A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Review

panic at the disco: A Fever You Can't Sweat Out
Released: Sep 27, 2005
Label: Fueled By Ramen
Genres: Rock
This is a rock record you can dance to; that's fun and sincere at the same time.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.6
 8.9
 8.2
A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 03, 2005

Sound: When you first hear a band like Panic! At the Disco, you hear the most of synth-rock through their songs. With melodic guitar riffs, the bumping of the bassist, badass drumrolls and one of the most original voices you've ever heard, Panic At The Disco will make you want to dance while making you feel wonderful that you've discovered a band that is so addicting, a band that never gets old. // 10

Lyrics: Don't let that stop you from listening to what these guys have to say. Drawing a lot of their album from movies about exotic dancers and the broken boys that get them to famous lines in famous books, Panic! At The Disco's new album "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" gives you a sense of realism through the words. These men have definitely found a way come up with original lyrics as well as cliches, making their lyrics beyond amazing. "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" paints a clear picture of the story being told through this album. From the avid descriptions of weddings to the depressing walls of hospitals this CD is more than the lyrics and music it's composed of. This album is more or less physical art. // 10

Overall Impression: The singer's voice actually reminds me of Fall Out Boy. This band is actually like Fall Out Boy with a hint of Hellogoodbye and maybe some Finch. Fueled by Ramen and Decaydance definitely did a good favor for us by signing these guys. The songs I really love on this album are "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off," "camisado" and "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies." I love this album because it lacks the words "she left me." I bought two copies of this Album yesterday at best buy, one for my car and one for my computer desk, I would have no problem buying this CD twice more. These guys are great, the album is amazing. // 10

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on march 05, 2013

Sound: Panic! At The Disco burst onto the scene in 2005 with a "haven't you people ever heard of closing the god**** door." Consisting of singer Brendon Urie and lyricist/composer Ryan Ross (I promise you won't notice Spencer Smith anywhere on the record), "A Fever You Can't Sweat" was released on Pete Wentz's Decaydance Records (and, subsequently, Fueled By Ramen) shortly after the band's High School graduation (with the exception of Ross, a former college student). The previously-quoted "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies" launched them into fame primarily in the demographic best described as "tweenies", consisting of girls aged anywhere between twelve and seventeen. To the handful of people reading this with absolutely no knowledge of the band, they were indeed a favorite of followers of the mid-2000s "emo" movement, whether intentionally or not. Unlike somewhat more blatant examples (Fall Out Boy, The All-American Rejects, and My Chemical Romance), Panic! burst onto the scene with less emotional intent and more sexual interest. The result is an album that struggles between a mature narrative and an uncomfortably almost-too-young high school flavor. Identity confusion isn't the only weakness "Fever" suffers from. As mentioned before, the band has a hard time showcasing half its members; the record very much revolves around Ross and Urie. This ends up being most crippling in the lyrics department, though it vicariously interferes with musical strength as well; to be frank, there were not enough cooks in the kitchen. It seems that the oldest kid (Ross) and the "talent" (Urie) essentially took the reigns. As well as there being very little identity within the album itself, the band as a whole has a difficult time communicating just what kind of band they are a three-and-then-four-piece or something more along the lines of Nine Inch Nails, with perhaps a couple of composers but not necessarily a band in the traditional sense of the word. There isn't necessarily a problem with this, but it certainly seems to constrict input from the other guy he plays, but the music all has essentially the same suspiciously Ross-featuring-Urie taste. On that note, the music certainly boasts a pleasant stylistic variety. The first half is a fuzzy, electro/pop/rock/emo (how "emo" was determined and categorized at the time is beyond me) frenzy with dark-ish humor (sort of) and self-important rambling about "web-zines" and the like, where the second half (introduced with a charming but predictable interlude) is more representative of what Panic! is generally known for: vaudeville, macabre, and darkly theatrical sexual imagery. Despite the sure-to-impress-the-impressionable curve (more than one distinctive style on an album?! Impossible!), all of the best tracks end up on the second half (that is, the few cuts worth paying attention to), and the album's identity is only fully realized at that point. Everything prior to "Intermission" is sloppier sonically, lyrically, and in Urie's vocal performance. The opening "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage" (Fall Out Boy titles, anyone?) is weak and has little sense of where to go, (Urie's promise to "shake it up" is only too realized), "Time To Dance" is utterly painful (more on that later), "London Beckoned Songs About Money Written By Machines" (seriously, what's with these titles?) is bizarrely pretentious for a debut, and while "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off" is decent throughout each of the verses, the choruses are truly irritating. Even with an interesting second half, "Fever" fails in all the worst places, sounding as immature as the high school graduates' frontal lobes. The tracks in each half either sound identical to or slightly worse than the rest, and it really isn't very pleasant listening it can be debated, for example, that a band such as The All-American Rejects doesn't sound terribly realized in earlier works, but at the very least, it isn't such a chore to listen to. // 5

