Vulgar Display Of Power Review

9.7
 9.6
 9.7
Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: tulsa29, on august 30, 2007

Sound: The sound on Vulgar Display Of Power is heavy, brutal and everything Pantera fans want. The line up of songs are: Mouth Of War, A new Level, Walk, F--king Hostile, This Love, Rise, No Good, Live In A Hole, Regular people, By Demons Be Driven and Hollow. To most people's opinion this is the best Pantera album, but I don't agree, it is a magnificent album though. Darrell Dimebag Abott's riffs are as amazing as ever and Vinnie's (drummer) drumming is fast, thudding and amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics in the album are about society and politics in most of the songs. In F--king Hostile one part of the lyrics are "You're writing tickets man, my mum got jumped they ran," that's saying the police force n america sucks ass basically, that song just bitches about america's problems. Phil's lyrics are brutal sang/screamed extremely well and the lyrics fit well in every song. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the other Pantera albums most people with say this is the best one but I don't think it is, it is amazing though. The most incredible songs on this album are: F--king Hostile and (by popular vote) Walk. I love everything about this album, the chainsaw riffs are amazing, the lightening fast drums and bass are great and the brutal lyrics mean something and are very inspiring. If I lost this album I wouldn't be too bothered because I have the Reinventing Hell album and I have all the songs on my computer. Over all this album should please any Pantera fan but if your new to pantera start on an earlier album such as Cowboys From Hell or something. // 10

Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: Gopher636, on september 19, 2005

Sound: Wow. Just wow. Pantera is an amazing band, and this is an amazing album from an amazing band. Seriously, this album is as good as thrash metal gets. Dime's (RIP) ripping guitar, Rex's furious bass, Vinnie's pummeling drums and Phil's intense vocals give this album a vibe like no other. Anyone who says they like metal should get this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics could be horrible, and they'd still be amazing, thanks to the way mr. Anselmo delivers them. But, they're all good, all about being pissed, kicking ass and taking names. // 8

Overall Impression: This is Pantera's best album. All the songs are good. 01. Mouth For War - very thrashy, heavy and brutal. great song 4/5. 02. A New Level - from the start, its not too heavy, and after the adrenaline rus h from track 1's Breakdown, youd apt to change it. That'd be a mistake. Great song. Very thrashy and angry 4/5. 03. Walk - very good song. A little slow, but good. I've heard it too much though, so it got old for me. But it's still good 3.8/5. 04. Fucking Hostile - one of the best metal songs ever written. Good, intelligent lyrics, although you might not figure it by the name. Great song, thrashy as it gets 5/5. 05. This Love - everyone else likes it, it never really appealed to me 2/5. 06. Rise - thrashy and heavy, it screams go kill someone. Amazing song 5/5. 07. No Good (Attack The Radical) - good song, I like how Phil mumbles the lyrics in the beginning under the awesome bassline. Very cool song 4/5. 08. Live In A Hole - good song. A little quirky, what with the talk-box riff, but a cool song nonetheless 4/5. 09. Regular People (Conceit) - my favorite song on the album. Thrash all the way through, with evil, ass kicking and profane lyrics to boot. Awesome 5/5. 10. By Demons Be Driven - pretty good song. This and This Love are the weaker ones, but yet, they still kick ass. This song isn't talked about much, but it's good. I just don't like it 2/5. 11. Hollow - great ballad. Amazing song. 'nuff said. Especially the 5 second breakdown in the heavy part. Listen to it and you/ll see what I mean 5/5. // 1

Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: YngwieM, on december 17, 2003

Sound: This album is heavier than any other Pantera album by far. I prefer Cowboys From Hell rather than this album but it is pretty even matched. It is mixed extremely well. Like all of Pantera's songs, all the songs have something to do with hate plain and simple thus making it an amazing album to mosh and trash stuff to. This album would force dance fans to love metal forever! // 10

Lyrics: What can I say? The best metal singer of all time. The only instance where you don't like the vocals is if you don't like metal, period. // 10

