Happiness Is Not A Fish You Can Catch Review

our lady peace: Happiness Is Not A Fish You Can Catch
Release Date: Sep 28, 1999
Label: Sony
Genres: Post-Grunge, Alternative Pop/Rock
It's easy to respect what Our Lady Peace is trying to do with its third album, but it would be easier to like it if the band actually had succeeded.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.1
 8.9
 9.3
Happiness Is Not A Fish You Can Catch Reviewed by: TheBirdman, on october 21, 2006

Sound: Our Lady Peace did a great theme with this album soundwise. Tracks like Thief and Waited capture a more polished side of the band even though most of this album is not very polished and smooth. Tracks like Annie, Lying Awake, Concequences of Laughing and Is Anybody Home capture some of the most upbeat and unique sounds Our Lady Peace has produced. The OoooOooOoo's of Is Anybody Home will send rushes of satisfaction down your spine while the beat of Annie will make you intune with the lyrics of the song. Infact, every song on this album has sounds that support the vocals very nicely. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album almost all focus on the same audience, teenagers. With that in mind, the lyrics are mostly about issuses that an average teenager may have. For example, "I remember falling, I remember marching, Like a one man army" and, "I know you must be upset, I can't find meaning. I'm sorry, we're sorry, We're all scared, all scared." Most of the songs tackle this type of theme making for a great theme as a overall album. Someone may find these type of lyrics a bit repetitive but you don't really care when you're acctually listining to the album. // 9

Overall Impression: Naveed was a untammed clash of sounds that brought Our Lady Peace into the music scene. Clumsy was the darkest album released by the band to date and propelled them to new hights. With that in mind, Our Lady Peace was under a lot of pressure with thier 3rd release. What they brought to the table this time is probably the most confident Our Lady Peace you have seen yet. // 10

Happiness Is Not A Fish You Can Catch Reviewed by: SameOld, on september 10, 2008

Sound: Boy, the CD sure does have a long title - these will probably be your first words when looking at Our Lady Peace' third album - 'Happiness Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch'. Perhaps it is indicative of the sound scape that they attempt to cover here, with Mike Turner's guitar being complemented by a series of odd instruments such as bells, pianos and general electronics. That isn't to say Our Lady Peace are attempting to shift significantly, that are still first and foremost a rock band, as demonstrated with the belligerent opener 'One Man Army'. Turner's guitar screams around at all angels, with multiple tracks obviously lain down in order to truly flesh out the sound of Our Lady Peace. It almost seems like he took a note from Oasis' 'Be Here Now' with his guitar-work, utilizing extreme layering to produce a dense wall-of-sound CD. The bass is there, but it remains a rhythm instrument, not to say that it isn't, but it's disappointing to see Duncan Coutts come up with such lackluster tunes, most of which seem dwarfed in comparison to Jeremy Taggart's impressive, still-expanding drumming which, as always, is displayed prominently, though it is slightly disappointing to see it muddled behind Mike Turner's guitar-layering. // 8

Lyrics: As you may imply from the long title of the CD, Raine Maida seems to discuss Happiness prominently throughout the album, and he's becoming thankfully less cryptic about his subject-matter. Songs like 'Happiness And The Fish' discuss boredom with security and the tragic power-ballad 'Thief' display an open emotional frontman singing about life, and how easy it is to take away. Not that his lyrics about intentionally setting televisions on fire were bad, but stretched metaphors dont work well commercially, which is the scene Our Lady Peace is trying to break into. Maida's voice still remains nasal, moreso than on Clumsy. At this point it almost becomes a liability, with some tracks plagued with annoying samples like the repeated droning "Ahhhhhh" of 'Blister'. On some tracks his whine tarnishes what would have been otherwise good tracks, the chorus on 'Is Anybody Home' being a prime example - whoever decided to doubletrack the chorus should be fired. Raine Maida still remains the least solid, if not most recognizable member of Our Lady Peace. // 8

Overall Impression: Our Lady Peace turns out a respectable CD, the overall sound is very large, and though they grasp for that larger-than-life pop-rockish feel, they never truly achieve it. Instead they end up sounding like they flipped Clumsy upside down, overdubbed the guitars and threw in a drum solo by Alvin Jones for good measure. It's good, not great. The exceptional tracks are many, the melancholy 'Thief', spacey opener 'One Man Army', the crunching chorus guitar work by Mike Turner on 'Consequences of Laughing' deserves a mention, and the overlooked 'Lying Awake' is a great addition to Our Lady Peace's catalog as a truly pounding song that stands solid amidst Happiness' uneven 11 tracks. // 8

More Our Lady Peace reviews rating latest review