Getting Away With Murder Review

9.2
 9.4
 8.9
Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: Dyuha, on september 02, 2004

Sound: Unlike the many musicians who have changed their sound in accordance with the trends of the day, Papa Roach have developed by turning a deaf ear to the whims of the industry and the advice of so-called experts. These guys have combined so many different aspects of rock for this new record. They have not only experimented but they have mastered it. Each song has its own identity. They return a little more to their screaming rap-metal roots while making sure they still have a solid foothold in the rock industry. There's elements from both genres throughout the album. Getting Away With Murder is still loud and abrasive, however the real power and passion in the music lies in what the band has previously downplayed melody and vulnerability. // 10

Lyrics: A little rap here and there, but overall just great vocals by Coby on this one, truley, he has an amazing voice. On past records, his vocals were vehicles to express contempt and resentment, but after surviving the Benson bootcamp, Shaddix learned that he could express a myriad of emotions. Shaddix screams and keeps us entertained. The second half of the album shows us that he can also sing, in addition to earn himself a sore throat. In addition to exploring new musical and emotional realms on Getting Away With Murder, Shaddix also approached his lyrics from a different vantage point. Instead of immersing himself in hostility as with Infest or wallowing in dejection like on Lovehatetragedy, the singer examined the repercussions of past behaviors and expressed a desire to reinvent himself. // 10

Overall Impression: With Getting Away With Murder, Papa Roach offer fans of this sound an appropriately hard punch in the face. But there's a hollow sound as the bones collapse, because all that's supporting it is expensive art direction and a big scaffold of cliches. If you're willing to tolerate a few below-average songs, this album will probably surprise you. // 10

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2004

Sound: The sound is new and harder then ever. When I first heard this cd, it was constantly on my cd player. They have been getting back to their roots and increasing the sound. They have also stayed mostly true to their rock genre. This cd has some great guitar riffs, and the bass and drums are fantastic. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the cd are great and are deep. From song like Scars which is a song that went on repeat on my stereo, "I tear my heart open, I sew myself shut. My weakness is that I care to much, and my scars remind me that the past is real. I tear my heart open just to feel" These lyrics offer meaning and metaphorically relate to alot of life. Also songs like Blood "Does anybody around me feel the same? put your fist up and avenge your pain" This is a song that is sure to pump you up. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is very well made, and the style of music has remained hard rock and great with changing there style slighty. The most impressive songs from the album would have to be Scars, Sometimes, Blood and Take Me. Although each and every song on the cd offers its own feel and each are great songs. If this cd would get stolen I would definatly buy it again. I suggest everyone to buy the cd. // 10

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2004

Sound: The Roach is back and better than ever! This cd combines the rock anthems and rap of Infest with the singing and the melody of Lovehatetragedy into a unique blend. The guitars are stronger than ever, Jerry really show his stuff in some of the songs. This should bring back old fans that miss the nu metal action and keep the new ones who love the rock. // 10

Lyrics: Jacoby Shaddix brought back some of his raps while keeping his singing power. His lyrics has progressed with each album. While he haven't venture far from his usual topics about angst and other things, He move on from the deep depression of things. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd will bring back the old fans while keeping new ones. This cd is all around good albums with such rock anthems as "Getting Away With Murder" and rock ballads such as "Scars" and "Sometimes". This blew me away! I didn't expect the cd will be this good, I would buy this cd again if I lost it. // 10

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: silverymetaller, on september 06, 2004

Sound: The sound of the whole album is amazing. The drum n the guitar combines very well. There is less rap and more scream/sing. He can rap but sing is just better for him. This album shows Coby (the vocalist) has real telent. They are no just another bands that sellout. The flow of the album is great. They put a powerful track "Blood" as the first track. And put the rock ballad such as "Scars" in the middle. And then back to those powerful tracks "Tyranny Of Normality", "Do Or Die" in the end. // 8

Lyrics: Most of the people can relate to the lyrics. The lyrics show how Coby lives and feels. Successful lyrics is always something true. It can always touch the listeners' hearts. Coby has improved the way he writes. He can really express how he feels through the lyrics. He is trying to help others to get through the problems he has been going through. "No, I'm not a failure, I got something to prove", "Does anyone around me feel the same, Put your fist up and vent your pain" are obiviously that he wanna help the people outside who feel unrespected or mistreated. Also, the songs in the album have different subjects. Like "Scars" is about love, "Getting Away With Murder" is about their political views, "Take Me" is about mistreated and ignorance. // 10

