity in almost every area of music-making, while offering long-time fans some very new and refreshing ideas. I haven't admittedly been an Opeth fan for long but have recently got myself all their albums. with each one I listened to, I found it difficult to see how they could possibly improve, but every single time they have done exactly that. This is no exception. A genuinely captivating album, enthralling from beginning to end, bearing all the marks which Opeth are reknowned and loved for. There really is something for everybody on this album, and if you're an Opeth fan you'll love it. // 10

Ghost Reveries Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2005

Sound: This is Opeth's most complete album to date. Many people were hesitant about them signing to roadrunner records because they feared they would become more mainstream, but I asure you that didn't happen. All the songs on this album have their own identity, they combine sounds from all of their past albums, for fans of their older albums, "Beneath The Mire" and "The Baying Of The Hounds" are great. If you like the songs when michael actually sings, you will like "Reverie/Harlquin Forest" (my favorite song on the album), and "Isolation Years." Since hiring a keyboardest, their sound has become even better. "Atonement" is the most experemental track on the album. Infulences from The Beatles really show here. Atonement also shows the keyboardst's skills which are very good. Overall this album just kicks so much ass. // 10

Lyrics: I will be honest, I don't care for lyrics that much, most of the time I can't understand them. But I can tell that michael has a style of writing that is different from everything else. "Isolation Years" and "Hours Of Wealth" show that. Micahel is a double threat when it comes to the sound of his voice. He can do both screaming and singing and actually sound good doing it. I personally like when he sings the most, that is probably why I like their newer albums rather than their old ones when they were more death metal than progressive. // 10

Overall Impression: This album contends for best metal album of the year easily. Everything about it is great, I can't find one flaw in it. If you like progressive metal, you should like this alot. The most impressive songs on the album are "Reverie/Harlquin Forest" and "Ghost Of Perdition." Opeth is one of the few musical geniuses in this era. // 10

Ghost Reveries Reviewed by: talirak, on april 13, 2006

Sound: Absolutely great, I can't think about other words it's just perfect. The sound is great, guitar are hard and melodic the drums are great I can't think about something I don't like in this CD (or band). I don't know anything that is like opeth and anyone that likes Opeth will surely like Haggard I think those 2 bands are really good! // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are good and the compliance with the music is completely perfect, it's never bad. The singers are really talented they scream and the sing really well even perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: It is there best album. The most impressive song is probably Beneath The Mire or Reverie/Harlequin Forest they are completely different but really good. There is also a song the I did not understand why it was on the album at the begenning but the more I listen to it the more a apreciate it (Hours Of Wealth). If this album was stolen I would sell my brain to have it back! // 9

Ghost Reveries Reviewed by: pHaKe, on september 25, 2006

Sound: Opeth's sound have evolved from the Heavieness of Orchid and MAYH. Through the soft side of Damnation, and into their current sound. People have said that they don't like the new Opeth CD, that they 'sold out' by making the Grand Conjuration Video. In reality, Mikael kerfeldt said that he hated the Grand Conjuration video. I personally love this CD, it's one of my current favorites. In an open Dmin tuning (D A D F A D) they mix heavy riffs with light Acoustic interludes just as perfectly as kerfeldt mixes his light vocals with the deep death growls. This one of the most recent Opeth CD's I have bought, and it sticks out as one of their best. // 10

Lyrics: "The story of a man who killed his mother" is the main plot of the CD. kerfeldt shows off his great signing talent with great songs such as Beneath the Mire, Ghost Of Predition, and Reverie/Harlequim Forest. The plot of the CD blends perfectly with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: As far as I'm concerned, Opeth is in a league of its own. kerfeldt is so technicaly advanced with his music, and manages to blend his signing with the tone to make the perfect sound. My favorite songs are Reverie/Harlequim Forest, Beneath the Mire, and Ghost of Predition. There's nothing on this album I would change, it's perfect. If it were stolen, I'd hunt down whoever stole it, and beat them. Then go to the store and use their money to buy a new one. // 10

