Sunny Side Up Review

9.3
 7.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Sunny Side Up Reviewed by: felixmaynard, on february 01, 2012

Sound: Paolo is a world class song writer. This really comes through in all the instruments that were used to record this album. Paolo Nutini veterans will recognise that there are a lot more instruments used to record this album, and also I would say that because of that it sounds a lot more fuller than his dbut: "These Streets". The style of his music has now grown into its full potential, to fit the mannerisms of his voice, and this album seems a lot more varied and incorporates traditional and blues music, as well as those all singing, all dancing favourites; and happily relates to its acoustic routes many a time. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics really compliment the chord progressions; for example in the song "Candy" (track 5) a more melancholy lyric is sung on the line which is played with an Am. As ever Paolo graces us with the beauties of his voice, which is definitely the highlight of the album. What more can I say apart from Track 1? // 10

Overall Impression: The variety of this album can scare others off, and it is a shock to the system for those who love "These Streets". But the variety is what sets it apart from artists like Jack Johnson. Even if I hadn't lost this album I would buy it again, and spares for when I lose both those copies. In fact I own it twice so far... // 9

More Paolo Nutini reviews rating latest review