Lyrics: I have a lot to say about the lyrical content of the record, and so I'll knock vocal performance out of the way. The comparisons between Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump and Brendon Urie are mostly inaccurate; Stump is influenced by soul artists, while Urie is more akin to performers in musical theatre. Either way, Urie is the less impressive. He sounds painfully sloppy on the earlier tracks (not helped by Ross overloading him with... well, words), and rarely (if ever) shines before the second half. The kid's just out of high school in this release, and so little is to be expected, but he doesn't necessarily disgust too terribly often. As I mentioned, it's hard to expect much from a couple of high school graduates and a college dropout - as in the case of Blink-182. Coincidentally, Panic! began as a blink cover band. I'll let you decide who had greater success at each respective age. Regardless, the smart move, one would think, would be not to release undercooked material especially from a band who had never once performed for an audience. Apparently, Panic! didn't get the memo. I'll spare you the hit-or-miss analytical rant and give a few tasty examples. "Sit tight, I'm gonna need you to keep time/Come on, just snap, snap, snap your fingers for me/Good, good; now we're making some progress"; "Applause, applause; no, wait, wait/Dear studio audience, I've an announcement to make"; "So we'll pick back up on that on another page"; "Well, we're just a wet dream for the web-zines/Make us it, make us hip, make us scene"; "Watch your mouth/Oh, oh, oh/Because your speech is slurred enough/That you just might swallow your tongue"; "'Cause that's just ridiculously odd" (or "on;" sources vary anyone have the book on 'em?); "Let's get these teen hearts beating faster, faster"; "Praying for love in a lap dance/And paying in naivety"; "Oh/Well imagine"; "Faux affliction... Faux sermons" (because a fancy word like "faux" needs to be used more than once); "When did he get all confidence?"; "Any practiced Catholic would cross themselves upon entering"; and, finally, "Haven't you people ever heard of/Closing the god**** door?" While there is nothing terribly wrong with a lyric-centric or even wordy album, "Fever" pushes buttons throughout; if you need an example, look above. In all seriousness, "Fever" is so obsessed with its own inner dialogue "I'm the narrator and this is just the prologue" and takes itself seriously enough "Panic, meet the press" that it's difficult to discern any real message or purpose from the songs. Yes, the themes are certainly present infidelity, suicide, and so forth but Panic! offers little insight or opinion. Examples include condescension towards corrupt religious establishment in "I Constantly Thank God For Esteban", but it is difficult to discern whether Panic! is part of the problem (and enjoying it), intends to punish those who are, or genuinely desires improvement (the least likely, though suggested in a somewhat facetious phrase). The greatest offenders are, of course, those suggesting that Panic! is some kind of a big deal. Had the record been any less successful, it would sound pretentious; as things are, it sounds like the asshole in front of you who won an arbitrary debate by a profoundly slight margin, yet insists upon celebrating it like he's won the lottery. Finally, "Fever" is often painfully descriptive (see some of the more narrative lyrics above), which tends to remove any potential emotional core from the equation. These aren't songs one relates to; the attitude, if anything, is the connective tissue of the record. That being said, those who will connect most deeply with Ross and Urie are jaded, condescending, bitter, somewhat educated, and profane. In other words, the polar opposite of their target audience. In this sense, "Fever" truly fails to reach anyone its lyricist has too much to say, is too superficial about it to attract a larger audience, (only pop culture reference save Panic! from alienating aforementioned 12-to-17-year-olds), yet only interests those he does because he demands nothing of them. // 4