Overall Impression: It's definitely the best one of Papa Roach. They have grown up. The lyrics are no longer about a sad childhood or broken home. The music are no longer just "sad" or "angry". Many bands never changed themselves after released the success of one album because they averse to take the risk. But Papa Roach do. And this change let us see a different side of them, the side of their telented. If I lost it or broke it, I would definitely buy it again. It is one of the best album this year. // 10

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 06, 2004

Sound: The sound of this was amazing, from start to finish there wasnt a single track I felt like I wanted to skip, when I got the album I was afraid that it would be one of the albums which has about 7 good songs and the rest you just get annoyed with, but this has some great riffs and Coby really shines on this album. I would like to have seen maybe an acoustic song from them, "Sometimes" looked promising but it broke out into another really good song. // 10

Lyrics: Coby's song writing lyrics are great. They really got the lyrics spot on in this album. The lyrics went very well with the music which already went great on their own. Coby shined on this album as I've said before. // 8

Overall Impression: I like this album more than Infest probably as it really shows what the band can do. The most impressive songs were "Not Listening," "Sometimes," "Blanket Of Fear" and a few more, I love the way the entire album is so easy to listen to, some albums I just cant put on and listen to all the way through, but I can with this. I would definatly buy it again if it were to be stolen. // 10

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2005

Sound: Papa Roach has done it again! They have come out with an amazing new album. This CD's sound is different than the other 2 CDs. Coby stops rapping and starts singing. The emotion this band shows is incredible! With songs like Take Me and Scars, it describes the inner struggle some of us might face. This CD creates an emotion so strong it will knock you off your feet! // 10

Lyrics: Like I said, its amazing and brilliant! What more can I say? Look at the lyrics and you'll be impressed. If I could, I'd give this a 7 out of 5. // 10

Overall Impression: This is just as good if not better than Infest (Lovehatetragedy was horrible so it doesn't count). This CD could have at least 5 of their songs be #1 hits. This is an amazing CD! Buy it! If any one stole this CD, I'd hunt him/her down, eat there liver and puke it down their throat and kill them, then go buy another CD! // 10

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2004

Sound: The songs on this album still show the heavyness, emotion an talent that this amzing band have, they just seem 2 have steeped up their whole sound. Its way more melodic than on previous albums, 'Take Me' showcases this excellently, there R more harmonies added in, 4 a much fuller, melodic and crisp sound. Most of the melodies on this album resemble that of the legend of such albums as Nirvana Nevermind, and Metallica The Black Album, which I think is a gd thing. I'm also liking their acoustic side, which comes as a complete change, as they have previously done no acoustic songs, I think that this was a gd idea due 2 havin an album with heavy and lite tracks on, it shows more variety in their music which is also anutha gd thing, take 'Sometimes', very outstanding production also on this track. And takin alook at the old P Roach, as afta all this is still the sae band that bought out such hits as Last Resort, 'Do Or Die' hints 'Blood Brothers' straight away, which is ultimately kl! // 10

Lyrics: There are a lot of songs on this album that are noticeably heartfelt, and make you think about what Jacoby has possibly been thru in his own life, listen to 'Scars'. The lyrics seem to sit really nicely with the guitars and drums, this may be own to production or skill, but w/e it is, it's perfect on evry song! As a songwroter myself, this becomes clear to the ear immediately. The songs are much more brighter on this record, and show a positive outlook on life. // 10

Overall Impression: This album in no way shows Papa Roach selling out, if NE1 was wondering, this seems like the band with a massive outlook and future in the rock hall of fame, an so on. They take on the alternative battle, and come out on top of all of the rest of their peers, for example, Linkin Park an Limp Bizkit, no offence to nu metal fans, but this album is harder and more melodic and full of life than NE nu metal, so it seems to set itself in its own genre, of self inflicted riffs, beautiful mentality going into evry song an, and passion from all of the musicians shines like the sun on this album, enuff said, buy it you thieves, no regrets will B felt at all, this is tha best P Roach album to date, no exceptions, and all the songs are instantly catchy, Getting Away With Murder is possibly the worst track on the album, yet it still sounds frech and new. // 10

