Capricorn Review

orchid: Capricorn
Released: Feb 15, 2011
Genre: Stoner Rock/Doom Metal
Label: The Church Within Records
This is the debut album by the Stoner Rock band Orchid. If you're into Black Sabbath, or Sleep, or other doom/stoner acts, you will just love this one.
 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Capricorn Reviewed by: iommi600, on january 10, 2012

Sound: This is the debut album by the Stoner Rock band Orchid, released in 2011 (do not confuse it with the screamo/metalcore/whatever band with the same name). If you're into Black Sabbath, or Sleep, or other doom/stoner acts, you will just love this one. Actually, the similarity with Black Sabbath by the era of "Vol. 4" or "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" is sometimes creepy. You listen it and sometimes you think that Tony Iommi lost a tape in the 70's with some really great riffs. The guitar tone sounds really great, the bass is powerful and the drums match up their sound really well, with some really good fills and rhythm. So, it looks like I'm even overdoing it here, but no. This band is like a son of Black Sabbath. The album goes from some really quick and straight to the point rock riffing, to songs with more tendencies to space rock and even with some dark/morbid metal riffs. A great record, at all. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album talks pretty much about unreal things or hallucination/trips. We can see some really good lines at some points, like in "Electric Father" or "Albatross". There's not really so much to say about them, but they're pretty cool. Sure thing, they took a few shrooms to be written. As for the vocals, this guy here sounds like a young Ozzy, but with a slightly different tone of voice. And his voice can be really powerful at some times, and really kinda like Ozzy: high-pitched, but not much. Pretty good. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, I think that what had to be said here, was said. Like I've said, if you're into stoner rock, or doom metal, or especially if you love the 70's Black Sabbath, listen to this. You will not be disappointed. In my opinion, the best songs here are "He Who Walks Alone", "Eyes Behind The Wall" and "Albatross", but, believe me, all songs here are really nice. That's something you can expect from a band that drinks in the fountain of Black Sabbath. So, to shorten things here, just listen to it, it's amazing. And if you're like these ones that whine and complain about rock and roll being dead, this will fall like a brick in your head with a huge "No, it isn't" written on it. // 10

More Orchid reviews rating latest review
+ Heretic [EP] 6.4 10/08/2012