Overall Impression: I don't think, nearly a decade and two albums later, that anyone ever believed Panic! consisted of a single musical genius, let alone was a brilliant act to begin with. Yes, it did its job in selling to a demographic large enough to bring attention to themselves (which, judging by the lyrics, was the band's only intent), but is entirely mediocre otherwise. The two styles are distinct enough to make the curve a nice twist (I don't know what I'd do if I had to review thirteen tracks of that messy techno/rock/pop/thing), but it isn't until then that the album becomes enjoyable. Until then, Urie is painful, the writing is just bad, the music is sloppy, and there really isn't much to enjoy when you put them together. Though it certainly isn't fair to compare to future releases - no one reviewing at the time of the release was able to, obviously - as much as it's been slated by Panic! fans (the same dedicated drones who somehow see merit in this mess), "Pretty.Odd.", whether redundant in the Beatlesey formula or not, is the strongest of the two. It knew what it wanted, it knew what it was, and it certainly wasn't trying to prove anything (with the exception of "you don't have to worry 'cause we're still the same band") or shove Panic! down your throat. Whether I think "Fever" is a load of crap or not doesn't change the album's sales, but it is important for a critic (I think) to put things like album comparisons into perspective. On that note, that is precisely what "Fever" lacks perspective. The band attempts to tackle subjects that are a bit mature for them, and though they certainly approach some of it with an interesting angle, this isn't an album of consequences; there is no opinion. Even a performer like Marilyn Manson, whose ultimate desire has been stated to step out of the teacher's chair and only challenge listeners to assess themselves (and, hell, most artists in some way attempt this), Panic! presents no such challenge. Most of the time, the record doesn't even state what it thinks. Sure, "Camisado" recognizes that drug addiction (or suicide or something) isn't a pretty thing, but offers no insight as to what the problem is, why it happens, or what solutions may exist. In the end, "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" only proposes that there is a sky, falling short of telling us just what it is.

// 5

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2006

Sound: Their sound is not unlike any other emo band out there today. They, however, are the worst. The only band they are better than that I can think of off the top of my head is Relient K. I compare those two because both lead singers have terrible annoying whiny voices. None of the musicians in the band are very talented and the music is very simple and fairly catchy. // 4

Lyrics: In my opinion, whoever wrote the songs sort of let the lyrics go, meaning that they know they have a cliche sound that will get stuck in your head easily whether the lyrics are good or not. And that frankly is unacceptable in the world of music because your lyrics have to at least make sense in order to attract major attention. Another reason they let the lyrics go is because their name is "Panic! At The Disco" which I hate to say is a very cool name. And the only reason people say they are fans of them is cause they think it sounds cool. // 3

Overall Impression: One thing I would like to state is that some critic with his head up his ass compared this group to Depeche Mode and The Killers. Just because they have the word disco in their name shouldn't compare them to the likes of Depeche Mode. This is a terrible album. If someone stole it from me, I would dance with joy. And if no one stole it or would take it for free, I would pay them to get it away from me. Panic! At The Disco is a cool name but won't get them anywhere musically. // 3

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 11, 2005

Sound: First off, this is probably the most well produced first album a band could make. Everything sounds so clean and crisp. The CD plays out like this: the first 7 songs are techno induced, complete with drum machines and synths. Then an intermisson, then the last 5 songs are classical, with vaudeville piano ad cello. Along with the named instruments there is: violin, honty-tonk piano, acordian, and (best of all) trumpet. // 10

Lyrics: Some of the best lyrics by any band in the past 10 years. These guys rank up their with Modest Mouse and Take This To Your Grave by Fall Out Boy. With that being said, I think that P! ATD does Fall Out Boy better then Fall Out does. Brandon Urie's voice is alot like Patrick Stump of FOB, but that is where the likeness ends. Brandon's voice has a more innocent tone and his is better then Pat's. The lyrics, which are written by Ryan Ross, are some of the best I've evr heard. With stuff like, "Give me envy, give me malice, give me attention, When I say shotgun, you say wedding, shotgun, wedding." They use cliches and book sayings like it was no one's buisness. Overall, this is the best lyrics you can find. // 10

Overall Impression: There is nothing you can compare P!ATD to. People say they are the next Fall Out Boy but that is so wrong. Fall Out Boy doesn't make catchy dance toons with scathing lyrics. If they did, then P!ATD would be poser. I think Pete Wentz made a mistake signing these guys, because they will get way bigger then Fall Out Boy. If this CD was lost I'd buy it again, and again, and again. I can't wait to see what these kids have in store for their next album. The problem about making a perfect record is that you have to top it. // 10

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: ShrimpthePimp, on august 01, 2006

Sound: After listening to their CD, I must admit it's tight. Their music is good, with some awesome drumrolls. They remind me of Fall Out Boy with keyboards. They have some really good stuff, and they have different instruments in some of their songs. For example, in "There's A Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet" they have a trumpet in it. They already have two singles from their debut albumb; I Write Sins Not Tragidies && But It's Better If You Do. I hope they can write some more good songs on their next albumb. // 9

Lyrics: The song titles have nothing to do with the songs, but don't let that turn you away. The lyrics are amazing, even though they're really random. The If you actually read the lyrics, they make sense and they manage to tell a story. They really did a good job. // 9

Overall Impression: This CD is pretty cool. Although, as I have said before, they remind me a lot of Fall Out Boy with keyboards. Personally, I think that the band is overrated and they're getting much more attention than they deserve. Sorry, but I must get this out. I have heard people call them "emo" and they are far from it. Emo bands are Silverstein, Hawthorne Heights (I might've spelled that wrong), From First To Last, Atreyu, My Chemical Romance, etc. // 9

