Speak Of The Devil Review

ozzy osbourne: Speak Of The Devil
Release Date: Sep 1982
Label: Jet
Genres: British Metal, Album Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Neo-Classical Metal
Speak Of The Devil ends up solid throughout, if somewhat unremarkable at times.
 9.5
 9.7
 9.2
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Speak Of The Devil Reviewed by: derek5, on june 05, 2007

Sound: I picked up this CD for $10 bucks at Wal-Mart about a month ago and have to say it is one of the best sounding albums I have ever heard. This was supposed to be a recorded live show to display the live set for the Diary of A Madman tour. At the last minute it was changed to feature only Black Sabbath covers so that it could compete with Black Sabbath's latest live album, Live Evil, which featured Ozzy's replacement, Ronnie James Dio. Unfourtunately, Randy Rhoads had died just months earlier and is filled in by Brad Gilles on this album. There are no innovations because most of the songs were written 8 to 12 years prior. // 9

Lyrics: Black Sabbath had some of the best lyrics of all time! From songs about drugs (Snowblind, Fairies Wear Boots, Sweet Leaf), to songs about war and revenge (War Pigs, Iron Man), to songs about the world's impending doom (Children Of The Grave, Black Sabbath). All the lyrics relate perfectly to the music in the way that they both make a cringe go through your body. Ozzy sounds great on this album except that in few songs his voice sounds even higher than usual. // 10

Overall Impression: This is honestly better than any other live Black Sabbath albums (even Reunion). It may not be quite as good as The Randy Rhoads Tribute Album, but it is still completely mind blowing. In my opinion the best songs are Fairies Wear Boots, which is given even more edge here, and Sympton Of The Universe because it's just so powerfull and a great opening number. I would recommend this to any fan of good music and if it were stolen or lost I would buy it again the first chance I got. // 10

More Ozzy Osbourne reviews rating latest review