Overall Impression: Songs that really stand out for me would include Mouth For War, Walk, Rise, Regular People and Hollow. Now that's five songs out of eleven that really stand out...that alone should make you buy the album! The solos are just as scary in this album than in Cowboys and Phil's singing hasn't really changed (which is a good thing) although he has cut down on the amount of screaming. Superb album which ANY metal fan must have! // 8

Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: ravenous, on december 18, 2003

Sound: The sound on Vulgar Display of Power was a step up from CFH. It was the start of the sonic force of metal. Pantera did it better than anyone has or will. Dime's riff are both complex and simple at the same giving into some amazing textures. Phil's constant screams help give added crunch in a lot of songs. Overall in my opinion this is Pantera's best album. // 10

Lyrics: Phil really got his head out of his ass on this one. Instead of going for overall sound, he went more along the lines of brutality. This is were all the sounds that would be Pantera I think were created. The songs range from good to amazing lyric wise. With the amazing out doing the good. // 10

Overall Impression: When this album came out not really sounded like it. I feel that the song that really sticks out is Regular People: Conceit. I love the guitar riff in that song. Nothing really bad can be said about this album. It has amazing sound and can easily not leave your player for a while. It is worth buying it, new people to Pantera or to heavy metal should definetly get a copy. It is a piece of metal music that is unreplacable. // 10

Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on january 03, 2005

Sound: Pantera focused all the way to try to make a heavy, brutal sound. Their 1992 album, Vulgar Display Of Power, is a strong (possibly the strongest) example. Their recently killed and forever missed guitarist and proud Cowboy From Hell, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott (called Diamond Darrell at the time the album was released), vulgarly displayed his incredible, dangerous and worshipped guitarwork on the eleven tracks of this album. Seriously, his sound was like it was the heaviest anyone can get. His clean sound, like on "This Love" and "Hollow", was finely articulated and just as good as the heavy sounds. The solos are fast, technical, powerful, clear-sounding, and sometimes creepy just the way I like it. Vinnie Paul, Dime's brother and drummer for Pantera (my sympathies to you and family about the incident), finely keeps the heavy beat and becomes a part of Dime's riffs. When Dime does the solos, bassist Rex usually keeps takes on the rhythm sound and guides the band through. On the song "Fucking Hostile", they were as fast as thrash metal, and on the classic "Walk" features a catchy riff and fast solo. And I love the tempo changes on area on "This Love". // 10

Lyrics: Phil Anselmo has a healthy, honest way of writing lyrics. The writing techniques are cool, like on "This Love" ('I'd kill myself for you I'd kill you for myself') and "Live In A Hole" ('My fear grips the will of stone my grip fears I'll die alone'). His singing is great because it's like some kind of hardcore cowboy lol. I also revere him for his slow singing like on the ballads (equally heavy) "This Love" and "Hollow". // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the two albums I got for X'mas. Ever since Dime was pointlessly shot and killed, I knew I had to pay my respects and get this brilliant album and one of his best work. Impressive songs are "A New Level", "Walk", "Fucking Hostile", "This Love" (my personal favorite), "Live In A Hole", and "Hollow", which lyrics remind me of the loss of Dime. Get this album. Definately worth buying. // 10

Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: BlindingStrings, on june 29, 2005

Sound: This album is brutal and moving in so many ways. You can tell the sound was the sincere feeling going to the band and the brutal honest just draws you in to an amazing story of love and hate in one amazing album by our late Dimebag. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are unforgiving, cruel, ignorant and powerful. Perfect. If you want to listen to the lyrics, just lyrics, itll be hard. It's a hard thing to ignore the music, but the lyrics are great. Phil can really belt out the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: My faveorite pantera album, it has such an impressive and big sound. The drums are great, and the bass keeps the songs flowing. Great album, and I think it should be hanged in a museum. Well, be playing very loud in a museum so the whole world can here it. // 10

Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 18, 2005

Sound: I love this album. This is the album that hooked me into Pantera. Ever since I heard "Walk," I knew I had to buy it. Nothing but heavy, smash mouth, in your face metal on this album, but that's what a rock album should sound like. Phil's singing, Dimebag's guitar playing, Rex's bass playing, and Vinnie's drumming blend together perfectly. // 10

Lyrics: Phil's lyrics on this album are all about one feeling. Anger. And anger is one of the best expressionary factors. This is one of those albums that you could kick someones ass to. Awsome! // 10

Overall Impression: This is definatley one of the best metal albums ever. I would recomend this album to any metal/rock fan. My favorite songs are "Walk," "This Love," "Mouth Of War" and "F--king Hostile." This album should be have it's own monument. If I lost this album, I would go out and buy it again in a heartbeat. RIP Dimebag Darrell. // 10

Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: Viscosity, on march 20, 2006

Sound: Wow. Great album all around, I love everything about it. If only Dimebag never died, even know he was done with Pantera. This album is from 92 and he was still making quality stuff to date, but I think this was his best album on the guitar. I liked the simple, but heavy riff with the drums in "Walk" Vinnie Paul also did great on the album along with Phil Anselmo, and Rex Brown fills nicely on bass. Just sounded great overall. // 10

Lyrics: Even know some of it isnt exactly singing it all sounds good still, Anselmo sounds great on this album. I personally like "This Love" and "Walk" because of the chorus and just how its so brutal with the: Re-! Spect! Walk! and You Keep This Love! just because I can really feel it, kudos to Phil on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: It doesn't compare to other albums because they don't come close to it. My personal favorite on the album was "Walk" but other good ones were: "Mouth For War," "This Love," "A New Level" and all the rest of the songs. I wouldn't re-buy this album because I bought a second copy incase something happened to this, actually I didn't but I definetly should've done that. I just like the whole album. // 10

Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 01, 2006

Sound: The sound is amazing. Pantera is an amazing band and I was really surprised to see how good Dimebag Darell sounded and on this album he had amazing solos especially in Walk, Fucking Hostile, and Regular People (Conceit). The drums are pounding with rage on this album and the bass is completely insane especially in "Regular People". So get this album if your lookin for a guitar god and a drum beast. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are amazing. They are all about stuff happening everyday, kicking ass and shit like that. I love it in the lyrics where I think its Dimebag I'm not sure goes like "with your smart-ass attidude". // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other artists, it just kicks complete ass. The most impressive songs are, well every song is good I dont have a favourite, they all kick ass. I love everything about this album, the guitars, the bass, the drums, and the vocals are amazing. If it were stolen/lost I would buy it again defentitely. This is defentily and album to get if your a headbanger and a metal freak or something. // 10

Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: newbreed, on january 04, 2007

Sound: Right from the get go you know this is a heavier album than their previous one Cowboys From Hell. The CD isn't all about heavy riffs though, there are some slower parts to the CD such as This Love, and Hollow. Dimebag Darrells riffs are always great, just coming at you punch after punch and his solo's make you beg for more. Vinnie Paul on drums and Rex Brown on bass really make the rhythm's work and vocalist Phil Anselmo's voice is noticably deeper than it was in Cowboys From Hell. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are just what you would expect from Pantera and Phil Anselmo. Angry, volatile, aggressive, in your face, but at times hints of a softer side such as in the song "This Love". The lyrics go side by side with the music, both working on enhancing the other. Phil's style of vocals was meant for Pantera. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this CD is amazing. Every song is great. Best one's being "Walk" "F--king Hostile," "This Love" and "Hollow" though the other songs are great as well. It's pure blooded Pantera and there aren't many better things than that when you're a metal head. The album may be their best one, guitar wise it isn't as great as Cowboys from Hell technically, and it isn't as heavy as Far Beyond Driven, it fits right inbetween the two making for a spectacular album. If it were lost or stolen I would definatly buy it again. It is the sort of CD that you can listen to over and over again and never get bored with. // 10

Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 19, 2007

Sound: Sitting here listening to Vulgar Display Of Power by the metal giants Pantera, I can not think of a more perfect, heavy, in your face metal album ever! VDOP delivers some of Panteras best work ever, and trust me that's saying a lot considering I personally love everything they have ever done. But there second major label effort Vulgar serves up what it title implies, a Vulgar Display of Power! And in reality that is what Pantera are all about, Power, and trust me they deliver the power in this one. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are some of Phil's best work ever, gotta be some of the best metal lyrics you will ever hear on this album. Anything dealing with Strength, Dealing with Prejiduce, Satan, or the loss of a close one. This album also serves up some of the best metal chant songs ever, songs like Walk, This Love, A New Level and f--king Hostile are a few of the great songs to chug back some beers and sing along to. Unbeleivable Lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: One of the best metal albums ever. If you are a fan of metal and do not have it, get your ass off the computer and go f--kin' buy it please! If someone stole this album from me I would have to go buy another one, plug it into my car, turn it full blast, and find whoever stole this CD from me and use my Vulgar Display Of Power on them. // 10

Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: kfong03, on january 19, 2008

Sound: If someone was to ask me for a band that defined metal in the 80's-90's, my first response would be Pantera. And when asked for an album that defined Pantera, I'd doubtlessly reply "Vulgar Display of Power", as would many fans of the genre, here's why. People love metal for a lot of reasons, sometimes it's because of the earthuake-inducing riffs, sometimes it's because of the searing, face-melting solos, sometimes it might be the combination of thumping basslines paired with immaculate, skillful drumming, and sometimes it may be the angst-filled screaming-vocals. Whether you like one of the above mentioned qualities or are a big fan for each, you can look no further than "Vulgar Display of Power" by Pantera, in this monster-of-an-album, you get all four of the aforementioned qualities all moulded together into one big artistic masterpiece, you hame Dime dishing out some of the best groove riffs ever (Mouth For War, A New Level and Walk just to name a few), and absolutely first-class guitar solos: fancy a bit of emotion? The solo in "Hollow" would be more than enough to satisfy your needs but if you just want the good old virtuoso shredding, "F**king Hostile", "Rise", "Walk" and basically every other track on this album would give you your just deserts. // 9

Lyrics: I used to think metal was all godly guitar work and absolutely rubbish lyrics, so imagine my surprise when I took some time to read the lyrics on the album, you'd think it was some big literacy essay if you could decipher Phil's screaming when he delivers them. The lyrics here are excellent, they fit the music and in my opinion was very well thought out, Phils's a good singer/screamer and so the way he delivers the lyrics absolutely fit the mood for each song, whether it's a ballad or a distorted shred-piece. // 9

Overall Impression: Pantera is recognised around the globe as one of the greatest metal bands ever, and with albums such as "Vulgar", you'd doubtlessly agree too. This album is for any metal fan, the guitarist/drummer who wants some material to practice with and become nspired by, or bascially anyone who'd like some good old groove metal with all the rough bits left in, extremely recommended. Buying a spare copy/replacing a lost copy is also recommended as this album is something that you should not miss, whether you buy it or download it, I'd would seriously urge you to have a listen to this album. // 9

Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: Stratogibson, on july 28, 2008

Sound: Vulgar Display of Power is probably Pantera's most well-known album. Spawning Hit songs such as Mouth For War, This Love, and Walk, it gained momentum the moment it was released. Pantera's sound in this record is well, heavy. That might be an understatment but, when the listener hears the blood-pumping songs, it makes you want to head bang. The "Power Groove" sound that Pantera was known for was displyed terrifically in this album. Dimebag Darrell delivered some of his best riffs in this album. For any heavy metal fan out there, Vulgar Display Of Power is an essential album to purchase. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Vulgar Display Of Power have somewhat the same lyrical themes. At times the lyrics may sound recycled but, the way Phil Anselmo delivered them, he definitely gets his point across. Anselmo goes for a heavier and lounder growl in this album than his Halford-esque vocals in Cowboys from Hell. Anselmo is actually an underated singer in my opinion. He can have some good screaming vocals like in F--king Hostile, or he can go in more of a melodic direction as displayed in This Love. // 9