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 17, 2006

Sound: The unique sound of Panic! At the Disco amalgamates up-beat techno with fast paced punk. This combination could be fatal if not mixed just the right way. The lead vocalist, you will often hear, sounds quite similar to that of the band 'Fall Out Boy', but that you will find is the only similarity between the two bands. P!ATD has a very unique sound despite the vocal similarity to FOB. The lyrics are given in perfect harmony with the drum and bass machines, as well as the electronic sounds. P!ATD is really like nothing you've ever heard before. // 10

Lyrics: Finally lyrics that deserve the beautiful voice sung by them. After hearing Fall Out Boy I couldn't help but ask for more. More depth, more innovation, and maybe a risk or two. P!ATD is where you'll find it. After noticing the obvious similiarities in the vocals of FOB and P!ATD, P!ATD wasn't FOB reborn, but I believe that the creativity of P!ATD's album, A Fever You Can't Sweat Out, out weighs FOB and P!ATD deserves ample praise for taking a risk and becoming a much better band than FOB ever has been. The story in "Build God, Than We'll Talk" about sex, prostitution, and corruption of the judicial system and the law, unfolds suprisingly well. The lead vocalist, Brandon Urie, repeating towards the end of the song "Rain drops on roses, and girls in white dresses, and sleeping with roaches" is fitting for the depressing theme manifested throughout the tragic tune. This song is well placed, on the second half of the album which is put together along with four other songs, replete with acoustics, violins, and cello's, but not overdone. The first half is done with the techno beats and much faster vocals. Overall the entire is a masterpiece whether its Urie wailing "When I say shot gun, you say wedding" in the first half or "What a wonderful caricature of intimacy" in the second half, the album doesn't disappoint. // 10

Overall Impression: The album isn't some monumental standpoint, but nonetheless it is a great album. The song that I believe will become very popular, very quickly will be "The Only Difference Between Martydom And Suicide Is Press Coverage." It's up beat acoustic guitar and some of the catchiest lyrics I've ever heard will no doubt give this song extensive radio play, as long as DJ's can get over the fact that Urie, the lead vocalist, and Pete Wentz sound almost exactly the same. The lyrics for "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off" I feel will also reach a lot of those depressed, heart broken kids out there. With Urie screaming "Testosterone boys and harlequin girls, will you dance to this beat and hold a lover close" how can you resist? If ever lost my P!ATD, I'd probably have to go through the trouble of downloading some more, which is no trouble at all. This album may not be a monumental standpoint for emo/punk artists everywhere, but it is definitely worth the twenty minutes it takes to download the entire cd off of Lime Wire. I'm not advertising piracy here, I can honestly say that if this cd were not on Lime Wire I could definetly shell out the fifteen bucks for it. So do yourself a favor and get a Person to Person file sharing program or get a job and by this cd, you won't be disappointed. // 10

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 07, 2006

Sound: Panic! At The Disco Comes from LA, which reflects a lot on their electro-rock-good sound, which I must say, is very refreshing. In "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out", they perform quite a wide range of music, from a futuristic sounding "Time To Dance," a more narrative "There's a Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey" to a slow, depraved yet almost relaxing "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off." Listening to the whole album, one would understand what I'm trying to remonstrate on; no two songs sounds simillar from each other, at all. Panic! At The Disco has a very distinct sound from any one else, but I do notice slight influences on the style of delivery from bands such as Third Eye Blind. But alas, I am quite a detective. // 10

Lyrics: I love the story-telling way Brendan Urie delivers his lyrics, with great depth and timbre, a little like how "Counting Crows" or dare I mention "Fall Out Boy" does it. On a more personal note, I actually think that Brendan could sing most of FOB's songs, because for me, they're voices and singing styles are much alike. Anyway, Panic! At The Disco's lyrics are genius. They are melodious, so much that one would probably only know the right words after listening to the same song sevral times. Their song titles reveal absolutely nothing about the song, but thats what makes it cool. It's brilliant how lyrics from "London Beckoned Songs About Money Written By Machines" a story told on how they will disregard critics and the such or how "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off" depicts on how "too good" he was for an ex. In "I Constantly Thank God For Esteban," Panic razes hyprcritial preachers and what not. I love it. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression on this album is excellent. I love it. Three of the (very carefully chosen) top listens for me would be: Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off, The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage, I Constantly Thank God For Esteban. Finally, one should remember that this is Panic! At The Disco's first ever album. I, for one, can see the reason why they're roping in fans each passing day. Renowned musicians on the first try, they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as (I dare say) Guns N' Roses. Great vocals, perfect drumming and beautiful effects. Bullseye on the first try, an album this well put-together is definately worth buying. // 10