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: hedbeeninfested, on september 03, 2004

Sound: Yet another evolution for Papa Roach. This album seems to be the perfect mix between infest and lovehatetragedy. A few of the songs have harder beats and more screaming with a little rap. When others such as "Scars" have a melodic tune with Jacoby showing that he really can sing! Jerry plays a lot more up on the higher strings this time around... with even an acousticy opening to "Sometimes". They mix the sounds of punk and dave's hard hitting metal sound drums. A great new yet old sound from Papa Roach. // 10

Lyrics: Jacoby does it again. Giving us another cd that we can relate too. With songs about trying to help your friends through their problems to more relationship trouble. He has definatly improved his skills as a singer exploring with different kinds of music. He brings back some rap and screaming but overall its more like the lyrics on LoveHateTragedy. Jacoby has definatly put everything into this album and deserves to be congradulated for this. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Papa Roach's best album so far I think. It mixes their last 2 together for a perfect blend of a great cd. Although old Papa Roach fans may hear it and not like it as much. I promise in time it will grow on anyone who gives it a chance. This album will have you rocking out in your car for sure. And when you buy it at best buy you get free unreleased Papa Roach songs off napster. Which both are ausome also if I say so myself. Overall Getting Away With Murder gives you what you have asked for over the past years and then some. It also comes with a "Making of Getting Away With Murder" on their cd. I would definatly buy this cd again! // 10

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: disturbd, on november 15, 2004

Sound: I always thought Papa Roach was pretty good, but then Lovehatetragedy comes along and screws that up completely. I thought the cd sucked and was lacking any good songs, and at the time actually prefered the rap (Infest) to the rock (Lovehatetragedy) with them. Fast forward a few years. Now they release Getting Away With Murder. I was very skeptical as to whether it would be a good album. I saw the vid for "Getting Away With Murder" and that changed. The song was great, and I've probably listened to it a few hundred times and counting. Well, everyone knows the sophomore album of most bands suck, so couldn't expect much more, but most bands dont recover from a flop like Papa Roach did with Lovehatetragedy. This album is great, just to say the least. It kills both albums. The album is also vastly different from itself. Each song is very different from the rest of the album and holds a lot of different styles all in one album. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, the song is what you'd expect from Papa Roach, but so much more at the same time. The lyrics are very different for each song with some being of drugs, and other being of politics. Lyrics work well with the music on every song. I always thought Coby had a decent voice, but that he should put it to good use other than rapping, which has been done with this album and really works better than the previous style. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, its a great album, can't say I hate anything about it thankfully. The best songs are Getting Away With Murder, Scars, Blood, and Be Free. In the case that it was lost, stolen, or broken, I'd buy it again. // 10

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2005

Sound: I like Papa Roach. I bought their first album "Infest" on holiday from a grizzly looking CD shop which turned out to be a goldmine for rockers. The first album was great and new I had to get more of this stuff. So I did, I liked the song "Getting Away With Murder" so I thought that was a good one to get next. And I managed to strike gold with this one. The sound of the band is a lot more mainstream than the origninal stuff. A lot more singing, no rapping at all. The songs a lot more tuneful and the screaming plenteous for any angst filled teenagers. The music seems not to take very long to get into, but after a while you start to have a craving for it again. For example after about 5 or so listens I thought I had it pretty well sussed, but when I saw Papa Roach live on Kerrang I remebered just how cool and catchy some of the songs were and now I have grown to like the sound more than ever. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are a lot more varied than the predecessing albums. The origninal dealt with the feelings of urges to commit suicide and drinking problems. The second and very impressive "Lovehatetragedy" album dealt mostly with failing relationships (doesn't rock just make us feel good inside) but now it is quite a lot more than drink, death and relationships, it is about feelings of guilt and apologies for you not being there as much as you should have, which for all those teenagers who use rock as a vehicle for getting rid of such feelings this is for you. The lyrics also fit beautifully with the rhythm of the songs and the singing tunes are very addictive. // 8