Ghost Reveries Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 28, 2005

Sound: Wow, what more can I say when rating an Opeth album. First off, I have to say that Opeth really is a great band, with a singer that can scream his head off in the first couple of minutes of "Ghost Of Perdition" and then in the same song with no warning it goes into acoustic guitar. I must say, I really love Opeth, I alaways have. They really are innovative, what else can I say? I reccomend this album to listeners of death metal to listeners of Arabian folks songs. There really is no unique or trademark sound of Opeth, other than that it is musical mayhem at its best. My favorite song would have to be "The Grand Conjuration." After watching the video one night at Headbanger's ball, I really couldn't stop listening to the song for days on end. Hell I might still be listening to it while you are reading this review. If there is any complaint that I have, or any aspect I didn't like, would that some musical approaches by Opeth in some of their songs weren't wise and carefully thought out. Some songs really dry out the technique of repitition, such as the end of "Beverie/Harlequin Forest," the end of the song gets repeptitve, and many a time I skip it and change to my favorite song, "The Grand Conjuration." Overall, the sound is awesomely, insanely, indubidibly, specatacular. If you like metal, or if you just plainly like music, this album is highly recommended. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are short from godly, with the exception of a couple of song that have really played out lines; such as "Searching the darkness..." I mean haven't we heard that before in about a dozen other songs? That doesn't mean the lyrics aren't good, I'm stating one fault of out of one hundred good traits. Some of the lyrics are sick If I do say so myself. Like in the "Grand Conjuration," one of my favorite excerpts would have to be "The eyes of the devil fixed on his sinner." Amazing, just amazing. It's a shame that 5% of the lyrics fall into the category of cliche. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to other bands today, Opeth is a god among gods. Never once have I encountered musical mayhem thay I actually liked. Favorite songs from the album would have to be "Ghost Of Perdition," "Isolation Years," "The Grand Conjuration," hell they are all good. If I lost the CD, I probably would use my backup that I created for it using a CD burnner program; but If I didn't have that, I would definitely buy it again. The sound and the lyrics may have few faults, but when combined together; you will ponder why did I even begin to criticize? // 10

Ghost Reveries Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2006

Sound: Opeth's first major label release via Roadrunner is a release that will go down in history as a landmark album, like every other Opeth record. Opeth are constantly evolving as a band with each successive release and this one is no different. This CD is more ferocious than fragile. While I am new to Opeth, I can see that this CD is special. The overall sound of the album is dark and haunting with mellower passages winding throughout the music serving to build the already high tension to levels unknown before. For an example listen to the verses in "The Grand Conjuration." The drums count off the beat in the background and increase to a double-time feel just before the sonic fury unloads on you. And with this album, Opeth added a full-time keyboardist to the line-up, adding to the already trademark sound. Insane! // 10

Lyrics: Very, very, very dark lyrics, trademark Opeth. Akerfeldt is in my humble opinion one of the, if not the, best lyricist/vocalist in metal today and possibly of all-time. I'm not good at reading into lyrics but I do know these are unique to this album and serve to set the album apart from other bands and even other Opeth CDs. // 10

Overall Impression: Other-worldly. Captivating. Dominating. And just plain amazing. "The Grand Conjuration" has got to be my favorite song off the CD and is one of my favorite Opeth songs. Period. I wish I had a pen-head amount of the skill of any one member of this band because that would put to shame what I know. These guys are mucial genuises that continue to amaze with technicality, precision, and originality. If I lost this I would get it again ASAP. If it were stolen I would shake the thief's hand because of his fine taste in music. The best metal album of 2005. // 10

Ghost Reveries Reviewed by: A7XDisturbed, on april 28, 2007

Sound: When I was graced with the album Ghost Reveries I was amazed by the guitar work and everything else about the album. This is the first album I have heard from this band and I think I might buy the other 7. I really enjoy the guitar work. The innovation I see are the multiple styles of guitar found on the album. There seems to be a lot of influence from underground metal and classical rock riffs. Great CD for anyone that appreciates metal. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are crazy. I found a lot of dark lyrics on the album but they configure well with the overall feel of the album. I find some of the vocals butchered but most parts of singing are really well done. The screaming adds a great flow of vocals that make the music more dark and amazing. // 9

Overall Impression: For a first time listener of Opeth I really love this album. I really enjoy Ghost of Perdition and Reverie/Harlequin Forest. Those are my favourite songs on the album. Again I really loved the guitar work. There is a reason that this album was voted in the Best 50 guitar albums. I have no hate for this album, I greatly enjoy it. If it was stolen or lost I would definitely try my best to hunt down the person who took it if stolen. If lost I would search my house like a mad man. If I couldn't find it I would buy a new one. // 10

