Cold Mountain Review

Original Soundtrack: Cold Mountain
Release Date: Dec 9, 2003
Label: DMZ/Columbia
Genres: Neo-Traditional Folk
This wonderful soundtrack really creates the atmosphere of the South during the Civil War era.
 4.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Cold Mountain Reviewed by: Geek_Aus, on may 22, 2006

Sound: This album is the soundtrack to the 2003 movie 'Cold Mountain.' The songs range from lively and upbeat foot-stamping country songs, to piano based and sweet melodies. Artists included are Gabriel Yared, Reeltime Travelers, Alison Krauss, Tim Eriksen, Riley Baugus, Tim O'Brien, Stuart Duncan, Dirk Powell, Cassie Franklin, Sacred Harp Singers at Liberty Church and The White Stripes' Jack White. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of some of the songs are really moving, such as 'I Wish My Baby Was Born.' The use of description is really forceful and emotion provoking. However, on some of the tracks it's hard to decipher exactly what is being sung, especially on 'I'm Going Home' and 'Idumea, ' because a large group of people are singing. // 10

Overall Impression: My favourite songs are Jack White's mellow 'Wayfaring Stranger' and the lively 'Christmas Time Will Soon Be Over,' the mournful 'I Wish My Baby Was Born,' and the haunting 'Idumea.' My main criticism is that the songs tend to sound the same after a while. If it were lost or stolen or something I definately would buy it again. It's an awesome album, and anyone who's into country music should def buy it. I wasn't into country music when I first saw 'Cold Mountain,' but was blown away by the soundtrack. // 9

More Original Soundtrack reviews rating latest review