Overall Impression: Does it compare with other albums? I do think so, on my rock scene especially the job of pop new metal has been taken up a lot of times by such artists as Linkin Park and Alien Ant Farm, but Papa Roach does definitley excells or at least compares to other artists of it's genre. What are the most impressive songs on the album? There are a lot: "Not Listening," "Take Me," "Getting Away With Murder," "Be Free," "Scars," "Done With You." If I'm not careful I could list every song so I will be careful. I love this album because it is powerful and poetic, I don't hate anything about it, just maybe that it doesn't have that edge the other albums had. If someone stole it I would get it back definitley. It is important to me and is in the top 5 of my music collection. And all you rockers, it ain't a bad collection. // 8

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: Stealthbass, on november 07, 2005

Sound: The sound is great. This is what modern rock is. They have some great solos and the ensemble is one of the best. Great guitar and bass effects and parts. The music is alive and very energetic. It is not boring like many other bands. The bass sounds distorted and then more of a slap bass, and this throws in a great combination of songs. A great mix of both happy and sad and painfully awesome. // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics. They are original. They flow perfectly with the music. They are also different and not repetitive. The singer has great control. He is very experienced in singing. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is off the scales and is in its' own category of (numero uno) #1. The most immpresive songs in the album are: every single one. You just can't choose between a very. The whole album is excellent. I don't hate anything. I love every thing from this album. If it were stolen/lost I would def. buy it back. // 10

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: superguitarist1, on november 14, 2005

Sound: It's a great sound quality. Plenty of variety in the tone of the music, but not much in the instruments. They used a lot of different tunings. The vocals do the songs justice. The lead singer screams alot, so that adds a nice little twist. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very emo (emotional). They talk a lot about what many average americans deal with in life. Betrayal, heart breaks, life lessons, the whole nine yards. Of course, emo music is somewhat gothic, so that's a little bit of a turn off, when or if that happens. But it didn't this time. The lyrics work so well with the instruments that it turned out more rock than gothic. Big thumbs up on that. The singer, like I said before, is an amazing vocalist. However, screaming through half the album is not the way to the love of the fans. // 8

Overall Impression: I really don't think you can compare this to anyone/thing else, because it's different from everything in some way. My personal favorites songs are Blood, Not Listening, Take Me, Getting Away With Murder, Do Or Die, Scars, and almost every other song on the album. The only songs I don't like are Tyranny Of Normality, and Blanket Of Fear. The rest are good. I would definitely buy this album again. // 10

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: MetaltilIm60, on january 30, 2006

Sound: If you listened to this record right after hearing Infest than you will swear up and down that this CD was done by a completely different band. The sound is more poppy and not as heavy as infest and is even poppier than lovehatetragedy. The lyrics are emotional but I wish that the emotions where angrier like on Infest. The guitars aren't as heavy and the record seems like it was made to be even more accesible than Lovehatetragedy. // 8

Lyrics: If the band members had dyed black hair and swoops than they would be emo. The songs are definately emotional but I'm not sure that Jacoby Shaddix's voice was meant for crooning like on this album. Nothing realy special. The best hooks are in "Getting Away With Murder," "Scars" and the opening lines to "Blood." Not totally bad but not good compared to their earlier work. // 7

Overall Impression: This seemed like an exoerimental record for them. I've noticed that ever since Infest they have started getting softer and softer. This is probably their worst album. Lovehatetragedy was somewhat emotional but they still had some heavy stuff thrown in. The heaviest stuff on this record is "Getting Away With Murder." // 8

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: Uzi, on july 03, 2006

Sound: Cool. Every song in this album is good. Great belting. Not too repetitive. I like the drums in this album. // 7

Lyrics: Good lyrics. Very easy to understand. No stupid annoying metaphors. Mostly positive songs. This CD changed my life. It makes you want to get away with murder. After listening to this album, I've been letting off steam a lot. And I've been getting lots of respect from those who tried to pick a fight with me for the wrong reasons. // 8

Overall Impression: 01. Blood (Empty Promises) - they could probably save many suicidal teens from themselves with this really powerful track. I like the guitars in this song. Simple but really catchy. It makes you feel stronger. "Does it in your blood to betray the ones you love?" This song is definitely antisuicide. It's even in the Saw II soundtrack. 02. Not Listening - another really powerful track. Great belting. 03. Stop Looking Start Seeing - "The truth doesn't have to hurt." "Theres a time to lead and a time to follow." These lines really stuck in my head. And helped me a lot with problems that I have to face through. 04. Take Me - this song is just ok for me. 05. Getting Away With Murder - this one really stuck into my head. And it helped me let off steam when I get really pissed. "I'm addicted to your punishments. And you're the master. And I'm waiting for disaster". I'm no longer a target for bullies in school. 06. Be Free - a really feel good song. About being yourself. 07. Done With You - a song about a relationship. 08. Scars - about helping people who doesn't want to be helped. 09. Sometimes - it was just ok for me. 10. Tyranny Of Normality - super cool riff. Really cool belting at the end. 11. Do Or Die This album is worth buying. But not a must own. If you're easily depressed or can't stop abusing yourself, this is for you. If you're sick and tired of being sick and tired, this is for you. // 7