Ghost Reveries Reviewed by: aenimafist, on april 10, 2008

Sound: With the addition of member Per Wiberg on keys and Mikael still holding strong as the death metal vocal king that he is, Ghost Reveries stays true to the classic Opeth sound while taking a path less traveled and establishing it's own stance of uniqeuness. The keyboards are quite prominent throughout and keep the listener engaged in the recording. I liked the different switches between the heavy parts of songs and the soft parts such as in Baying of the Hounds and Reverie/Harlequin Forest. The wierd time signatures laced throughout the music give the songs an eerie and off mark sound that can be matched by few others. // 10

Lyrics: Ghost of Perdition has the best lyrics in all of prog-metal in my opinion right up there with Dream Theater and Tool (sorry for comparing Opeth to Tool). Mikael can actually sing but he doesn't know it, so he said once. But he is the king of the Cookie Monster vocals. Apparently the concept that goes with this album was something along the lines of a man who kills his own mother. I thought the concept was rather weak but other than that, great job with the words Lord Akerfeldt. // 10

Overall Impression: The first album from Opeth I purchased was Damnation which doesn't really have any distortion at all throughout the whole album so this was my first exposure to distorted Opeth sounds. I must say they have an astounding distorted side as well as their more soft side. Then there are the semi-distorted parts thrown in like in Baying of the Hounds and Ghost of Perdition. This album is an awesome addition to my collection. A cool bonus was the additional intro at the beginning of Reverie/Harlequin Forest that starts in the -1:50s or something. Grand Conjuration is a great song but it might be slightly overrated. I give this a 10 all around. // 10

Ghost Reveries Reviewed by: mchugh92, on june 30, 2008

Sound: Out of all the more recent metal bands I have heard, Opeth are the most innovative along with Tool and Dream Theater, all three have radically different sounds, and that is rare in metal nowadays. To begin, the music is diverse, for example the opening track "Ghost of Perdition" begins with a softly strummed clean guitar, but all of a sudden comes an ultra-heavy affair with lead vocalist, Mikael growling like none I have heard before, but then after a minute it changes into this syncopated chugging rhythm with a vocal melody that reminds me of Tool, for some reason, and afterwards it changes again with acoustic guitar and soft singing, and then a sweet solo from Peter Lindgren, although this is merely one example of their diversity, the rest would take ages to explain, but I can safely say, fans of progressive metal will not be disappointed, now to the actual musicianship, each member is a virtuoso at his respective instrument, and the addition of keyboards gives this album a certain eeriness that previous efforts didn't have, the styles I guess would be death metal mixed with jazz, folk, classical and psychedelic, I reckon the best approach to listen to this album, is to sit down and listen to the full thing from start to finish, this is not just some single-driven LP released by the next hardcore/generic metal band, it is a musical journey that will change your views on what metal should be, but only if you let it, I also must say that the album artwork is amazing, I like looking through the booklet to see some of the paintings. // 10

Lyrics: The entire record follows the concept of a man killing his mother and coping with it afterwards, the lyrics are really deep and thoughtful, it takes a good deal of analysing them to understand what they truly mean, but those are probably my favourite style of lyrics, so I have no complaint, but some may not like it, but hey at least you still have the music, which brings out a pile of emotions itself, and Mikael's vocal abilities are unmatched when it comes to growling, although his singing may be out of this world, it doesn't match the talents of Mike Patton and Maynard James Keenan, but still, in terms of what Opeth are on their own without comparisons, Mikael's singing is perfect for them and I must say no matter whether he is growling over a heavy-as-hell riff-fest or he is singing over a soft acoustic guitar/piano line, his talent as a vocalist is undeniable. // 10

Overall Impression: In terms of songwriting and innovation in death metal, Opeth hold the crown, their music is interesting to listen to, and I can admit that when I first bought this album I did not really like it that much, not because I thought it sucked, but because I wasn't as open-minded as I am now, so the CD lay on shelf for months, but meanwhile I was getting introduced to bands like Mr. Bungle, Tool, Tomahawk, Rush, Fantomas and A Perfect Circle, so when I had gotten used to their respective sounds, I decided I would give Opeth another go and now I haven't been able to stop listening to it, there isn't a weak track on here, but I guess I could say my personal favourites would be "Ghost Of Perdition", "The Baying of the Hounds", "Beneath The Mire", "Atonement", and "Hours Of Wealth", but the whole album is kickass, and any fan of progressive music, will enjoy it, I don't have anything negative to say about this album, I can say that if anything was perfect, this album would be closest to it, in terms of metal. // 10

More Opeth reviews rating latest review
+ Deliverance 9.4 11/24/2011