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 17, 2006

Sound: After listening to the sound of the music, all I can say is that it is wonderful. The music is annoyingly catchy, and I am singing it everywhere I go. on first impressions I would say the best song is "Time To Dance". With "I constantly thank god for esteban" close behind. the album is split into two halves, the more futuristic sound at the beginning, a short intermission, then more caberet sound at the end. I think the second half is better than the first, but I think they both are very, very good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very strange. Ryan Ross is a genius with his lyrics. Sentences like "When your in black slacks with essentuating off white pinstripes" is an example of some of his best work. But looking at the lyric book, I am stunned to see the amount of death-like lyrics in the album. Stuff like "blood at her feet," "Blood from the hearts and the wrists they allegedly slit," "She's not bleeding on the ballroom floor just for the attention" and many more. Yet the lyrics are brilliant and seem to tell a story in every song. Brendon definitly delivers these lyrics perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: This band is supposed to be a copy of Fall Out Boy. But I think they are very different. Panic's songs are very, very catchy, they're lyrics seem a lot more meaningful than FOB's, and they also have the whole showtune, caberet thing working for them, unlike FOB. I think Panic's album is way better than Fall Out Boy's. // 10

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: vhhendrixcrazy, on august 23, 2006

Sound: Panic! At The Disco have a very unique sound. They use accordions, organs, and keyboards to sustain their sound. Some people compare them to Fall Out Boy, and I can see why. Their singing sounds a bit similar from each other but I can definitely tell from the uniqueness in P!ATD Urie's voice. The genre might be classified as emo/punk, but P!ATD doesn't even sound that emo. They're more like the techno/dance genre than the emo genre. I really like the drum beats to most of the songs. // 8

Lyrics: To be honest, they're not even writing about cutting their wrists or anything like that. Their lyrics are very well written and they tell a story. Some songs have some weird lyrics but that gives them that "uniqueness" factor. For example, It's these substandard motels on the/ lalalalala/ corner of 4th and Fremont Street. It's very odd how they add the "lalalalala" part in the middle of that line, it's very odd. // 9

Overall Impression: At first I really hated Panic! especially maybe because of the "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" song. I would hear it on the radio and I'll be like "ugh, I don't like emo music". I was ignorant and I didn't even give them a chance. A couple of months later, I was talking to a friend who loves Panic! and she would go on and on about Panic! So I thought I would give it a listen because I liked this one song "The Only Difference" and then it led to another song after another. Eventually all the songs would grow on me. So it about a month to actually like Panic! I just gave it some time and I was satisfied was their sound. Their notable ones include, "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" (this song grew on me quite a bit), my favorite one is "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off", "The Only Difference", "I Constantly Thank God For Esteban", "Build God Then We'll Talk", "But It's Better If You Do". This is pretty much half of the CD, the other ones are OK, but they might take time to grow on me. I'm not really satisfied with the track "Camisado", it sounds like Motion City Soundtrack's "The Future Freaks Me Out". After giving time to listen to their tracks, I wouldn't mind buying it again. // 8

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: Mynor13, on december 26, 2005

Sound: Great unique sounding songs with weird effects. But the singer does remind me of Patrick of Fall Out Boy. But you cant blame the for having the same singing voice. Anyway it's awesome and you wouldnt regret getting it. // 10

Lyrics: Strange lyrics yet brilliant. Very sexual lyrics, but what band doesnt have songs about sex now-a-days. They are just catchy lyrics that stay in you're head all day. Smooth smart remarks you could say to your enemies, and they would not have any idea what you are talking about. Also great song titless, long, but they are kinda funny, and something you could just fall in love with. // 10

Overall Impression: Worth every penny you spend on it, you'll fall in love with it. One of the flaws though is the little interludes it has between certain tracks. But it's awesome, totally recommended. // 10

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: mellorocker, on december 27, 2005

Sound: A Fever You Cant Sweat Out is probably one of the most original CD's I have heard all year. Panic! blends theyre own extreamly original style of synth-pop-punk with very creative electric and accoustic guitar. They have the ability to make samples of nearly anything sound cool. From full brass bands to spainish classical guitar to accordian to rain falling. All in all it's truly amazingly original. // 10

Lyrics: Panic!'s lyrics are faux paus and socialite, extreamly cocky, and geniunely heartfelt. I would share some of thier lyrics but its much better to hear them and think "oh my gosh, did he just say that?" In a way they're slightly reminiscent of fall out boy meets The Academy Is... mixed with a sort of classiness. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is an extreamly creative CD. A blast to listen to. Super catchy, thought there's not much in the way of emotionally inspiring but definetly worth buying. // 9