Overall Impression: Vulgar Display Of Power is one of Pantera's heaviest albums if not the heaviest. This is one if the best metal albums of the '90s and can hold its own with the all time great metal albums. The best songs on Vulgar are: Mouth For War, A New Level, Walk, This Love, By Demons Be Driven, and Hollow. I love every song on this album and the way they get thier sound across with the loud vocals, terrific bass lines, heavy guitar riffs and pounding drums. If I lost this album I would definitely buy it back. // 10

Vulgar Display Of Power Reviewed by: Blade686, on december 17, 2008

Sound: Vulgar Display of Power is a pure kickass groove-thrash metal at it's best, and should give any amateur a definition of how pure metal should be made, as this is one of the greatest masterpieces the world of metal ever encountered. For Pantera, it symbolizes their change from thrash-glam metal to pure groovey-thrash metal: Phil screaming at the top of his lungs, Dimebag giving the ball-kicker riffs and shit-melting solos, Rex giving the super-fast and heavy bass beats and last but not least, Vinnie Paul giving the ultra-awesome and fast beats to the song. This album gives a great combination between kickass-attitude metal with songs like Mouth For War, f--king Hostile and Rise, while leaving some space for feel and soul with songs like Hollow, and it's really innovative, never before seen in metal. Here is my rating for each song specifically (ordered by appearance on setlist): 01.Mouth For War: great opening for an album, probably one of my favorite Pantera songs. Includes epic riffs, brutal singing and massive badass attitude. 5/5 02.A New Level: pretty heavy song, and groovey. A very great solo, yet there's something about this song that I can't relate to. 8/10 03.Walk: Re, Spect, Walk! need I say more? One of Pantera's most famous songs and not for nothing, it has one of Dime's best solos ever. Actually not a typical song for Pantera if looking by the lyrics, but it's groovey and listening to it while walking is definitely a great experience. 10/10 04.f--king Hostile: pure thrash, very fast-paced song, can be considered as one of Pantera's anthems, yet it's a little repeatitive. 9/10 05.This Love: song with a lot of feel, Dime's slow solos here really rule, and the riff on the fast part is amazing. This song kind of brings back memories. One of my favorites from Pantera. 10/10 06.Rise: this song is f--king brutal, you'll never find something as brutal as this. Badass song. 9.5/10 07.No Good (Attack the Radical): such an underrated song, it's very very good and Dime's solo is one of the best!! 9.5/10 08.Live In A Hole: never gave this one too much attention, I can't give it a grade. 09.Regular People (Conceit): very very awesome opening. I don't like the chorus a lot but this song is pure P-A-N-T-E-R-A. 9.5/10 10.By Demons Be Driven: probably one of my favorites of this album. One awesome riff that reminds you of a demon's howl, and a natural harmonics solo that just screams awesome. 10/10 11.Hollow: another song with a lot of feel, I really like it, and Dime's tone on this one is heart-melting, great ending for a most awesome album. 10/10 // 10

Lyrics: Very in-your-face style lyrics, talking about politics, about poseours, about love. Shipped with a cargo full of anger, Vulgar Display of Power is a very straight attack into others, and it's very powerful, I warn you, try not to get offended too much in case you're a poseour, because Walk for example is a direct message to you. // 10

Overall Impression: Vulgar Display of Power is, as I said above, a pure metal masterpiece, and defines how metal should look like. It's probably my favorite Pantera album, and it's a musthear for everyone who defines himself a metal fan, and the material that it contains is a direct lesson for every musician who wants to learn how to make good metal. Rock on and RIP Dimebag. // 10

More Pantera reviews rating latest review
+ Piss [Single] 8.2 04/13/2012