Pay-Per-View-Love Review

Outcry Collective: Pay-Per-View-Love
Release Date: Sep 3, 2007
Label: Modo
Genres: Rock
As a debut calling card, the admittedly awfully titled five-tracker Pay-Per-View-Love is a trump hidden up an expensively shabby-looking sleeve.
 8.7
 9.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Pay-Per-View-Love Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 30, 2007

Sound: There's something different about this band's sound that I can't quite pin down... They are very metal-ish, yeah, but it sounds more like metal with a twist. Usually, I shun metal as soon as I hear it because it's not my thing, but with these guys, they sound more technical maybe more talented? I don't know what it is, but there's something about them that I like... something that brings them out of the ordinary. The drums don't sound too over-used on most of the tracks, which is a nice thing to hear. The guitar parts are typical of metal music; a lot of power chords and use of pentatonic scales in solos and fills, but that ain't so bad, because it works well with the music. There are some very catchy guitar parts on Lennons At Night and New Franchise Mess that keep you hooked to listen to more of their songs. The bass lines are pretty much what you would expect from a band like them; it follows what the guitar is playing and more often than not, just plays root notes. I can't fault them for any of it, however, because it all comes with the style of music. // 9

Lyrics: I'll never see the point in screamo, or the point in roaring into a microphone, but it's used on here. It fits the music fine, but it's not something that I could sit and listen to for hours on end. The fact that vocals are much quieter than anything else on the tracks doesn't help the singer's rating. It's a good thing that they aren't louder than everything else because that would just sound stupid. The lyrics themselves are pretty unrecognisable at points unless you read the lyrics sheet. It's not too big of a problem if you're based around moshing/head banging to the music, but if you're a strict lyricist, then you might have some sort of grudge out because of it. Overall, the vocals/lyrics fit the style of music very well, so I can't hold anything against them. // 7

Overall Impression: They remind me almost of a fairly heavy band called Underoath, so if you're into their stuff, you'll like this. This band definitely has some sort of charm about them that, like I said, you can't put your finger on. Should you go out and buy it? That's entirely up to your taste in music and on how fussy you are about your taste in music. Personally, it's not my type of thing, but it's definitely worth a listen. // 8

Comments