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 27, 2006

Sound: The sound has changed completely on this album and it is better than their past albums in my opinion. The guitar on this album is hardcore and kicks complete ass and their is a guitar solo on this album! The drums on this album are harder than they have ever been and they sound amazing because they are fast-paced. The bass on this album is amazing and kicks complete ass especially in Getting Away With Murder I find the bass is amazing in that song. So amazing album when it comes down to sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very deep on this album and Coby can about anything like girls to getting drunk and stuff like that. I can kind of relate to the lyrics right now because something happened with me and this girl and it's just pissing me off when I think about it but this album kind of makes me better. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare because Papa Roach have their own sound of Rock. I dont have any favourite songs on this album all of them rule a lot. I love everything about this album and hate nothing about it because it also has something new that Papa tried to do on this album and it has a lot more normal rock than rap-metal. If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy this album again because I enjoy it a lot. I would recommend this album to any fan of Rock and anyone trying to try out Papa Roach pick up this album and you will not regret it. // 10

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: JL Sevenfold, on march 12, 2007

Sound: All right, this is my favorite CD by Papa Roach, and I'm writing this after the Paramour Sessions came out. I'm not saying the other CDs by P Roach aren't good, but this is my favorite sound from them so far, since they are always changing the way they sound. Jacoby does a great job as usual on vocals, I will go in depth later. Tobin has a ton of good bass lines, best parts are in Stop Looking Start Seeing- I'm not a bass player, but I think he throws in some slaps in the outro and bridge, and they sound killer. Jerry comes up with a lot of good guitar riffs, like the Do or Die intro/verse and Take Me, both great songs. Dave uses a lot of good drum lines to make his parts sound amazing, especially in the Not Listening choruses and the solo in the outro. Overall there isn't a bad song, and eaach track flows smoothly into the next. // 10

Lyrics: On GAWM, Jacoby uses some screaming and singing like normal to make his parts sound good. He also has a lot of good lyrics, like in Not Listening he goes "If not me, then who? If not now, then when?", and in the CD booklet this is addressed to the commander in chief, making it seem even cooler. His voice is a perfect fit for the band's style, and this is a fun CD to sing. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I already said, this is my favorite CD by P Roach. There's nothing below amazing on this CD. The best songs would have to be Not Listening, Take Me, and Tyranny of Normality, which has a sick bridge. This was the 2nd CD I bought by P Roach, now I'm a huge fan and have all four. Definetly a must buy for fans of P-Roach, or any of their songs in general. // 10

Getting Away With Murder Reviewed by: petey gunnz, on april 19, 2008

Sound: This album is simply amazing, every song from the first track to the last track amazed me. Buying this CD I already knew all the singles and a couple of others which were amazing but the songs I didn't know ended up being the best songs on the CD. I own the other papa roach CDs and they were much different and I know most fans don't dig there sound now, but it's awesome I do miss the rapping though. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics do not fail to impress on this CD, the biggest hits lyric wise have to be blood, sometimes, take me, done with you, and do or die. The songs are all put together so well that this CD can be played over a million times straight threw and you wont get bored of it. Jacobys energy is felt in every single song, he doesn't just make you hear the words he makes you feel them. It's also really easy to relate to all these songs except maybe 1 or 2 of them. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall just go out and buy this CD it's one of my favorite CDs of all time just 'cause every single song is a 10/10, I'd go into detail about each one but I think you should find out yourself how good this CD really is. The 3 songs that I'd say really stand out are blood, done with you and sometimes these songs really don't feel papa roachish at all but happen to be the best songs on the CD. I love everything about this CD, there's nothing to hate. Now please go buy it! // 10

More Papa Roach reviews rating latest review