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: trivial, on january 23, 2006

Sound: This band has lots of different styles and influences in their music. With uses of accordian, organs, cellos and trumpets along with the usual instruments (guitat, drums, bass) the listening is interesting. One song sounds french, anouther sounds like a classic rock track, there's a suprise in every song. // 10

Lyrics: Random, thats all I can say about the lyrics. Some themes about feeling leftout and different others about relationships. Sounds normal until you give it a listen. The vocals remind me of Patrick Stump from Fall Out Boy but they are good and well in tune. // 10

Overall Impression: If I ever broke this CD I would get it again. the best songs for me on thsi album are 'I Write Sins Not Tragedies' and 'Time To Dance' One thing that is annoying the band have wasted 2 songs for an introduction and interlude. That's all the rest is great. // 10

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: KingsOfRonin, on february 16, 2006

Sound: They are so catchy. This is some of the most likeable music anywhere. This is just the kinda music that makes you want to dance. Again, like you've heard, they sound alot like Fall Out Boy, but they add a few things, and are ultimately, in the end, better. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good but nothing to worship. They do have a fair share of syncopation, which impresses happens to impress me. The only thing about their lyrics is that they're a little hard to sing along with because of all of the techno effects and syncopations. Another thing: if you don't like, or won't listen to an album if it has a fair ammount of cursing in it, then you may not like this because "G-D" is actually used in one of the songs chorus's. There are more swears scattered throughout their other songs too. If you wanna know what the singer sounds like, just listen to Fall Out Boy. I'm just under the impression that the singer from P!ATD has a little more skill. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of my favorite albums. A good blend of skill, catchy riffs, rythyms, and synths. Like I said, a better version of FOB. If I happened to lose the album, I would definately buy it again. // 10

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: guitaristclass, on march 01, 2006

Sound: This album is excelent, the sound of it is far superior to that of Fall Out Boy (who are also good). They are deffinatly an emo band, but I am not sure if thats what they would like to be labled as. The songs are irritatingly catchy I've been humming the tune for 'I Write Sins Not Tragedies' for about 4 days now. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very relavent to how some people may feel. The subjects of there songs are the usual, but they seem new and different for some reason. However, the music is not of the ordinary, it blends very well with the songs somehow, it's very well done. The singer is awesome, no complaints there. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is far better than any other bands of this genre (I don't see it overtaking led zep or anything in awesomeness though). My favourite song, as I said before, is 'I Write Sins, Not Tragedies' but I like every song in the album. If it were nicked then I wouldn't get it again, it's on my mp3 player but I would deffinatly recommend it. // 10

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: stratkat, on march 14, 2006

Sound: Panic! At The Disco sound very simular to Fall Out Boy only they sound a little techno at times. In fact Pete Wentz, the bass player from Fall Out Boy, started a record company when members of Panic! At The Disco were making fun of Fall Out Boy. Pete went and listened to their demos (so he could make fun of them) and decided to start the record label and sign them. The music style is kind of a punk, techno, emo, sort of dance music kind of sound. // 7

Lyrics: Ryan Ross the guitarist writes the lyrics, Brendon Urie is the singer. The lyrics are catchy and some songs are well written, while a few could have used a little more touching up. The singer sounds alot like Patrick Stump. I couldn't tell you how good of a singer he is but his voice is good. // 9

Overall Impression: This album sounds very simular to Fall Out Boy's album "Take This To Your Grave." The songs that stick out are "I Write Sins Not Tragedies," "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Cloths Off" and "There's A Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet." I like the lyrics and the rhythm of the songs. I don't like some of the lyrics which at a few short moments sound dull or boring. If I something happened to it I would eventually buy it again. // 8

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: joannamcbeth, on july 31, 2006

Sound: Panic! At The Disco's sound is totally different to anything that is out nowadays. many people compare there sound to fallout boy, but I disagree. Panic! has a mixed variety of sounds in this album, including, futuristic, techno, and caberet. Each song with perfect vocals, genius lyrics, and great intruments, including bass, guitar, drums, as well as trumpets, violins, cello, keyboards. Fall Out Boy can not say that they have caberet sounds in with their music. The album has been split up into two parts: the first section with techno themed music, then a short intermission, which completely changes it into the more show tune, caberet style, with the violins and trumpets. The songs that I like the best are "Time To Dance," "The Only Difference Between Martydom And Suicide Is Press Coverage," "I Constantly Thank For God For Esteban" and "Build God, Then We'll Talk" one thing that is annoying about the sound- it gets stuck in your head all the time. I am always singing one of their songs in the shower, while I'm trying to do work, and seriously, where ever I go! // 10

Lyrics: Ryan Ross (the one who writes the lyrics) is a genious at writing. Not only is he 19, he delivers lyrics which I would be amazed if a 40 year old would of wrote! These lyrics are not just about nothing, words that just sound good, but don't make sense, like some other bands, these lyrics tell stories within the song. Brendon Urie, the singer, is perfect for the job of delivering these lyrics, I do not think that Patrick Stump, from Fall Out Boy could deliver these lyrics as good. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this album is fantastic. There is absolutly nothing that I hate about this album, I seriously think, if Panic! bought out "Time To Dance" it would be a massive hit. I can imagine people singing it wherever they go (like me). I have owned an album that cam no.1 in the album chart, and I think this album is much better. There were many songs on that album that I didn't really like, and used to skip whenever they came on. But I would definitly not skip a song on this album. Ever. If this album got stolen, before I would call the cops, I would run to a CD shop and buy this album again. // 10

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: xBored69, on august 21, 2006

Sound: Basically Panic! At The Disco could be there own genre. They have an extremely differnt sound to anyone else I know. Pete from Fall out boy was the producer of this record and I do believe he sings vocals along with Brendan as well, but only for a few songs. The songs that they have comprised on this album are very original there's nothing I know like it. They're basically a combination of hellogoodbye's pop/electronica and the vocals are great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are completely original. I believe that the band stated their lyrics were based on the Masquerade Times. I personally are impressed with the lyrics because they don't rhyme yet they have such a good flow with the sound that band has created. Brendan Urie's Vocal's are absolutely brainwashing. I listened to one song and I was hooked from there on. // 10

Overall Impression: Panic! At The Disco can't really be compared to any other band, their music is to original for it. Although the basic sterotype the band gets is that they sound like Fall Out Boy which is untrue to the max! Fall Out Boy is ultra lame, and sounds way too punk rock. The best songs on the album to me is Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off, London Beckoned Songs about Money Written by Machines, and Relax Relapse (although not that many people have the song). I love the fact that they write about real things yet they're so fake. Noone has ever got me hooked to the music like Panic! They're truly one of a kind. // 10

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: -@GIAN@-, on october 16, 2006

Sound: The CD kicks off with vague sounding radio frequencies and it transitions right into the first song, "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide Is Press Coverage," as if someone had finally found the right station. The first half of the album is a mix between punk rock music with a fair share of electronica/techno that seems to work very well together, though some listeners may be thrown off by this twist. After the single "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off," the CD is interrupted by more radio frequencies and Panic! turns the other direction by replacing the synths with vaudevillian piano and accordians. Again, some people might be turned off by this at first, but they'll soon realize how great it sounds. In my opinion, Panic! At The Disco has a very good handle on their style of music, and this CD is Indie rock at it's best. // 9

Lyrics: Ryan Ross's dark sense of humor and almost cynical outlook on love, relationships, and heartbreak blends perfectly with the music, and in my opinion, the best part of the album. He knows how to create poetry just by twisting words, which is a much more effective technique than simple rhyme and rhythm. Some listeners, however, may find the lyrics too cryptic to understand, but more intelligent listeners won't be able to help but smirk as the read along with the music. As for Brendon Urie, he conveys the emotion of the album with every line. Whether it's despair or cynicism, he sings the lyrics as they should be sung. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great album. It challenges people who only listen to the more conventional bands where all you hear is guitar, drums, and whining singers. Lots of songs stand out, such as the song "There's A Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet", stunning me and other listeners, by it's style alone, not to mention Brendon Urie's jazzy voice. As a guitar player, though, this isn't my favorite album, as there are minimal guitar parts throughout the album making songs like "I write Sins Not Tragedies," near impossible to play. If this album was stolen from me, I'd buy it again. Heck I might by two just in case. // 9

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: panic!attack::., on october 28, 2006

Sound: When I first heard "I Write Sins Not Tragedies," I fell in love with Panic! At The Disco. I had never heard anything like it, and I felt excited everytime I heard it. The sound was kind of like a circus (nothing rhymes with circus, right) and at the same time had the catchy sound of Fall Out Boy, but in it's own right. I know that the band was influenced by Third Eye Blind, The Counting Crows, and Jimmy Eat World, but they are truly unique. In the sounds alone, I can find motivation or solice. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics? At first, they were just more words in a new song that probably said nothing at all. Then, I started listening. Ryan Ross can write the most incredible songs that I have ever heard. I love that every song holds a personal meaning for him, and even still, I can relate them to myself. When I heard "Lying Is The Most Fun..." I recognized the words from the movie "Closer," which I happened to find amazing that they would use a quote from a broken stripper. You know what? Their lyrics are, to me, like great sex that is always fufillng and ends with a big bang. The sound that Brendon Urie gives to Ryan's heartfelt lyrics is a perfect, almost impossible match. When I hear Brendon sing, I feel like he is putting his soul into it, and singing to me alone. Everything that is said by Ryan through Brendon penetrates deep inside the listener and is something that is never forgotten. // 10

Overall Impression: Panic! At The Disco is more than a fad, more than some "new wave gospel." They are a force to be reckoned with a one that will probably never be surpassed. This album does nothing but arouse me, mentally and physically. I would have to say that there is one song on the album that I always listen to, especially when I don't have the time to listen to the whole thing. That song is "Time To Dance." I don't know what it is about it, but it captivates me. I don't think that I have ever been so addicted to a single song, or more a single lyric that I sing all day long. "Have some composure, where is your posture, oh no no. You're pulling the trigger, you're pulling the trigger all wrong." There is nothing about the band or the album that I hate except for the fact that it ends. I also love the way the boys stick to their roots, even though their fame has skyrocketed. There is no way that this album could be lost because it is one of my most treasured possesions. If it were stolen from me, there would be no hesitation to buy another one. Like a crackhead needs his rock, a rock girl needs her Panic! fix. // 10

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: Drew/Dawg, on january 23, 2007

Sound: The sound isn't what I'd call old but something all its own. It's new, it's fresh and it's something I enjoy listening to. It's not so much guitar and drums but more modern day technical instruments that involve some sort of computing to work. I'm not saying I'm gonna go out and buy a machine that I can play to make all these sounds but I'm glad someone is doing it and over all doing it well. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics can be funny, serious, and provocative all at the same time. It makes you appreciate the writer whoever it may be but you of coarse also much give credit to the artists of the piece "Panic! At The Disco" who has always managed to do well with any piece thrown at them and making it their own and making it recognizable. // 9

Overall Impression: This goes beyond their former albums and their most impressive song to me was "Lieing Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off" and "I Write Sins Not Tragedies." I love everything about it. I haven't found a single flaw so help me god. Yes, I would get it again if it was lost without a doubt. // 10

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: crazieinthehead, on april 21, 2007

Sound: This band came out with there first album at around the same time that Fall Out Boy did and they both sound a lot alike. This could be just a coincident but it might not be, there sound is a want to be emo rock band. They kind of sound like it but they also sound like a chick flick pop band, they got huge attention with one song and then every one figured out that they were just posers. These guys have all vocals which I have to give them are pretty impressive. The guitars and drums are droned out by the lyric which is not cool because I like to hear great guitar work in my music. These guys could just be another wana' be one hit wonder band. // 7

Lyrics: These could either be considered really bad or really good if you like winy emo pop rock then you are in for a treat if you are like any other person these lyrics will kill you. The lyrics are good the voice sounds like a teen who hasn't had his balls dropped yet. I mean come on don't sing if your balls are up your ass. The words to these songs are good enough to bear but the way they are sung makes me mad. // 7

Overall Impression: These guys are a weird ass band and they could work harder to get another album out that changes there sound a lot but they could be better. There lyrics are good singing to so much they are a band that needs more real music such as guitar work in there songs. I bought the CD because actually I don't know what possessed me to buy it but I did. If you want to buy it go for it but it kind of sucks a lot. // 5

A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Reviewed by: guitarmang93, on august 04, 2008

Sound: This album is pure genious. The songwriting style is very good, and the way Brendon sings is very cool. The songs are very catchy. The albums is put together very well, starting with "The Only Difference Between Martydom and Suicide is Press Coverage," which in my opinion is one of the best songs on the album. The album ends with "Build God, Then We'll Talk," and it leaves the listener begging for more. The musical styling, although labeled emo by ignorant critics, is very techno inspired. Overall the sound of this record is great. I could, and do, listen to this album every day. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very teen related for lack of a better term. Seeing as the band members are only about 19, this is very normal. The lyrics go with the music quite well. They are not predictable and the singer keeps the listener guessing. The only thing I don't like too much about the lyrics of this album is the fact that it is slightly repetative. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is comprable in terms of lyrical styling to bands like Cute is What We Aim For. Because of the "fashion" aspect of the songwriting. My favorite song on the album is "I Constantly Thank God for Esteban." I love everything about this album, and I don't hate a thing about it. Although it could be a bit less repetitive. If someone stole this album from me, I would buy it again in an instant. // 10

More Panic At The Disco reviews rating latest review